Sign in to follow this  
d.walker43

realistic ideas for blood loss, damage, etc.

Hi guys, so I have an idea that would vastly improve the realism of the game. I think that health/blood loss should be based off of where damage is inflicted, and how much. This might sound confusing, allow me to explain.

Right now, every weapon has a set amount of damage it does to players/zombies/animals, and that number depends on if you are hit in a limb, chest, or head. Your blood decreases at a steady rate, no matter how many times you have been hit/shot. This is how it works currently, and certain elements of this are great but others need some consideration.

If you are a hunter in real life, you will understand this well. I'll try to explain it good for the non-hunters but please bear with me. The amount of damage/health loss should be based on if the shot/hit hits any important organs. For example, if I shoot a player in the chest but its low and is more of a gut shot, then it wont inflict as much damage. However, if I take out a lung or heart or other important organ, the damage should be increased signifigantly. Also, I think blood loss should be based on amount of times hit, and location of hit and weapon used. Example, if I hit a player in the leg 1 time, it will bleed at something around the current rate, maybe a little slower. However, if I shoot a player 2 times in the chest and 1 time in the ass, they will bleed signifigantly faster because there are more "drain holes". Also, how far a bullet or melee wound penetrates should be based on power of weapon and location. If I shoot a player right in the shoulder bone with a .22, it will hurt and possibly wound the arm but would not penetrate all the way through. But, if I shoot a player right through the lungs with a Mosin, it should penetrate the entire body easily, making for 2 drain holes and not just 1. This should also be based upon how much body it has to go through, if im shooting at a downward angle say it would be harder for it to penetrate, as it has more body to go through.

My other idea that is a little different is tracking. I think that anything that is shot, whether that be person zombie or animal, should leave a blood trail if they are bleeding. Also should leave footsteps too, but im going to focus more on the blood. This sort of ties into what I was saying about the amount of blood loss and location and all of that. This would influence the amount of blood being left on the ground. If I barely winged a person or animal, they would leave a very faint or small blood trail. However, if I hit them in a key organ or I hit them multiple times, It should leave a very easy to track and large blood trail. Obviously, if I got a decent hit on the animal or person they would not run far, and would probably be found on the ground not far fro where they were shot. But, if I winged them or it was a gut shot or something, they could probably run a lot farther or possibly survive completely. This would make the game far more realistic.

As I said, this may be complicated for some, but others may understand easily. I personally am a deer hunter, so this is almost common sense for me but I understand for others this may be pretty complicated stuff. I tried to explain as well as I could, if I need to clear something up please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

Edited by d.walker43
  • Like 1

Hi guys, so I have an idea that would vastly improve the realism of the game. I think that health/blood loss should be based off of where damage is inflicted, and how much. This might sound confusing, allow me to explain.

Right now, every weapon has a set amount of damage it does to players/zombies/animals, and that number depends on if you are hit in a limb, chest, or head. Your blood decreases at a steady rate, no matter how many times you have been hit/shot. This is how it works currently, and certain elements of this are great but others need some consideration.

If you are a hunter in real life, you will understand this well. I'll try to explain it good for the non-hunters but please bear with me. The amount of damage/health loss should be based on if the shot/hit hits any important organs. For example, if I shoot a player in the chest but its low and is more of a gut shot, then it wont inflict as much damage. However, if I take out a lung or heart or other important organ, the damage should be increased signifigantly. Also, I think blood loss should be based on amount of times hit, and location of hit and weapon used. Example, if I hit a player in the leg 1 time, it will bleed at something around the current rate, maybe a little slower. However, if I shoot a player 2 times in the chest and 1 time in the ass, they will bleed signifigantly faster because there are more "drain holes". Also, how far a bullet or melee wound penetrates should be based on power of weapon and location. If I shoot a player right in the shoulder bone with a .22, it will hurt and possibly wound the arm but would not penetrate all the way through. But, if I shoot a player right through the lungs with a Mosin, it should penetrate the entire body easily, making for 2 drain holes and not just 1. This should also be based upon how much body it has to go through, if im shooting at a downward angle say it would be harder for it to penetrate, as it has more body to go through.

My other idea that is a little different is tracking. I think that anything that is shot, whether that be person zombie or animal, should leave a blood trail if they are bleeding. Also should leave footsteps too, but im going to focus more on the blood. This sort of ties into what I was saying about the amount of blood loss and location and all of that. This would influence the amount of blood being left on the ground. If I barely winged a person or animal, they would leave a very faint or small blood trail. However, if I hit them in a key organ or I hit them multiple times, It should leave a very easy to track and large blood trail. Obviously, if I got a decent hit on the animal or person they would not run far, and would probably be found on the ground not far fro where they were shot. But, if I winged them or it was a gut shot or something, they could probably run a lot farther or possibly survive completely. This would make the game far more realistic.

As I said, this may be complicated for some, but others may understand easily. I personally am a deer hunter, so this is almost common sense for me but I understand for others this may be pretty complicated stuff. I tried to explain as well as I could, if I need to clear something up please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

wait for beta state bra

wait for beta state bra

How did this help the thread in any way? Please keep posts relevant and actually have a point to them. thank you.

