Sign in to follow this  
SniperwolfMR

1st person dying breed

What in the hell has happened to the hardcore community? I'm trying to play some DayZ at 8 PM on a Friday night and the best 1st person only server I can get is 10/40. I remember back when the ZaP servers were the hot thing (which was about 2 months ago) you couldn't get into them without attempting to join for at least 5 minutes. 

Why is no one playing hardcore anymore? Have the COD kids officially taken over? 

• Like 3

I've recently come back from a brief hiatus myself and have noticed the same thing - glad it's not just me I suppose? This is actually my first post, have been trying to find a few like-minded individuals to play with but as I stick to "hardcore" exclusively I haven't seen any recruitment posts thus far that have jumped out at me.

• Like 1

What in the hell has happened to the hardcore community? I'm trying to play some DayZ at 8 PM on a Friday night and the best 1st person only server I can get is 10/40. I remember back when the ZaP servers were the hot thing (which was about 2 months ago) you couldn't get into them without attempting to join for at least 5 minutes. 

Why is no one playing hardcore anymore? Have the COD kids officially taken over? 

It doesn't sound like the COD kids have taken over considering COD is first person only, and you're complaining about a lack of population.

• Like 4

lel @ "COD kids"

COD has no 3rd person

ARMA has always had 3rd person

• Like 8

I've noticed this too. Just one week ago, there were 3-4 full or near-full 1st-person servers. Now, there is one full server at best, or even none with the most populated being 10/40 people.

I don't want to play on the see through walls / around corners servers.. Bleh.

• Like 1

Yeah I noticed it too, I only play on Hardcore, but even I went on a 3rd person server last night because everything was empty. Completely different experience.

• Like 1

I've noticed those 10/40 servers jump to 20 pretty quick when I join. Then it fills up more, hovering at around 30+ when it gets rolling. I suspect there are quite a few hardcore players who are looking for a fuller server who start joining as it fills up. Take the jump and help fill it up instead of trying to get in the 39/40 server.

• Like 3

I don't want to play on the see through walls / around corners servers.. Bleh.

You do know that got fixed right? You can't wall glitch any more.

I only ever play on first person servers (unless testing). I had no problems finding one but I noticed they either had few players on them or are close to being full.

I think if there were no first person servers to join I would rather not play - because PvP is a big part of DayZ and PvP with third person enabled is just terribad. I believe in most games designed for first person and/or immersion/authenticity providing a third person option is a mistake. Same for games that actually aim for tactical & exciting combat. Peeking destroys all this.

ZAP has always been a good 1st person server, I hope it never dies out.

lel @ "COD kids"

COD has no 3rd person

Indeed. You actually have to find the the names of even more primitve games to make a proper comparison with 3PP servers. COD is simply too advanced for that.

And yeah, ARMA does unfortunately have its Operation Flashpoint remnants sticking to it, for no good reason other than "that's how it's always been". The 3PP is definitely not a proud moment of the history of that game.

Edited by BadAsh
  • Like 4

It doesn't sound like the COD kids have taken over considering COD is first person only, and you're complaining about a lack of population.

lel @ "COD kids"

COD has no 3rd person

ARMA has always had 3rd person

You think I'm not aware that COD is in first person? I'm saying that COD kids like 3rd person in this game particularly because its EASIER. Easier to kill, easier to find loot, easier to spot people, more entertaining to see your character. Little kids need quick and fast entertainment, they search for the easiest route. I'm going to assume you guys are all about that 3rd person stuff, right? 

Edited by SniperwolfMR
  • Like 1

Perhaps most players are on the Experimental servers....

Exp only encourages 3PP, on account of there being almost no 1PP servers there at all.

• Like 1

Exp only encourages 3PP, on account of there being almost no 1PP servers there at all.

Indeed, what you say is true and I have not logged into the experimental servers lately, but I have noticed that when a new patch is put into experimental the stable servers take a bit of a hit..

