Sign in to follow this  
Airborne28

Standalone to mod? Sell it to me.

So I have about 100 hours on SA. I watched some youtube vids and saw different UI's which i assumed are ARMA ii. So here is the meat and potatoes,

If mod seems more stable and has cars, helos, and better weapons, whats the point of an SA? If ARMA iii has a dayz mod more complete than the SA why not go that route.

So whats the real difference here between all the different mods and the stand alone. Do the mods still have large communities? Is hacking as big a problem in mod as it is in SA?

Sell it to me. I have 0 interest in playing army so no need to sell me the arma game pure

• Like 1

Is hacking as big a problem in mod as it is in SA?

Hacking in SA, is non-existant  in comparison to the mod.

They can spawn Aircraft carriers, bombs, tanks, Anything in the game files.

They can also take control of your client, and Nuke servers.

As for the A3 " Versions " Of dayz, I can't say anything, I tried breaking point early on, but it was buggy as hell, and form what I've heard, still is.

So I have about 100 hours on SA. I watched some youtube vids and saw different UI's which i assumed are ARMA ii. So here is the meat and potatoes,

If mod seems more stable and has cars, helos, and better weapons, whats the point of an SA? If ARMA iii has a dayz mod more complete than the SA why not go that route.

So whats the real difference here between all the different mods and the stand alone. Do the mods still have large communities? Is hacking as big a problem in mod as it is in SA?

Sell it to me. I have 0 interest in playing army so no need to sell me the arma game pure

Preach is right, he makes some good points :)

On top of that, if you have no interest in Arma, what so ever, dont even think about buying it for the mod tbh.

The mod is far more military then the SA, basicly its Arma with zombies and food/water.

It would be a waste of money to buy Arma, for nothing but DayZ mod imho.

Its worth buying 100% and 1000% when on steam sale imo, owning both I still enjoy the mod far more and only have a few hours clocked up on SA even though I got it at release. They continue to update the mod and tbh its (1.8.1-1.8.2) faaaaar more of a zombie survival game than SA atm. SA isnt really 'out' yet its alpha, the mod is complete and gets improved still I recommend you try its only £16.

Its worth buying 100% and 1000% when on steam sale imo, owning both I still enjoy the mod far more and only have a few hours clocked up on SA even though I got it at release. They continue to update the mod and tbh its (1.8.1-1.8.2) faaaaar more of a zombie survival game than SA atm. SA isnt really 'out' yet its alpha, the mod is complete and gets improved still I recommend you try its only £16.

We talking arma ii or iii mod? Yeah SA has beenin in dev for a while. I am begining to doubt that it will ever come out.

Now im not looking for COD game with zombies. But it would be cool to use a bike, some different guns and maybe find a carmonce in a while that works. SA just seems to be a running sim or hacking teacher.

I love the mod started playing vanilla dayz yes there still some servers that are actually vanilla. as the above person said it is still arma but still I put more time in the mod not because its more complete than SA they both have things I like more. and as for haxxors I personally havn't seen one in SA since February and havn't seen one in the mod except once in my 2 years or so of playing. there still is a community though a lot of the mods are dead but theres still namalsk,epoch,overpoch etc. some are more military ridiculous than others. give it a shot if you wanna try it though you will have to buy arma 2 its 24.99 for what you need to play dayz. if you get it hope you have fun I know I have hell i'll end up playing it today I'm sure.

We talking arma ii or iii mod? Yeah SA has beenin in dev for a while. I am begining to doubt that it will ever come out.

Now im not looking for COD game with zombies. But it would be cool to use a bike, some different guns and maybe find a carmonce in a while that works. SA just seems to be a running sim or hacking teacher.

COD with zombies lol yeah there are a few version that are kinds like that like epoch or overpoch.but if you find a vanilla dayz server its really good,there are vehicles and bikes and heli's but you still end up running and walking(you have to find and fix the vehicles)once you get a car you then have to keep gas in it and worry about hiding the damn thing so it might show some folks what your in for when SA adds vehicles though I assume in SA it going to be a lot harder/stressfull which I'm all for.

