Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

Recipe Book + Medical Journal + Mechanic Manual

I put up a thread way back about my steamed stuffed peppers recipe…found here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/181517-recipe-steamed-stuffed-peppers/

One idea leads to another and here is what I'm thinking...

Seeing as there are a ton of books in DayZ, why not get folks using them? Learning is a cool thing and in RL these kids aren't reading (enough) books anyway. If there is no film, not interested.

This could be great for potential medics (and later on mechanics) as well as those looking to live off the land effectively in an interesting fashion.

Alas, as it stands, books are junk loot for most of the player base. Sure there are guys and gals who live off the land and like a nice book to pass the lonely nights…but lets be honest, they are the vast minority.

My idea is that a recipe book, medical journal, and mechanics manual should be rather rare and there should be a pay off for having it. Maybe even like a farmers almanac type thing to grow bigger and better crops.

Certain recipes might heal you faster over a short period of time. Maybe some recipes for healing that you would need certain herbs like Athelas for mending serious wounds. 

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Athelas

Or a recipe for a Lembas type product for long lasting energy.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Lembas

Later on medical journals will help medics find cures for certain ailments and diseases.

For mechanics and those that cry delicious tears about helicopters, lets get specific manuals for specific helo models that are absolutely necessary for repair and maintenance.

I know what your thinking: Wiki and all of the internets will just post the recipes and etc and the entire idea will be exploited.

Easily fixed: To beat the potential exploitation, one must have the book in question, in their possession, for the recipes to work. Also, tearing a page out of the book with a certain recipe, cure, etc on it will basically delete that element from that book.

I remember a very old interview with Dean Hall (maybe pre-alpha 2013ish) where he said he doesn't want skills/perks in DayZ but moreso proficiencies for medics and mechanics in the sense that the more you do it, the easier it becomes. Honestly, I think thats rather empty as how could you ever learn that profiency in the first place?

A lot of potential here imho.

Edited by Weyland Yutani

Theoretically, your solution would work. But I strongly oppose the idea of a required book to do things such as this. Let me use the mechanic one as an example. In real life, I know how to work on cars and small engines. If a zombie apocalypse occurred, I would know how to get a vehicle running. In-game, I think having skills like this in real life should help you ingame. I shouldn't need a magical book to tell me what I already know. I think that the books/manuals are a great idea to add so people can still use them, but they shouldn't be REQUIRED. I can see where this would be super useful to find a manual if you didn't know a thing about cars or something, this could save your life. But, having knowledge of skills like this in real life should help you in the game.

If I need to clarify something, please ask. Thanks.

Theoretically, your solution would work. But I strongly oppose the idea of a required book to do things such as this. Let me use the mechanic one as an example. In real life, I know how to work on cars and small engines. If a zombie apocalypse occurred, I would know how to get a vehicle running. In-game, I think having skills like this in real life should help you ingame. I shouldn't need a magical book to tell me what I already know. I think that the books/manuals are a great idea to add so people can still use them, but they shouldn't be REQUIRED. I can see where this would be super useful to find a manual if you didn't know a thing about cars or something, this could save your life. But, having knowledge of skills like this in real life should help you in the game.

If I need to clarify something, please ask. Thanks.

I got what your saying and its crystal clear. Thanks for taking the time to respond as well.

My thoughts are, just because you personally know how to work on a car in real life, doesn't mean the rest of the player base does. If what you suggest was implemented, then everyone who plays DayZ and knows how to use Google would know what to do w/o ever touching a book in-game.

The end result is, people would hear/know about the feature, but never look for a book/journal/manual and junk status will stay static.

Also, think about the long road of development and someone being on a quest to get a helo working. All the parts are acquired and now they need the know-how, only to find a book infected with cholera or a specific page torn out that they need.

Ultimately, w/o the book in possession the feature gets exploited unfortunately.

Edited by Weyland Yutani

I got what your saying and its crystal clear. Thanks for taking the time to respond as well.

My thoughts are, just because you personally know how to work on a car in real life, doesn't mean the rest of the player base does. If what you suggest was implemented, then everyone who plays DayZ and knows how to use Google would know what to do w/o ever touching a book in-game.

The end result is, people would hear/know about the feature, but never look for a book/journal/manual and junk status will stay static.

Also, think about the long road of development and someone being on a quest to get a helo working. All the parts are acquired and now they need the know-how, only to find a book infected with cholera or a specific page torn out that they need.

Ultimately, w/o the book in possession the feature gets exploited unfortunately.

I understand your point. Sadly, there is really no way around it. Pretty much every video game ever developed has hundreds of guides, cheats, walkthroughs, etc. online. Its inevitable. My thought is why punish the people in the community that DO know skills like this? Honestly, I think it should just be accepted that people will always use online resources to help them in games.

I understand your point. Sadly, there is really no way around it. Pretty much every video game ever developed has hundreds of guides, cheats, walkthroughs, etc. online. Its inevitable. My thought is why punish the people in the community that DO know skills like this? Honestly, I think it should just be accepted that people will always use online resources to help them in games.

I understand what your saying, but you got to admit your being a bit biased because you possess these skills in RL. In a perfect world, I would lean more your way. But, the people in the community that know these things are decimal point minority and shouldn't be catered to. I disagree that the integrity of the game should lay down because of online resources. Requiring books in ones possession beats the "no way around it" theory.

Out of 2.5M sales how many know mechanical aviation repair? I don't think that should be given away to all of the playerbase because a handful of people know these skills.

