Ham_Sandwich27

Eating and drinking system - Please, just give it up.

I'll just say it. The hunger/thirst system is absurd. Nobody playing the mod was thinking "You know what this game is missing? An over the top, needlessly complicated, ridiculously overmodeled digestive system".  Certainly nobody was longing for a eating/drinking system that took up all of their attention while they're trying to play a zombie survival game, much less one that requres him to eat every few minutes or die of hunger.

Just stop. Give it up. The fixation with this eating/drinking system is ruining the game. With my last two characters, I fresh spawned and immidiately begain looking for food, and both times I died before I could find any. Where is the gameplay in that? Who do you think is going to want to play a game who's point is "Spawn, die of hunger. Spawn, die of hunger"? What was the point of this eating/drinking system anyway? Realism? What's realistic about a human having to eat every half an hour or die of starvation?

There was nothing wrong with the mod's hunger/thirst system. The function of hunger and thirst in a survival game is to force players to go about trying to feed themselves.  The mod's hunger/thirst system accomplished this. Overmodeling the system doens't add anything to gameplay except frustration. And hyper-fast hunger doens't accomplish anything but to make it all about finding and eating food. Fuck, pac-man ate less frequently than DayZ characters have to. DayZ was fun when food was something you had to do once in a while, not constantly. And if you were going to make it a constant eating simulator, the least you could have done was make the resources availible to accomplish that. Spawning, then immidiately dying of hunger despite your best efforts is just dumb. Nobody wants to play a game where you're going to die no matter what you do. What on earth made you think anyone would?

So seriously, just give it up. Either go back to a simple system, or slow the hunger/thirst down by like 100 times. Because right now, this game is all about your stomach, and that's destroying what the game should really be about, which is zombie survival, human interaction and adventure. Either that, or re-label the game accordingly.

wkjnkg.jpg

Edited by Ham_Sandwich27
  • Like 27

How long did it take you to make that picture?

• Like 34

Just needs balancing. Same with the cold/warm stuff. I did lol at the pacman comment tbf.

• Like 5

I hope you are at least talking about experimental... it seems vaguely difficult to keep fed there. If you mean stable, then wow you are bad... its comically too easy to stay fed, and needs to be harder.

• Like 13

once I get the bright green energized and thirst and healthy status I don't have to eat much never really thought of it as an issue I play stable though as well not sure about experimental. hmmmmm I'm sure it just need adjustments though I mean the games not finished I'm used to playing this game with things going in extreme directions though its usually temporary I say be patient and if not I guess see ya later when the game is full version complete.

You know what would be nice?

If the next 2 years of development for DayZ happened over night.

If you think this issue should be a priority or is "game breaking" then maybe it's time for you to take a break from DayZ and follow the devtracker until you hear that they are working on this one specific factor in the game.

People are saying, "half done" because experimental is at .50 when the numbers don't mean anything!

The game is more like 1/3 done and probably won't really satisfy most gamers until at least Beta.

• Like 1

I hope you are at least talking about experimental... it seems vaguely difficult to keep fed there. If you mean stable, then wow you are bad... its comically too easy to stay fed, and needs to be harder.

Let's all give umm_me a round of applause for his elite DayZ skillz.

Good for you buddy. You've impressed the internet with your skillz. The hunder/thirst system is still overmodeled.

• Like 1

Zombie survival simulator. A rather large part of the entire survival concept is naturally based around finding the food and drink necessary to stay alive

• Like 9

The hunder/thirst system is still overmodeled.

No way man. I often butcher and eat three cows in the same day in rl and still end up hungry. There's a lot less meat on those cows than you think. I couldn't eat a fourth one though. Maybe just a wild boar or something small as a late night snack.

• Like 5

BadAsh, Nobody's suggesting eating and drinking be done away with.

Edited by Ham_Sandwich27

Let's all give umm_me a round of applause for his elite DayZ skillz.

Good for you buddy. You've impressed the internet with your skillz. The hunder/thirst system is still overmodeled.

I want to play a survival game, where the game is hard to survive... make sense?

You want to play a first(3rd?) person shooter with just enough bare bones survival stuff going around so you can pretend its a survival game.

