Ham_Sandwich27

Eating and drinking system - Please, just give it up.

My GOD this thread is still going.......Wow....9 freak n pages, all because a guy could not find any food and his avatar kept starving. Prob kept logging in on the same server, that was more then likely persist. Then out of frustration starts this epic fail thread, which started off with some decent advice.... Jeeezzzzz..I'm speechless.

We gave the guy about the best advice hes going to get like 7 or 8 pages ago lol well at least we had a good photo shop picture to kick off this thread.

Edited by CJFlint

My GOD this thread is still going.......Wow....9 freak n pages, all because a guy could not find any food and his avatar kept starving. Prob kept logging in on the same server, that was more then likely persist. Then out of frustration starts this epic fail thread. Jeeezzzzz..I'm speechless.

I've been playing mainly on experimental right now and I've been surviving off of apples and berries while finding the occasional can of food or zucchini and I still haven't been able to get fully energized yet.  That's with about 12 hours of game time.  It's possible survive but we've been spoiled for so long with the easy to find loot system that people are going to start raging even when the devs crank up the difficulty a small notch. 

I've been playing mainly on experimental right now and I've been surviving off of apples and berries while finding the occasional can of food or zucchini and I still haven't been able to get fully energized yet.  That's with about 12 hours of game time.  It's possible survive but we've been spoiled for so long with the easy to find loot system that people are going to start raging even when the devs crank up the difficulty a small notch. 

To hear this doesn't suprise me. I think the devs are tweaking stuff on the reg. What you discribe reminds me of the weather effects hot fix they did right after .49 hit stable. It was just bad lol. The game is heating up thats for sure. If you are geared up and heathly, you got even more of an upper hand on players who are not. Mil loot I noticed is getting more rare. My new policy in regards to DayZ is to only expect so much with realism and every time they make a change to slowly dip my toes back in the game. On my new build I have been playing on the last couple weeks, I have survived on meat. I always have a light green energized bar allot of the time. Now sodas and can food I can get solid. Its harder to stay energized surviving off the land it seems.This is dif since prevous patchs.  

Edited by CJFlint

Can anyone confirm/deny that getting Hydrated+Energized combo has a positive effect on your need to eat? I seem to remember having played for many hours without dropping to hungry or thirsty.

No, i believe it is a "side effect" of the new stomach mechanic i.e. it takes time for food to digest.

So for example if right after spawn, I consume 3 cans of beans, and you 9. We will both get the dark Energized status at the same time (about 12min later), but only you get the green Energized status about 25min later, even if you didn't eat anything during those 25min.(the numbers aren't precise in this example)

Furthermore, you can build a huge Energy reserve, that will last you for a long while. I suspect that most people eat until they get the green Energized, which means that they will still be gaining energy through digestion for a long while... which would take a long while to drop back to hungry.

Edited by Mor

Please have my beans. Good luck opening them. lol.

I do see where the OP is coming from and it does seem too frequent. I guess running across a map in an hour would make someone hungry though. 

Edited by BigB055

Had to stop reading half way through the thread, gets pretty redundant. Considering one of the first topics this alpha ever had on the bug tracker was all about this.

First, eat every piece of fruit you see instantly. Yes it isn't an efficient use of inventory but to leave it on the ground doesn't make sense. Just eat it.

I've respawned 4 times this week. My spawn points were novo, berezino,cherno and electro. Each spawn was on a full server (stable). All four times I hiked it to the southwest part of the map (Pavlovo military base was my goal). I spent little time near where I spawned and just checked random houses along the way. By the time I hit Pavlovo, I had everything I could want minus my rifle of choice and a tent. On top of it, 2/4 times when I got to Pavlovo there was an akm and mag there waiting for me.

Why did I mention this? Cause I want to point out it didn't take any special skills or anything just the common sense to keep moving especially when loot looks scarce at the first spot you check.

There's no way anyone can say it's hard that's not the issue.

I do agree with the op that it's still not properly balanced.

U shouldn't be able to eat a few cans of food, a few pieces of fruit and still be hungry or hungry shortly after.

However to say there is no food within your spawn radius is poppycock.

I have yet to find a server where I don't at least find some form of food within the first 10-15 mins of playing. Water is everywhere.

My only question for the op would be, what server are you playing on? I'd like to try it and see if our experiences match up. Cause like I said I'd find it more difficult to play for 30-45 minutes WITHOUT seeing food.

[...]

