Sign in to follow this  
lrp1984

Zombie Play

I reckon in the future, once the player counts per server are a lot higher, a zombie play feature would be good. It spawns you as a zombie in a random location (but ideally spawn near survivors, and perhaps allow you to re-spawn again when no players within x radius), you have no access to voice/text chat, you can't use weapons or tools, and can't open doors (although perhaps in the future will be able to pound your hands against a door until it opens).

However you can run freely, albeit slower than a player, and you can attack as you wish. There would be no noticeable visual difference between you and an AI zombie, however as a person you would react in a very different way to an AI zombie, throwing a lot of the zombie killing tricks out of the window. Your zombie would wipe when you log off. This would make an interesting dynamic and make zombies something to be more fearful of. 

Lord of the Rings online have a monster play feature like this and it works ok, although it's very limited in where you can go in that game. A player zombie should be able to roam anywhere and attack anyone.

Like AI zombies though you would make groan noises as you move around, and perhaps your vision would be similar to a survivor that's been shot, but perhaps with a red tint.

It would never happened freindo... They will never add a feature like this at all ever.. unless someone made a mod or something like that. They want the focus to purely be on being a survivor(human) and what that brings and I believe that's purely what the focus should be on also I think.. I think whats you have alot more hours under your belt you may understand this...

We all played special infected in L4D games so yeah

• Like 1

It would never happened freindo... They will never add a feature like this at all ever.. unless someone made a mod or something like that. They want the focus to purely be on being a survivor(human) and what that brings and I believe that's purely what the focus should be on also I think.. I think whats you have alot more hours under your belt you may understand this...

We all played special infected in L4D games so yeah

What makes you think he does not have many hours invested in the game?

Anyways, it sounds like an amazing idea but in actuality it would be rather boring.

Being a lone zombie would suck terribly. I can't remember the last time a zombie managed to deal major damage, let alone kill me.

Also, zombies are by definition mindless creatures driven by rage and/or instinct. Having them player-controlled would defeat that very existence.

• Like 1

They are infected not zombies... so the definition might not apply.

I like the idea. It would be a fairly short meaningless life, but i can think being an infected might be a nice change of pace every now and then, for the infected and maybe the player you maul.

They are infected not zombies... so the definition might not apply.

They're not reanimated corpses like the traditional Romero zombies, true. But they're still mindless creatures. No sense of self-awareness or self-preservation. They'll run into blades and bullets like it ain't no thang. So pretty much like the rage zombie from 28 Days Later.

What I'd like better is to have dead players reanimated as zombies with their gear on them, after an X amount of time.

What I'd like better is to have dead players reanimated as zombies with their gear on them, after an X amount of time.

DayZ zombies aren't undead. They are just infected people. They're still alive.

DayZ zombies aren't undead. They are just infected people. They're still alive.

Until they meet me.  B) 

• Like 1

why Not Just Be able to Get infected?

That would Be better than Choice to Spawn as a Zombie all Players Play as a Survivor and then things Can Just Go Poorly till You Are Infected

Like the Getting Sick

If a Infected Bites you and it isnt disinfected you Have as Chance to Become infected with Rapid deterioration

Edited by NokyoOkami

why Not Just Be able to Get infected?

That would Be better than CHoicew to Spawn as a Zombie all Players Play as a Survivor and then things Can Just Go Poorly till You Are Infected

Like the Getting Sick

If a Infected Bites you and it isnt disinfected you Have as Chance to Become infected with Rapid deterioration

I heard(Not sure about this) that the virus was most likely airborne, and that the Survivors are those few who were immune to it. I won't base too much of a claim on this, as I haven't found confirmation of it.

If that happened, I'd rather have it give a "You are Dead" image where you carry on. However, it'd leave an infected wearing your gear and carrying the rest on it where you died.

Edited by Askelon

I heard(Not sure about this) that the virus was most likely airborne, and that the Survivors are those few who were immune to it. I won't base too much of a claim on this, as I haven't found confirmation of it.

that Would Make More Sense as to Why We Just Can Cover Bites with rags and Be Fine xD

Though Combating infection Would Be a Cool Dynamic Making Zombies a Semithreatening Enemy, Not for that they always Bite you But when they Do its the Real Battle 

Regardless i Don't think if there is a Way to Play as a Zombie that it Should Be a Menu Choice But rather Poor Survival Skills

This is a Survival Game after all Not Just a PVP Zombie vs Survivor

Would Be interesting if also Perhaps you Get Infected you only Have Limited Time of Play (Maybe a hour or so)  Before your Screen Blacks out and your Zombie Becomes the Mindless AI

Edited by NokyoOkami

What makes you think he does not have many hours invested in the game?

