Pokerguy12

Lock picking from a lockpicking hobbyist

I recently saw pooke's video on lockpicking with the new tool in experimental branch. I honestly didnt know that this feature would ever make it to the game or that it was even being considered.

I pick locks as one of my unusual hobbies with my Southhord MPXS toolset and have a few gripes with how i think they are approaching the design and implementation of the system(i am implying that i am aware the current system is in development and will change so keep it shut if you want to whine "Alpha"). I see lockpicking systems in many games and usually let how they are so unrealistically portrayed pass without and bother because those games are usually targeted at the casual console demographic. But in the case of Dayz i see huge potential for a survival simulator to authentically recreate this action that is something within my area of interest.(hunger and thirst simulation systems are a joke, gastrointestinal simulator 2014)

For the uninformed, you need TWO tools to pick a lock, a pick and a torque wrench. I am lazy to include pictures so do a google search on your own by try to imagine one tool that pushes the pins of the lock and other that TURNS the cylinder to open the door. It seems you can complete the action with just a pick multitool which is completely impossible and ridiculous to anyone who know the basics of lock picking. The good thing, is that you can use any makeshift item that will not break and is thin enough to fit inside the lock hole, so the creative team could create crafting recipes that use any of the of tools and items. Paperclips, thin metal rulers and even small scissors(possible medpack item) are good examples. 

Successfully picking a lock takes TIME TIME TIME. I said it, unless you have xray vision of superman or the echo hearing of daredevil to mentally visualize the internal structure of the lock you can never open a lock you are picking for the first time in less than a minute. The generally utilized professional method involves the long process of "scanning" the lock and "testing" the insides before you start picking, or you could just ram a paperclip in and out which is called raking not picking and hope for some luck which usually damages your tools and yields no success. In pookes video you can open a lock instantly just by equipping the pick and selecting the corresponding action, hell it takes more time to scroll to the right action on the mouse menu that actually picking the lock until it opens. Without going into too much detail about lockpicking theory, the process of opening the lock is a continuous process and cannot be interrupted or else you lose your progress when the pins slide back as if you never started.

Another thing is that locks are generally not kept in conditions that preserve the material they are made off. Unless you are like me and keep a collection well oiled, clean and free of rust and dirt. The locks on houses harbor generally harbor dust/dirt/rust and other buildup, a key would slide in and out no problem because as something designed to fit within the hole of the lock and slide everything exactly into place. But if you had to go at it with crude instruments and fiddle your way through with the accuracy and precision even a seamstress would not be able to match with a needle and thread, you will no doubt be hindered greatly in your picking. Thankfully, there is a solution to this, a can of WD40 will generally resolve this problem and not only reduce the time needed to pick the lock but decrease the chances of your tools breaking because lubrication will give your fingers a better sense of control and spatial perception, which without the insufficiently skilled will inadvertetly end up breaking his delicate tools. So my suggestion is add cans of WD 40 to the game and give it a whole host of other functions like cleaning rifles or fixing cars, whatever, you guys can probably come up with some revolutionary suggestions

Pin_and_tumbler_lock_picking.PNG

• Like 7

Thanks escobert for the beans:) I will be making another thread about why the development team at BI should include a psychology department to design the game for immersion and emotional experiences

Thanks escobert for the beans:) I will be making another thread about why the development team at BI should include a psychology department to design the game for immersion and emotional experiences

Functionality > Realism

Also would this not train kids to start trying to break into their fathers safe or something?

Functionality > Realism

Also would this not train kids to start trying to break into their fathers safe or something?

It trains them to kill zombies and to kill on sight, so yeah why not.

It trains them to kill zombies and to kill on sight, so yeah why not.

hahaha!! Yes agree! 0% communication with the next person they meet.... Execute them! Will go down well in the real world

• Like 1

The easy route would be to just get rid of the lockpick multi tool and just have a snake rake and hook pick. Then just be able to walk up to the door and have to perform maybe a 2 minute, uninterrupted animation to pick the lock. Have it make a jiggling noise to alert nearby people that an event is occurring. Your ideas are really thorough and all but like Sleeves said, Functionality > Realism

• Like 1

Or you could use a bump key and a rock...

Or a shape charge. Or a ram. I just meant that if they keep the lockpick in play then that is a simple kit item to have instead of a fancy multi tool. Even a lockpick gun.

The easy route would be to just get rid of the lockpick multi tool and just have a snake rake and hook pick. Then just be able to walk up to the door and have to perform maybe a 2 minute, uninterrupted animation to pick the lock. Have it make a jiggling noise to alert nearby people that an event is occurring. Your ideas are really thorough and all but like Sleeves said, Functionality > Realism

Anything that is "uninterrupted"  animation would be IMO ridiculous.  As you should easily be able to cancel the lock pick should you need to, Javier Bardem.

Edited by Grundlesmuggler
  • Like 2

Oh god no.

As others have suggested, there is a good game-driven reason why this process in DayZ is not realistic. 

Of course it is the same reason that we do not spend 4 hours locked in animation to construct a pig-hide backpack.  As a prehistoric archaeologist I feel a little annoyed that people can use a hide without having to first tan/cure it with the animals brains and stretch the hide as it dries.  Then I remember that I don't want to do that in the game either  ;)

For that matter, no one should be able to skin a cow or elk and cut out steaks in 5 seconds either.