This would:

1) Lessen KoS, or at least, give a reason for organized PvP. Now your clan isn't just "fighting to fight", you are "fighting to keep control of your ammunition factory, that brings you in massive profits from trading", or "fighting to defend your farm, that keeps half of Chernarus from clothed and fed", or "fighting to defend your alcohol still, that provides fuel for almost all the vehicles in Chernarus"

You might get something like that with scripted RP sessions on private, but otherwise it seem delusional. Dayz on't have any mechanics that will lend toward such gameplay and your example pretty much cover most of the don't do's in how to stay alive.

Bottom line, there is no deterrent again PvP banditry, they will just re-spawn and come back for vengeance, and making loot droops rare as you suggest, will only make your signs of civilization the more high value and stationary target i.e. why hike to the airfield, when there is friendly fool farmer around the corner... Just post on the forums that you are looking for PvP action at and be done with it.

You might get something like that with scripted RP sessions on private, but otherwise it seem delusional. Dayz on't have any mechanics that will lend toward such gameplay and your example pretty much cover most of the don't do's in how to stay alive.

Bottom line, there is no deterrent again PvP banditry, they will just re-spawn and come back for vengeance, and making loot droops rare as you suggest, will only make your signs of civilization the more high value and stationary target i.e. why hike to the airfield, when there is friendly fool farmer around the corner... Just post on the forums that you are looking for PvP action at and be done with it.

And that, in my opinion, is what is wrong with the current playerbase.

No goals for the future, besides "loot and shoot". I propose adding to the game, letting it develop naturally over time, and I get effectively told that my ideas are "what not to do". 

Would you rather die a meaningless death, or die for "something"? You can have clan PvP battles in Berezino, or you could instead have skirmishes over that ammunition factory that, when you take control of it, you can make TONS of profit off of. What sounds more realistic? What sounds more fun?

Thanks, mate, your opinion was valuable. /sarcasm

@Whyherro123, Sometime its not the wrong tool for the job, its the other way around. If you feel that you are keep dying in meaningless deaths and have problem to find\think of fun things todo, maybe you should wait for the Alpha to over. Otherwise you should try the suggestion thread, its where people tend to share their wet dreams.

How long did it take you to make that picture?

longer than the devs spent to fix the hunger-drinking probably. Which in first place didn't need any fix. Just the spawns of cans and fruits.

Edited by Polyandras

longer than the devs spent to fix the hunger-drinking probably.

You are right, the devs haven't done anything to 'fix it'. They are often tweaking it though, likely to gather certain data or for other development related reasons. That is, and should be their main priority, developing the game.

I don't expect that we'll see a final version (the 'fix') until release or shortly before. It's a matter of tweaking, but you need data to get it right.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 1

Had to stop reading half way through the thread, gets pretty redundant. Considering one of the first topics this alpha ever had on the bug tracker was all about this.

First, eat every piece of fruit you see instantly. Yes it isn't an efficient use of inventory but to leave it on the ground doesn't make sense. Just eat it.

I've respawned 4 times this week. My spawn points were novo, berezino,cherno and electro. Each spawn was on a full server (stable). All four times I hiked it to the southwest part of the map (Pavlovo military base was my goal). I spent little time near where I spawned and just checked random houses along the way. By the time I hit Pavlovo, I had everything I could want minus my rifle of choice and a tent. On top of it, 2/4 times when I got to Pavlovo there was an akm and mag there waiting for me.

Why did I mention this? Cause I want to point out it didn't take any special skills or anything just the common sense to keep moving especially when loot looks scarce at the first spot you check.

There's no way anyone can say it's hard that's not the issue.

I do agree with the op that it's still not properly balanced.

U shouldn't be able to eat a few cans of food, a few pieces of fruit and still be hungry or hungry shortly after.

However to say there is no food within your spawn radius is poppycock.

I have yet to find a server where I don't at least find some form of food within the first 10-15 mins of playing. Water is everywhere.

My only question for the op would be, what server are you playing on? I'd like to try it and see if our experiences match up. Cause like I said I'd find it more difficult to play for 30-45 minutes WITHOUT seeing food.

Well that was on stable branch, in experimental food is more rare I think, the OP is kinda exaggerating a bit but he's still right about it not being properly balanced

You can get stuffed before energized, that's pretty much best proof that the system does not work properly. 

With my last two characters, I fresh spawned and immidiately begain looking for food, and both times I died before I could find any.

A-a-a-a-ahem....

GIT GUD

Seriously though, I have no problem finding food, there's an over abundance. While it is a but ridiculous how fast you die of starvation, keep in mind that the game's time is compressed. Also, if you eat until you are bright green energized, you won't have to eat for a long time. However, if they do extend the time to get hungry, I certainly hope food will be harder to come by. (Which would make hunting an actual, valid tactic.)

que? sorry, my text seems way spaced out for some reason. / :

Edited by Geckofrog7

You can get stuffed before energized, that's pretty much best proof that the system does not work properly. 