Hacking in SA, is non-existant  in comparison to the mod.

They can spawn Aircraft carriers, bombs, tanks, Anything in the game files.

They can also take control of your client, and Nuke servers.

As for the A3 " Versions " Of dayz, I can't say anything, I tried breaking point early on, but it was buggy as hell, and form what I've heard, still is.

That is why you play on servers which require a whitelist (something SA does not offer at the moment).

I promise you, you will get a positive experience on most of them.

Regarding the game itself, the mod has more features than SA. Not vanilla though, but hardly anyone plays vanilla anyway.

• Like 1

Arma2 mod is 'the' mod,some call it vanilla mod, its a real zombie game, although they nerfed them slightly in 1.8.2, in .1 it was amazing you really were better off without a gun and staying quiet and loot was hard to find, a crossbow and enough gear to cook and drink was rewarding, a fire fight with other players in a town was near impossible due to swarms of overpowered zombies, an empty server is still fun and a challenge. A car in the mod is a massive hassle to find, fix, run and then maintain a heli is harder again, if you like the standalone alpha and want a glimpse into what it'll be like try the mod.

Sold yet?

• Like 1

I started off playing SA and racked up around 200 hours play time before i heard about the arma 2 mod, after a while researching i purchased it and played that without thinking of SA, much more indepth, base building etc, not i have moved to arma 3 epoch, played it for 15-20 hours currently, has ai, guns and equipment to find, cars, boats, helis and submarines. Much better than SA in my opinion, give them ago, arma 3 is much more costly though but i definitely recommend the arma 2 epoch mod.

• Like 1

I just bought and ran Epoch and its not too bad, inventory is a nightmare though, the only notable thing that has over SA is amount of zombies and yes these are zombies unlike SA. For $25 it costed me its ok i suppose

Mod Rocks....id say buy it.

Pros for mod

Vehicles

Decent zombie numbers

Most things work well

Tonnes of other maps to keep you entertained when bored of Chernarus

Cons

Much more open to hacking (can be stpped by joining a whitelist server)

Mods of mods of mods....be sure to find a true vanilla server if you want something like the SA

Glitches that will probs never go away....NEVER DRIVE AN ATV OVER ANY BRIDGE LOL

I still go to the mod atm, SA just isn't a ZOMBIE game yet. The survival elements already surpass the mods system....but the mods system still works well. Id recommend vanilla dayz, the other mods seem too over the top. The vehicles are a big selling point, fully repairable with a range of parts that can also be individually damaged.

One other thing to remember is that although you would be buying for dayz.....Arma 2 is one hell of a game. The editor will let you create pretty much anything you can dream up. Road race from cherno to NWA with ya friends....no probs. Meatgrinder 200 vs 200 in Eloctro with tanks and jets.....you got it. I think BI realised the potential of the editor with what was done during the A2 years, hence why A3 promotes things other than mill missions.

To sum up, a big thumbs up for the mod even though SA is catching up quick, and in some places already overtaking :D

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 1

I adore DayZ. And I did my time roaming around the landscape on foot so I turned to Epoch as I could build a base home and use vehicles. I configured my server to be as close to DayZ as possible and advertised...it was pretty much ignored by the DayZmod crowd. What works there is guns, tanks, jets, traders(wtf?), deploy bike(omg, wtf?) and almost anything else which makes PvP more prevalent whilst diluting the survival aspects of DayZ.

So ask yourself; do you like zombie survival? (DayZsa). Or do you want to shoot things from inside a tank whilst laughing like an infant? (DayZmod).

Edited by Cartoonrboy

My pc is broken, so I haven't been able to play for months but when I did - and hopefully will again once I get my pc fixed - I loved the standalone.  As to the hacking, well I've played since about May 2012 and played every single day for anything from an hour to 12 hours (before pc broke) but I never saw any hacking apart from twice someone spawned in behind me and shot me.

