NotRedd

Breaking down weapons?

So does anyone know about breaking down weapons and what not to save space? By that I mean, taking the barrel off a shot gun and the stock so you can fit it in your back pack. Only way to get it to working order is to put it back together again. 

This isn't really a suggestion, although it would be neat. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of something like this being added.

• Like 1

So does anyone know about breaking down weapons and what not to save space? By that I mean, taking the barrel off a shot gun and the stock so you can fit it in your back pack. Only way to get it to working order is to put it back together again. 

This isn't really a suggestion, although it would be neat. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of something like this being added.

Not sure if it will apply to the shotgun considering you should saw that bitch off anyway.  But I haven't tested it with Ak's or M4's yet.  I'm assuming the gun size is the same with or without the attachments so currently no you can't.  But it's an interesting idea if they make it take time to put together.

• Like 1

Sounds like a neat idea. A lot of things could be done when the game is near finished and the crafting system is working and a major part of the game.

Kinda off topic but personally I kinda wish the inventory had 4x the current blocks but no more space.

So backpacks have more blocks but items take up more blocks too. This way there would be more varying and realistic space requirements for small and large items alike. It would also make inventory management require a little more attention. :)

I'm not sure that that'd be a good idea for most guns.  You'd need tools in most cases to get a gun down to a small enough size to make a difference, and then you just have a bunch of small, vital parts floating around.  Granted we can pretty much just swap out gun parts (stocks, handguards, ect) without tools.

Right now with attachments and bayonets it actually takes less space to have your gun all assembled as it just takes up the gun slot instead of precious backpack space. Same with fireplace kits and stones and stuff like that. Right now it's better all together but I suppose one day it might be implemented but then they would need to change how the whole storage/tetris grid works so I can't see it happening any time soon. 

We should be able to eventually break down weapons, but not for space: for cleaning.

In real life, if you don't disassemble your firearm, clean it, and lubricate certain parts, it will (over time) have higher propensity to jam, failure to feed, etc.

This should take an "appreciable" (long enough so you appreciate the outcome, not long enough where people would willingly skip it in favor of jams and malfunctions). Those who don't want to maintain their gear in favor of "pew pew die die" PvP action could suffer from jams and other malfunctions. Imagine mag-dumping that AKM, only to have it jam mid-burst! Priceless!

Those weapons with a minimum of moving parts ( AKA the revolver, the repeater, the shotguns [pump and break open], and the break open rifle) would have the least propensity to jam/malfunction. This could lead to the playerbase leaving behind automatic "top  tier" (pshhhh HAHAHAHA I LOVE that term!) in favor of easier to maintain firearms.

Plus, it would give an actual use for all the "Firearm Repair Kits" laying about.

Realism = Awesome

• Like 4

We should be able to eventually break down weapons, but not for space: for cleaning.

In real life, if you don't disassemble your firearm, clean it, and lubricate certain parts, it will (over time) have higher propensity to jam, failure to feed, etc.

This should take an "appreciable" (long enough so you appreciate the outcome, not long enough where people would willingly skip it in favor of jams and malfunctions). Those who don't want to maintain their gear in favor of "pew pew die die" PvP action could suffer from jams and other malfunctions. Imagine mag-dumping that AKM, only to have it jam mid-burst! Priceless!

Those weapons with a minimum of moving parts ( AKA the revolver, the repeater, the shotguns [pump and break open], and the break open rifle) would have the least propensity to jam/malfunction. This could lead to the playerbase leaving behind automatic "top  tier" (pshhhh HAHAHAHA I LOVE that term!) in favor of easier to maintain firearms.

Plus, it would give an actual use for all the "Firearm Repair Kits" laying about.

Realism = Awesome

Jams aren't that common, though. No one would leave an assault rifle for a two-shot double rifle simply because the latter might not jam as much.

Assault rifles are more effective. Even if they malfunction occasionally, they are more effective then bolt actions, double barrels, and repeaters. Not saying we shouldn't get jamming, but, here is the issue with this as a 'balance' -

You'd have to make the guns jam frequently, or else the chance is so unnoticeable no one will really give a shit. The problem with this is that your AK or AR rifle isn't going to jam every two magazines unless its a pretty shit gun. Sure, the cleaning / maintenance would lower the chance, but as you said, this would require tools and kits.

That brings up another problem -

DayZ is hellish when it comes to finding even low tier items you want. Hacksaws become more valuable then gold yet ammunition pours out at you like waterfalls...

