Sign in to follow this  
doomdude1

Backpack and inventory bonanza

So, this is an idea I had (although not a lot of searching went into the posting of this thread) about inventory management in general, somewhat of a long-term goal. So, don't start yelling at me "it's alpher!!!!!!1!!!!one", this would probably be low on the priority list and by my uneducated guess, something for the late Beta.

One of the great things about the mod is that you have to crouch to get items and check your backpack. Now, while we can *assume* that our character can remember what he has in his own backpack (in other words, you can browse the menu just like now) I think the following things would make the immersion much greater:

- To manipulate items in your backpack, you have to be crouched and still (can work without special animations, though they would be cool)

- Placing items in your clothes would be quicker and less risky

- Backpacks would serve as they should IRL, for durable storage, but not for quick access

- The speed of taking items could vary from the different types of clothing. Surely it would take you longer to drag some bullets out of a tight pocket on your jeans than it would from a combat vest (which is designed for that)

- All of this can work with or without animations, which is great for the testing stages of a game

The example is this: You're a relatively low-geared player going into a major town. You know, for a fact, there are armed players there but you need food, badly. You quickly navigate the streets and buildings and being smart, you left your coat/pants empty, while storing your other items in your backpack. You manage to quickly grab some smaller food items but are forced to leave the larger ones behind. You make it out safely, due to your speed.

The other option is the guy who didn't prepare and was caught with his pants down, trying to store that rice in his backpack.

In my (albeit limited) knowledge of how this stuff works, the core mechanics without the animations wouldn't be too hard to implement. This just gives you a whole lot of bang for your buck.

• Like 1

I love the idea, Might need some serious coding to work tho

sounds like a good idea, would like to see something of this variation implemented, however without animations to explain why it is taking so long, it would take away from immersion for me, not add to it.

Edited by Rowdy

sounds like a good idea, would like to see something of this variation implemented, however without animations to explain why it is taking so long, it would take away from immersion for me, not dd to it.

Well, in the mod you don't have an animation where you bring your backpack from your back to the ground in front of you, you just crouch. By "animation" I was referring to an actual animation where your character grabs the bag, drags to the ground and starts fiddling with it (it would be great if it would remain on the ground if you got shot or had to run away). Without the animation you would still crouch.