• Like 5

As a Wilderness Survival instructor, I might be able to weigh in on some of your points:

1) Yes, you can go a significant time without food. HOWEVER, that does not mean you will "be fine" without it. A good rule of thumb is the "Rule of Threes", so in this case, the average male in average shape would be able to live three weeks without food. This is without unnecessary metabolic function, AKA when you are laying around sleeping most of the time (AKA what you are supposed to do in WS) And this is just "staying alive. At the end of those three weeks, you are going to be seriously fucked up.

a) If going without food, your body will start to deteriorate, often in ways you might not expect. Your immune system will become depressed, leading to longer wound healing times and increased rates of infection. You will become tired and lethargic almost all the time, and have slower reaction times, etc etc etc. It isn't " Wow, I am really fucking hungry".

b ) In-game, we are likely burning a SHIT-TON of energy. Look at how hilly Chernarus is, and how fast most players move. It is Autumn (AKA reasonably cold), so your body will be "running hotter" (AKA increased basal metabolic rate) just to maintain homeostasis. Now look at what we are eating. Mainly packaged foods, high in carbs, not necessarily in fats. In a survival situation, you need those fats to keep warm. I keep servings of peanut butter in my kit for emergencies. 5000 kCal of tasty goodness.

c) In-game, we are most likely scared to death. Think about it: you are getting attacked by infected-not-zombies, crazy ass-bandits, and can barely even trust that guy you just met. Our character's adrenal "fight or flight" reflex might near-constantly be triggered, leading to a higher metabolic rate.

While I agree that you shouldn't have to eat a can of beans every half hour (do that, then jog around with a pack on. Enjoy your "second serving" of beans), I like how the metabolic system works. It makes sense, based on my experience and knowledge of the field.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 13

BadAsh, Nobody's suggesting eating and drinking be done away with.

Really? Thread title "Eating and drinking system - Please just give it up" is very hard to interpret in any other way.

Anyway you are crying over what is occurring in experimental (I can only assume, because noone with an ounce of experience is going to die from hunger or thirst in stable), and that is indeed experimental for a reason. It is not representing what the game is and what it will be, they tweak numbers to test various things, and sometimes it occasions builds that makes players constantly die from hunger or thirst. That, and the constant client and server crashing, is part of the experimental, if you can't live with it, everyone strongly urges you to go back to stable.

• Like 1

Really? Thread title "Eating and drinking system - Please just give it up" is very hard to interpret in any other way.

Anyway you are crying over what is occurring in experimental (I can only assume, because noone with an ounce of experience is going to die from hunger or thirst in stable), and that is indeed experimental for a reason. It is not representing what the game is and what it will be, they tweak numbers to test various things, and sometimes it occasions builds that makes players constantly die from hunger or thirst. That, and the constant client and server crashing, is part of the experimental, if you can't live with it, everyone strongly urges you to go back to stable.

As a Wilderness Survival instructor, I might be able to weigh in on some of your points:

1) Yes, you can go a significant time without food. HOWEVER, that does not mean you will "be fine" without it. A good rule of thumb is the "Rule of Threes", so in this case, the average male in average shape would be able to live three weeks without food. This is without unnecessary metabolic function, AKA when you are laying around sleeping most of the time (AKA what you are supposed to do in WS) And this is just "staying alive. At the end of those three weeks, you are going to be seriously fucked up.

a) If going without food, your body will start to deteriorate, often in ways you might not expect. Your immune system will become depressed, leading to longer wound healing times and increased rates of infection. You will become tired and lethargic almost all the time, and have slower reaction times, etc etc etc. It isn't " Wow, I am really fucking hungry".

b ) In-game, we are likely burning a SHIT-TON of energy. Look at how hilly Chernarus is, and how fast most players move. It is Autumn (AKA reasonably cold), so your body will be "running hotter" (AKA increased basal metabolic rate) just to maintain homeostasis. Now look at what we are eating. Mainly packaged foods, high in carbs, not necessarily in fats. In a survival situation, you need those fats to keep warm. I keep servings of peanut butter in my kit for emergencies. 5000 kCal of tasty goodness.

c) In-game, we are most likely scared to death. Think about it: you are getting attacked by infected-not-zombies, crazy ass-bandits, and can barely even trust that guy you just met. Our character's adrenal "fight or flight" reflex might near-constantly be triggered, leading to a higher metabolic rate.

While I agree that you shouldn't have to eat a can of beans every half hour (do that, then jog around with a pack on. Enjoy your "second serving" of beans), I like how the metabolic system works. It makes sense, based on my experience and knowledge of the field.

Ok, so answer me this. Will you go from moderately peckish, to unconcious and dead in the span of a half an hour?

In other words,  "everybody look at me and how good I am at DayZ"

Congradulations. Human beings still don't die from hunger and hour or two after a meal.

And by "give it up", I'm referring to thier endles and mindboggling attempts to overmodel it when they already had the solution back in the mod.

Edited by Ham_Sandwich27
  • Like 1

-i dont like dayz-

-wonderful picture-

No

About 20 mins in gimp.

Beans for the picture.

As for the rest of your post: bollocks.

• Like 3

Ok, so answer me this. Will you go from moderately peckish, to unconcious and dead in the span of a half an hour?

Answer me this... in a survival situation is food important? Will you be playing your game, or have your character alive as long as it would take for REAL hunger problems to hit in? 