New dayz players with not many posts always have the none subtle ideas that have been done in most other games ^_^

New dayz players with not many posts always have the none subtle ideas that have been done in most other games ^_^

Oh my, what a cretin you are.

I don't agree that your player should turn into this character, nor that any zombie character you play will continue to exist after you log out. If it was possible I would suggest that you spawn into an AI zombie that is already in game and simply take control of it.

The infected are driven by a need to kill anything that is not infected. The fact that you can't wield a weapon or open doors etc will keep the player controlled zombies quite mindless. However I see no issue with a zombie player stalking you and attacking you when you're most vulnerable. This could also lead to a group of players getting together to create a zombie horde to raid a city. This would add to the horror of the game for survivors without the need to code complex zombie AI. This would be quite pointless whilst the server limits are at 40, but if they get into the 100's then it makes sense. There would also need to be a survivor to zombie ratio so a server couldn't have more player controlled zombies than survivors as the player zombies exist to make a more dynamic experience for the survivors.

Oh my, what a cretin you are.

Its a shame that people sitting at a computer dont get the nuances of text they read on the internet.. always someone who gets offended easily... 

I will spell it out for you... ITS NOT AN INSULT. Its just true..I'm really not trying to sound like an arsehole. After playing dayz for a while I think people start to understand and get into the mindset that some things wont work in dayz that work in alot of other games. Shit, the idea isnt bad.. I just dont think its appropriate.. hell do a poll and see who likes it and if I'm wrong I will eat my hat sir. 

The infected are supposed to be more or less brainded as a result of the virus, pretty much only relying on basic instinct. It simply wouldn't make sense to have a peson who is capable of rational thinking controlling one.

Also, you'd have people with their friends playing as zombies and teams of survivors and zombies would make no sense whatsoever.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 1

The infected are supposed to be more or less brainded as a result of the virus, pretty much only relying on basic instinct. It simply wouldn't make sense to have a peson who is capable of rational thinking controlling one.

Also, you'd have people with their friends playing as zombies and teams of survivors and zombies would make no sense whatsoever.

But it could work if it was for like half an hour or something.

I like the idea, Resident Evil 6 was an awful piece of shit but I had a lot of fun playing as zombies/monsters and ruining people's playthroughs.

I think if you're not shot in the head you should come back for half an hour, the "you are dead" screen having a "continue" button or something with a random reanimation timer, should be anything between 60 seconds to like 150 maybe so they don't instantly spring back up making escape impossible.

The explanation could be that once a person is infected they retain brain function for X amount of time and become bloodthirsty so they're who they were but desperate to kill.

Would add an extra element of challenge to the game especially for people on the run with no time to double tap or bash a dead players head in.

The main problem is that zombies are weak as shit and that's not likely to change, unless they can shove people around, grab them and even bite them it'd be hard to do anything significant. Though you may force them to use a bullet and alert other zombies.

Zombies on the whole would have to be more of an opposing force physically.

Currently they're like an MMO character where you just press 1 and they stand there auto-attacking.

I'm not sure the game could be that complex.

Why couldn't I elaborate as good as that.. well said cheif

Well the one thing I can think of as a good thing with something like this would be that it might stop the "zombies are no challenge" stuff. Imagine it like playing against bots on l4d, then going to a vs game....imagine a horde of 50 player controlled zeds that don't just bee line towards you, but work as a group, breaking line of sight, flanking....actually hunting us.  

But I cant see it happening. The server would have to support a lot more players for enough player zeds to make an effective group, and it would still have to keep an ample supply of survivor players to hunt down.

Tis could be so much fun if we could hide in the boot of a car....anyone remember the hatchback from the mod? Let them drive off then give em a proper fright :)

But I cant see it happening. The server would have to support a lot more players for enough player zeds to make an effective group, and it would still have to keep an ample supply of survivor players to hunt down.

Yep. It wouldnt really work. It's de-emphasis on what dayz is about I think. I see them(infected) as a major part of the whole non controlled "PvE". As you also say about more slots but if we get slots to 100 and its stable the idea could be a pinch more of a reality but I highly doubt it.

Someone may attempt it with a mod but thats the only way we would see it.

Edited by liquidcactus