Same can happen in real life. If your body is extremely low on energy and you haven't eaten for days (much like our characters spawn) then you can stuff your stomach and still be far from energized. You might be more energized, but still not energized. A malnourished person isn't healthy after one meal, naw mean? That being said, I think hunger/thirst is working well in the current experimental and definitely and upgrade from stable.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 1

Same can happen in real life. If your body is extremely low on energy and you haven't eaten for days (much like our characters spawn) then you can stuff your stomach and still be far from energized. You might be more energized, but still not energized. A malnourished person isn't healthy after one meal, naw mean? That being said, I think hunger/thirst is working well in the current experimental and definitely and upgrade from stable.

Pretty much. "Energized" does not necessarily mean "full", by any means. "Energized" means your metabolic and nutritional needs are being met, while "full" merely means that your hunger is satiated.

Hell, from a certain point of view, this could be why there is an obesity epidemic in the US. Food is cheap, but "good" (energy-rich, healthy, etc) food is expensive, while "cheap" (processed, high in sugar, which doesn't provide long-term energy) food is readily available. Thusly, people eat "cheap" food and get full,  but their metabolic needs don't get met and their metabolism slows down. Thusly, they get fat.

Granted, that is an extreme simplification, but that is the basic gist of what happens in real life, and could be happening in Day Z. A diet of canned beans and spaghetti isn't too healthy, nor will it provide all that much energy.

• Like 1

Ok, so answer me this. Will you go from moderately peckish, to unconcious and dead in the span of a half an hour?

Moderaterly peckish?

Surely the messages may say so, but we don't know how long the character has been without food when he spawns for the first time.

I like to pretend he's been without food for 3-4 days, and that's about -20000 kcal judging by how much you run in DayZ , which would make sense you need so much food, and eat every 30 min.

That would be a good point. 

If it happened only from starving or very hungry. But it can also happen from neutral (no icon) status, which is not possible. 

Hell, from a certain point of view, this could be why there is an obesity epidemic in the US. Food is cheap, but "good" (energy-rich, healthy, etc) food is expensive, while "cheap" (processed, high in sugar, which doesn't provide long-term energy) food is readily available. Thusly, people eat "cheap" food and get full,  but their metabolic needs don't get met and their metabolism slows down. Thusly, they get fat.

Wrong. 

They meet their metabolic need (calorie intake) and than some, the cheap food you mentioned is ridiculously high on calorie, and sugar does a marvellous job at being converted into fat. 

People in US are fat because they eat retarded amount of calories form junk food and sit on their asses. Not to mention that sugar is called empty calories for a good reason. I live in UK and not long ago I saw a ridiculously fat guy at bus station eat 4 snickers bars in 2 minutes flat that's 4 x 450 calories = 1800 some people eat less during entire day. 

It's really simple, you eat more calories than you use = you gain weight. If those calories come from sugars or other simple carbs you will get fat mighty fat. 

Edited by General Zod

If it happened only from starving or very hungry. But it can also happen from neutral (no icon) status, which is not possible. 

Not... really. You can starve to death with a full stomach, especially if you are eating foods that are low in calories, or that require a lot of energy to break down, or if you are burning calories faster than you can take them in (AKA accelerated metabolism, which you get whenever you are stressed, or injured.)

Not... really. You can starve to death with a full stomach, especially if you are eating foods that are low in calories, or that require a lot of energy to break down, or if you are burning calories faster than you can take them in (AKA accelerated metabolism, which you get whenever you are stressed, or injured.)

Do we eat low calorie food in this game ? Canned beans, canned spaghetti, add some meat to that than some vegetables and fruits for vitamins and minerals. Truth is, despite the worlds end we eat pretty well in this game. Hell we eat better than some americans do. 

Edited by General Zod

you realize loot is funky and that is the issue. Maybe read around more before flaming that food system is messed up because your died twice from not finding loot.

Wrong. 

They meet their metabolic need (calorie intake) and than some, the cheap food you mentioned is ridiculously high on calorie, and sugar does a marvellous job at being converted into fat. 

People in US are fat because they eat retarded amount of calories form junk food and sit on their asses. Not to mention that sugar is called empty calories for a good reason. I live in UK and not long ago I saw a ridiculously fat guy at bus station eat 4 snickers bars in 2 minutes flat that's 4 x 450 calories = 1800 some people eat less during entire day. 

