Sign in to follow this  
Quijibo

Item Destruction

If an item in your inventory is ruined you should have an option other than just dropping it. If it gets dropped it should be on a timer that makes them disappear. Once a player drops a ruined item it would just make sense that it vanishes after ten minutes or so. If it's been dropped on the ground no one is going to pick it up. The same goes for unwanted items. The only time I organize my pack is in the middle of the woods. Who's searching for cans of beans in the middle of the woods? Being able to destroy items would be a good way to help server performance. Servers would run smoother and people could empty junk loot out of buildings to make room for more loot to spawn.

Ive often wondered how this works.. I have dropped items in a forest on a persistent server before and come back an hour later to find them gone so i think something like you speak of is already in play

• Like 1

Ive often wondered how this works.. I have dropped items in a forest on a persistent server before and come back an hour later to find them gone so i think something like you speak of is already in play

I think i Heard Somewhere Items not in Tents that Are Just Placed on Ground Take Damage then once Ruined they Disappear on Persistant Servers

not sure if it was official or not

I Cant Quite remember where/Who Stated that though

I'm not sure that anything like that is in effect. I've dropped ruined rags only to come back to the same area two hours later to see the same rags. I think you might have dropped an item and someone else picked it up liquidcactus. I might be wrong but from what I've seen those items stay around for a long time.

I'm not sure that anything like that is in effect. I've dropped ruined rags only to come back to the same area two hours later to see the same rags. I think you might have dropped an item and someone else picked it up liquidcactus. I might be wrong but from what I've seen those items stay around for a long time.

i think its Servers reset that Damages/removes items on the ground of Persistent Servers

Edited by NokyoOkami

I think it was something to do with a server option to be honest.. because I know with certain other servers with persistence on, I have stashed stuff for longer than a few hrs even up to a day or more under a tree or behind bushes but yes surely there is something to do with server options is you drop something ruined... whatever is going on I'm sure theres still a shit load of tweaking to do

I think i Heard Somewhere Items not in Tents that Are Just Placed on Ground Take Damage then once Ruined they Disappear on Persistant Servers

Yess, this would make much sense :D

Maybe it is just an option that some servers don't have on, but I'm referring more to an option to simply destroy an item without having to bother dropping. It would be a great way to simply dispose of items without leaving a trail. I can tell when someone has been in an area because they dropped ruined items. I could also see this being a good way to make loot spawn. By emptying out all the junk loot in a building more items will spawn eventually. Maybe even being able to recover some of the materials from an item would work too. For instance being able to destroy a ruined gun and use parts to repair a damaged gun.

but I'm referring more to an option to simply destroy an item without having to bother dropping. It would be a great way to simply dispose of items without leaving a trail. I can tell when someone has been in an area because they dropped ruined items. I could also see this being a good way to make loot spawn. By emptying out all the junk loot in a building more items will spawn eventually. Maybe even being able to recover some of the materials from an item would work too. For instance being able to destroy a ruined gun and use parts to repair a damaged gun.

yes to get back on the actual "point". Indeed I have wondered about this myself..the option for players to "despawn" stuff that's deemed to be "useless" to help un-clog the server load etc. Maybe we will see it and I think we should. The thing is though the fact that we can even have all persistent items on a server actually blew my mind when the devs first introduced because I honestly thought we would never see something like that just for the mere fact that I thought having every item persistent would lag the shit out of the server anyway? and fact 2) making tents, boxes etc useful storage devices to keep important items that you dont put in a backpack..when I could just stash it under a tree or in a bush so people dont see my bright beacon of a tent ?

My point in the end of this being maybe we wont see an option like that of "despawn items" because maybe we wont need to ?(even tho its highly practical) because they considered the all items persistent idea in the first place I suppose its a given that if item cleans up really mattered alot it would be a huge hassle for persistence in general but now with persistent items more and more shit overall will be across the entire game anyway?? Items that people dont want destroyed will mount up anyway ? ya know ? and the server can handle that "de-spawn" for resets ?

So yes, I must stress I am merely speculating here from what I have experienced and I'm not sandbagging any ideas :D Hope I get the point across I mean