Ham_Sandwich27

Eating and drinking system - Please, just give it up.

I did die for the first time that wasn't on purpose last night of hunger on experimental. there was literally no food anywhere to be found. TONS of propane and propane accessories, tools, clothes and all that good stuff but no food. I found 1 tomato in an hour of searching houses. I wanted to hang around the coastal area a bit since I'm almost never near there on stable. And this while it's raining non stop and I'm freezing. Once I spawned next I immediately went inland like I normally would and did find a bit of food but I was constantly soaked and froze to death.

• Like 1

Have we not figured out this game is virtual flagelants yet? Your avatar really gets put through the ringer and gets beat thee holly hell out off, its your job to keep him or her alive! The food system is just one part of it!

Edited by CJFlint

I want to play a survival game, where the game is hard to survive... make sense?

You want to play a first(3rd?) person shooter with just enough bare bones survival stuff going around so you can pretend its a survival game.

Thank you someone said it , This guy is a Tool , that he can't find a drink or an apple , I have zero problem ever finding food or being outta the green.  Instead of Racing to the Military base to get a gun to KOS , check a house or two.  I hope they tweak it even harder for him , will give a poor soul 10 more min to live while he has to eat before he goes shooting up the streets. 

HAHAHAHAHA I'm starving  , friggin moron

Edited by Max Planck
Make your points without personal insults, please.
  • Like 1

Game is easy mang, git gud.

I was some time without playing, came back yesterday and on my second respawn I stablished a good char. I also have no problems keeping it healthly. The survival aspect is easy, game even gets boring due the lack of challange.

I want to play a survival game, where the game is hard to survive... make sense?

You want to play a first(3rd?) person shooter with just enough bare bones survival stuff going around so you can pretend its a survival game.

Thank you someone said it , This guy is a Tool , that he can't find a drink or an apple , I have zero problem ever finding food or being outta the green.  Instead of Racing to the Military base to get a gun to KOS , check a house or two.  I hope they tweak it even harder for him , will give a poor soul 10 more min to live while he has to eat before he goes shooting up the streets. 

HAHAHAHAHA I'm starving  , friggin moron

These two posts pretty much sum up 95% of dayz player base. Barely a thread about the need of hordes of infected/zombies, and the ones that do pop up usually get locked, as they apparently have been discussed, yet the threads discussing the need for weapons of mass destruction are everywhere.

What kind of a giant manbaby are you if you think the current system is too hard?

Even in the mod food was more of a focus.

• Like 1

What kind of a giant manbaby are you if you think the current system is too hard?

Even in the mod food was more of a focus.

I dont think finding food was the problem for OP. I think he just complains that all that valuable time he could have spent looking for guns had to be spent eating and drinking. All that precious space in his backpack should be filled with mags for his guns and not food

so basically what he is saying is "I dont want any distractions while i sit on the roof of a building to snipe bambis, eating and drinking is taking my attention away from my killstreak."

Seriously I facepalmed after reading the first sentence of your original post. If you dont think that eating and drinking is classed as an important role for a zombie survival simulator then you best jump back into call of duty where you belong

Edited by archamedes
  • Like 1

<snip>

Though I agree with all of your points, the hunger and thirst is actually UNDERMODELED.

It may seem OVERMODELED, but its actually so basic and simple I wouldn't call it OVERMODELED at all.

It lacks malnutrition, weakness by hunger, weakness due to thirst - All that it does is slap a death counter on you that can only be delayed by eating super constantly early game until you get to that magical point where it doesn't matter anymore.

Hunger is not a struggle, its an annoyance, one that QUICKLY KILLS YOU.

The hunger and thirst system needs to be REMODELED to be REALISTIC, so that you can survive without food for more then a half hour after you spawn, but will feel the detriment of malnourishment if you don't die. We need to slow down the whole system be like, 6, lower food and water spawns, perhaps make it easier to live off of the land. Just make it realistic, make it a struggle we can deal with that isn't annoying. I'd love to have a thin, hungry, starving character making his slow way across a town in hopes of an animal to shoot or a can to open or, even.. another person..

I'd love to see people get actually DESPERATE in this game.

• Like 1

All the guys saying "it's easy" to stay alive most likely have been walking around geared for a while and surely won't have much trouble "maintaining" their relatively Healthy state.

As a fresh spawn, it's a different story. I've suicided and re-spawned about a dozen times in 0.49 Stable and have died of hunger/environment 8 out of 12 times. Spawning anywhere near Electro on a server that sees regular traffic will have little to no food around. There isn't enough time to make it farther inland to find un-looted areas for food and forget finding a weapon to kill a deer.