As a new experimental patch hits I would guess most people would want to try it to see the effect and changes because as its moved to stable it would effect 1st and 3rd pops  on stable..

my 2 cents anyhoot :)

Cheers!

TuT

You should stop bashing CoD because thats a game that - as written above - does not have this design flaw. Also having a game where it is easier to shoot others doesn't make it easier - because all the other also have it easier to shoot you. This means the focus of skill gets shifted and thats about it.

Same for DayZ third person: It is not easier to play because you are not the only one peeking. Maybe its even harder (its for sure harder if you decide to play in 1st person) - it just impacts gameplay in a very negative way and reduces tactical options (as well as design/balance options like vision obscuring helmets etc.).

Perhaps most players are on the Experimental servers....

That was actually my impression in this regard. Another reason might be the unfortunate naming we had until a few patches ago. Calling third person servers "regular" and first person servers "hardcore" does (1) give the impression that third person is "the true way of playing the game" and (2) cause new players to avoid "hardcore" servers because they are afraid of a harder gameplay - which turns out to be a self-fullfilling prophesy if they get used to third person and then join first person servers - being used to third person gameplay and not being used to actual tactics,

• Like 2

Its the opposite OP......all the cod kids have left because they realised dayz will become a survival game not another FPS ;)

You do know that got fixed right? You can't wall glitch any more.

Not wall glitching, but peeking around corners using 3rd person view. 

You think I'm not aware that COD is in first person? I'm saying that COD kids like 3rd person in this game particularly because its EASIER. Easier to kill, easier to find loot, easier to spot people, more entertaining to see your character. Little kids need quick and fast entertainment, they search for the easiest route. I'm going to assume you guys are all about that 3rd person stuff, right? 

doesn't really make it easier if everyone can do it, now does it? 

such a vocal minority. must suck.

• Like 2

Indeed. You actually have to find the the names of even more primitve games to make a proper comparison with 3PP servers. COD is simply too advanced for that.

And yeah, ARMA does unfortunately have its Operation Flashpoint remnants sticking to it, for no good reason other than "that's how it's always been". The 3PP is definitely not a proud moment of the history of that game.

3pp had a place in arma , it was for the easiest difficulty levels to give new players a chance to learn the game. It allowed much easier control of units beneath your command. This was ok for single player or groups playing AI missions. It made sense as OFP /arma had quite a learning curve for those who had just played standard shooters.

The game was never really intended for mass online PvP just look how terrible the netcode is/was ,more for missions to simulate fireteam operations.

But now we have moved on and it has become a serious PvP game(both arma and dayz) and thats where the legacy of 3pp falls down as it removes many of the realistic tactics of a fire fight and replaces it with well more gamey techniques to gain victory. Some like it that way i dont but each to there own i guess.

I just keeping playing first person and hope many others will to , it only dies if we let it die.

• Like 5

doesn't really make it easier if everyone can do it, now does it? 

such a vocal minority. must suck.

To be fair, it's hard to 3PP camera someone when you're, say, running across a field and they're hiding behind a wall.

• Like 2

Well im 30 years old myself and find 3rd person to be a much better playing experience than first person. So what if you can see your character? Ppl should be allowed to play on whatever server however the hell they want.

• Like 2

Well I'm certainly not keen on having a restricted FOV whilst having to deal with silent sometimes invisible zombies all while struggling to find anything useful on persistence enabled servers to not starve or freeze to death, the game is hard enough now it stops being remotely fun when you have to double tap alt constantly just to make sure nothings just about to smack you when any normal person would have heard and seen that zombie sprint right up to you from that angle.

First person is just annoying as it is it's neither hardcore nor realistic it's just a chore. Of course it's not any less realistic than third person but it's nice being able to avoid zombies somewhat since they chase you like forever, are a bitch to hit half the time and spawn in backup.

I wonder if any game will be able to make first person properly imitate the real FOV? Are we really going to have to wait for complete virtual reality?

If it's enabled in the server you're on there is no value to not using third person, people are going to use it against you why give them an edge over you.

• Like 2