therandomredstone

DayZ Lack of Social Realism

This, pretty much. 

Bandit: Give me all your stuff!

Guy: Yeah, yeah, take it! Just don't kill me!

Bandit: Yeah right! -shoots- LOL

--time passes--

Group: Hey, you see a guy pass through here recently?

Bandit: Yeah, what about him?

Group: Well, he was one of our guys. Since you are the only people here, we are gonna have a problem.

-hangs bandit clan from the streetposts, bandit problem dealt with-

If only it were that easy...

U misunderstood what I said

But.....that is what I am saying. We didn't "evolve our society in mostly peaceful conditions". Human society has, for the most part, been focused on internecine warfare. Up until the last 500 years or so, what was the most "honorable" profession for a man to have? A warrior/soldier. They were a warrior, and a farmer/craftsman/priest/etc.

Greek city states? Warrior

Roman? Warrior

Medieval Europe? Warrior

Ancient Japan? Warrior

Native Americans? Warrior

Neolithic Peoples? Warrior, at least the grave goods (stone battle-axes, shields, spears, and bows and arrows) suggest so

It was actually during the Neolithic period when more human skeletons were found with war-wounds than skeletons found with evidence of old age.

People don't act how they would in real life when playing a video game?

Color me shocked.

And that is the problem with Day Z right now, at least in my opinion.

The game supposedly aims for realism/authenticity, yet because there is no penalty to death, people kill others with reckless abandon. Hell, people kill themselves to in order to possibly get an arbitrarily "better" spawn, usually so they don't have to run as long in order to get back into PvP.

I've always supported a "death timer". Die in-game, can't play on that server for 10/20/30 minutes. In the grand scheme of things, that won't affect you that much, because you can go play on another server. But, it would prevent "YOLO BAMBI FISTS OF FURY", as well as people being unduly reckless in combat, and at least hamper spawn-related suicide.

• Like 1

And that is the problem with Day Z right now, at least in my opinion.

The game supposedly aims for realism/authenticity, yet because there is no penalty to death, people kill others with reckless abandon. Hell, people kill themselves to in order to possibly get an arbitrarily "better" spawn, usually so they don't have to run as long in order to get back into PvP.

I've always supported a "death timer". Die in-game, can't play on that server for 10/20/30 minutes. In the grand scheme of things, that won't affect you that much, because you can go play on another server. But, it would prevent "YOLO BAMBI FISTS OF FURY", as well as people being unduly reckless in combat, and at least hamper spawn-related suicide.

I don't think that would help at this point to be honest "YOLO" is far too ingrained in to the game if you haven't been KOS'ed in some way yet it's only a matter of time really happens to everyone and then all but a few do the same thing in an endless cycle.

The game getting harder is just going to make PVP worse I think not only does dying have far worse consequences for the victim it's also far more rewarding for the murderer, they can rejoice in the fact that the person they killed will have to spend hours collecting gear again and were the timer increased that they have to wait a long time to play the game again.

As I said in another thread I don't think a much longer death timer is the way to go, 3 minutes seems reasonable.

Most people would just hop to another server instead of waiting 10 or over I'm sure plus can you imagine if you actually waited then spawned right next to some asshole who immediately kills you and then in a very unlikely event you wait again and the same shit happens? Being blocked out of a game you paid for for half an hour all because some assholes need to go play an FPS instead would suuuck.

This is why I hope servers get some kind of friendly option, not friendly fire that'd be ridiculous but like if you kill someone they spawn in 30 seconds and then if someone kills you you then spawn in like 15 minutes, if you don't wanna wait then play friendly.

That'd be great maybe if the amount of players who at least consider being friendly was amped up it might inject that thought pattern in to the community...

I'm crazy right?

Definitely crazy.

Some dude told me he was friendly, deceived me to come outside of my hiding spot, he had no weapons though I had an axe so I saw no threat

Few blocks further his friend with a sniper shot me down.

Very clever, yet very fishy.

