Sign in to follow this  
therandomredstone

Dont Lose Hope

Don't lose your hope.. not all players in the wasted Russian wasteland are evil... not all just wants your goods.. some want companionship.. some would like someone to travel with, to cry their self to sleep with, someone to stay warm with inside of a house that a happy family used to live in, while the undead scrape against the window, trying to get in. Some cant take DayZ alone. some cant manage to survive.. to live.. without you.. YOU.. 

The next player you see..... Treat them as if you were the reason they died or not, you were the reason for their happiness or not, they are about to die from dehydration, but when you hand them that full canteen of purified water, they get this warm feeling in their stomach.. "is this the one that will save me? be there and jump out of the trees when a bandit is trying to take form me? will he follow me to the end?" when he is done drinking out of the canteen, a connection is made.. one that cant be broke..

He, Is, OUT THERE... Waiting for YOU.. to be their Savior..

Be the one that saved them in their nightmares... Be the one.. by their side..

Have you found the one in the wasteland? tell us how you met.. when the Bond was first sparked....

• Like 4

I thought at the end it was going to ask me to donate to unicef or something.

• Like 1

The last survivor I encountered at a military base saw me in the barrack and camped outside to kill me with a shotgun. AKM wins ofcourse. To shoot him I waited for him to shoot me first though.

I do not give up hope but I will change my military base encounter policies for good. If you see me and instead of saying hi you pull out your weapon then you're hostile.

I already treat everyone good. Didn't lose my hope.

• Like 2

Never met a good-guy random.

1st time I ever tried helping someone like back in the mod, I offered food, he says, "I can't see it, point to it on the ground for me". I oblige, "It's right there buddy"... *wump* *wump* You are unconscious. You are dead. 

2nd time I was more cautious. I found someone in a building, shovel raised high in fear. I had him kneel and place his hand behind his head, calmly asking if he needed anything. The reply was thus, "I need your gear". "Not going to happen friend". "Well then, can you help me gear?" "Sure, follow me, keep that shovel on your back". Found him some gear, traveled with him for 14 minutes. Shared food, drink, and stories while looting. I find this man a .22 sport rifle. Here, I don't have round for it, but it's better than nothing if you can find rounds. "Oh yeah, I don't have rounds, let's find some." We split up, I come back to the meeting spot designated pre-hand. He shows up shortly after. "Find any?" "Nope..." "It's cool, we'll search the next town, I think it has a police station." "Oh ok. Wait, zombie, watch out behind you." As I turn with my axe being pulled out, the animation freezes me to a stand still, giving the man I trusted for half an hour to point the seemingly unloaded .22 at my head and fire a single shot, ending me. 

Bad news for him I got a respawn in the town right down the road and picked the police station clean. SKS, 30 rounds, and strip clip. Sure enough, he come down the road to the police station with my gear on. Revenge was sweet after I knee capped him. "Ain't this some Karma. Look who shows up after back stabbing me. Shouldn't have shot me in the back of the head, buddy. WE COULD HAVE BEEN FRIENDS!!!!". "It was an accident, I swear" he promised. The red mist took me. His blood must flow. And so it did. 

Player motives are opportunistic. Everyone who's not me is a potential psychopath. Stalking people to view fight or flight personalities is a surefire tactic. Lesson learned. If I do engage in contact with someone nowadays, I keep a gun pointed at the back of their skull and/or tell them I must knock them out momentarily and place the items on their person so it's less dangerous for me. If that all goes well, I usually say good luck, and I'll see you later, leaving them wondering with unanswered question like: Why wasn't I killed? Why did he leave me behind? Why don't we stick together? What caused this random act of good will?

No sense in having someone tag-along with you who's motives are to flee, but it's worth helping them. 

#grim-dark-friendly

Edited by IngloriouslyBad
  • Like 2

The last time I spawned on Experimental a guy chased me around with a sledgehammer. But whatever. It's cool. You can't lose hope when there was none to begin with.

