vince478

Character restart after log back on Dayz

So...long story i spawned on the beach, knowing where I have to go, doing stuff what any pro would do in Dayz when they spawn. So after 1 hour of playing with some good loot including hoody, mountain backpack, cargo pants but a sh*tty sporter but anyway i look on the map see that I'm near Balota AF but I say to my self good time to take a break.And now here's the bullcrapper I log back on seeing my character on the menu screen but when I go back on the SAME server............my character freshly spwaned on the beach. Now I was a tiny inch away from flipping my house, BUT this has to be dealt with. I don't know if this happens to you but I not playing Dayz for a week and by the time that happens I  wanna see that this has been fixed. If NOT >:( I think I just might as well flip the WHOLE EFFING WORLD. Glad to help? Join me in UK. RULE BRITTANIA!

So...long story i spawned on the beach, knowing where I have to go, doing stuff what any pro would do in Dayz when they spawn. So after 1 hour of playing with some good loot including hoody, mountain backpack, cargo pants but a sh*tty sporter but anyway i look on the map see that I'm near Balota AF but I say to my self good time to take a break.And now here's the bullcrapper I log back on seeing my character on the menu screen but when I go back on the SAME server............my character freshly spwaned on the beach. Now I was a tiny inch away from flipping my house, BUT this has to be dealt with. I don't know if this happens to you but I not playing Dayz for a week and by the time that happens I  wanna see that this has been fixed. If NOT > :( I think I just might as well flip the WHOLE EFFING WORLD. Glad to help? Join me in UK. RULE BRITTANIA!

I would say it probably is your fault, you were killed before you logged out or while you were logging out. Some servers can cause these wipes but you should see a message at the bottom left telling you it can not load you character and in this case you can just leave quickly to retrieve your old character back. A lot of people say that there are character resets randomly but i have never once lost my character to one of these 'random resets' so i have to ask myself what is the real cause of these, is it that some people are just unlucky and have a bug with the game that lots of others do not get or is it that their avatar in game is being killed somehow while they are logging out, i am having so much trouble deciding.

• Like 1

Did you goto your History tab and click on the server ?  or just pick it from the internet tab and think it was the same. because i have logged into almost identicle servers that i thought were the same but would start me with two differant characters.  Like ---->

NJ (2-12) : Persistance off   My character

NJ (2-16) :Persistance off    Fresh spawn on beach

I would check your history tab and try a server from there.

This happens now and again when the server has trouble fetching your data from the Hive.

Log out quick and try again on a different server, not always but often you will redeem your lost char.

• Like 3

I would say it probably is your fault, you were killed before you logged out or while you were logging out. Some servers can cause these wipes but you should see a message at the bottom left telling you it can not load you character and in this case you can just leave quickly to retrieve your old character back. A lot of people say that there are character resets randomly but i have never once lost my character to one of these 'random resets' so i have to ask myself what is the real cause of these, is it that some people are just unlucky and have a bug with the game that lots of others do not get or is it that their avatar in game is being killed somehow while they are logging out, i am having so much trouble deciding.

Well the thing is i didn't die when I logged out and there were only 3 players on the sever. :|

This happens now and again when the server has trouble fetching your data from the Hive.

Log out quick and try again on a different server, not always but often you will redeem your lost char.

Will this be fixed in the future?

Did you goto your History tab and click on the server ?  or just pick it from the internet tab and think it was the same. because i have logged into almost identicle servers that i thought were the same but would start me with two differant characters.  Like ---->

NJ (2-12) : Persistance off   My character

NJ (2-16) :Persistance off    Fresh spawn on beach

I would check your history tab and try a server from there.

That's another thing none of recently played severs are on my hisory tab

That's another thing none of recently played severs are on my hisory tab

I doubt this will work or has anything to do with it , but when ever i had a problem with the Mod starting i would goto steam ,and download the beta files again and it would usually fix the problem.

If ya don't know ---

GOTO STEAM  ---- Then on your Dayz game click properties

Then goto beta and  change it to experimental -- Then after that downloads , Change it back to None Opt out , and see if that does anything, I heard sometimes it might whack a file back in thats missing or not working. Worth a shot.

• Like 1

I doubt this will work or has anything to do with it , but when ever i had a problem with the Mod starting i would goto steam ,and download the beta files again and it would usually fix the problem.