5: determined to complete some kind of innocent yet bizarre goal.

(I will never stop searching until I've found every balaclava in the game at pristine condition.)

6: calmly walks through KoS zones playing music through their mic.

7: Runs up to you screaming something to the extent of "NIPPLE SALADS NIPPLE SALADS NIPPLE SALADS" may be harmless at first, but turn on you randomly.

8: "I..no...speak very good English my friend. am Russian." *kills you* "I speak PERFECT English, motherfucker!"

and many, many more!

this is why I love this game, not everyone is in those 4 categories..

My favorite mugging is probably when some guy stole only my pants.

Not my AK101, not my Gorka jacket, not my fire axe...

just my pants.

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 3

Hehe, people always talk about KOS and "lack of social realism"... what about "no pants in Elektro"? Wiggling along the coast? Laughing men in underwear and construction helmets? All the amateur voice actors and wannabe comedians? To me all that stuff is far, far more immersion breaking than being suddenly shot in the face. Anyways without drastic changes... nothing will change.

Not.....really.

The modern world is easily the "most peaceful" the world has ever been, with the amount of "war-related deaths" at the lowest point of recorded history. (Look it up)

See that thing I mentioned earlier, "endemic warfare"? Nigh-constant low-level skirmishes, non-stop since 40,000 years ago. Only recently (in the last 300 years), has warfare been organized and a clash of nation-states (which actually limits casualties, especially "civilian" ones) instead of civilian-soldiers murdering members of an opposing tribe/region/group.

Native American tribes? constant endemic warfare. Europeans only really added firearms to the mix.

Medieval Europe? constant endemic warfare. 

Classical Mediterranean? constant endemic and state warfare.

Neolithic farming villages? constant endemic warfare.

WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan.  

How do those wars stack up against wars from the past?

Also, ""war-related deaths" at the lowest point of recorded history." is only true depending on what slice of time you use to call "ours".  If you count the last 100 years, that all goes out the window.

The deadliest war ever was WW2.  Many still live, who fought that war.  Would you claim that WW2 is so far back it doesn't count as modern?  I say if people are still alive who fought it, it is pretty damn modern.

I was in a hospital in chernogorsk or electro, and these two guys outside were like "is anyone in there" I made the biggest mistake and said "yeah, yeah I am" came outside, they said they were looking for a "dangerous criminal" a minute later a fresh spawn whom I've never seem before walks up to the three of us and says "you there in the orange raincoat *me* your the one that killed me!" I never killed anyone at all in this server, so I denied it. Then the whole vibe felt kind of spooky, so just darted. the two first guys said "why you running" "we are not going to hurt you" I came back and was an idiot and was talking about how "I'm not supposed to trust anyone in this game' one pulled a gun on me and shot, I got hit and I ran, they eventually found me and killed me. Lesson learned. if a player doesn't know I'm there, lets keep it that way.

A few days later I was in a server with only 5 people, I was in the fairly big city to the right of berizino, I player turned the corner right when I did, I was fully geared he wasn't, I said "stop moving, get on the ground" (I later found out my mic wasn't to my mouth) he said "i cant here you" a second later I saw him pull out his gun, I panicked, didn't hesitate, and I shot him 4 times with my 3.57 magnum revolver, I quickly took his ammo, and killed three zombies attracted to my gunshot, and darted to the woods. I headed north west, passed the NE airfield, when I was directly north I headed south to the coast at Chernogorsk. I encountered a zombie, no big deal. but I couldn't quite hit him with my firefighters axe. he ruined my uk dpm camo tactical vest. I made room in my backpack for essential ammo and my morphine and matches, and discarded the extra 40 9mm ammo I had. I plan on traveling all the way back to the West airfield to get another tactical vest. Which will take a good 30 minutes to a hour to get to unfortunately. Hopefully by the time I get another tactical vest and head to berizino, (my favorite town because of the surrounding woods and such) Ill have some more stories for you guys!

Cheers mates!