A nice sad apocalypse song for this topic.

I actually have Mad World on my phone and sung it for the talent show, but a WAYY better song is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tlXRJTdz4 I actually listened to it while writing my post!

Edited by therandomredstone

The next player you see..... Treat them as if you were the reason they died or not, you were the reason for their happiness or not, they are about to die from dehydration, but when you hand them that full canteen of purified water, they get this warm feeling in their stomach.. "is this the one that will save me? 

But, but. This is the major cause of all of the KOS. They are not the reason you died or not. The game is to easy.

"Get a gun, get food. Great now that im 10 minutes into the game now what? Well I guess ill go kill someone."

Its probably not going to change until the game gets much much harder.

• Like 1

But, but. This is the major cause of all of the KOS. They are not the reason you died or not. The game is to easy.

"Get a gun, get food. Great now that im 10 minutes into the game now what? Well I guess ill go kill someone."

Its probably not going to change until the game gets much much harder.

It will never change, ever. In fact I'll argue that it'll be worse when we have to work to survive. After all, why loot when you can kill and steal? Right now there is no reason other than the lulz to kill someone outside of very specific circumstances. When that can of beans in your pack is actually rare and not to be found in 4/10 buildings but more like 1/20 there is all the more reason to kill people on sight for their goods.

• Like 1

Don't lose your hope.. not all players in the wasted Russian wasteland are evil... not all just wants your goods.. some want companionship.. some would like someone to travel with, to cry their self to sleep with, someone to stay warm with inside of a house that a happy family used to live in, while the undead scrape against the window, trying to get in. Some cant take DayZ alone. some cant manage to survive.. to live.. without you.. YOU.. 

The next player you see..... Treat them as if you were the reason they died or not, you were the reason for their happiness or not, they are about to die from dehydration, but when you hand them that full canteen of purified water, they get this warm feeling in their stomach.. "is this the one that will save me? be there and jump out of the trees when a bandit is trying to take form me? will he follow me to the end?" when he is done drinking out of the canteen, a connection is made.. one that cant be broke..

He, Is, OUT THERE... Waiting for YOU.. to be their Savior..

Be the one that saved them in their nightmares... Be the one.. by their side..

Have you found the one in the wasteland? tell us how you met.. when the Bond was first sparked....

%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%

• Like 2

It will never change, ever. In fact I'll argue that it'll be worse when we have to work to survive. After all, why loot when you can kill and steal? Right now there is no reason other than the lulz to kill someone outside of very specific circumstances. When that can of beans in your pack is actually rare and not to be found in 4/10 buildings but more like 1/20 there is all the more reason to kill people on sight for their goods.Why

Why? Why waste the bullet, when there is an even greater chance of them not having anything you need? Now, you have 1 less bullet, and a dead player with potentially ruined gear.

Think for the long term, rather than the short term.

I literally cannot understand this line of thinking. 

"Gee, since there is so little spawning nowadays, I guess I better potentially waste ammunition killing other people that probably don't have anything. That will be an effective use of my limited supplies!"

Edited by Whyherro123

one time I was run in elektro fresh spawn no loots no gun no axe :)

I was see one guy with nice burlap backpack also akm nice hat nice cool cloths and I was think 'haha I will try to kill because I have nothing for lose only nice gear for win' :D

I chase him around the town hall and in the fire house he was stop say me 'hello what you want???'

