JackyCTV

0.50 has it come too soon?

0.50 has hit experimental and what that says to me is that the game is nearly 50% complete...

but based on how the game is at the moment, can we all honestly look at DayZ and think it is half way through its development?

now I am not slating the game at all, in fact, I love this game but I just dont feel we are half way there yet...

Does anyone else agree? or do you think the development is fine?

As I have heard it, 0.50 here is the demarcation for the halfway point towards reaching Beta, lets not forget we are currently in Alpha.. there is a lot more development still to go

0.50 has hit experimental and what that says to me is that the game is nearly 50% complete...

but based on how the game is at the moment, can we all honestly look at DayZ and think it is half way through its development?

now I am not slating the game at all, in fact, I love this game but I just dont feel we are half way there yet...

Does anyone else agree? or do you think the development is fine?

haha you wish... 0.50 does not mean its 50% done. :P

it's just a number. Like 23 or 42 or even 7

• Like 1

This doesn't mean its 50% complete, there is no way for the devs to calculate game completion at 1.0. Plus if they were reaching 1.0 and thought its no quite there, they might just start making up patches in between, like Patch 0.922 - 0.923..
I'm sure they will keep progressing well and who knows it might end up even better than we thought by 1.0.

If you think about it, the DayZ Sa at its release lacked so much content. It was like 2 big rifles (mosin and m4) and one sidearm. Ttsko pants and jackets were the only military clothes that you could get. Much less melee weapons, clothes, foods, towns and many bugs. There where no Zeds when DayZ Sa launched. You could combat log and duplicate items. It is much better now and I dont think that 0.50 indicates anything other than what patch it is.

• Like 3

.5 Only comes after .49999999999999999 and has no relationship to how done the game is. The game is developing at a blistering pace. 

• Like 2

Is about half way through "Alpha".. which is just adding all the basic stuff. But isn't 50% of the game.. even in beta and after release they will still be adding stuff to it..so if i have to guess.. maybe 25-30% complete ? Hard to know really, only the Devs will know and they wont give us that information.

Edited by Cpanther

As already said, 0.50 does not mean they've completed 50% of the game.

And anyway...I've seen much more hyped games released on the shelves (yes, released as fully fledged products) with less content and playtesting than the current, experimental build of DayZ. I remember for example the closed "beta" of Wharammer: Age of Reckoning, and its launch: it was, even at launch, a product utterly unplayable. We have a playable alpha which is actually playable and enjoyable...even if it's still not the final product. Let's not start with the doom and gloom please.

I for one have been surprised by the speed of development lately and I am happy I hope they keep it up though I don't mind if it takes years either as long as its done well and done with pride. and I assume even when its released there is going to be content to fit everyone's taste added by folks that mod like new maps and spawning with an M4(chuckles).so the game has a long road ahead I think but that road will be fun and surprises hell I've been playin the mod for so damn long and I still find new things to learn unlike most other games.

• Like 2

If you think about it, the DayZ Sa at its release lacked so much content. It was like 2 big rifles (mosin and m4) and one sidearm. Ttsko pants and jackets were the only military clothes that you could get. Much less melee weapons, clothes, foods, towns and many bugs. There where no Zeds when DayZ Sa launched. You could combat log and duplicate items. It is much better now and I dont think that 0.50 indicates anything other than what patch it is.

Unfortunately you can still dupe items.... >:(

This.

When I first started playing in early January, it was pretty much everyone in ttsko/ checkered shirts or hoodies with m4, mosin or axe. there was little clothing or weapons and nothing to do beside get killed by bugs, shot at and explore. The patches were spread out and no status updates as to what was going on in development. Things have been great as far as all of that goes this summer. They've really picked up the speed and are making some great progress.

• Like 3

Hicks has said himself that .50 is just a number and has no relation to the actual finish line as such.

Check out the interview M1ndr did on YouTube, it's at about 5mins he makes this statement.