It's really simple, you eat more calories than you use = you gain weight. If those calories come from sugars or other simple carbs you will get fat mighty fat. 

And....how is that any different from what I said? Besides being more xenophobic, denigrating, etc. Poor people eat cheap food because it is affordable, and probably because they have literally no other option. Look up "food deserts", it is an actual thing. Most of the urban poor lack access to grocery stores, where they can buy (probably out of their price range) quality produce and such. They also have less time to burn off the calories they intake, working most of the time, and many cannot afford gym memberships. The middle class can, both timewise and moneywise, but 2 hours/day and $10/month make a WORLD of difference to someone making $8/hour.

Do we eat low calorie food in this game ? Canned beans, canned spaghetti, add some meat to that than some vegetables and fruits for vitamins and minerals. Truth is, despite the worlds end we eat pretty well in this game. Hell we eat better than some americans do. 

Canned beans and canned spaghetti aren't exactly healthy, you know. A lot of quick sugars and protein, so you will feel full, but you aren't getting long-term sustenance. Same thing with fruits and vegetables. The sweetness comes from sugars, and they are mainly water (eat a lot of fruit, and see what happens). The only really long-term "healthy" thing we are eating is fresh meat, which would provide lots of calories from the fat.

I resent that last comment,and ask you to stop stereotyping. I am lower-middle class, and I tend to eat pretty damn healthy, thank you very much. 

Edited by Whyherro123

And....how is that any different from what I said? Besides being more xenophobic, denigrating, etc. Poor people eat cheap food because it is affordable, and probably because they have literally no other option. Look up "food deserts", it is an actual thing. Most of the urban poor lack access to grocery stores, where they can buy (probably out of their price range) quality produce and such. They also have less time to burn off the calories they intake, working most of the time, and many cannot afford gym memberships. The middle class can, both timewise and moneywise, but 2 hours/day and $10/month make a WORLD of difference to someone making $8/hour.

Than why is obesity only a problem in developed countries if it's a problem of the poor ? Poor people tend to be rather slim. And how is that xenophobic ? USA has highest obesity figures. Unless stating facts is xenophoby tha so be it. And you don't need gym membership, running is free. They say that : The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. Well the greatest trick mankind ever pulled was convincing the world that you need to pay for running. And don't start with lack of time / 2 hours workout. Unless you're a serious athlete you don't need that much time to work out. 30 minutes to an hour is perfect. 

Canned beans and canned spaghetti aren't exactly healthy, you know. A lot of quick sugars and protein, so you will feel full, but you aren't getting long-term sustenance. Same thing with fruits and vegetables. The sweetness comes from sugars, and they are mainly water (eat a lot of fruit, and see what happens). The only really long-term "healthy" thing we are eating is fresh meat, which would provide lots of calories from the fat.

I resent that last comment,and ask you to stop stereotyping. I am lower-middle class, and I tend to eat pretty damn healthy, thank you very much. 

May not be healthy, and it's not what I said, I said it's calorie rich. which is what you need when spend most of the day on the move. Add protein form meat, and things are looking pretty well. 

Also no beans are not full of sugar, in fact they are pretty good source of good carbs

http://www.heinz.co.uk/Products/Beans/Ranges/Beanz/Heinz-Baked-Beanz

See here 13 g of carbs 5 sugars 7 of other. Not bad. 

Good for you that you eat well. But you live in a country that has obesity figures going through the roof, it's not a stereotype.

Googled obdsity figures in us

This came up 

Adults Age 20 and Older 2
  • More than two-thirds (68.8 percent) of adults are considered to be overweight or obese.
  • More than one-third (35.7 percent) of adults are considered to be obese.
  • More than 1 in 20 (6.3 percent) have extreme obesity.
  • Almost 3 in 4 men (74 percent) are considered to be overweight or obese.

Not a stereotype. A mathematical fact. 

Feel free to resent, hate and disagree, number don't lie. 

Edited by General Zod

Really? Thread title "Eating and drinking system - Please just give it up" is very hard to interpret in any other way.

Anyway you are crying over what is occurring in experimental (I can only assume, because noone with an ounce of experience is going to die from hunger or thirst in stable), and that is indeed experimental for a reason. It is not representing what the game is and what it will be, they tweak numbers to test various things, and sometimes it occasions builds that makes players constantly die from hunger or thirst. That, and the constant client and server crashing, is part of the experimental, if you can't live with it, everyone strongly urges you to go back to stable.

Its not really experience, its really just tge luck of finding an unlooted house (hard on a full server)