Sign in to follow this  
over9000nukez

A challenge to whom call themselves Bandits, or even Heros

Can a Mod please change the title to : "A Guide to Robbing People"

INTRO: ( WAIT!, Don't click that go back button!This might look huge, but it is written in short "chapter" format, so read any section you're interested in.) Try to read PROPER STEPS OF TAKING A ROBBERY. because that is the most important chapter, quick 3 minute read,)

If you have anything you would like me to add, and i agree on, I will add it to the post, i would like to hear some discussion on these steps, or how you feel about this topic, thank you.

(You don't HAVE to read the below)

There is a general confusing with people and their terms. There are people who shoot people with melee weapons out, and call themselves heroes for "saving" a fresh spawn that wouldn't have been in danger anyway. There are people who call themselves bandits, and poison people with disinfectant spray and rotten food, and leave them to die.there are people whom call themselves survivors, and shoot someone  because they were a "threat" from more then 500m.  There are mixed varieties of all the above, but I like to call myself a  Real Bandit . When someone asks me what i play as, I say I'm a Bandit. What is a Bandit you ask? They are the people who points a gun at you, and robs you, they are the people who take you hostage, and sell you back to their group, They are the people who give a tingle down your spine, rather then a sudden rush of adrenaline, to a "You are Dead"

I'm writing this today to give you all a challenge, you, who call yourself a "Bandit" a "Hero" a "Survivor", to follow these steps, in a simple robbery situation. It's rather difficult to have someone surrender their items to you when they have a weapon to defend against it, but they best way to do it is to make them lose hope in ever surviving this event, and also give them hope, hope that if they listen, they will survive.

I've taken many, many, many hostages, robbed many, many people, but you must remember, that these are people too, they have experiences too, my goal in every hostage taking is to give them a story to tell to their friends, that they made a crazy escape from a group of mad slavers. 

WARNING: THIS DOES GET INTO SOME ROLE PLAY.

PROPER STEPS OF TAKING A ROBBERY.

So you want to take someone's items, awesome! welcome to the fun group of people called True Bandits We thank you, as the DayZ community, for not killing fish in a barrel and helping the problem, instead of adding to it. Now that I'm finished my thanks, lets get onto the steps.

1. - Honestly this is the step that will either make or break a proper robbery, you have to subdue the person you want to rob,They might retaliate, they might listen to your orders, but In my experience, you have to be someone rough, someone abrupt, someone kind, and someone humane; a blend of all this will get you a subdued person.In my experience, having them in a middle of a feild, or somewhere they cant run away is the best, that way, they don't try to make a break for it, make sure they have no hope in escape, they must give in!
  2. - Great, They surrendered, time to loot them? NO. You need to move somewhere safe, get moving, and get in a house, behind a wall, or somewhere in the woods, because if they have friends, they'll be packing heat.
  3. You're walking to your destination, it's in sight, but he isn't talking, hes looking at you kind of weird, He might be radioing his friends for back up. Great you screwed up, but wait, there is a way to fix a situation like this, you need to talk with them, a lot. learn about this guy, his name, his background, his play style, and tell him about yourself too, This is extremely important, If you seem human to them, they WILL trust you, and they wont try to make a break for it when they get the chance, because your a nice person. They call this Stockholm syndrome.People in DayZ, for some reason, fall for Stockholm syndrome way more then the average person in the real world (8%) so try to be as human as possible, the physiology behind iit is that a person who is in danger has someone (you) to come to when they feel like their in danger, which, is you still, so its a physiological loophole, so use it.(step 3 should be used throughout the rest of the steps, if done correctly, the individual may tell their friends to back off, because you are letting them live.)
  4. You and your captive are in a safe place, now it is pretty evident what you do next, take their stuff, tell them to drop everything, and never give them a chance to pull out their weapon, step 1-3 should be done as fast as possible, to give them as little time to step 4 to pull out a hidden weapon, always have your gun at the ready. (Cuffs are optional, and will make you much safer)
  5. Once everything is settled, you have a couple options, but the main one I will talk about is the escape, if the individual approached you, and you have a location you want to stay at, tell them to leave, and if you approached them, you tell the person to stay there for about a minute, and slowly make your way out of the location, away from any possible sniper positions, in case their friends haven't backed out.