I died several times with a can of food in my hand but no means to open it. And I died with a fire roaring in sight of 3 deer but no way to catch kill and skin them.

Anybody who says it's easy should really try spawning fresh again.

Personally, I like it.

I hope 1000% that the DayZ mod, and DayZ stand alone continue to separate themselves from one another. Currently they feel very different, and I love that. To each his own.

Personally, I like it.

I hope 1000% that the DayZ mod, and DayZ stand alone continue to separate themselves from one another. Currently they feel very different, and I love that. To each his own.

Considering the actual mod barely exists except for the bastardized version that is Epoch, I really hope they do stay separate. 

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 4

Anybody who says it's easy should really try spawning fresh again.

I have been testing out and playing experimental branch since they first started giving us access to it. Always opted in every time there was a new experimental build. After the first 3-4 experimental versions, they started to wipe characters every time.

I've started new more than a hundred times.

It's easy.

At least for me, I'm not saying it's easy for everyone...  But when I play, I'm the one playing, so I like it...

It's easy. B)  It's fun.

Have fun. (Or at least try to, if you can't, than find another game or source of entertainment. It'll be easier that way.)

I've started new more than a hundred times.

It's easy.

"Anyone who's done it a hundred times should have no problem doing it again". I know you have a better argument than that! Those thousand+ hours have warped your perspective. You forget what it's like to be a noob.

But at any rate...I'll speak on behalf of the OP and say all we're asking is the following:

1. Let the player live for a few hours before starving to death. Not 5 days or anything like that. But not 40 minutes either. But we need *some* time to scour at least one large city to find food AND the requisite supplies we need before dying.

2. Give me at least one other option for starting a fire. Finding an axe is hit-or-miss. Fires existed well before modern axes did so I should be able to make a fire by snapping off a few branches and using rocks to light it. The requirement to have a wooden log before you can light a fire is excessive.

3. Give me at least one other viable food source that doesn't require a firearm to kill and a knife/machete to skin. Goats and chickens exist but are so rare (in my findings) as to be impractical. I'd eat a corpse if I could before dying...but not in "realistic" DayZ. Can't do it. Can't even eat that chicken without a knife.

I love the challenge. But like many, the undue harshness does little but frustrate.

Personally, I'd love to see a more friendly Regular version with lighter requirements in these areas and then some jacked up requirements on Hardcore for all you nuts.

Edited by BlazinOne

"Anyone who's done it a hundred times should have no problem doing it again". I know you have a better argument than that! Those thousand+ hours have warped your perspective. You forget what it's like to be a noob.

But at any rate...I'll speak on behalf of the OP and say all we're asking is the following:

1. Let the player live for a few hours before starving to death. Not 5 days or anything like that. But not 40 minutes either. But we need *some* time to scour at least one large city to find food AND the requisite supplies we need before dying.

2. Give me at least one other option for starting a fire. Finding an axe is hit-or-miss. Fires existed well before modern axes did so I should be able to make a fire by snapping off a few branches and using rocks to light it. The requirement to have a wooden log before you can light a fire is excessive.

3. Give me at least one other viable food source that doesn't require a firearm to kill and a knife/machete to skin. Goats and chickens exist but are so rare (in my findings) as to be impractical. I'd eat a corpse if I could before dying...but not in "realistic" DayZ. Can't do it. Can't even eat that chicken without a knife.

I love the challenge. But like many, the undue harshness does little but frustrate.

Personally, I'd love to see a more friendly Regular version with lighter requirements in these areas and then some jacked up requirements on Hardcore for all you nuts.

1.  No.  Stop running to the cities and hit the smaller towns, pick berry bushes or apple tress.  

2. I'll give you this.  We should be able to make small fires with kindling and larger ones with logs.

3.  See number 1

I'll just say it. The hunger/thirst system is absurd. Nobody playing the mod was thinking "You know what this game is missing? An over the top, needlessly complicated, ridiculously overmodeled givestive system".  Certainly nobody was longing for a eating/drinking system that took up all of their attention while they're trying to play a zombie survival game, much less one that requres him to eat every few minutes or die of hunger.

Just stop. Give it up. The fixation with this eating/drinking system is ruining the game. With my last two characters, I fresh spawned and immidiately begain looking for food, and both times I died before I could find any. Where is the gameplay in that? Who do you think is going to want to play a game who's point is "Spawn, die of hunger. Spawn, die of hunger"? What was the point of this eating/drinking system anyway? Realism? What's realistic about a human having to eat every half an hour or die of starvation?