If ya don't know ---

GOTO STEAM  ---- Then on your Dayz game click properties

Then goto beta and  change it to experimental -- Then after that downloads , Change it back to None Opt out , and see if that does anything, I heard sometimes it might whack a file back in thats missing or not working. Worth a shot.

Ok thx :)

Exactly.  You have about 2 minutes to exit that game before the wipe is permanent.  This has happened to me dozens of times and I have never lost everything because I just leave quickly.  I always move to a different server after that anyhow because, well I would expect the same behavior if I tried again on the same server.

Its really not something to fret about.  Even if the server was persistent (thus you really want to get back to that particular one) I suspect the issue resolves itself eventually, probably with the next restart.

Seems like the servers have had problems loading data from the hives. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like this was a bug introduced in .49 because I haven't seen so many people complain about it, and I never experienced it until this patch, and I've experienced it 3 different times. I wasn't able to rejoin a different server to get my data back, either.

Seems like the servers have had problems loading data from the hives. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like this was a bug introduced in .49 because I haven't seen so many people complain about it, and I never experienced it until this patch, and I've experienced it 3 different times. I wasn't able to rejoin a different server to get my data back, either.

That has been happening to me since at least start of 0.48.  But just for clarity's sake, the times you were not able to get you data back how quickly (roughly) did you exit the char-wipe server?  I tend to do it within 10 to 15 seconds of opening my eyes (not sure if the loading time counts here) and do not lose my character.  In other words, if this is the same as your experience then maybe there are two different issues being discussed (even if they have the same symptoms).

That has been happening to me since at least start of 0.48.  But just for clarity's sake, the times you were not able to get you data back how quickly (roughly) did you exit the char-wipe server?  I tend to do it within 10 to 15 seconds of opening my eyes (not sure if the loading time counts here) and do not lose my character.  In other words, if this is the same as your experience then maybe there are two different issues being discussed (even if they have the same symptoms).

One time I tried rejoining the same server as soon as it gave that message, it didn't get my gear. Then I tried joining a different server ASAP after receiving the message, it didn't get my gear. 3rd time I just waiting before joining another server, that didn't help either. 

To clarify, this is the problem when I join a server and it says in red text at the bottom left,  "The server was unable to retrieve your character data so it has been reset" or whatever it is.

One time I tried rejoining the same server as soon as it gave that message, it didn't get my gear. Then I tried joining a different server ASAP after receiving the message, it didn't get my gear. 3rd time I just waiting before joining another server, that didn't help either. 

To clarify, this is the problem when I join a server and it says in red text at the bottom left,  "The server was unable to retrieve your character data so it has been reset" or whatever it is.

I cannot recall either way if I see that message so I'll assume it is not there and your issue is different than mine - possibly related to the latest stable version.

This has happened to me 3 times over the past 4 days. Iv started taking notes of the servers I joined prior to the occurrence. As much as I love dayz, my characters barely lasts long enough to die the proper way.

Be very careful about which server you join, its more dangerous than any group of bandits haha

This has happened to me 3 times over the past 4 days. Iv started taking notes of the servers I joined prior to the occurrence. As much as I love dayz, my characters barely lasts long enough to die the proper way.

Be very careful about which server you join, its more dangerous than any group of bandits haha

Just happened again. Happens every day I play now ffs...

I can't remember the last time someone actually killed me. It sucks. It really does.

This should be the #1 priority bug to be fixed but something tells me they aren't aware of how huge of a problem this is...

It's always a different server that causes it too. I guess all I can do is stick near the coast and don't bother collecting loot. It's a shame. Fun game when it works.

Edited by t1337Dude

Happened yesterday to me on the "Fortune Server" I left the server and switched to another one to meet my friend. The new server I joined I was on the beach. I tried joining the previous server back but it was stuck in "Wait for host"

Edited by Yazar8

Well the thing is i didn't die when I logged out and there were only 3 players on the sever. :|

Yesterday I killed a guy in a military base who was logging out in plane view (probably a server hopper) when there was only me and him on the server.  He probably thought he lost his character to a bug.

I also was hunting 2 guys in a town when there were only 3 guys on the server.  Lost them unfortunately.

If you were spotted, and being hunted by a dude, you might have been killed while you logged off.  Your character lasts for 30 seconds after you press "quit".

If you were running then stopped and instantly logged out, a zombie might have spotted you and killed you while your character logged out.

Always wait about 30 seconds in a pine tree or in a shed or other structure to make sure no Zeds arrive before you log out,  I take this time for a little inventory management.