IMPORTANT FOR STEP 3: If the person doesn't talk much, force them to speak, or say blah blah blah continuously so it will block communication in their team-speak, or skype call. If you don't do this you are risking your life. 

Great job,you are now capable of simple robberies, Ill have you know, it's sort of funny, some people at the end, will THANK you for robbing them, kind of ironic isn't it? how scummy DayZ can be, if someone thanks you for that being considered a noble act.

(A personal Experience of mine)

I personally never have been robbed, and survived, due to the amount of disgusting people who roam Charnarus , most of the time I'm fed disinfectant, and executed afterword, a bit redundant, but i accept it as normal, and most others too. One day We had a man come into the Svetlo church, we had him walk to the middle of the church, without realizing he was surround and told him to freeze. He did, instantly, and looked around him,and his stomach growled at us, he was hungry. so we fed him, gave him some small supplies after we took some of his belongings, leaving him with a pack of canned beans and a couple less medical supplies that had been there before. We let him go eventually, and he came back bear back, and told us of a few fellows who had killed him, in the same town we were in, we approached the building with caution, clearing ever hall but one, that was closed. I slammed the doors open and ran down the hall of the TEC building until i got to a desk that was tilted over, and saw the arm of a man on the other side holding an SKS,and even further down a man with an AK pointed behind a shelf. It took about 10 minutes of negotiating, but i had them surrender, and robbed them of their primary weapons, and forced them to drop their belongings to the fresh spawn they had killed for no reason other then they felt threatened by the steps of a guy with only a backpack full of beans.

HOSTAGE TAKING.

This is what i enjoy a lot, you take someone hostage, and you keep them fed, and "use" them, they help you in fights, you tell them to fetch you some supplies with the promise of reward, you can do anything with a hostage if done correctly.

1. You don't get a lot of opportunities to take a hostage, but the best way is to jump them, and have them surrender, you might take their stuff, like I've trained to you earlier, or bring it to the next level, find out their group, and sell them back. This is defiantly not common, and you'll need a large group to pack some heat with you, so have that prepared.
  2. Take a hostage, find someone who is in a group, gain information, have them at gun point, with the promise of a bullet if they don't answer. If they don't have a group, do steps for PROPER STEPS OF TAKING A ROBBERY. 
  3. If they do have a group, however, you need to gain information on their skype, teamspeak, or what have you to make the bargain, you can also bargain in game, but i find using their voice chat to be much more effective, in that you seem in control of the situation.
  4. Meanwhile, in game, have your friends defend you, and make sure the hostage cant make a break for it, cuffs are a good way to do this.(cuffs are optional)
  5. When they made it to your location, (you should have it well fortified in case they try to fight you) you should negotiate a trade, this is rather simple, try to be on top of the situation the entire time, and don't act like the little man, you must have control of the situation.
  6. Now if everything went well, you have done the negotiation, you should tell them to leave, and wait a while, don't run out immediately, because they will most likely shoot you.

Well now your experienced in the art of HOSTAGE TAKING, and can be used with PROPER STEPS OF TAKING A ROBBERY. I personally do both, whenever possible, but you can do a mixture of both, or your own combination of strategies..

(A personal Experience of mine)

It's odd, The group i created of about 10-15 people, half of them we met through taking hostages, one being a girl named Kristen. I heard my friends through the skype channel that they found some girl and they they have taken her hostage, and we were forcing her to marry one of our friends at the Svetlo church. it took me about half an hour to get there, but i was at Novo, the town beside Svetlo, and a man with a came out of nowhere from a junkyard nearby and greeted me and told me they were traveling traders, that's why two others came out of the stinky garbage, with a couple of flies still buzzing around them. I declined their offer, telling them I was late enough to a wedding, and invited them to come over, and that i needed to stop the wedding and marry her, and they took the offer to end the marriage. We came to the church, and burst through the words to the exact moment of the priest asking if anyone were to object to their marriage. We had a huge party, and enjoyed it all to the end.

