Sign in to follow this  
Robert Neville

Zombie speed?

When I'm chased by zombies they're always able to catch me, even if I'm sprinting.  If I zig-zag perhaps I'm able to leave them behind.

I've noticed in several videos players escaping zombies without too much trouble, like here: http://youtu.be/_LkQJEGL4iI

In this case the player is happily jogging around.

Anyone can explain this?

EDIT: perhaps because the player keeps zombies too close, so they don't sprint to catch him?

Edited by Robert Neville

If you have bad fps you run slower , it's not meant to happen like that but since the game is not optimized players speed is dependent on client fps which would be your fps ... But if you have a good computer it could be server Desync pulling you back? But even at full sprint zombies do not catch up to me so it seems to me just like my friends computer that your fps is bad causing you to run slower .. Also make sure you're not crouched !

• Like 1

Yeah and never try to run up the hill, because whilst the game slows you significantly down to almost not being able to move at all (means avoid climbing steep mountains/hills while running at all costs), the stupid zombie will run in the same speed as on the flat plain.

At least some of the male zombies do.

If you have bad fps you run slower , it's not meant to happen like that but since the game is not optimized players speed is dependent on client fps which would be your fps ... But if you have a good computer it could be server Desync pulling you back? But even at full sprint zombies do not catch up to me so it seems to me just like my friends computer that your fps is bad causing you to run slower .. Also make sure you're not crouched !

Aha.  This makes sense.  My computer is not so powerful and I've increased graphic settings recently.  This may be the cause of me not being able to outrun the zombies.

Yea prob bad fps, zombies should not be able to keep up with you!

Why not? They are pretty much normal people. In anything, they should be faster than you when you are fully geared, as they are not the ones carrying 60+ pounds of equipment!

• Like 2

Some zombies run faster than others, I've encountered some I can't outrun (or at least thought I'd have to run to an entirely different town in order to outrun). The ones that keep up with me closely I usually turn around and kill, or at least knock down and keep running. If I'm a bambi and I've just got fists I'll also use some other tactics, such as:

1. Running around obstacles and/or through houses to confuse/lose them
  2. Lock them in houses (this actually works a lot!)
  3. Go bowling (find a steep hill and make them chase you down it so they die)
  4. Pass the ball - run by other survivors or animals for them to attack instead. I've had luck with crazy things such as getting them to chase cows or something instead a few times, but there's usually not a ton of wildlife around to pass them off onto.
  • Like 1

Why not? They are pretty much normal people. In anything, they should be faster than you when you are fully geared, as they are not the ones carrying 60+ pounds of equipment!

yea but its kinda fun being able to out run them and zombies losing interest is what everyone is used to.

What's the deal with only 5 zombies chasing you - that needs to be fixed to 50.

If these things are like the 28 days later zeds, then they're not sprinting like they're trying to catch a bus. They're sprinting in a way that a crazy person sprints at you when he's full of rage and wants to rip your guts from your stomach.

Is it only me who sees the obvious thing about the video? The player ISN'T SPRINTING. He is running, but not sprinting.
If sprinting, any zombie will maintain the same speed as player has, and after a minute or two the zombie will start lagging behind because of "exhaustion".

What's the deal with only 5 zombies chasing you - that needs to be fixed to 50.

If these things are like the 28 days later zeds, then they're not sprinting like they're trying to catch a bus. They're sprinting in a way that a crazy person sprints at you when he's full of rage and wants to rip your guts from your stomach.

Dude, you've just had 2014 posts btw :P

• Like 1

Some zombies run faster than others, I've encountered some I can't outrun.[..]

Is this a matter of fact (i.e. different types has different running speed), or due to your specific circumstance?

[..]If sprinting, any zombie will maintain the same speed as player has, and after a minute or two the zombie will start lagging behind because of "exhaustion".

Do zombies get exhausted?

Is this a matter of fact (i.e. different types has different running speed), or due to your specific circumstance?

Do zombies get exhausted?

zombies sprint... then sometimes slow down or stop to scream... it could be my fps but it seems like sprinting zombies are often faster then me, but it doesnt matter unless they are very very close because eventually they will pause to do the zombie warcry and ill increase my distance because of it.