I was in a hospital in chernogorsk or electro, and these two guys outside were like "is anyone in there" I made the biggest mistake and said "yeah, yeah I am" came outside, they said they were looking for a "dangerous criminal" a minute later a fresh spawn whom I've never seem before walks up to the three of us and says "you there in the orange raincoat *me* your the one that killed me!" I never killed anyone at all in this server, so I denied it. Then the whole vibe felt kind of spooky, so just darted. the two first guys said "why you running" "we are not going to hurt you" I came back and was an idiot and was talking about how "I'm not supposed to trust anyone in this game' one pulled a gun on me and shot, I got hit and I ran, they eventually found me and killed me. Lesson learned. if a player doesn't know I'm there, lets keep it that way.

A few days later I was in a server with only 5 people, I was in the fairly big city to the right of berizino, I player turned the corner right when I did, I was fully geared he wasn't, I said "stop moving, get on the ground" (I later found out my mic wasn't to my mouth) he said "i cant here you" a second later I saw him pull out his gun, I panicked, didn't hesitate, and I shot him 4 times with my 3.57 magnum revolver, I quickly took his ammo, and killed three zombies attracted to my gunshot, and darted to the woods. I headed north west, passed the NE airfield, when I was directly north I headed south to the coast at Chernogorsk. I encountered a zombie, no big deal. but I couldn't quite hit him with my firefighters axe. he ruined my uk dpm camo tactical vest. I made room in my backpack for essential ammo and my morphine and matches, and discarded the extra 40 9mm ammo I had. I plan on traveling all the way back to the West airfield to get another tactical vest. Which will take a good 30 minutes to a hour to get to unfortunately. Hopefully by the time I get another tactical vest and head to berizino, (my favorite town because of the surrounding woods and such) Ill have some more stories for you guys!

Cheers mates!

Many of us learned the same lesson you did. You prob doing every thing right too that's the crap part. But always remember there are tons of players who are down right dicks to people in this game. It the nature of the stand alone.

I will repeat what I said in my last post and many others for that matter. 80% to 90% of random players are not friendly. Although this game has prox voice it is not really a social game, unless your in a group on team speak. It never was never will be. I'm not saying this because I'm a dick, or trying to be overly blunt its just the truth. 

I understand what people are saying on this thread. Why not act like its a real apoc. What they are saying is role play. If you want that sort of thing, maybe set up a group or something and server and role play. I'll tell you one thing though don't expect random people to be nice in dayz....ever. It just not the way this game works. We can write for pages on this thread it will not change a dam thing. You will log on a server and there still will be players that are dicks. Its built right into the mechanics of this game. There is no incentive what so ever to play nice what so ever...none. There's no global chat...nothing like that. Its a perfect storm of KOSers and dicks. My advice to anyone who starts off is to get over that fact and adapt to it. You will save your self allot of head aches by just expecting it to be that way. Learning to either avoid the KOSers and Ass hats or learning counter them. I think you find over time many of these "bandits" or what ever you want to call them, are really not the brightest in the world. Over time you will be the one wrecking there game lol

Edited by CJFlint

^ Good post, although I'd replace every single instance of "this game" with "any MMO". Since this is common to any solid MMO, ESPECIALLY for sandbox pvp!

People don't treat DayZ like its real, but if they did this game would be THAT much better, and safer.. But safe isn't always good... Now...

Oh yeah, and I'm sure everyone would be perfectly sane in a world where millions die from a horrible infection that turns your own friends, and family against you. Let's not kid ourselves here, no one here would be able to withstand a situation like this without getting some kind of fucked up.

Edited by Beck

Wtf? Why do so many DayZ players believe this game is an accurate representation of post-apocalyptic times? Is it possible the warmongering in Western society has just warped everyone's minds into thinking violence and brutality are natural reactions to a crisis? Humans naturally help each other.

The only reason this behavior persists is because it is wanted by the game designers. They want the racism. They want the torture. In my opinion they want to nurture negative social interactions. Jeffery Lin (from Riot Games) is one of the only game designers to share information about player interaction and what the GD industry has termed "toxic" players. I suggest you all look at his work. Many of you fall directly into this "toxic" category.