There was nothing wrong with the mod's hunger/thirst system. The function of hunger and thirst in a survival game is to force players to go about trying to feed themselves.  The mod's hunger/thirst system accomplished this. Overmodeling the system doens't add anything to gameplay except frustration. And hyper-fast hunger doens't accomplish anything but to make it all about finding and eating food. Fuck, pac-man ate less frequently than DayZ characters have to. DayZ was fun when food was something you had to do once in a while, not constantly. And if you were going to make it a constant eating simulator, the least you could have done was make the resources availible to accomplish that. Spawning, then immidiately dying of hunger despite your best efforts is just dumb. Nobody wants to play a game where you're going to die no matter what you do. What on earth made you think anyone would?

So seriously, just give it up. Either go back to a simple system, or slow the hunger/thirst down by like 100 times. Because right now, this game is all about your stomach, and that's destroying what the game should really be about, which is zombie survival, human interaction and adventure. Either that, or re-label the game accordingly.

wkjnkg.jpg

wait till poopin is added..

POOP-sim 2016... must have game of the year, haahahahahaahh NOT !!!

Alpha. Balancing. Mods.

We have very good chances of seeing the 3 points you shared being implemented eventually, one way or another. But in all honesty, no "noob" should "play" a software in early stage access, commonly known as alpha, and think it would be "easy" or believe he'll have a great time.

I really enjoy DayZ SA, but I've had a lot of experience in unfinished games and softwares, and knew what I was getting myself into.

If you just meant "noob" as a new player in non-pejorative way, then I've been a noob, and survived. Each experimental patch places you in front of new challenges with the mechanics and such so each time you opt it, you're a noob.

• Like 2

In other words,  "everybody look at me and how good I am at DayZ"

Congradulations. Human beings still don't die from hunger and hour or two after a meal.

And by "give it up", I'm referring to thier endles and mindboggling attempts to overmodel it when they already had the solution back in the mod.

So you are going to keep this pathetic response up to whoever rightly questions your weird claims about starving in 15 mins on stable? Not very convincing, since it doesn't happen.

• Like 3

Everything is fine. OP and his ilk just need to get good. If you have less than 200-300 hours of course you gonna make poor choices and will die a lot, either because of starvation (it is not your priority and you just want guns) or because you serverhop carelessly and die to other serverhoppers.

Unless you hop into full server and try to loot already looted city for food there is no way you can die from hunger or thirst. I noticed many people do not even look for food until it's too late. They all go instantly PVP deathmatch and then beg their friends "pls gimme food I'm starving". Let them die, If they do not learn and want to make DayZ into CoD it is their own problem.

When I play with such friends I do not give them food at all out of principles. I say go loot, whole city is yours.

So OP, if you have problem, either go to places were nobody goes anymore or just loot in empty servers. There is no other ways of getting food beside killing someone who has it.

Edited by MaxRain

I'll just say it. The hunger/thirst system is absurd. Nobody playing the mod was thinking "You know what this game is missing? An over the top, needlessly complicated, ridiculously overmodeled givestive system".  Certainly nobody was longing for a eating/drinking system that took up all of their attention while they're trying to play a zombie survival game, much less one that requres him to eat every few minutes or die of hunger.

Just stop. Give it up. The fixation with this eating/drinking system is ruining the game. With my last two characters, I fresh spawned and immidiately begain looking for food, and both times I died before I could find any. Where is the gameplay in that? Who do you think is going to want to play a game who's point is "Spawn, die of hunger. Spawn, die of hunger"? What was the point of this eating/drinking system anyway? Realism? What's realistic about a human having to eat every half an hour or die of starvation?

[..]

Amen to that, even though I think that current system is good and just need little balancing. So far I love what the dev has done, those system fix and add to gameplay, however, ultimately this is a zombie apocalypse, not survival sim, and those mechanics should be an extra not the core of gameplay.

There are always hardcore vocal clamoring for more realism/difficulty, most of them played hundreds of hours and have warped perspective, they already passed their discovery phase, know all the tricks, and generally ranting about cod kids. They are not representative of the whole community.

• Like 1

The game is already to easy for noobs. It isn't some kind of family simulator, it is supposed to be hard, the market is filled with easy games where even people with down syndrome can easily play and not die. DayZ isn't such game, from the very beginning developers said it is hardcore game. Fiding food is too easy. The biggest problem is that all these noobs fill their inventory with useless fruits and vegetables and do not look for real food, like beans, rice, spaghetti or powdered milk. Even damn pipsi cola is many times better than a shitty fruit. Instead of spending time picking up a damn fruit from a ground spend that time looking for normal food, maybe then you won't die. Fruits and vegetables has very little caloric value. It is practically non-existent.

Look for food values http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Food_and_Drink and stop picking up damn fruits.

Edited by MaxRain