Also, it's a peaceful game to play on your own, You arrive on the beach, find an axe, and work your way up the coast just blissfully killing zombies.  Lovely!  Much easier than all the blood types, types of meds, searching for scopes etc that seem so much more complicated to me than just hacking at zombies.  :thumbsup:

Don't get arma 3 for breaking point it's totally not worth it. The zombies aren't even a threat they ignore you 90% of the time and the gameplay just feels so, I can't explain it. It's just way too fast paced and awkward compared to arma 2 mod, and mostly focuses on PVP. If you want a true dayz experience, then play the arma 2 vanilla dayz mod. Epoch is much more PVP focused as well but is pretty fun at first.

Edited by Borges
  • Like 1

That is why you play on servers which require a whitelist (something SA does not offer at the moment).

I promise you, you will get a positive experience on most of them.

Regarding the game itself, the mod has more features than SA. Not vanilla though, but hardly anyone plays vanilla anyway.

There are still a couple of vanilla servers that are doing well, and they are the ultimate test of your survival skills with the latest patch. I attempted a hike up to NW airfield on my lonesome last time I played, and to a guy like me that is an 'average' player, it was truly gruelling. Heavy zed activity in every town makes finding a well and some cans of food a real test of nerve. I got close to NW airfield, but spotted a motorbike and in an error of judgement blew my cover just to hop on and see if it was working. a couple of minutes later cornered by a herd of zeds, who smacked me to death like a bitch for being so stupid, I like the way SA is coming along, but its a walk in the park compared to surviving the latest vanilla servers!

• Like 1

There are still a couple of vanilla servers that are doing well, and they are the ultimate test of your survival skills with the latest patch. I attempted a hike up to NW airfield on my lonesome last time I played, and to a guy like me that is an 'average' player, it was truly gruelling. Heavy zed activity in every town makes finding a well and some cans of food a real test of nerve. I got close to NW airfield, but spotted a motorbike and in an error of judgement blew my cover just to hop on and see if it was working. a couple of minutes later cornered by a herd of zeds, who smacked me to death like a bitch for being so stupid, I like the way SA is coming along, but its a walk in the park atm compared to surviving the latest vanilla mod servers!

The standalone just isn't ready yet to take seriously in my opinion. I always find myself wanting to play a life then it just becomes boring because I always hit a dead end. It's more of a social chat room at the moment.

Dayz mod is a complete experience.

Edited by Borges
  • Like 1

I've not tried the stand alone DayZ yet myself, but I did grab up Arma 2 for like 7.99 I think or basically 8 bucks on Steams Halloween sale for the sole purpose of trying the mod because like you I am not really into military first person shooters. That being said however I will say I do not regret spending my 8 bucks. It was an 8 bucks well spent. Now here are the problems I have ran into personally. I have found for me connecting to servers takes more time then I care to deal with. One server with Dallas in the name of it for Vanilla DayZ I was banned not even having been logged in it for 5 minutes. I barely took 2 steps before that happened. The others I manage to connect to seem fine just trying to find a way to increase my latency for a better connection. About 90% of the servers I see have bad lantency and are unconnectable to me. The other 10% is a challenge. More of a hit and miss sorta thing. I am playing version 1.8.2 even though there is a 1.8.3 out I am not sure what I need or where I should even go to download that. The links I found I am not sure how much of the crap I need just to play so waiting for either Steam or DayZ launcher to upodate and then just download it threw them. That being said I am not seeing that many servers out for it anyway. Actually I not seen any at all. Also now this is one thing I like which alot of players may not, but I like it for the learning value is there is a single player mod you can get at this link which if your new totally it is good to have so your not logging on to servers and being a complete and total noob.

http://kodabar-dayz-daizy-single-player-forum.1084782.n5.nabble.com/RELEASE-DayZ-X-1-8-0-3-Update-0-1-17-02-2014-td3034.html

I found this mod very helpful being a new player trying to learn the game on my own. Now my reason for going with the mod first before the SA was simly this logic. The SA was created based off the popularity and success of this mod. I wanted to see what the orginal was like first so I could know what to expect from the SA as it developes along. Downside to the mod version of DayZ is this one fact to me. Compared to the SA which I understand is about ball park of 6 gigs of hard drive space. The Arma2 DayZ plus the DayZ mod along with all the other mods from the DayZ launcher is I think probably going to be about 40 to 50 gigs of hard drive space. This is a guess as I have not finished downloading them all yet myself, but if your like me you will download all of the ones offered in the launcher simply because you will want the ability to join any servers you see listed without being told you do not have the files to join them. That being said if you don't mind the headaches and the use of disk space then you should be good to go.