Errrr it's 5 ways - 4 has a second option at the end which would be 5 types of player and you're still wrong

6...... Those players that are friendly then trick you into doing something stupid so they can laugh at you

7..... those players that see you from miles away and start taking pot shots just to see you dance

8..... The player that sees you, can kill you at any moment but lets you walk on by and you never even saw him/her

9.... the guy that sits over looking city X just to watch people fight it out in the streets below, sipping a beer.

Oh yeah, and I'm sure everyone would be perfectly sane in a world where millions die from a horrible infection that turns your own friends, and family against you. Let's not kid ourselves here, no one here would be able to withstand a situation like this without getting some kind of fucked up.

Doesn't mean everyone would just go nuts most people would form groups for security.

Wish people would stop trying to justify the way they play the game as if it's what normal people would do. In the event of some kind of apocalypse everyone's psycho switch doesn't just get flipped.

Everyone is bound to do crazy things for sure one group will attack another or one person will attack another, people would have to kill each other sometimes for sure.

But they wouldn't all the time, only the most fucked up would.

• Like 1

Social realism ?  

Based on what ? Did we have an apocalypse in the past to know how people would act ? Or do you just base your post based on today's moronic social media addicted society ? Where you can approach a complete stranger and have a chat ? 

In case of society collapse every stranger is a danger to you. 

And there is one more thing. 

Normally some people would try to restore society, wait for the infected to die out of starvation, exposure or whatever else. In DayZ there is no coming back, your in endless hell. 

Wtf? Why do so many DayZ players believe this game is an accurate representation of post-apocalyptic times?

Do you believe that the vast majority of DayZ players care about "accurate representation of post-apocalyptic times" as oppose to enjoying a sandbox game in a zombie-apocalypse that is set in a new and exciting setting?

Never trust anyone. Simple like that.

I mean... we do not have a appocalypse in rl and I still do not trust ppl really that I dont know. Except my postman he seems to be a cool guy.

Edited by exec85

Never trust anyone. Simple like that.

I mean... we do not have a appocalypse in rl and I still do not trust ppl really that I dont know. Except my postman he seems to be a cool guy.

If you have a wife or GF be careful, he might be knocking more than just your doors. 

Based on what ? Did we have an apocalypse in the past to know how people would act ?

While there has never been a zombie apocalypse we do have evidence of how humans would behave in such a situation. We have evidence from societies that have collapsed in the past. We also have evidence based on human behavior during and after extreme natural disasters, when laws are impossible to enforce.

• Like 1

Do you believe that the vast majority of DayZ players care about "accurate representation of post-apocalyptic times" as oppose to enjoying a sandbox game in a zombie-apocalypse that is set in a new and exciting setting?

I was responding to the comments stating that this type of behavior is realistic or people who aren't ready to kill would die during an apocalypse. I understand it is just a game.

While there has never been a zombie apocalypse we do have evidence of how humans would behave in such a situation. We have evidence from societies that have collapsed in the past. We also have evidence based on human behavior during and after extreme natural disasters, when laws are impossible to enforce.

Yes in most cases in ended in chaos and the weak got hurt. 

Yes in most cases in ended in chaos and the weak got hurt. 

But people were stealing. They weren't going around shooting each other in the head! What are you trying to say? That humans turn into psychopathic murderers as soon as there are no laws to follow? When has this ever happened? Ever?

But people were stealing. They weren't going around shooting each other in the head! What are you trying to say? That humans turn into psychopathic murderers as soon as there are no laws to follow? When has this ever happened? Ever?

They weren't shooting because there was a lot of things to steal and your life didn't depend on it. But if your life depends on those few cans of food and there is another guy who wants them too, you'll kill him just to survive another day. 

And like I said, riots caused by natural disasters or small scale society collapse will eventually end, things will go back to normal. Which is not a case in DayZ.