harteman

People causing server crashes

Why are you doing it?  What do you get out of it?  Seriously, it has been hard as hell to get a decent game in lately because of this.  Are you so easily entertained?

• Like 1

What makes you think people are causing them?

Because it is a known reproducible bug in the game right now that [snipsnipsnip].

It is lame as hell.

[snipsnipsnipsnip]

Basically, people have been the cause of some recent untimely server restarts.

Maybe one of them will come in here and tell us why he does what he does.  I'm interested in hearing it.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 1

The issue you're describing should be patched in the next game update. 

I'll remove the link from your post just to be sure (ninja'd by Max)  ;)

Edited by Accolyte
  • Like 2

Don't tell people how to crash a server please, you are just making the problem worse.

EDIT: It turns out Accolyte is some sort of ninja. At least when it comes to typing, the ancient ninja skill.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 1

This bug/exploit or whatever you want to call it is absolutely annoying to us server owners.

Is there a possibility to hotfix the current Stable branch with the solution rather than waiting until the end of the month or longer?

A pipe dream I know, but I thought I would at least ask.  ;)

Don't tell people how to crash a server please, you are just making the problem worse.

EDIT: It turns out Accolyte is some sort of ninja. At least when it comes to typing, the ancient ninja skill.

If you had been me playing this game for the last few days, trust me, the problem could not possibly be worse than it is right now...  Not trying to be rude, but in 

American servers, fully populated ones, during evening hours, the servers go down non-stop.

As far as publicizing it, my bad.

Sorry, I feel aggravated right now.  Time for medication.

Yeah had this tonight. It seems to be a epidemic levels, We got it on multiple (european) servers and in the end we all just stopped played.

As for what they get out of it. They are mentally ill.

I don't know if it's just bad  luck on my part, but I haven't been able to get in more than 30-45 minutes lately till a restart. I join another server and maybe get the same. Loot farming aside (I don't see the big deal, it's fun to do with a group of friends and it's also fun to attack those doing it) we need respawning loot so sysops don't feel the need to jam restart every hour.

Sorry, I feel aggravated right now.  Time for medication.

And what would that be ? 

The issue you're describing should be patched in the next game update. 

I'll remove the link from your post just to be sure (ninja'd by Max)  ;)

Isn't it worth a hotfix? As it could be quite a wait for the next update.

The server crashes make it borderline unplayable right now.

Wow, the last patch had the stick crashing server glitch and the very next patch has a new way to crash the whole server?  Thats ridiculous.    Can we please stop getting updates?  Im fine with zero patches for two years until the game is done.   The game has not changed much in 10 months, its fun to play but not much different.    Give patches only once every 8 months or more and people will like it better.

Wow, the last patch had the stick crashing server glitch and the very next patch has a new way to crash the whole server? Thats ridiculous. Can we please stop getting updates? Im fine with zero patches for two years until the game is done. The game has not changed much in 10 months, its fun to play but not much different. Give patches only once every 8 months or more and people will like it better.

Nope nope nope. The reason many people still play this game even though it is not finished is that there is something new every month. Personally I would get bored to just killing other players for 8 months. And you said how people would like it better if they would get updates every 8 months. That is simply not true. People are complaining about slow developing even with this updatecycle.

• Like 1

Why do you care ?

Let them crash the servers heck encourage it the more they tweak and break the game the easier it will be for people to find out what is wrong and fix it.

Why do you care ?

Let them crash the servers heck encourage it the more they tweak and break the game the easier it will be for people to find out what is wrong and fix it.

Maybe I do care, maybe I don't.  Maybe I have ulterior motives here, maybe I don't.

And to the man who asked, sweet, sweet bud.

Why do you care ?

Well maybe because actually PLAYING in this state isnt all too enjoyable.

On a sidenote: I also just noticed that balcony railings are still made of chewinggum instead of metal, and that hitting "space" will somehow move my character around. This bug is ancient.

Edited by Khanarac

Nope nope nope. The reason many people still play this game even though it is not finished is that there is something new every month. Personally I would get bored to just killing other players for 8 months. And you said how people would like it better if they would get updates every 8 months. That is simply not true. People are complaining about slow developing even with this updatecycle.

Yes, Yes, Yes. The so called updates that you speak so highly of that you claim is why people play the game have nothing to do with the fun of playing DayZ. Who cares about new guns? The only update that was good was adding pathing that fixed part of the broken zombies. But besides that, every update added nothing no benefits to the real problems of DayZ.

As every update comes, they waist their time and resources to give us the latest gun or other boring items instead of just spending a solid 6 months of fixing only the core and then giving us a meaningful update.

What is good about updates except the update that helped zombies to recognize "some" walls?

I had a feeling there was a new way for a player to crash the server...that's a real bummer.

Another admin and myself yesterday witnessed a specific player return back to the server upon the random restarts we experienced yesterday over and over. We have persistence turned off at the moment and what we believe was being done was a restart to find a specific loot item. The server was roughly half full the first time we were on and got the "No message received". Server comes back up, myself and the other admin log back in and about 7 minutes later, another "No Message received" again. We log back in and Another restart within 5 mins. Logged back in and, 5 mins. later another restart! AGH!!!! >:(  

I assume the player found what they were looking for as the server then stayed up for about an hour 1/2 with that player staying on the server the entire time, but sadly it crashed when it hit 40 players so we manually restarted it.......again. 

In my mind's eye, I take this game for what it is.....its an Alpha and its not finished. Let the dev's work stuff out and as long as we continue to play and provide feedback it can only get better based on that.