The other scenario is that the new server you logged on to wasn't connected to the central hive and couldn't load your character, so spawned you as a fresh Bambi.  This can happen if you join it too quickly after the server just restarted and hasn't connected to the hive yet,

It can also occur randomly for no reason, but the majority of the time its due to joining servers who just restarted.

Make sure you wait until a server says 08:03 or 09:03 etc at least.

I lost about 3 characters before I started waiting to join restarted servers, havent lost one in a good while now, although a few of my friends recently lost theirs for no good reason.

They really need to implement a 5 minute block on people joining servers after it restarts.  This should cut down on a good few character wipes.

Well I've experienced a lot of bugs and if they want to fix it... they've got a lot of work to do. I'm kinda happy people are talking about this discussing it I'm really proud and pleased to hear it.And giving very useful information It reminds me that the world is full of honest kind gentle people.So I'm gonna give you all a big thank you to you guys.PEACE ✌✌

Edited by Fox Hunter 2.0

As far as I can see it happens when you try to log onto a server too soon after restart. If you wait until a server is showing 1 or 2 minutes past the hour then it's okay, haven't lost a character since I've started doing this.

Yes and beware I could be superstitious but I'm pretty sure experimental branch wipes characters without telling you that red message more often than stable does ... But yes never try to join the same server after it tells you it's been reset as it usually doesn't give you your character back , but through my experience if it doesn't say that red message you can join the same server and it WILL bring your character back ... So like someone said above there could be two issues :

1) red message telling you the server is having issues connecting to the hive, to fix it it seems you have to join another server to hopefully regain character.

2) the server DOESNT tell you the red message in the bottom left. When this happens my theory is to LOG ONTO THE SAME SERVER as it doesn't have connection issues with the hive , it just for some weird bug reason decided to flag you as a new character..

IMO these are two different character loss scenarios ... Be sure if you get the red message or not because if you DO get the red message and log back ino that same server you're almost guaranteed to delete your character for good , and like others have said DONT move or do anything when you log in and see your character has been wiped otherwise you will keep the new character because the database/server will have enough time to save this new character. We need a guide made if we figure out for real that there is 2 different reasons wiping characters lol .

Does anyone know if either of these character-loss scenarios are addressed in .50? Ever since my last post in this thread I've stopped playing, because I can't justify wasting an hour or two to gear up if I just constantly randomly lose my character before I get to any actual action.

Nice troll. You are one of many on this forum.

He probably logged into a server as it was booting up and it didn't properly pull data from the hive.

**PSA FOR ALL PLAYERS** - Do NOT log into a server when the clock reads 7:00, 13:00, any even number. Wait for a minute to pass (7:01) before joining. This ensures that the server is fully booted up and can retrieve the proper character data from the hive. If you log into a newly booted server too early, there is a chance of your character being reset. I have followed this method for the last 2 weeks and not had one reset.

Nice troll. You are one of many on this forum.

He probably logged into a server as it was booting up and it didn't properly pull data from the hive.

**PSA FOR ALL PLAYERS** - Do NOT log into a server when the clock reads 7:00, 13:00, any even number. Wait for a minute to pass (7:01) before joining. This ensures that the server is fully booted up and can retrieve the proper character data from the hive. If you log into a newly booted server too early, there is a chance of your character being reset. I have followed this method for the last 2 weeks and not had one reset.

I joined servers that were in the middle of the hour that had 35+ players and it still gives me the character reset. I don't think there's any way to really avoid it. 

I bet you already have the answer to your issue by now, but incase you haven't or peoples' responses are not clear. To prevent combat logging in DayZ the Dev Team has made it to where your character never actually despawns from the server you left. for 15-30 seconds. I learned this a few times, when I was about to die by a character RIGHT BY ME I combat logged, and my player was gone. That is because when I logged out, my character was still there and was going to be for 15-30 seconds. So sure enough I got killed and looted after I left. So always make sure you leave a server in a safe spot, not in the middle of Electro or the NEAF. And if you join a non official server, there is also a chance your character could be reset. So when you join a server make sure the name looks atleast halfway desent. For example servers named ( PINEBACK MOUNTAIN, Green Mountain Sancuary, RealismRP, Hosted by gameservers:: Persistence: ON,) are the right servers to join, none of the (high loot, day all the time, BEST SERVER, or JJJclan Free Roaming no PANTS) servers like this are bad news.

Hope I answered your question, Cheers Mate!