The point here is to keep people interested in the game as much as possible and hunting down rare books will help achieve this.

The reason why banditry, murder and kos is at an all-time high is because of lack of content, Hall himself has said this.

If you look at the mod, Bandit to Hero ratio was about 1:1 with a slight edge to Bandits. SA has brought in a ton of new players. I have met several hundred players in-game and I can modestly count on two hands (more like one) the amount of mod players I've run across. Lack of content and lack of mod players in-game (which is a fact) results in all the new players knowing what they know…COD/Counter-Strike kill kill kill mentality. Hero's are far and few in SA.

The longer there is lack of content, the longer the bandit mentality will stick around and maybe by the time the game is beta the residual effects will last a lot longer than expected, maybe indefinitely.

Certain concessions need to be made and with the exploit mentality as rampant as it is, books need to be in possession for the system to be effective. Trade and bartering needs to happen to breath life into DayZ.

Edited by Weyland Yutani

I understand what your saying, but you got to admit your being a bit biased because you possess these skills in RL. In a perfect world, I would lean more your way. But, the people in the community that know these things are decimal point minority and shouldn't be catered to. I disagree that the integrity of the game should lay down because of online resources. Requiring books in ones possession beats the "no way around it" theory.

Out of 2.5M sales how many know mechanical aviation repair? I don't think that should be given away to all of the playerbase because a handful of people know these skills.

The point here is to keep people interested in the game as much as possible and hunting down rare books will help achieve this.

The reason why banditry, murder and kos is at an all-time high is because of lack of content, Hall himself has said this.

If you look at the mod, Bandit to Hero ratio was about 1:1 with a slight edge to Bandits. SA has brought in a ton of new players. I have met several hundred players in-game and I can modestly count on two hands (more like one) the amount of mod players I've run across. Lack of content and lack of mod players in-game (which is a fact) results in all the new players knowing what they know…COD/Counter-Strike kill kill kill mentality. Hero's are far and few in SA.

The longer there is lack of content, the longer the bandit mentality will stick around and maybe by the time the game is beta the residual effects will last a lot longer than expected, maybe indefinitely.

Certain concessions need to be made and with the exploit mentality as rampant as it is, books need to be in possession for the system to be effective. Trade and bartering needs to happen to breath life into DayZ.

Makes sense. I think you misunderstood one thing though. When you said this I think you misunderstood what I said earlier. Since the book is not required, it would still be very hard to do, and damn near impossible to just guess your way through. But you would still have to know what part goes where and how everything works. From what this said it put me under the impression that you thought I meant it would be super easy and anyone could do it. I may be slightly biased on the car part, but I would have no clue as to how to get an aircraft running, or how to fix a radio or something. I would definently want to have a manual for whatever I need to do if I have no idea how to do it. If the amount of content is as high as Dean and the devs want by the end, pretty much everyone will have some sort of RL knowledge that will help them. Everyone will also need the books for different tasks too.

I agree with the fact that people KOS because of boredom, but theres nothing we can do about that except wait =P

• Like 1

Makes sense. I think you misunderstood one thing though. When you said this I think you misunderstood what I said earlier. Since the book is not required, it would still be very hard to do, and damn near impossible to just guess your way through. But you would still have to know what part goes where and how everything works. From what this said it put me under the impression that you thought I meant it would be super easy and anyone could do it. 

Did you play the mod at all? Vehicle/aviation replair consisted of knowing what was broke by having a tool box. If you had a tool box you could textually see what parts were missing and the damage rating of what parts were already inside. There wasn't any visuals to repair. If they keep the same system then having the book would be necassary to combat online guide exploits.

On the other hand, if they had some sort of grahpical representation of an engine and your profiency at fixing them was kind of like The Long Dark with making fires and how they go out, then having the book all the time might not be necessary. Not sure if this would be considered a rating of skill or profiency at that point. I have serious doubts we'll see any graphical representation of engine repair other than the mod a la textual. But ya never know. It would be super cool if that was the case.

Going to watch TWD, later man…good chat!

I like the idea but it needs tweaking.

How about experience being gained from doing repair and finding books excelling your progress.

I personally don't agree with people who think that a life in DayZ should not be treasured and is worthless. I think that dying in DayZ should have a bigger effect than just putting you back on the coast so u can run back to your tent and re-gear. 

Hear me out. What if you can find a notepad and when doing maintenance on vehicles your notepad starts filling with tips and shortcuts, maybe some improvised short term items could be made to get a vehicle moving for a short distance. Reading books could add more of these tips and improvisations.

Upon dying your notepad is not lootable even if you are returning to your corpse and without the notepad with content u obviously cant make these items.

You could take it a lot further. Use it for gardening, making clothes etc. Start off with very basics items and crafting them would unlock improvements that could be incorperated into your next craft.

Hopefully someone can help me improve this idea.

Have a nice DayZ :)

Edited by prod

Anyways, it is better than having tones of this empty paged stuff and I think it can be made so that players would use it more often rather than googling it.

Anyways, it is better than having tones of this empty paged stuff and I think it can be made so that players would use it more often rather than googling it.

The whole point in the notepad not being lootable or not being able to make these items without a notepad with content would eliminate the use of google to shortcut the process.

The notepad would be a special item which does not act like any other item in the game. Upon dying u would lose all the experience you have gained. Hence adding value to your character. Maybe even helping to eliminate the KOS attitude.

Edited by prod