Sign in to follow this  
UltimateGentleman

Are we going to get dismemberment/gore?

As for the dismemberment not being realistic, these are visibly decaying bodies so that could account for something and even if you couldn't lop off a limb in one strike you could certainly reach the bone and break it a bit, enough for the thing to not be walking after.

No they are not. 

Those are just rabid humans, not resurrected undead. 

• Like 1

No they are not. 

They may not be true undead but they should definitely be gorier in some aspects.

They may not be true undead but they should definitely be gorier in some aspects.

I want to be able to suffocate fellow survivors with plastic bag. With a compulsory neck snap. 

• Like 1

I want to be able to suffocate fellow survivors with plastic bag. With a compulsory neck snap. 

same

This is a mature game. If you cannot understand that especially in a zombie type game than I really don't know why your here. Currently the game is WAY WAY to PG clean at the moment. Its like sickeningly DISNEY right now.

I cannot agree with you more about this. But you have to remember there are ppl who apparently are ok without this. Of coarse those ppl can get my middle finger.

None of the weapons currently in-game have the firepower to blast people into chunks, Fallout 3 style. Put a large wound channel into someone, knock them flat dead on their ass, yes. But not dismember with a single shot. I've already touched on how dismembering with melee weapons is both unrealistic and rather difficult.

So, asides from "This Gaem shud be GORY AND BLODY becauz AW3SUM3!", what would dismemberment and gore add to the game, asides from taking away from authenticity and adding to computing strain? Name literally one aspect of the game that would be improved, and I will debate the point with you.

So far, it seems like you just want Gorn for Gorn's sake, which is inherently childish, IMHO. Fear and terror doesn't have to be "BLOOD AND GORE EVERYWHERRRREEEEEE". I find the current atmosphere in-game quite frightening enough as-is, what with the themes of isolation and all.

• Like 1

None of the weapons currently in-game have the firepower to blast people into chunks, Fallout 3 style. Put a large wound channel into someone, knock them flat dead on their ass, yes. But not dismember with a single shot. I've already touched on how dismembering with melee weapons is both unrealistic and rather difficult.

So, asides from "This Gaem shud be GORY AND BLODY becauz AW3SUM3!", what would dismemberment and gore add to the game, asides from taking away from authenticity and adding to computing strain? Name literally one aspect of the game that would be improved, and I will debate the point with you.

So far, it seems like you just want Gorn for Gorn's sake, which is inherently childish, IMHO. Fear and terror doesn't have to be "BLOOD AND GORE EVERYWHERRRREEEEEE". I find the current atmosphere in-game quite frightening enough as-is, what with the themes of isolation and all.

Well Mr survival man you better open up those eyes a little wider. Cause its not scary. Its not scary in the least bit right now.

Well Mr survival man you better open up those eyes a little wider. Cause its not scary. Its not scary in the least bit right now.

Really? That is just your opinion. Take a walk around one of the larger cities. The quote " 50,000 people used to live in this city. Now it is a ghost town" comes to mind almost immediately. If you aren't at least unnerved by isolation, call the Government right away, because you are a one-of-a-kind person!

And this is without taking the zombies or bandits into effect. Think about your friends, family and neighbors. Now, they are out for your blood, and you literally cannot trust almost anybody. How does that make you feel? Feel anything when you are looting, and a door opens nearby? Plenty of people do, even on this forum.

Or, hell, how about the environment? Imagine if you couldn't magically repair broken limbs with morphine or a splint... breaking a limb would be horrifying, as no-one would be coming to help. You would be stuck there until you starved/froze/died from dehydration. 

Please, learn the difference between "horror" and "terror". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_and_terror   They describe different things: I prefer terror, and you apparently prefer horror. I find over-the-top attempts at horror (which gore is a classical, amateurish example of) rather foolish, and not frightening at all. ( I  LAUGH at the SAW movies, for reference)

YMMV

• Like 1

Or, hell, how about the environment? Imagine if you couldn't magically repair broken limbs with morphine or a splint... breaking a limb would be horrifying, as no-one would be coming to help. You would be stuck there until you starved/froze/died from dehydration. 

Well respectably i do see what your saying. But this probably pisses me off the most about the game. We as of right now can magically repair our bodies to full health. I would like to see this grounded in realism better cause as of right now there really are no consequences to having a broken limb.

Both terror and horror can be done right as this game tries to develop both but as of right now the horror element is sorely lacking and the terror element is not 100% even close still. Still to many kids running around like fucking superman shooting anything that moves without caring for there characters well being or health.

Well respectably i do see what your saying. But this probably pisses me off the most about the game. We as of right now can magically repair our bodies to full health. I would like to see this grounded in realism better cause as of right now there really are no consequences to having a broken limb.

Both terror and horror can be done right as this game tries to develop both but as of right now the horror element is sorely lacking and the terror element is not 100% even close still. Still to many kids running around like fucking superman shooting anything that moves without caring for there characters well being or health.