I say 'I am fresh spawn noob I am confuse because I need to drink but I cannot find where is the water please help me' :o

but was pure bullshits I am play from mod dayz and know every place for water  :ph34r:

he was very nice he say follow me and we go to the fountain for drink he say 'ok now drink' but I was pretend I don't understand and I say 'how??? is nothing happen when i am try' :(

he say 'ok do like this' and he do crouch and drink animation explain about scroll mouse wheel but before he finish I was make perfect 3 time punch on the head and he was unconscious :lol:

I take akm and put on him face and say 'YOU ARE NICE GUY TRY TO GIVE ASSIST FOR NOOB BUT I AM NOT NOOB I AM VETERN KILLER FROM OLD DAYS AND NOW YOU PAY FULL PRICE FOR DO STUPID' and then I make a headshot in his face :thumbsup:  :ph34r:

I was now with full gear best gun best backpack and also many bonus item like binocular and compass and he was in the beach think 'huh??? what was happen?' :huh:

I tell you what was happen you was focus on be Mr Nice guy and make a friend but you was forgot about #1 rule of dayz, is nobody to trust here, most person is killer bastard and maybe 1% is lonely need a friend loser like you  :rolleyes:

Edited by KoS
  • Like 1

Why? Why waste the bullet, when there is an even greater chance of them not having anything you need? Now, you have 1 less bullet, and a dead player with potentially ruined gear.

Think for the long term, rather than the short term.

I literally cannot understand this line of thinking. 

"Gee, since there is so little spawning nowadays, I guess I better potentially waste ammunition killing other people that probably don't have anything. That will be an effective use of my limited supplies!"

If I see a geared player and have the drop on them they messed up.  If I can one shot kill them I'm going to even if I only have 10 bullets in my AK101.  After all a geared player may have a couple boxes of 5.56.  If it's a fresh spawn I tend to help out cautiously, but rarely do I stick around them for long.

EDIT:  Forgot to respond to the OP and stay on topic.  Here's how I met the guy I still play with today: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/202752-being-friendly-finally-paid-off/

Edited by IReadTheAgreement

A nice sad apocalypse song for this topic.

C'mon man.

• Like 1

If I see a geared player and have the drop on them they messed up.  If I can one shot kill them I'm going to even if I only have 10 bullets in my AK101.  After all a geared player may have a couple boxes of 5.56.  If it's a fresh spawn I tend to help out cautiously, but rarely do I stick around them for long.

Think about the future, not right now in-game. There was a point in time during .50 experimental when players were worried about starving to death, much less finding "boxes of 5.56mm" ammo.

The Devs have stated in the past that loot spawns will eventually be reduced. If you have only 10 rounds, are you really going to waste it on the very-high chance that the other person has little of value on them?

Again, think long term, not short term. You can use bullets now, or you can save them for when they are really needed. Use the firearm, bluff, rob that player, but don't waste the ammunition.  Hopefully, weapons that lack a visible external magazine (shotguns, revolver, 91/30 Nagant, lever-action repeater) would be really good this, as they wouldn't be able to tell with a glace if you are blowing smoke out of your ass.

• Like 1

Think about the future, not right now in-game. There was a point in time during .50 experimental when players were worried about starving to death, much less finding "boxes of 5.56mm" ammo.

The Devs have stated in the past that loot spawns will eventually be reduced. If you have only 10 rounds, are you really going to waste it on the very-high chance that the other person has little of value on them?

Again, think long term, not short term. You can use bullets now, or you can save them for when they are really needed. Use the firearm, bluff, rob that player, but don't waste the ammunition.  Hopefully, weapons that lack a visible external magazine (shotguns, revolver, 91/30 Nagant, lever-action repeater) would be really good this, as they wouldn't be able to tell with a glace if you are blowing smoke out of your ass.

Like I said if the player is geared then yes the ammo is worth it.  I have enough long term friends in DayZ.  I'm not looking for more.  If loot spawns are reduced in the future using ammo on players seems even more worth it.  If I'm starving to death why not kill the guy with beans?  And if he doesn't have beans why risk keeping him alive?

• Like 1

Like I said if the player is geared then yes the ammo is worth it.  I have enough long term friends in DayZ.  I'm not looking for more.  If loot spawns are reduced in the future using ammo on players seems even more worth it.  If I'm starving to death why not kill the guy with beans?  And if he doesn't have beans why risk keeping him alive?

And if you die later on, because you didn't have enough ammunition to defend yourself, would you still think shooting that player is worth it? I wouldn't. 