You do and will get that mmo world feel when playing the game. That's one of the things that has impressed me and as I said I also am not into military first person shooters, but Arma  2 has won me over for the sole fact the maps in this game compared to any other FPS I played are without a doubt the largest I personally have ever seen. You have vehicles and all kinds of stuff in the game. Really all it lacks on DayZ side is a mission system sorta like what you would see in a game like State of Decay, but not everyone wants or desires that aspect. It is solely player based which I do love that aspect about it. So whatever direction you take is and will be solely made up of your own will and choosing. There is no game direction other then what your pixel feet take you towards. I say try it. At times it's a pain the behind, but honestly well worth 8 bucks and your time devoted to it. Just know the game does have it's issues like any other game and I'd imagine it'd be easier to find and get connected to SA servers then mod ones at this time. Atleast for me anyway. Grab it up when it's on sale if you do. Hope my assement helps you out some. Hope you enjoy it if you play it. Best of luck to ya mate. :)

Edited by KOOLLAYD
  • Like 1

Arma 2 and the mod has got soul! The feeling when you run with your char. The sounds. Everything!

I started playing SA and couldn't understand why I got bored with it. I had been looking forward so much to it. 

Took a break for a month or so and came back, then it struck me, I really missed DayZ mod. The chills it gave me and the overall atmosphere and the feeling in the game.

(I actually ended up starting my own vanilla DayZ mod server when coming to that conclusion)

Also the fps and the flow of the game was a game breaker for me. Not that the mod is greatly optimized cause it isn't but SA is far worse.

Don't get me wrong, SA is gonna be awesome when it's done. It's just not there yet.

But that's just me coming from the mod.

Cheers.

Edited by vinyljunkie
  • Like 2

Can mod the mod, can't mod the Standalone.... meaning (with the mod) more customization, more options, more or less hardcore/PvP/PvE/etc depending on what you're looking for... can match up with a mod-server that fits your playstyle. :thumbsup: B) :beans: (There are mods to DayZ that have player-earned experience, skills, base-building, more crafting, unique player skins, and other helpful game-mechanics such as humanity-system, etc.)

Mod has more content and more stability... since (as I added below) the beta-phase won't be happening for another year, who knows how long it'll even be before there's decent content and/or stability in the Standalone.

PS - Also helped that until either the end of today or tomorrow, Arma 2 Complete Collection on Steam is on sale for $19.99, while even Combined Operations (Arma 2 and Op Arrowhead, base reqs for DayZ) is on sale for $12.49 -- decent savings compared to DayZ Standalone that actually went up in price at the start of the sale, to only end up saving consumers a quarter ($0.25) by being marked down to $29.74.

PPS - From what I've been reading/seeing the Standalone won't even go into beta-phase until very late (November/December maybe?) of 2015... with the final release not slated until "sometime" in 2016... which could be December of 2016 for all anybody knows, with still the launch bugs/glitches probably carrying in to 2017 (by then there'll probably be so many other zombie games like H1Z1, Survive the Nights, Miscreated, and whatever else comes along that it'll be more like, "Standalone?  What's that!?")... and along the way the Standalone is supposed to go up to $44 (or more) come beta-phase... the fact the entirety of Arma 2 is cheaper already than the Standalone kind of defeats the pros of cost ironically.

(For the record, not trying to sell the military side... granted there's whatever other Arma2-based mods that might be available or come along to consider... but being former military, don't exactly need military-games to relive the experience...)