If lockpicking is going to be realistic and difficult, I also want the option to just say 'fuck it' and smash a window :P

• Like 3

If lockpicking is going to be realistic and difficult, I also want the option to just say 'fuck it' and smash a window :P

Pretty much.

Take one of these, insert the pry bar in the jam next to the lock. Kick it until the lock breaks (I've done it, with the hatchet none the worse for wear. It is a solid piece of steel, not gonna break.)

Or, apply the pry bar directly to the hinge, kick until open.

61TTcgp4tBL._SY355_.jpg

Screw wasting time picking locks.

• Like 1

Too many variables.  Don't make it as simplistic a task as literally ANYTHING was in the mod; however, trying to make it realistic enough for some lockpick snob to approve of...then having to tweak it because some guy can't do it so he wants to just be able to smash through windows... then having to tweak more because the guy who locked the door complained that it got picked while he was offline....then tweak it more because he's now online, but didn't realize you could smash through windows and is complaining...then tweak it because...you get the drift.  

Lockpicking isn't gamebreaking for enough people to warrant that much attention IMO.  Honestly I would rank it below working on fall detection/elevation change movement.  Like how ridiculous is it that we aren't athletic enough to run at least 3/4 speed down a slightly steep incline but we can farther an longer than all of the Kenyans combined.

• Like 1

In "The Walking Dead", which I consider closest visualisation of Z-apocalypse up to date, I have not seen anyone lockpicking. Probably because it is too dangerous to stay in one place for 15-20 minutes or more being deeply concentrated on something size of an ashtray as your visual cone narrows and you are not aware of your surroundings.

Besides, breaking the door or a window is much faster. Only thing you risk is noise but you not going to do it in a street full of Zeds anyway.

That being said, the Original Poster's idea is not going to work here in my opinion.

Nevertheless, he did an awesome job on bringing the lockpicking closer to an average man so I give can of beans.

Anything that is "uninterrupted"  animation would be IMO ridiculous.  As you should easily be able to cancel the lock pick should you need to, Javier Bardem.

I don't mean something you can't cancel out of. Sorry that wasn't clear. I just mean that it would take a long time and it needs to be in one go at it. You can still of course cancel any operation. Starting to pick and then jiggling the door and canceling to try and lure someone out might be a good way to get in as well.

Yes all of this.  Cooking should be the same way.  We need a prep table, chopping knives, sanitiser lotion(don't want to get the yuckies from your hands on the food), monitor the heat/temperature while cooking, know when to add ingredients  and have Gordon Ramsey give his ok after it's all said and done.

• Like 1

...and have Gordon Ramsey give his ok after it's all said and done.

Dude, As soon as he starts yelling at me I would so take out my sawed off shotgun and remove him from my ZA reality. :)

• Like 1

Dude, As soon as he starts yelling at me I would so take out my sawed off shotgun and remove him from my ZA reality. :)

Bahahaha, awesome.

I expect you will hate this but I really enjoyed the payday 2 lock picking mechanic for some reason, even if it's incredibly simple and arcadie. Simply holding a key for an uninterrupted set amount of time.

• Like 1

I can see it now.....one of my team finds a barricaded house....he slowly stealthily begins to pick the lock...an hour of trying later...

John Rambo fresh spawn comes running up with an axe and breaks through the wooden door in 30 seconds flat...

My guy sits there looking at the axe on his back with a very disappointed and stupid look on his face :)

I expect you will hate this but I really enjoyed the payday 2 lock picking mechanic for some reason, even if it's incredibly simple and arcadie. Simply holding a key for an uninterrupted set amount of time.

That's cool, but a bit too simple for me. I liked the fallout method (with the rotate pick then apply force)....and oblivion method (knocking up the pins inside the barrel). A fusion of the two could work in dayz, stage one knock up the pins, then stage two rotate the pick and apply force :)

I think the actual "picking" animation should be prolonged to ~15 seconds. & it should be possible to "fail" to pick the lock. It would generally be the same concept of failing to light a fire because of the wind.

The success rate should be determined by the condition of the lock-picking tool itself:

Pristine - 85% chance of success

Worn - 70% chance of success

Damaged - 50% chance of success

Badly Damaged - 25% chance of success

Ruined - Nope.

But in reality, during an apocalypse, people would likely just break locks using force to make their way in if they really want to. Takes about a fraction of a second to fire a shotgun shell, but you won't be locking the door anymore after that.  :)

Edited by blunce

I think the actual "picking" animation should be prolonged to ~15 seconds. & it should be possible to "fail" to lock the pick. it would generally be the same concept of failing to light a fire because of the wind.

The success rate should be determined by the condition of the lock-picking tool itself:

Pristine - 85% chance of success

Worn - 70% chance of success

Damaged - 50% chance of success

Badly Damaged - 25% chance of success

Ruined - Nope.

But in reality, during an apocalypse, people would likely just break locks using force to make their way in if they really want to. Takes about a fraction of a second to fire a shotgun shell, but you won't be locking the door anymore after that.  :)

Pretty much. The only time I would be picking any locks is when I would want to lock the door again when I was done.

• Like 1