AVOIDING A BAD SITUATION.

Well you know how to rob someone, and take hostages in calm weather, but what if there is a hail storm of players surrounding you with snipers, AKs, and enough ammo to start the next few world wars. You're going to need to take a Leader roll in the situation, become the big man, how do you do that?

1. To come out on top of a situation you will need to take a very military stance on the situation, catch your breath, don't get tongue tied, and just speak.
  2. whatever the situation, you need to communicate, and make sure the enemy knows your strong, you can do this by all firing (if your in a group) have your friend shoot next to them (if you have a sniper), and overall having them below you, and you with one foot on top of them
  3. Negotiate, make sure they know they will die if they don't agree with you, if they have a group, and if they don't listen, maybe shoot one's arm, to break it, and to leave them knowing your the stronger one.
  4. If the negotiation is successful, you can follow steps in PROPER STEPS OF TAKING A ROBBERY. or HOSTAGE TAKING. 
  5. If unsuccesful it's time to get serious, a fight will probably begin, but a word of advice, always have the high ground, or have a location defended, because that's the best way to take on a person charging at you like an idiot, because if you followed the steps correctly, and were on top of the situation like I said, they must be an idiot messing with you.
Edited by over9000nukez
  • Like 3

Nicely written.

Bandits are better than who KoS.

Edited by Yazar8
  • Like 1

Would be nice if more played like this. I just got KOS outside of Electro on a login (server had dropped me). After nervously logging back in I was being attacked by two zombies and a player shot me to death before all of my textures could even load.

Meh, it happens, just lame way to go out.

I like it when they run. Give me and excuse to break their legs. Only the things in their pants get ruined. My rule as a Bandit -You run, you die. It may not be right then, but if you tried to run you will be shot at some point.

I don't consider a guy who KOS's bambies for no reason and then doesn't even loot their corpse a bandit. It makes more sense if a guy has no supplies to survive with, but then sees a guy with military gear, lots of weapons, and a backpack, and decides to rob him or shoot him. But honestly, IMO if you don't need to create conflict between you and another player, don't bother doing it. This is just my play-style though.

TBH there's a fine line between being a bandit and being a somewhat irritating KOSer who runs around like a maniac shooting everyone he sees for no reason. If you want to be a KOSer, hey, it's cool. I can't stop you from doing that. But it's more entertaining for both parties to do something like rob them at gunpoint. I would much rather be robbed than KOSed. Heck, I'd even rather be robbed, handcuffed, and be executed by a firing squad. At least I'd actually know the person was there, rather then just be walking along, hear a gunshot, and see my screen read "You are dead". But then again, if the KOSer had no supplies, I wouldn't really be able to blame him, as it's a lot easier to shoot someone than to rob him.

Keep in mind I am not targeting any specific person with this post.

The mod presented more opportunities for banditry I believe and I commend your efforts in promoting this play style.

I'm a survivor who has been robbed without violence and I have turned robberies into trades at times, by offering extra stuff they didn't demand to try to get something I'm missing.

Rarely have I been robbed of anything that I cared for much and often I'm left with most of what I had when encountered.

I like it when they run. Give me and excuse to break their legs. Only the things in their pants get ruined. My rule as a Bandit -You run, you die. It may not be right then, but if you tried to run you will be shot at some point.

Yeah this is bull, man.

If I see you first and try to run, you're the same as a KoS kid if you shoot me in the back.

If you were a skilled bandit you would corner me somehow, before trying to rob me.

The mod presented more opportunities for banditry I believe and I commend your efforts in promoting this play style.

I'm a survivor who has been robbed without violence and I have turned robberies into trades at times, by offering extra stuff they didn't demand to try to get something I'm missing.

Rarely have I been robbed of anything that I cared for much and often I'm left with most of what I had when encountered.

Yeah this is bull, man.