Even the near-constant KoS can be viewed as a source of terror, if examined from the right angle. Look at it from the view of your character: very few people survived the fall of society. Of those that did, the majority now go around, murdering everyone they find. No communication, no remorse, just a bullet to the brain. Why? You don't know. The only thing you do know....is thet you are being hunted. Being hunted is one of the "primal fears", AKA one fear that EVERYONE can understand.

As an aside, it has only been VERY recently that horror has come to the forefront of "fear". Hell, Stephen King, probably one of the best "fear" authors of the last century, HATES horror. He views it as a "shock value" tactic, and views "revulsion" (AKA gore and disgusting things) as cheap. He still uses them, of course, but far prefers to catch the reader with terror first and horror second.

Edited by Whyherro123

As an aside, it has only been VERY recently that horror has come to the forefront of "fear". Hell, Stephen King, probably one of the best "fear" authors of the last century, HATES horror. He views it as a "shock value" tactic, and views "revulsion" (AKA gore and disgusting things) as cheap. He still uses them, of course, but far prefers to catch the reader with terror first and horror second.

I really could careless if he does or not. Hes a rather terrible writer anyways.

1.  Off topic.

2.  I respect the suggestion.  But lets see how they fix the melee combat system as a whole first?  I mean there are hit detection problems, desync problems, massive zombie AI/pathing/hitbox issues, and weapon sheathing/unsheating issues.  Let's see how these progress in alpha and beta before asking for some type of over the top cosmetics.  

Wouldn't you like to see a smooth hit detection system in place first?  Not randomly pulling out whatever item you have in the 3rd hotbar while meleeing?  Having to stop to put away/draw a weapon if you are "spacebar'd" in?  Wouldn't you like to see how they are plannign to improve zombie AI first before their arms fall off?

Deathlove, on 20 Oct 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

This is a mature game. If you cannot understand that especially in a zombie type game than I really don't know why your here. Currently the game is WAY WAY to PG clean at the moment. Its like sickeningly DISNEY right now.

I cannot agree with you more about this. But you have to remember there are ppl who apparently are ok without this. Of coarse those ppl can get my middle finger.

Again I ask TO WHAT POINT?

Are you really so damn immature that you want gore for the sake of gore and in the uber cool hopes of OMG playing a "Mature Game".

• Like 1

Are you really so damn immature that you want gore for the sake of gore and in the uber cool hopes of OMG playing a "Mature Game".

Same question I asked. The answer is "yes", pretty much.

IMO, Day Z is already pretty "mature". It deals with the "end of the world", society-ending diseases, and just how horrible people can be to each other when there is nothing in their way (double meaning: both in real life, and in-game with KoS). Those sound like.....pretty mature themes to me.

Something doesn't have to be "bloody and gory" to be mature.

Same question I asked. The answer is "yes", pretty much.

IMO, Day Z is already pretty "mature". It deals with the "end of the world", society-ending diseases, and just how horrible people can be to each other when there is nothing in their way (double meaning: both in real life, and in-game with KoS). Those sound like.....pretty mature themes to me.

Something doesn't have to be "bloody and gory" to be mature.

You both are extremely squeamish it seems.

This immature card you are both trying to play is rather old to.

Some of the wants of this are common logic to be honest. You cut some one you EXPECT to see a cut not just a fountain of blood. You shoot some one in the face you EXPECT to see a bullet hole. Or for that matter on any part of the body you place a shot.

You cut some ones arm or leg off even if it takes MULTIPLE hacks and sawing you expect to see every gory detail of that piece. You see an infected eating some one you expect to see a horrible mangled and mutilated corpse overtime.

You get caught in a bear trap you expect to see that bear trap strip the flesh and mangle your leg to the point of uselessness.

If it really is "The end of the world" I expect to see some bodies of the dead civilians and military in no matter what decayed state of condition they are in if they have not been infected during the outbreak.

Playing make believe on subjects like this does not make it any more realistic ether.

Some of the wants of this are common logic to be honest. You cut some one you EXPECT to see a cut not just a fountain of blood. You shoot some one in the face you EXPECT to see a bullet hole. Or for that matter on any part of the body you place a shot.

You cut some ones arm or leg off even if it takes MULTIPLE hacks and sawing you expect to see every gory detail of that piece. You see an infected eating some one you expect to see a horrible mangled and mutilated corpse overtime.

You get caught in a bear trap you expect to see that bear trap strip the flesh and mangle your leg to the point of uselessness.

If it really is "The end of the world" I expect to see some bodies of the dead civilians and military in no matter what decayed state of condition they are in if they have not been infected during the outbreak.

Playing make believe on subjects like this does not make it any more realistic ether.

ANNNNNDDD here we go with the ad-hominem attacks.