See, when I said "loot spawns will be reduced", I meant "all loot spawns". Other players are equally likely to find nothing, so enjoy wasting bullets and getting nothing for it. That, at least in my book, is a poor exchange of resources.

This is why I think alternative weapons like the bow and the crossbow will eventually come to the forefront of most PvP; most players will find a firearm, but little ammunition for it. (so, a shotgun with 12 shells is a great find, and you HOARD those shells, reloading them as you go. Or, you find an AKM, and a magazine with 17 rounds on a body. You save those bullets for when they are really needed (defending youself, etc), not wasting them needlessly). A SKS with 3 rounds quickly becomes a clunky club (or spear, with bayonets, which, when bayonets become functional, would give you a reason to carry an empty firearm, as you can still stab things), so you save those rounds, and bluff your way out of trouble with a loaded-or-not firearm. OR, you can make a bow, make some arrows, and loose arrows with reckless abandon, as you can always pick up the arrows and use them again.

Add infections from uncleaned wounds, and arrows and bolts become as deadly as a bullet, even (especially) in the long-term, where you would have to remove the arrow/bolt before cleaning/bandaging/suturing the wound (note: this really could not be done in combat, and is quite painful and dangerous for the subject. You have to essentially push the projectile through your own flesh (GAH), break/cut off the head, then pull the shaft back through the flesh. While bleeding and in pain. Enjoy a loss of consciousness from shock and pain!) 

Never met a good-guy random.

1st time I ever tried helping someone like back in the mod, I offered food, he says, "I can't see it, point to it on the ground for me". I oblige, "It's right there buddy"... *wump* *wump* You are unconscious. You are dead. 

2nd time I was more cautious. I found someone in a building, shovel raised high in fear. I had him kneel and place his hand behind his head, calmly asking if he needed anything. The reply was thus, "I need your gear". "Not going to happen friend". "Well then, can you help me gear?" "Sure, follow me, keep that shovel on your back". Found him some gear, traveled with him for 14 minutes. Shared food, drink, and stories while looting. I find this man a .22 sport rifle. Here, I don't have round for it, but it's better than nothing if you can find rounds. "Oh yeah, I don't have rounds, let's find some." We split up, I come back to the meeting spot designated pre-hand. He shows up shortly after. "Find any?" "Nope..." "It's cool, we'll search the next town, I think it has a police station." "Oh ok. Wait, zombie, watch out behind you." As I turn with my axe being pulled out, the animation freezes me to a stand still, giving the man I trusted for half an hour to point the seemingly unloaded .22 at my head and fire a single shot, ending me. 

Bad news for him I got a respawn in the town right down the road and picked the police station clean. SKS, 30 rounds, and strip clip. Sure enough, he come down the road to the police station with my gear on. Revenge was sweet after I knee capped him. "Ain't this some Karma. Look who shows up after back stabbing me. Shouldn't have shot me in the back of the head, buddy. WE COULD HAVE BEEN FRIENDS!!!!". "It was an accident, I swear" he promised. The red mist took me. His blood must flow. And so it did. 

Player motives are opportunistic. Everyone who's not me is a potential psychopath. Stalking people to view fight or flight personalities is a surefire tactic. Lesson learned. If I do engage in contact with someone nowadays, I keep a gun pointed at the back of their skull and/or tell them I must knock them out momentarily and place the items on their person so it's less dangerous for me. If that all goes well, I usually say good luck, and I'll see you later, leaving them wondering with unanswered question like: Why wasn't I killed? Why did he leave me behind? Why don't we stick together? What caused this random act of good will?

No sense in having someone tag-along with you who's motives are to flee, but it's worth helping them. 