If I see you first and try to run, you're the same as a KoS kid if you shoot me in the back.

If you were a skilled bandit you would corner me somehow, before trying to rob me.

I wouldn't know, because i waited for stand-alone to come out to play DayZ, I enjoy this play style more because of the interaction,and not so much the items, because it is fun to see how people handle these situations, plus you get a couple cans of food or some extra supplise just to add to the situation of a "robbery", there are some times i have robbed people because we do actually need food, I will tell you though, i give people a warning not to run or I'll shoot, and people will still run away, and I will shoot, it is just simple Darwinism: stupid mistakes make a stupid death. If however you do listen, i will let them see another day, and give an experience for them to tell their friends the next day.

• Like 1

a proper robbery is so dam hard to succed when you are alone. i tried but it worked only once, and thas was because the guy was over scared and playing alone. most of the time, the guy runs. you can decide to kill him or not (killing him is sadly a way better option). if you don't, they'll hide then come back for revenge or TS their friends to help them. either way, your chances of survival decrease singificantly.

so for a guy that take long time to respond (they are giving your position to their friend with TS), kill him, find a good sniping spot and await to punish the rescue team. it's sad, but it's a more viable and rewarding (gear wise) solution.

stalking + headshot on geared players is 10 times more safe, with the same reward. trying to be a true bandit is cool, but most will give up after 10 fails.

a proper robbery is so dam hard to succed when you are alone. i tried but it worked only once, and thas was because the guy was over scared and playing alone. most of the time, the guy runs. you can decide to kill him or not (killing him is sadly a way better option). if you don't, they'll hide then come back for revenge or TS their friends to help them. either way, your chances of survival decrease singificantly.

so for a guy that take long time to respond (they are giving your position to their friend with TS), kill him, find a good sniping spot and await to punish the rescue team. it's sad, but it's a more viable and rewarding (gear wise) solution.

stalking + headshot on geared players is 10 times more safe, with the same reward. trying to be a true bandit is cool, but most will give up after 10 fails.

Well according to yourself you only tried it once, and you say you'll give up at 10 fails, you have a cat's amount of lives to try it again!

It is hard to do alone, but it works best if you listen to the steps, jump them while they are in the open, give them no hopes of escape (if their in the open, they cant get behind cover, and if there is a wall about 3 meters away, they'll run for it.)

We had situations like you said above, but we have a huge advantage when they do come in because we're in cover and they will be moving in toward the spot you were, and they get punished for not listening to you.

If a person doesn't talk for a while, i'll make them start saying blah blah blah blah, over and over, and tell them if they stop i shoot them, it will clog their team speak, and make it so they cant communicate.

you misunderstood what i said (or i have hard time making understandable comment as english is not my native language, my bad then). i tried multiple times and it only worked once.

the blabla tip is a good one, i'll give it a try.

the problems i encountered so far are :

- low geared people don't give a fuck and try to run or axe me.

- highly geared players usually turn back aiming their weapons.

so you have very few occasion to rob someone in good conditions. a player eating/drinking or looting a corpse, a sniper prone in a tree... and you have to be close to them.

so an opportunist robber can be viable, but trying to be a true bandit most of the time is suicide mission from my experiences.

you misunderstood what i said (or i have hard time making understandable comment as english is not my native language, my bad then). i tried multiple times and it only worked once.

the blabla tip is a good one, i'll give it a try.

the problems i encountered so far are :

- low geared people don't give a fuck and try to run or axe me.

- highly geared players usually turn back aiming their weapons.

so you have very few occasion to rob someone in good conditions. a player eating/drinking or looting a corpse, a sniper prone in a tree... and you have to be close to them.

so an opportunist robber can be viable, but trying to be a true bandit most of the time is suicide mission from my experiences.

I always try to just make it impossible for them to escape, otherwise, they will try to axe you, they will run, and they will turn around with their gun to shoot, you aim the gun at their head, and let them know if they screw up all their work is over, and all you want is a bit of their time, and they can survive another day with all their great gear.

plenty do

It's often hard to be legitimate when your weapon often doesn't even reload sometimes or you can't even take it out, or put it away.

