Sign in to follow this  
agouti

No Destruction of Certain Objects: Guns, stones

I believe that certain objects in the game should only be able to be damaged from gunfire, and not from zombies. In particular, steel firearms. Magazines are iffy, but certainly a solid steel bodied firearm would not be able to be damaged from a zombie. If I put a tempered steel handgun in my jacket pocket, and you smack me, if you hit hard enough, you'll either break your hand or bruise my ribs. If you're some kind of superman,you'll break my ribs, or break your arms if you keep trying. But I can promise you, you will not damage that firearm. That's why you're able to beat people to death with firearms. You break before they do.

But what really takes the cake is when a zombie smacked me and ruined a stone.

• Like 7

Well, yes, guns shouldn't be able to be damaged by zombies, unless you're getting hit relentlessly by tons of them, that or they damage weaker parts such as wooden stock and such. Just keep in mind this is a game, not a program designed to see how long you'd survive in this magnitude of a disaster.

1+ Yess I Agree

you Cant realy Slap a Gun to Death (even Wooden Stocked ones) as Wood is Fairly Strong Compared to a Persons Arm
ive Heard instances were Nazis Used to Break prisoners   Arms with the Buttstock of their Weapons that were Caught Escaping Concentration Camps am Fairily Certain Almost Never if ever that the Stock Broke instead <_<
but then Maybe Zombies are Minecraft Steve Felling tree's With  Punches Like its a Well Honed Axe :lol:

And Ruining a Rock is Just stupid :huh:

Edited by NokyoOkami

Reminds me of this time me and a few buddies were laughing our asses reading a terrible website that collected call of duty fan fictions. One of the showcased entries had a Generic Russian badguy antagonist break an SKS rifle over his knee. Anyway certain items should just be scripted to not be damaged from hand to hand attacks, guns should be one of these items. Good luck punching any of the firearms featured in dayz to pieces.

Guns shouldn't get ruined like they get now, but of course attachments like scopes should be breakable to that extent that you can't attach another scope due to the connecting parts being damaged. It would be cool if you could bend weapons so that unless another player inspects them, he would only see them as damaged. If he tries to shoot, it explodes. Talking about more realism, stones shouldn't get ruined in either way. Currently the item damage seems a little of over all. Breaking my legs shouldn't ruin my trousers and the items in it, unless I am a f**king Alien and have acid instead of blood in my veins.

I'm sure the damage system will be thoroughly tweaked and that they're just having everything damageable to test durability and such.

I do agree though, very little damage should happen from the odd zombie attack.

Guns shouldn't get ruined like they get now, but of course attachments like scopes should be breakable to that extent that you can't attach another scope due to the connecting parts being damaged. It would be cool if you could bend weapons so that unless another player inspects them, he would only see them as damaged. If he tries to shoot, it explodes. Talking about more realism, stones shouldn't get ruined in either way. Currently the item damage seems a little of over all. Breaking my legs shouldn't ruin my trousers and the items in it, unless I am a f**king Alien and have acid instead of blood in my veins.

I dare to put a scope on a table and damage it's mounting parts that are made of metal with you bare hands. Go on, do it and post the results (by results I mean your visit to nearest A&E with fractured hands).

Well... the owner of Daniel Defense takes a kitted AR they make from the production line, and throws it from his 3 story roof to see what can be improved. He.does it to a random rifle everyday (he destroys them by melting, he doesnt sell those :p) and they all work, since he issues a report on what to improve. The buttstock (Magpuls) used to be the worst part affected.

Hell, search Daniel Defense M4 IED Survival Test on Youtube (YT has been broke lately, google got hacked again. Not my internet, everyone I know has problems) and it comes out of a car after bein hit by 10 pounds of C4 under the car. Guess what? The stock was broke (Magpul) but they used the same mag (there goes the mag argument) and shot 30 rounds without flaw. Even the Aimpoint micro wasnt shattered, and held zero at 20 yards. And the mount was fine, which is how it maintained zero.

So if a gun survives an IED, Im sure it can survive a what appears to be half rotten, but these arent undead, corpse like thing.

And HELL NO. You know what it takes to bend a gun barrel? A vice and a ton of effort with a hammer. Thee are forged steel objects, if your barrel bends when you try to bend it with your hands or on the ground, DONT buy from that compqny, and issue a warning to the NRA

Edited by Owen.
  • Like 1

Im sure it can survive a what appears to be half rotten, but these arent undead, corpse like thing.

God damn you. I was about to go medieval on you.  

Edited by General Zod

God damn you. I was about to go medieval on you.

Wh...why lol?

I was hopin someone liked my firearms knowledge... </3

Wh...why lol?

I was hopin someone liked my firearms knowledge... </3

For the rotting undead corpses.But you got away with " these arent undead". 

• Like 1

I dare to put a scope on a table and damage it's mounting parts that are made of metal with you bare hands. Go on, do it and post the results (by results I mean your visit to nearest A&E with fractured hands).

Well, we are talking about infected here, not humans. We do not know their strength. Ever seen a human who can jump so far without getting some speed beforehand?

I am old enough to know that rifles aren't made of plastic. Yet a scope lying on the table or mounted on a rifle are two different things. The force applied to the mounting is different, although you still need a good amount of it.

Well, we are talking about infected here, not humans. We do not know their strength. Ever seen a human who can jump so far without getting some speed beforehand?

I am old enough to know that rifles aren't made of plastic. Yet a scope lying on the table or mounted on a rifle are two different things. The force applied to the mounting is different, although you still need a good amount of it.

Yes they might be a bit stronger due to adrenaline and rage but bones are bones, and muscles are muscles. Both are incapable of breaking solid steel objects without tools. 

When I came here I expected just another topic about "I don't want to lose my gear" but this actually makes sense. Maybe certain items should require a minimum damage dealt to them to take damage at all (like say reduce all damage by a certain value).

I can't really think of any items that would be damaged by being punched. Tin cans, maybe? Even then it should just open the tin can and lose some of the contents.

Scopes could maybe have their lenses cracked, and sticks could be broken, but I'm not sure what else. 

Gunfire and certain melee weapons, of course, should be able to cause considerable damage to items.