#grim-dark-friendly

you had bad luck then.

i met dozen of unpredicably nice and friendly people in dayz. once, a guy give me a loaded M4, asking fo nothing in counterpart. once, i gave 1 bandage to a fully geared guy, he offered me his AKM with 30rnd mag to thank me for the help. i met a lot of guys that spotted me on pvp places (airfiels or military base) that could have easily killed me if they wanted but just ask "how are you dude ?" instead.

i still remember one special encouter in the "freeze to death" 0.50 built. i was looting a yellow dormitory on the NWAF when i heard footstep. i desperatly tried to take my sks in hand but that glitchy sneaky little rifle refuse to leave my back. a fully geared dude (as i was) enter and as he sees me he yelled "holy shit you scared me !". when i saw him running in i almost immediatly consider myself dead. instead he asked if i was friendly, and because i couldn't putt my gun in hands i answered "i'd better be friendly i guess !". we congratulated each other to have survived that long and trade some ammunitions and food. if i succeded taking my sks in hands at first, i would have killed that nice guy...

Edited by Zboub le météor
  • Like 1

not all players in the wasted Russian wasteland are evil...

*Chernarus

This is why we have the Chedaki.

• Like 1

An interesting and very attractive notion. Unfortunately I have learned too many times that a good deed never goes unpunished in this realm. When I first started playing I was shot and killed a half a dozen times when I had marginal gear. So I stopped waving and announcing that I am friendly. I have been killed while rendering assistance and sharing gear, food and even forking over an extra weapon to a have not.

Now I Have The Best weapons, plenty of ammunition, food and peripheral gear and I have no desire to get popped in the back by someone while in the act of playing the good Samaritan any longer. For me its KoS anyone that is a potential threat to me and is moving in my direction. If they are headed away from me I observe with my finger on the trigger if they get too close pop goes the weasel. Shit I have even had new-spawns that I saved by killing Zeds that were kicking the shit out of them attack me with bare knuckles.   

It seems like I am main stream because just about everyone is out hunting other players. I get shot at crossing open ground, or while killing Zeds and in chance encounters. I don't always have the opportunity to fire first but for months and months I have lucked out and riddled a slew of other players that thought it would be cool to bag some easy gear and put another notch on their weapon of choice.

I take no pleasure in gratuitous PvP.  Well that's a lie.... when I detect a dumb would be sniper that has staked out an area to pop random people I will take a shot at exterminating the MuFkr and disposing of the clowns weapons and gear so that the bastard will have to find new shit. I have tossed a good number of scoped AKs and Mosins into the weeds never to be found again and riddled the corpses to ruin everything I can. And of course those suspected of server hopping get a bullet in the kisser if at all possible.

I avoid all other players if I can if not the engagement begins. 

Really wish the Zeds were formidable enough in numbers to give everyone a serious common enemy and thus preclude a lot of this PvP and KoS nonsense.      

I like this rendition of Mad World best.

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

Don't lose your hope.. not all players in the wasted Russian wasteland

*Chernarussian

I'm an asshole.

• Like 1

*Chernarussian

I'm an asshole.

Nah! Just a stickler for accuracy and Also pragmatic with respect to extending compassion to potential back stabbing pricks I would imagine.. 

Nah! Just a stickler for accuracy and Also pragmatic with respect to extending compassion to potential back stabbing pricks I would imagine.. 

Back stabbing?

Today I beat a German woman to death on experimental for her dry bag. I'm far from trustworthy.

• Like 1

Back stabbing?

Today I beat a German woman to death on experimental for her dry bag. I'm far from trustworthy.

Don't feel like the lone ranger today I capped a duffer that was armed with a .22 rifle in the tent city of the NWAF and he never saw me. I have a full kit and I wanted nothing from the guy except his absence from my radius of safety. As I said in my earlier post I trust no one especially not people like myself or you. But there is the fact that you are entirely predictable in that you will do the right thing for yourself 100% of the time at the expense of all those around you.   It is my assumption that everyone is just like you..or me for that matter. There isn't anyone I wouldn't drop like a bad habit just for being too close to me because the only survival I care about is MINE. 

Back stabbing.... as in what happens every time you entertain the thought of being nice

Edited by Xbow