I think you should restructure this with the title "Guide to robbing people".

When you throw in stuff like 'TRUE BANDIT" your being confrontational, because that imply s that anyone not doing it your way is doing it the wrong way.

Any arguing about specific definitions is also a turn off.

I think you should restructure this with the title "Guide to robbing people".

When you throw in stuff like 'TRUE BANDIT" your being confrontational, because that imply s that anyone not doing it your way is doing it the wrong way.

Any arguing about specific definitions is also a turn off.

i agree with the title ,but its a bit too late :/,

on the other hand according to the dictionary, a bandit is a robber, and true means correct, i guess your right for saying a true bandit is kind of "wrong" to say, but then again it is the true dictionary definition of a bandit.being confrontational is a good writing style, controversy is a good way to cause discussion

i agree with the title ,but its a bit too late :/,

on the other hand according to the dictionary, a bandit is a robber, and true means correct, i guess your right for saying a true bandit is kind of "wrong" to say, but then again it is the true dictionary definition of a bandit.being confrontational is a good writing style, controversy is a good way to cause discussion

The 'definition of bandit' is unimportant. However ever 'true banditry' or 'a real bandit does this' or some nonsense is brought up it always sparks a needless debate.

I would simply suggest avoiding those because you have a rather well put together guide and they only seem to detract from that.

Someone posted this on r/dayz, I read it and gave you my beans. Great read.

The 'definition of bandit' is unimportant. However ever 'true banditry' or 'a real bandit does this' or some nonsense is brought up it always sparks a needless debate.

I would simply suggest avoiding those because you have a rather well put together guide and they only seem to detract from that.

good point, I would edit the title if i could, but the true bandit part is in mostly my opinion in that not important to read section.

• Like 1

This

Keep in mind, in real life people don't want to loose their life, so in a situation where they are at your mercy they will cooperate and give you what you want because they don't want to die, if they do they won't respawn. 

In DayZ the worst that can happen is you end up dead, or crawling with broken leg. But you can start over. There is no reason to follow your capturer or not do something recklessly stupid and try to get out. Because all you lose is hour or two of looting. 

The only incentive to do that is if they want to roleplay. Some would call that immersion (most overused word on this forum). 

But in the end most people will not cooperate when you try to rob them, so you end up killing them anyway, the only difference is that you put yourself at risk while trying. 

So I'd rather put a bullet in your head not to damage soon to be my gear. Take what I want and be on my way. 

The last time a guy tried to rob I was coming out of a house. The single floor ones with a giant storage room with shelves, kitchen, bedroom. I had a mosin on my back (no bullets) and a sawed off shotgun in my bag. He had an sks and told me to go back into the house. I said okay and as soon as I went though the door I ran out the back of the house in hail of sks rounds and pulled out the sawed off shotgun. He actually followed me through the house and when he came out I hit him with both barrels. My jacket was ruined and 4/6 cans of peaches. Bastard.

In DayZ I'd rather die than just let someone steal everything. Even if you kill me you're going to ruin most of the valuable items I'm carrying before I'm dead. Close range moving head shots are super rare.

I just got robbed again today. I was jogging toward a small town when a guy comes out of nowhere, runs up and punches me in the head and knocks me out. Then he made off with my mosin, which thankfully had no ammo, and my backpack. I chased after him for a good 10 minutes until we got to Elektro. The whole time I'm saying stuff like "I'll chase you as long as it takes bro, just give up now" and he just kept doing this Tarzan battle cry the whole time. When we got to Elektro he started running through already opened gates and closed them as he ran through, which slowed me down a little. He was running through all these buildings and going out the back exits, and running through alleys and stuff. I ended up losing sight of him. So I looked around, and suddenly a heavily geared guy walks out from behind a tree and shoots me. I ran away, but I ended up with another bullet in my back which killed me. And the guy who robbed me got away.

It was kind of annoying to have that bandit interfere, but hey, it was a more enjoyable experience than being shot in the head from a sniper.