How did this help the thread in any way? Please keep posts relevant and actually have a point to them. thank you.

is not that hard, it is probably going to be implemented , but not know, they are adding more simple stuff , this kind of mechanic could be added on the beta state of further on the alfa , but for now nope , good idea thou , it has been seen before btw

Similar ideas have been suggested, and Rocket (Dean) has discussed "blood trails" and the like. Also, I'm fairly certain the more "drain holes" you have in game already effect how much blood you lose, and how quickly you're going to die. Just another suggestion, the amount of wounds you have on you should take a few more rags (With a max of say 3 to keep it balanced a little), considering if I have a shot in my leg, arm, and stomach, one rag just wont cut it.

Similar ideas have been suggested, and Rocket (Dean) has discussed "blood trails" and the like. Also, I'm fairly certain the more "drain holes" you have in game already effect how much blood you lose, and how quickly you're going to die. Just another suggestion, the amount of wounds you have on you should take a few more rags (With a max of say 3 to keep it balanced a little), considering if I have a shot in my leg, arm, and stomach, one rag just wont cut it.

Good to hear they are discussing it. However, I don't know about the drain hole thing. It might seem like you die faster if you have multiple drain holes, but are you sure its not you just being hit more and more? and you die of shock damage or whatever instead of blood loss? I never heard confirmation of that, if you have a source you could post a link to that would be great. Also, like the idea of multiple rags/bandages too. would help cut down on people having an endless supply.

Good to hear they are discussing it. However, I don't know about the drain hole thing. It might seem like you die faster if you have multiple drain holes, but are you sure its not you just being hit more and more? and you die of shock damage or whatever instead of blood loss? I never heard confirmation of that, if you have a source you could post a link to that would be great. Also, like the idea of multiple rags/bandages too. would help cut down on people having an endless supply.

I don't have an official source for this information, just personal experience. I'll try getting a friend to test it a couple times, and I'll try my best to record it, but my computer isn't the greatest, so I don't know if I'll be able to.

Right now, every weapon has a set amount of damage it does to players/zombies/animals, and that number depends on if you are hit in a limb, chest, or head. Your blood decreases at a steady rate, no matter how many times you have been hit/shot.

Are you sure about this? Because if my information is correct you will get increased blood loss as you can stack the "bleeding" debuff. And the number seems to depend on the weapon/ammo used.

Otherwise I like your ideas and I do not think its really that hard to understand either. The problem is implementation as you want the system to work like it would in real life (which takes way more resources tthan the current simple version) and still got quite good performance. Also you might want to avoid crazy interactions and side effects. Here the question is how detailed this should be.

Now this could be done by "nested hitboxes" where bullets travel a certain distance inside the tissue and deal damage to blood and health according to this. Depending on the hitbox hit and the damage done to it there might be additional effects like broken bones etc. The same model might also allow for bullet penetration through walls, clothes and bodies. Would be preferable to a system where you magically take more damage when attacked from behind.

Hunting is a good example why this system would work better as right now you don't need to aim at specific body parts to take down your prey, shots won't affect the amount/quality of meat and animals are so stupid they don't flee when they see you or even when you are shooting at them. So right now you can just fire in the general direction of an animal and fire away until you get lucky. Thats not how huinting should work.

wait for beta state bra

Don't! Its important to bring up and discuss conecpts early as it helps to get a good model that avoids many "mistakes by design". The current damage system is odd and needs revision anyways so why not change it towards the suggested model?

Are you sure about this? Because if my information is correct you will get increased blood loss as you can stack the "bleeding" debuff. And the number seems to depend on the weapon/ammo used.

Otherwise I like your ideas and I do not think its really that hard to understand either. The problem is implementation as you want the system to work like it would in real life (which takes way more resources tthan the current simple version) and still got quite good performance. Also you might want to avoid crazy interactions and side effects. Here the question is how detailed this should be.

Now this could be done by "nested hitboxes" where bullets travel a certain distance inside the tissue and deal damage to blood and health according to this. Depending on the hitbox hit and the damage done to it there might be additional effects like broken bones etc. The same model might also allow for bullet penetration through walls, clothes and bodies. Would be preferable to a system where you magically take more damage when attacked from behind.

Hunting is a good example why this system would work better as right now you don't need to aim at specific body parts to take down your prey, shots won't affect the amount/quality of meat and animals are so stupid they don't flee when they see you or even when you are shooting at them. So right now you can just fire in the general direction of an animal and fire away until you get lucky. Thats not how huinting should work.

Don't! Its important to bring up and discuss conecpts early as it helps to get a good model that avoids many "mistakes by design". The current damage system is odd and needs revision anyways so why not change it towards the suggested model?

vehicles, or new damage sistem.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i want my bike first bro , then ill worry about how my penis hurt when i got hit there

Whatever they go with the healing bleeding instantly with a simple rag needs to go.

At the same time zombie punches and melee attacks should not cause bleeding while gunshot and stab bleeding needs to be extremely dangerous and urgent.