Sign in to follow this  
thatdearguy

Couple questions.

Hi there. I'm not exactly a greenhorn, but I haven't played DayZ since the mod days. I was hoping to ask a couple of question.

1. I thought running all-out would have become more taxing by now, but I'm not sure if it has. I still feel too much like an olympic runner and far less of an average joe. Simply put: If I walk instead of run, will I be able to cover more distance before I die of starvation / hypothermia? I did notice running seems to make me warmer, but that might come at an increased digestion rate or something. I'm not sure. Do you think running should be penalized more?

2. I've had my new mike running for a few days, but I'm not entire sure how well it's calibrated. There was one instance where I got the impression a guy standing on a crane couldn't hear me (until he jumped off and died - weird morning that was). Aside from talking to another player, what other ways might I be able to calibrate my mike? Any software or tricks? The mike came without any.

3. What is the physical difference between stable and experimental branch? I assumed up until now that DayZ Mod is experimental and Standalone stable, but I'm not entirely sure. I wouldn't mind being part of experimental to help things along a bit.

4. Why do some servers seem to be permanently stuck in a 'waiting for host' loop? Server configuration issues? I assume that, if I had my firewall setup wrongly, ALL servers would become unavailable, not just 10-20% of them.

5. FPS in cities seems to have already been discussed to a great extend, so I'm probably not bringing anything new to the debate there, but I couldn't help but notice my GPU (Gainward 780) is severly UNDER performing whilest in cities. What else is left? The textures are big, but surely no bigger than in forests what with all the foilage. So memory is out. Is this some bizarre CPU issue then? Does the Arma 3 engine handle this sort of landscape better?

Thanks for bearing with me. dancing-bear1.gif

• Like 1

6. Why do the Russians get special rules here? ;)

(ignore)

Edited by thatdearguy

1. Running/Walking doesn't affect hunger.  I'm not 100% sure that running affects temperature, but I did see in a devblog that they had implemented it, but not clear if it was on experimental or stable servers or still in development.

2. On the bottom right on your windows desktop you should see a small speaker icon next to the date/time.  Right click that and select "Recording Devices".  There are options in there to tweak your mic.  Once you have set it up, I test it by launching Sound Recorder (Start Button> All Programs>Accessories>Sound Recorder) and recording some audio and play it back to see what it sounds like.

3. Both Exp and Stable are DayZ Standalone.  There is no access to the mod in this game.  Experimental (0.50) is usually 1 patch ahead of the stable version (0.49).  The devs use experimental to test out new things before they get rolled out to the stable servers.  Google a guide on how to play the Experimental as you cannot join them without activating Beta-Content in Steam and downloading the patch.

4. Servers are buggy at the moment and restarting and crashing as random times.  Some servers get stuck when restarting, so althoguh it looks like players are on the server, its actually crashed and you get the "Waiting for host" for a long time and nothing happens.

5. DayZ SA is a very processor heavy game and not so much GPU.  Im sure this will change once the game is optimised.  There are guides everywhere to get an extra few FPS out of your system.  There are lots of options you can turn off which take up a lot of processing power which you dont really need.

• Like 1

Thank you very much, that helps me a lot.

I already tried recording a sample, but I still wasn't sure if that's how people were hearing me in the game. I guess there's little other way to be sure aside from asking somebody.

You use more then twice as much energy moving, and almost four times as much water when moving. The game doesnt care between walk and sprint, theres still and moving.

• Like 1

5. DayZ SA is a very processor heavy game and not so much GPU.  Im sure this will change once the game is optimised.  

I really doubt this. You can't really optimise a game built in this engine not to take so much CPU resources. Both Arma 2 and Arma 3 are very CPU heavy

I really doubt this. You can't really optimise a game built in this engine not to take so much CPU resources. Both Arma 2 and Arma 3 are very CPU heavy

I'm sure your correct, but with optimisation, they should be able to direct some of the processing traffic to the GPU.  

You use more then twice as much energy moving, and almost four times as much water when moving. The game doesnt care between walk and sprint, theres still and moving.

So, move as fast as possible as long as possible, all the time? No shocker that hasn't been improved upon, players want to run. I hope that will be reconsidered once the vehicles are back. I also had a feeling how much I was carrying had an adverse effect on how quickly my character started making those panting sounds. But that was maybe because I was running already, I can't be sure now. Either way, I couldn't tell if that was affecting my water / energy levels.

Edited by thatdearguy

That's why they're slowly changing out parts of the old engine and replacing it with the new engine.

That's why they're slowly changing out parts of the old engine and replacing it with the new engine.

It really doesn't work that way

So, move as fast as possible as long as possible, all the time? No shocker that hasn't been improved upon, players want to run. I hope that will be reconsidered once the vehicles are back. I also had a feeling how much I was carrying had an adverse effect on how quickly my character started making those panting sounds. But that was maybe because I was running already, I can't be sure now. Either way, I couldn't tell if that was affecting my water / energy levels.

I don't believe weight has any effect currently on speed or hunger/thirst. The only thing carrying more effects is damage you receive. More stuff in the item being hit = more damage.