• Like 1

I think that's mostly a misconception of how the versioning numbers work. 0.50 does not mean we are halfway to 1.0. It just means we have put out 50 major builds since the beginning of our versioning. The release of EA was 0.28 so we are 22 public iterations since early access. - Hicks

How is this pointless thread not deleted or locked but any thread about new hacks we have seen since the great wipe are hunted down like a rabid Gestapo agent?

Yep unfortunately that number has no real relevance to development progress, as someone else said the would just extend the decimal for internal builds....hit 1.49, ok lets do build 1.491 and so on. As for speed of development, lets take a look at what they have done since alpha came out...and il miss things here for sure...

Hunting

Cooking

Crafting

X amount of new towns

New Navmesh

Loads of new content in item form, cloths, weapons, tools whatever

Temp system

Fishing

Persistence

In fact the list of things we are waiting for is getting shorter and shorter...

Vehicles

Barricading

Engine upgrades

More zombies

Once 3 of those are in what will the mod have that SA doesn't?

Now look at what they have done in less than a year, and whats left to do. Development is going fine and they have plenty....and I mean plenty of time to get everything they promised in before full release :) 

• Like 2

Yep unfortunately that number has no real relevance to development progress, as someone else said the would just extend the decimal for internal builds....hit 1.49, ok lets do build 1.491 and so on. As for speed of development, lets take a look at what they have done since alpha came out...and il miss things here for sure...

Hunting

Cooking

Crafting

X amount of new towns

New Navmesh

Temp system

Fishing

Persistence

Vehicles

Barricading

Engine upgrades

More zombies

Now look at what they have done in less than a year, and whats left to do. Development is going fine and they have plenty....and I mean plenty of time to get everything they promised in before full release :)

That's not even counting the back-end stuff like security enhancements, the more robust server/client interaction, vastly superior UI, network bubble and other things. Not to mention when features like barricading and vehicles actually are released they're going to be infinitely better than in the mods. I've said it before and I'll say it again: people vastly over-estimate the mod and look back at it through rose-tinted glasses all of the time. It had major issues and limitations same as the standalone. 

Edited by Count_Blackula

Unfortunately you can still dupe items.... > :(

Forget this. After I logged back in the "duped" items were no longer in my inv - I think it was just lag.

Hunting

Cooking

Crafting

X amount of new towns

New Navmesh

Temp system

Fishing

Persistence

Vehicles

Barricading

Engine upgrades

More zombies

out of all of those you listed what have they really changed about the game ? not much.

Hunting (not really needed can just get normal food)

Cooking (not really needed can just get normal food)

Crafting (just thing of moment not needed )

X amount of new towns (just alot of samey buildings reused with a couple of new ones)

New Navmesh ( i am looking forward to this hopefully it does work !)

Loads of new content in item form, cloths, weapons, tools whatever (many hats unneeded and other clothing content gives artists something to do)

Temp system ( not really needed more annoying than anything )

Fishing ( i guess it kind of works but most people will just get normal food )

Persistence

only things that will really change this game much is the addition of barricading and vehicles. also good zombie path finding and navmesh.

just remember the mod has most of all that has been done for one year plus.

i look forward to us entering beta though.

when we look at standalone the real issues that wasnt solved with the mod still havent been solved with SA.

zombie pathfinding

vehicles

basebuilding

fps performance issues

zombies hitting through walls

so all this time the main issues are still not addressed.

Edited by dgeesio

Cpanther, on 03 Oct 2014 - 04:23 AM, said:

Is about half way through "Alpha".. which is just adding all the basic stuff. But isn't 50% of the game.. even in beta and after release they will still be adding stuff to it..so if i have to guess.. maybe 25-30% complete ? Hard to know really, only the Devs will know and they wont give us that information.

Ouch 30% done on a game that is has been how long in development and has already been handed 90% of the money it is likely to receive to build the game? Not saying they have blown through all the money they received during the huge initial gush when alpha was released but if this, to me at least, does not bode well for this game making it to full production release.