Time is collapsed for game play, youll be alive about x hours, but food is still a priority here in the apocalypse . To make it a factor your character gets hungry faster then you do.

• Like 5

Answer me this... in a survival situation is food important? Will you be playing your game, or have your character alive as long as it would take for REAL hunger problems to hit in? 

Time is collapsed for game play, youll be alive about x hours, but food is still a priority here in the apocalypse . To make it a factor your character gets hungry faster then you do.

IMO, I view in-game time as being "compressed" AKA 4ish hours of daylight and 4ish hours of night is an in-game "day". It makes sense concerning the distances we are travelling.

• Like 2

IMO, I view in-game time as being "compressed" AKA 4ish hours of daylight and 4ish hours of night is an in-game "day". It makes sense concerning the distances we are travelling.

Maybe all aspects of time could be compressed... i kinda meant "hunger time" in my original post though.

I'm sure someone brought this up already but I would think the point of a hunger system (or other "survival" systems, like temperature or clothes getting ruined) is not "realism" but to add organic ways to give players "goals" and force us to be on the move, to find objectives. Obviously it needs tweaking and balancing but the core design is absolutely essential to a game of this kind, in my opinion.

• Like 4

I'll just say it. The hunger/thirst system is absurd. Nobody playing the mod was thinking "You know what this game is missing? An over the top, needlessly complicated, ridiculously overmodeled givestive system".  Certainly nobody was longing for a eating/drinking system that took up all of their attention while they're trying to play a zombie survival game, much less one that requres him to eat every few minutes or die of hunger.

Just stop. Give it up. The fixation with this eating/drinking system is ruining the game. With my last two characters, I fresh spawned and immidiately begain looking for food, and both times I died before I could find any. Where is the gameplay in that? Who do you think is going to want to play a game who's point is "Spawn, die of hunger. Spawn, die of hunger"? What was the point of this eating/drinking system anyway? Realism? What's realistic about a human having to eat every half an hour or die of starvation?

There was nothing wrong with the mod's hunger/thirst system. The function of hunger and thirst in a survival game is to force players to go about trying to feed themselves.  The mod's hunger/thirst system accomplished this. Overmodeling the system doens't add anything to gameplay except frustration. And hyper-fast hunger doens't accomplish anything but to make it all about finding and eating food. Fuck, pac-man ate less frequently than DayZ characters have to. DayZ was fun when food was something you had to do once in a while, not constantly. And if you were going to make it a constant eating simulator, the least you could have done was make the resources availible to accomplish that. Spawning, then immidiately dying of hunger despite your best efforts is just dumb. Nobody wants to play a game where you're going to die no matter what you do. What on earth made you think anyone would?

So seriously, just give it up. Either go back to a simple system, or slow the hunger/thirst down by like 100 times. Because right now, this game is all about your stomach, and that's destroying what the game should really be about, which is zombie survival, human interaction and adventure. Either that, or re-label the game accordingly.

wkjnkg.jpg

I will start off by saying that picture is great..Good work!

It's all going to go down hill from here though. Food is every where in the game and so is water. I have no problem staying with 3 solid green bars. Once you get those bars lit up solid you don't have to eat as often or drink. You just have to eat or drink every 20 min to half hour...no biggy. Its easy and simple to understand. Your not playing the game right. Or you just dont have the patience. Cause its prob the easiest thing to understand. I never ever strave to death. Ever. Just get those three bars lit, and its easy to maintain after that. You will find to be much easier.

In fact last night I got sick in game....Really really sick. I went from 3 green bars, to being just cold and sick in a matter of 10 minutes. I ate something I should not have just to see what would happen and quickly realised I might have just killed my avatar LOL Were talking bad brown sick bar +plus brown cold...seeing all grey. The people in my group tried to help, but could not...they all thought I was going to die. I thought about striping all my close off and just dieing and coming back to re pick up. But instead I decided to try to survive it. I found a pond and starting drinking water, then ate every thing I had til I was full. I was still grey and my avatar vomited....I then ran to a the nearest village fought zombies and ate everything there. I was able to recover my avatart after 20 minutes after that. I turned certain death sick into 3 green bars in about 30 minutes in the middle of no where. So I really dont want to hear about how hard it is for you to find food as a fresh spawn next to novo or cherno LOL Give me a break

And I walked 20 miles to school when I was a kid too!

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

This is actually a "mimimi can't feed myself plz nerf hunger" topic. Try to focus on getting food, drinks and keeping/getting warm (because being cold drains energy). You want bright green energized, bright green hydrated, healthy and 36.7°C. Then you want to keep it this way. Which is only the focus for the very first phase of the game - then you usually have the tools to deal with your demands. Nothing wrong here unless you want to skip this phase and go straight for the 1337-5n!p!n9 - but then don't dare to speak of survival.

• Like 2