1) The engine is not meant for that type of wound-portrayal.  The Standalone engine is a more-developed version of the ARMA II engine, something that both 1) came out in 2009 (AKA a dinosaur in computer years) and 2) was not "meant" to show that type of injury.

2) Again, why is it necessary? Answer the damn question, because the response you gave above doesn't cut it. Give us an actual reason for including gore, instead of "Aw3sum and R3alistik" (which it isn't on both counts). WHAT.DOES.IT.ADD?

3) Graphics limitations. Adding literally tens of thousands of bodies to the game world will drag my computer to the ground, and I have a $1400 rig. Adding overly complicated gore mechanics will do the same. Hell, the game is already un-optimized as it is (many MANY places suffer from severe framerate drops and other graphical issues when entering cities, where presumably you will be placing all of these bodies.) Do you want your computer to melt?

I think you have an overly dramatic view on wounding, too many slasher movies IMHO. Not every game is trying to crank the shock value to 11 like soldier of fortune did.

Everything has a cost in making a game, procedural wounding is complex and is the (only?) selling point of the sniper elite franchise.

1) The engine is not meant for that type of wound-portrayal.  The Standalone engine is a more-developed version of the ARMA II engine, something that both 1) came out in 2009 (AKA a dinosaur in computer years) and 2) was not "meant" to show that type of injury.

2) Again, why is it necessary? Answer the damn question, because the response you gave above doesn't cut it. Give us an actual reason for including gore, instead of "Aw3sum and R3alistik" (which it isn't on both counts). WHAT.DOES.IT.ADD?

3) Graphics limitations. Adding literally tens of thousands of bodies to the game world will drag my computer to the ground, and I have a $1400 rig. Adding overly complicated gore mechanics will do the same. Hell, the game is already un-optimized as it is (many MANY places suffer from severe framerate drops and other graphical issues when entering cities, where presumably you will be placing all of these bodies.) Do you want your computer to melt?

1. Than hopefully the new engine they are transferring the game over to will be better suited.

2. Besides asthetics it would add other ways for disease and contamination. You really want to drink from a waterhole with a few bloated corpses swimming in it? The gore adds realism and again your under the assumption i want fountains of blood and limbs flying everywhere like some kind of extreme Quake game which is not the case.

3. Is pretty much the same as 1 i listed.

Edited by Deathlove

1. Than hopefully the new engine they are transferring the game over to will be better suited.

2. Besides asthetics it would add other ways for disease and contamination. You really want to drink from a waterhole with a few bloated corpses swimming in it? The gore adds realism and again your under the assumption i want fountains of blood and limbs flying everywhere like some kind of extreme Quake game which is not the case.

3. Is pretty much the same as 1 i listed.

So, no real reason beyond aesthetics, then? Gotcha, no real reason at all. ":Aesthetics" is a personal choice, AKA an OPINION. And you know what is said about an opinion. At least I back up my opinion with observations on reality.

If the waterhole has corpses in it, I would move on to the next one. If not able to,  I would boil the shit out of any water taken from it, then filter it.  Making water safe to drink isn't all that difficult, guys. It just requires a little work. I have yet to understand why people think adding dead bodies and fecal material to water sources is an effective means to deny that source to anyone. It worked in the past because the other parties lacked other water sources (ie, poisoning a town well via dead cattle in the Middle AGes, etc). In Chernarus, there are pretty much 1000s of water sources to choose from, and if you aren't at least treating it superficially, you deserve to die shitting your brains out

2. Besides asthetics it would add other ways for disease and contamination. 

So, no real reason beyond aesthetics, then? Gotcha, no real reason at all. ":

What the fuck just happened ? 

What the fuck just happened ? 

I've asked numerous times for him to explore an actual rationale for including dismembering and gore into the game. He tried to bring up disease transmission and water poisoning, but I disproved it. That pretty much just leaves him with "aesthetics" as his rationale.

No they are not. 

Well their faces are pretty darn decayed unless they've been putting make-up on :P

It seems clear that even if they're not "dead" their bodies are slowly dying.

Well their faces are pretty darn decayed unless they've been putting make-up on :P

Nope, look closer. They are "merely" bleeding from the tear ducts, nose, etc, as well as having bloody/bloodshot eyes. I see no necrosis.

Look, this guy even has facial hair coming in! 

dayz-standalone-wallpaper-zombie-face.jp

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 1

What the guy above just said. They have beaten up faces. 

Give it up they are not resurrected undead. 

Just a few points:

*ARMA engine CAN handle gore. They had it in VBS.

*"Blowing off" limbs on one hit is not very realistic, or a great idea. However if you do multiple hits at roughly the same spot, why not?

*If something should be on high priority its wounds (and bleeding) on characters and blood on the environment. Other than having visual feedback on combat it could help determined what caused the death of that poor fella lying in the middle of the street. Its also the third time I'm writing it on this forum, but bleeding characters need to leave blood trails.