Plus, in all my time of shooting with my family, we've had bolt actions and more 'civilian' or simple rifles jam and malfunction on us then our more 'modern' guns, such as our AR-15. I think our AR-15 has jammed one whole time, not even. This is probably due to the fact our .223's are more quality than our .308's which are primarily reloaded, but, eh, what I'm trying to say is that assault rifles aren't jam machines.

You probably realize this, I just wanted to point out how hard it would be to make jamming aspects a reason to go with an old ass gun over a newer one.

Even if my AK jams every once and while, they come with cleaning kits built into the fucking stock which means I shouldn't have much of a problem keeping it running. Plus, its a versatile, reliable weapon, ten times more durable than AR models.

Jams aren't that common, though. No one would leave an assault rifle for a two-shot double rifle simply because the latter might not jam as much.

Assault rifles are more effective. Even if they malfunction occasionally, they are more effective then bolt actions, double barrels, and repeaters. Not saying we shouldn't get jamming, but, here is the issue with this as a 'balance' -

You'd have to make the guns jam frequently, or else the chance is so unnoticeable no one will really give a shit. The problem with this is that your AK or AR rifle isn't going to jam every two magazines unless its a pretty shit gun. Sure, the cleaning / maintenance would lower the chance, but as you said, this would require tools and kits.

That brings up another problem -

DayZ is hellish when it comes to finding even low tier items you want. Hacksaws become more valuable then gold yet ammunition pours out at you like waterfalls...

Plus, in all my time of shooting with my family, we've had bolt actions and more 'civilian' or simple rifles jam and malfunction on us then our more 'modern' guns, such as our AR-15. I think our AR-15 has jammed one whole time, not even. This is probably due to the fact our .223's are more quality than our .308's which are primarily reloaded, but, eh, what I'm trying to say is that assault rifles aren't jam machines.

You probably realize this, I just wanted to point out how hard it would be to make jamming aspects a reason to go with an old ass gun over a newer one.

Even if my AK jams every once and while, they come with cleaning kits built into the fucking stock which means I shouldn't have much of a problem keeping it running. Plus, its a versatile, reliable weapon, ten times more durable than AR models.

I do realize this. Just adds some verisimilitude to a "survival game".

In real life, I would choose a shotgun and a revolver over an assault rifle and an automatic. More reliable, dependable, etc. It all comes down to personal preference.

I like the whole jamming and cleaning idea , I agree with Paulie though that it shouldn't jam that often BUT I love the idea of guns jamming so I do believe guns should degrade in quality after LOTS of use (or from being thrown or dropped a lot) which I think is planned , so that badly damaged and damaged guns have like a 25-33% chance of jamming when being used in rapid succession or something like that ?

Well, I was hoping with the addition of folding stocks and what not it would save on space in your invetory since you're packing your gun essentially. Same way the bipod worked, right click and extend it in the inventory. So you can shoot it with it folded or not, naturally folded would be worse for accuracy, but save on inventory space like the mp5 with how small it is. It's a dream.

If the tolerances are loose and the steel is tempered right, I'd wager an AK will fire off more rounds without a hitch than any revolver. We're talking in the thousands. Same for many handguns. This isn't the early 20th century. A good automatic handgun isn't your standard 1911 anymore. I'd put my money on the cz any day.

I think weapons spawning in less than pristine condition should play into this discussion/mechanic in a big way. A pristine weapon of any type should not be affected by the kind of wear we'd be seeing in a typical character's life. But, a damaged or badly damaged automatic rifle or pistol should need to be tended to before use. If not, then you run the risk of jams or your accuracy suffering.

The question is, where is the balance between weapon condition/degradation being a non factor, and it being a gamey, over the top mechanic that takes away from gameplay.

The simplest implementation that comes to mind is two-part. The first part is how items degrade over time. I think there being a percentage chance of the weapon dropping to a lower stage of condition after each shot fired could work. Of course, we're talking tiny percentages.

The next part, would be an increasing chance of weapon jamming based upon weapon condition. Both of these parts would be different depending on the weapon, and would need to be prevented or counteracted with varying levels of difficulty dependent upon the weapon and how badly degraded it was.

Just a thought.

Edit: ammunition quality could also play into this as well!

Edited by Dagwood

Breaking down an M4A1 into a lower and upper receiver would be a good idea. They pretty small when separated and could be stashed in a pack with ease.