Sign in to follow this  
Roshi (DayZ)

Sorting out the whole apple tree situation...

Righto - here is my suggestion to replace the current "Search for Apples" system (which I find a little annoying considering I can see a tree laden with apples and when I search I usually find "not a thing"):

- take the 2D apples off the apple trees

- have 3D apples spawn on a variety of points on the apple trees (as per other loot spawns) so that if they are visible then you can simply place the cross hairs over them and 'pick them' as per other loot.

- you could have a low number of 'good' apples spawn and a whole lot of rotten apples (so that it's not a completely ridiculous orgy of apple eating joy).

The reasons for this are:

- it adds to immersion (one less artificial feeling mechanic - if I look for apples on an apple tree I can see them pretty quick).

- it seems like a fairly plausible approach and may not be too difficult to code (but I'm not a programmer so probably wrong).

- the same system could be applied to berries (and later other gathered foods e.g. orange trees, Klashnikov trees).

Thoughts, feelings, vague intuitions?

• Like 1

Hopefully one day... but maybe it wont happen so it stays as an easy option to find food in the most basic manner but the price is you dont see what is available so you have to search everything..?         you know, keeping it game related more so than realistic else its too easy to grab all the fruit and searching the trees can resort(or stay rather) as a desperate mans labor... MAYBE 

But seriously, can you dig what I mean ?

The main difficulty in implementing this might be in the way items spawn, maybe they have to spawn on top a surface, and a tree is not a surface.

We could only reach the low hanging fruits.

I've been joking about the ability to climb trees with my friends though, that'd be awesome, even if it would work like a ladder does.

IRL I would shake the tree violently and pick the fallen fruit from the ground. I'd love to see that as the animation, and fruit could spawn on the ground.

Edited by Rico Heart

The problem is server performance I guess. If you put apples you can see and grab in the trees, it means those apples are some dynamic objects. They are putting loads on the limit of dynamic objects available on servers... It means more apple in the trees = less loot and less zombies.

So definitely "no" to your suggestion. An easy answer for immersion problem could be to randomly spawn apples and rotten apples (so you see them on the trees but you don't know if they are rotten or edible).