Edited by ZombieTechnix

@KOOLLAYD - After reading your post, if you haven't already looked into it, I'd suggest checking out "DayZ Commander".  I've only been playing the mod for a couple days now (although I do a ton of research on most games I play), but DayZ Commander has the ability to not only get the latest up-to-date DayZ Mod version, but also the version of somewhere in the ballpark of 15-20 other variation mods of DayZ as well.  From there can use it to browse servers, provide search-criteria, indicate what options you'd like the server to have, and then when you find the server you want, it does all the game launching and attributes for you... so once in you mostly just have to click "okay" a lot.  Also by default, it sorts servers based on ping/latency to make sure the ones that you'll work quickest/smoothest on are right at the top of the list. ^_^

PS - I've been finding that when you try to get onto a server and get dropped off of it with the message that says certain files were deleted... it's actually because it's trying to utilize resources from other mods.  Like for instance, if you're looking to play "Epoch", and go on an "OverPoch" server, it tends to boot you because "OverPoch" is actually a combo of "Overwatch+Epoch", etc.  It takes awhile, but once I had DayZ Commander, I went ahead and just downloaded every mod it had listed, so I had all bases covered.

I've not tried the stand alone DayZ yet myself, but I did grab up Arma 2 for like 7.99 I think or basically 8 bucks on Steams Halloween sale for the sole purpose of trying the mod because like you I am not really into military first person shooters. That being said however I will say I do not regret spending my 8 bucks. It was an 8 bucks well spent. Now here are the problems I have ran into personally. I have found for me connecting to servers takes more time then I care to deal with. One server with Dallas in the name of it for Vanilla DayZ I was banned not even having been logged in it for 5 minutes. I barely took 2 steps before that happened. The others I manage to connect to seem fine just trying to find a way to increase my latency for a better connection. About 90% of the servers I see have bad lantency and are unconnectable to me. The other 10% is a challenge. More of a hit and miss sorta thing. I am playing version 1.8.2 even though there is a 1.8.3 out I am not sure what I need or where I should even go to download that. The links I found I am not sure how much of the crap I need just to play so waiting for either Steam or DayZ launcher to upodate and then just download it threw them. That being said I am not seeing that many servers out for it anyway. Actually I not seen any at all. Also now this is one thing I like which alot of players may not, but I like it for the learning value is there is a single player mod you can get at this link which if your new totally it is good to have so your not logging on to servers and being a complete and total noob.

http://kodabar-dayz-daizy-single-player-forum.1084782.n5.nabble.com/RELEASE-DayZ-X-1-8-0-3-Update-0-1-17-02-2014-td3034.html

I found this mod very helpful being a new player trying to learn the game on my own. Now my reason for going with the mod first before the SA was simly this logic. The SA was created based off the popularity and success of this mod. I wanted to see what the orginal was like first so I could know what to expect from the SA as it developes along. Downside to the mod version of DayZ is this one fact to me. Compared to the SA which I understand is about ball park of 6 gigs of hard drive space. The Arma2 DayZ plus the DayZ mod along with all the other mods from the DayZ launcher is I think probably going to be about 40 to 50 gigs of hard drive space. This is a guess as I have not finished downloading them all yet myself, but if your like me you will download all of the ones offered in the launcher simply because you will want the ability to join any servers you see listed without being told you do not have the files to join them. That being said if you don't mind the headaches and the use of disk space then you should be good to go.

You do and will get that mmo world feel when playing the game. That's one of the things that has impressed me and as I said I also am not into military first person shooters, but Arma  2 has won me over for the sole fact the maps in this game compared to any other FPS I played are without a doubt the largest I personally have ever seen. You have vehicles and all kinds of stuff in the game. Really all it lacks on DayZ side is a mission system sorta like what you would see in a game like State of Decay, but not everyone wants or desires that aspect. It is solely player based which I do love that aspect about it. So whatever direction you take is and will be solely made up of your own will and choosing. There is no game direction other then what your pixel feet take you towards. I say try it. At times it's a pain the behind, but honestly well worth 8 bucks and your time devoted to it. Just know the game does have it's issues like any other game and I'd imagine it'd be easier to find and get connected to SA servers then mod ones at this time. Atleast for me anyway. Grab it up when it's on sale if you do. Hope my assement helps you out some. Hope you enjoy it if you play it. Best of luck to ya mate.

Edited by ZombieTechnix