Sign in to follow this  
EnglishNugget

Having your own server?!?

Me and a few guys who i play with are thinking of all chipping in and getting our own server? 

Anyone have their own? Pro's and Cons please

We all have a few weeks off work so going to get it for that and have a DAM GOOD GAMING SESSION :D

Nugget

Some servers seem to have so much loot compared to others. So surely there is a setting when starting the server to 'High Loot'

We are thinking of making a high loot server so we can get geared quicker. Just an idea we had between our clan :)

Edited by kichilron
Quoted Hidden.

You can also try our server out if your looking at Vilayer as a possible provider, and feel free to jump in our teamspeak and ask questions about our experience with Vilayer and other hosting providers. 74.208.103.208

Only insight I can offer is that, if you really want to rent a server, & thinking long term, I would just wait until private shards are available & persistence is working. The only pros to having a server at the moment really is that you can choose server location for ideal ping, & you have the ability to restart the server & kick players. Though you can't abuse that power.

The cons: You need to pay for the server, persistence is broken, you can't lock your server or keep it password protected, you can't ban people, & you can't enforce certain rules. With the implementation of private shards, all of that will change. This is why I say it's likely in your best interest to just wait. & really, private shards are right around the corner, I don't think you'll be waiting too long.

believe that you pay monthly for a server (not entirely sure as I don't personally run our clan server). Considering that you mentioned you have a few weeks off, I would suggest just finding a reliable server for the time being. Renting a server is more long term, & will be much more practical with private shards.

• Like 1

Some servers seem to have so much loot compared to others. So surely there is a setting when starting the server to 'High Loot'

We are thinking of making a high loot server so we can get geared quicker. Just an idea we had between our clan :)

No you cant adjust the amount of loot that is spawned. 

• Like 1

There is no such option - only thing you can do in these terms is to restart more often - a restart will reset the loot - all Servers with "High loot" in the name are actually violating the Server Hosting Rules by Bohemia: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/158966-dayz-standalone-server-hosting-rules-server-reporting/

I believe that those servers have minimal restarts, & loot respawning is implemented at the moment. Say for example a server resets only once every 24 hours. After the server resets, by the 23rd hour, there will appear to be more loot than usually because loot just keeps respawning without frequent server resets.

Ah i didnt realise the 'High Loot' servers are lying. Sorry for me sounding stupid but what is 'persistence' and what does it do to the gameplay?

wait till game has more in. running servers are expensive time consuming if done rightr and you want to get it busy. many people dont realize how much effort goes into getting one popular and think its just a case of payiung for it and then it magically fills.

at the moment there isnt much to lure people to play on your server as most are identical. so i would wait for shards to get established and more content then jump in .

wait till game has more in. running servers are expensive time consuming if done rightr and you want to get it busy. many people dont realize how much effort goes into getting one popular and think its just a case of payiung for it and then it magically fills.

at the moment there isnt much to lure people to play on your server as most are identical. so i would wait for shards to get established and more content then jump in .

what can you offer people to join your server then? Whats shards? Sorry im still new to DayZ

I believe that those servers have minimal restarts, & loot respawning is implemented at the moment. Say for example a server resets only once every 24 hours. After the server resets, by the 23rd hour, there will appear to be more loot than usually because loot just keeps respawning without frequent server resets.

There is a forced 4h restart on any GSP so there should be no server with more then 4h uptime without restart. Although the Loot is respawning the Persistence is not forced and when it is not enabled the loot will reset after a restart - spawning new loot - equals more loot then on a Server with 4h restarts.

• Like 1

Ah i didnt realise the 'High Loot' servers are lying. Sorry for me sounding stupid but what is 'persistence' and what does it do to the gameplay?

You drop items, and they stay there even after restart

You drop items, and they stay there even after restart

Ah i see, yes thats bloody annoying! 

what can you offer people to join your server then? Whats shards? Sorry im still new to DayZ

You can not offer anything right now - its all down to popularity/advertisement.

Shards are Servers that are not connected to other servers unless they are in the same Shard - currently there are only Servers in one Shard the public HIVE. Would you connect now to another Shard when they are implemented you would have a completely different character - its a own economy for one or several Servers.

Ah i see, yes thats bloody annoying! 

Well its kinda nice, if you want a stash in the woods, or your mate dies and his gear will still be there for him. Else, without it, everything disapears eventually.

No referral / affiliate-links here, thank you.

• Like 1

There is a forced 4h restart on any GSP so there should be no server with more then 4h uptime without restart. Although the Loot is respawning the Persistence is not forced and when it is not enabled the loot will reset after a restart - spawning new loot - equals more loot then on a Server with 4h restarts.

Okay I see. Thanks for clarifying.

No referral / affiliate-links here, thank you.

You are welcome!

Okay I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Sure you are also very welcome ! :D

When you got any other question feel free to ask. Afterall i am here to help the community ;)

the price for a server is too damn high at the moment. Wait until you can change the loading screen backdrop or they allow server runners to customize the server experience outside of chat messages.

Servers are crazy expensive at the moment, hope that will change soon

unless the game bombs the servers will stay pretty expensive. its normally done on a per slot per player expense and dayz has a highish number per server.

unless you have access to your own dedicated server box which is somehow free or very cheap.

Me and a few guys who i play with are thinking of all chipping in and getting our own server? 

Anyone have their own? Pro's and Cons please

We all have a few weeks off work so going to get it for that and have a DAM GOOD GAMING SESSION :D

Nugget

I rent from gameservers and they suck. I've had over 10 support tickets and switched boxes. Support tickets take anywhere from 17-72 hours to get a response. No drop down or tick box for persistence and you have to put in a support ticket to turn it on. They say they server like 20+ countries but when you get in they are all on back order. Price for 30 plaer is 70 and they force you into a TS. Also, clan pay refunds can become a hassle.

Vilayer has a weird setting that you can't control for max ping, or so I hear.

Fragnet only does 40 player servers.

I think we will be moving to Multiplay at the end of the month and doing a 3 month option to keep costs down.

unless the game bombs the servers will stay pretty expensive. its normally done on a per slot per player expense and dayz has a highish number per server.

unless you have access to your own dedicated server box which is somehow free or very cheap.

Well our clan does have a couple dedicated boxes, however, we would still need the server files

I rent from gameservers and they suck. I've had over 10 support tickets and switched boxes. Support tickets take anywhere from 17-72 hours to get a response. No drop down or tick box for persistence and you have to put in a support ticket to turn it on. They say they server like 20+ countries but when you get in they are all on back order. Price for 30 plaer is 70 and they force you into a TS. Also, clan pay refunds can become a hassle.

Vilayer has a weird setting that you can't control for max ping, or so I hear.

Fragnet only does 40 player servers.

I think we will be moving to Multiplay at the end of the month and doing a 3 month option to keep costs down.

So far I dont have any problems with the max ping on our Vilayer server, and the tickets are responded to within 24hrs, so I think thats not to bad for service, and they are cheap.

Well our clan does have a couple dedicated boxes, however, we would still need the server files

So far I dont have any problems with the max ping on our Vilayer server, and the tickets are responded to within 24hrs, so I think thats not to bad for service, and they are cheap.

Can you adjust your max ping? If no, what is the stock setting?

Also, what were your tickets about?