So, started an Overpoch server, and business is slow because there are sooo many overpoch servers.. I was thinking, what if I changed to like regular DayZ server?

Are Vanilla DayZ servers still being populated? I want people on my server, so if all of you could post here what you guys play on, that would be great.

I know most of you will say Overpoch or epoch, but there are just so many of those servers. Any suggestions on what I should open a new server on?

Thanks!

There are very few Vanilla servers, so I'm pretty sure you could find a good crowd of regulars. I only know of one vanilla server off hand, and it is pretty full mostly.

There is still a good amount of people who want to play the original mod, they just don't have a lot of places to go.

If you are looking for specific suggestions, a 1st person only vanilla server would be mine. I don't know if it would get a large following, but I think it would be the only one of its kind.

I'd play on it.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 3

There are very few Vanilla servers, so I'm pretty sure you could find a good crowd of regulars. I only know of one vanilla server off hand, and it is pretty full mostly.

There is still a good amount of people who want to play the original mod, they just don't have a lot of places to go.

If you are looking for specific suggestions, a 1st person only vanilla server would be mine. I don't know if it would get a large following, but I think it would be the only one of its kind.

I'd play on it.

Exactly my thoughts the ones that are still kicking around have a good population and vanilla in my eyes is always the way to go, throw in HC only and its bound to fill it will just take time.

• Like 1

K you guys have inspired me. today i start work on the mini-hive!

• Like 1

Or would an NAPF Overpoch server have any more look than a chernarus one? I don't see a lot of Napf servers

I have one, people seem to get annoyed by the size after a while

vanilla mod is all well and good, and its my server of choice when I hop on. However, its as tough as 'ole boots to the casual player, or the friendless player like myself now that 1.8.2 rules, if you don't know the map? Its curtains due to thirst quick style. In real life I am hopeless with directions, and playing Vanilla mod is no different! Without a clique or a clan, vanilla seems pretty out of bounds for the average player looking to play the toughest version. I think the latest version has crossed the line with the brutal thirst system, last time I bumped into a fellow survivor he begged me for a drink cos he was dying of thirst, I had no liquids and we both got swarmed by zeds and died. It was a great movie moment, but at the same time? It was like we were both punished for playing lone wolf.

vanilla mod is all well and good, and its my server of choice when I hop on. However, its as tough as 'ole boots to the casual player, or the friendless player like myself now that 1.8.2 rules, if you don't know the map? Its curtains due to thirst quick style. In real life I am hopeless with directions, and playing Vanilla mod is no different! Without a clique or a clan, vanilla seems pretty out of bounds for the average player looking to play the toughest version. I think the latest version has crossed the line with the brutal thirst system, last time I bumped into a fellow survivor he begged me for a drink cos he was dying of thirst, I had no liquids and we both got swarmed by zeds and died. It was a great movie moment, but at the same time? It was like we were both punished for playing lone wolf.

Just played again on US434, same result. Thirst gets the better of me half an hour in, killed a load of zeds with my trusty hatchet, salvaged two pepsi, drank them and was dying of thirst again about 10 mins later. It just seems a wee bit too tough IMO, and will only scare new vanilla mod players away to the easier versions IMO.

Jock, a suggestion would be to keep an empty can and use wells around the map.  Just about every town has at least one.  Hydrate as much as you can.  Eventually you'll find water bottles but in the meantime you can travel around the map by going well to well.

In a desperate pinch drink from ponds or lakes.  You might get sick but sometimes you'll have to take the lesser side of the shit sandwich.  If you are lucky enough to have a tent you can pitch it and sleep off the illness.

Once you get the hang of the water the real problem will be food.  Get good at sniping rabbits, they are everywhere and sometimes you won't have the luxury of finding a easy kill from a domesticated animal.  Boars are not useless either since they give you a little of water and food.

Whichever vanilla server you play on stick it out.  Most players can't get off the coast so if you stick with it you'll be the few that can survive and thrive deep in Chernarus.  That's where all the good loot are.

US435 was HC for several months but only a few players were regulars.  Eventually I moved it over to a similar config as US 434 to handle the overflow.  

• Like 1

Jock, a suggestion would be to keep an empty can and use wells around the map.  Just about every town has at least one.  Hydrate as much as you can.  Eventually you'll find water bottles but in the meantime you can travel around the map by going well to well.

In a desperate pinch drink from ponds or lakes.  You might get sick but sometimes you'll have to take the lesser side of the shit sandwich.  If you are lucky enough to have a tent you can pitch it and sleep off the illness.

Once you get the hang of the water the real problem will be food.  Get good at sniping rabbits, they are everywhere and sometimes you won't have the luxury of finding a easy kill from a domesticated animal.  Boars are not useless either since they give you a little of water and food.

Whichever vanilla server you play on stick it out.  Most players can't get off the coast so if you stick with it you'll be the few that can survive and thrive deep in Chernarus.  That's where all the good loot are.

US435 was HC for several months but only a few players were regulars.  Eventually I moved it over to a similar config as US 434 to handle the overflow.  

Thanks for the advice Geryon my good man