Sign in to follow this  
Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

Persistence Enabled vs Persistence Disabled [OPTING IN/OUT]

Just wanted to share my experience as I've seen posts from both sides of the fence regarding frequency of loot in 0.49. If I'm repeating information, I apologize in advance.

I've read many posts from the community asking about the lack of loot. I also see a lot of replies from the community saying loot is everywhere.

I was one of those that was wondering where all the loot was...

My experience is this: I co-rent/master-admin a server from gameservers with persistence enabled and I can tell you that there is very little loot when you OPT IN to persistence. We've done approx 10 trips around the map, most notably all the military installations on the west side and not a single military weapon or gear in sight. Low-rise barracks, jails, hangars, quonset huts, tent city are completely empty of anything noteworthy. You'll find the occasional pair of boots, mountain backpack, books etc but zero high value weapons/ammo/gear.

At one point we tried another server or two [that had persistence ON] and ran into the same issues.

The other day, I OPTED OUT of persistence and not only did gameservers respond to my ticket in all of about 3 minutes [usually its 17-24 hours] but also loot was back to normal with out any restarting of the server. It was like bam, loot everywhere.

So for those of you that can't find loot anywhere, try another server and look for something in the description that says persistence disabled. Hope this helps!

• Like 4

The problem is that when persistence is enabled re spawn is also enabled. Therefor if no one is looting the two towns south of the airfield no loot will spawn on the airfield.

The system is not completely finished yet, but part of the point is that you cant just 'run to the airfield' and expect tons of  military gear. 

When loot economy comes into full effect there will be similar shortages between most official servers. One of the reasons I will prefer to find a private shard with persistence turned on. Hopefully then, and when people are starving and freezing, people will not only hit cherno, elecktro, and the airfield and actually use more of the map.

• Like 1

I've noticed that a lot of the loot I come across is worthless, as well as in damaged or badly damaged condition. My latest character spawned in Cherno and I'm working my way to the barracks north of Veresnik. So far I've found a lonely Mosin and 20 rounds. This is after looting every building I could in Cherno, some apartments and the jail to the north, and I'm just now getting to Nadezhdino. Persistence On server.

Persistence servers are also buggy as hell, too. They crash so often it's not even funny. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I noticed that pretty much every FL server run by "gameservers" with persistence turned on has either nothing or just junk loot.  Now I just avoid trying to loot up upon any server with persistence enabled at all.

Hopefully the devs are learning from this.  I talked about the problems that inevitably arrive when you have fixed item caps, and offered some better alternatives in this post:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/212146-managing-scarcity/?hl=%2Bmanaging+%2Bscarcity

In order for an in-game economy to be healthy, you need to have continuous new supply of new items.  Scarcity needs to be managed through item degradation rather than item caps, so that the trophy collectors and hoarders can do their thing without destroying the economy.

There's me thinking it was common knowledge.

No point in having persistence turned on if there's loot everywhere, the server would then be bogged down and laggy as hell due to all the loot that is there when server starts then loot starts respawning because people are picking up said loot.

There's me thinking it was common knowledge.

No point in having persistence turned on if there's loot everywhere, the server would then be bogged down and laggy as hell due to all the loot that is there when server starts then loot starts respawning because people are picking up said loot.

Who said anything about there needing to be loot everywhere?  If items degrade in a sensible way, it makes it possible to find loot in a police station if you buy the game 2 years after release, instead of finding out that the only items that drop in police stations anymore are soda cans and books.

Who said anything about there needing to be loot everywhere?  If items degrade in a sensible way, it makes it possible to find loot in a police station if you buy the game 2 years after release, instead of finding out that the only items that drop in police stations anymore are soda cans and books.

I didn't say there needs to be loot everywhere, but on servers with it disabled there is loot everywhere. With it turned on loot is less because it'll respawn as it's picked up.

I'm not sure what buying the game after 2 years of it's release has anything to do with it. I'd bet my bottom dollar that the game you are testing right now won't be the same as the one they release.

Also, I have no problem finding something other than a book and a soda can in a Police station.

I think you are just looking the wrong places. When I decide what buildings to check I think "would anyone bother check this building ever?" If the answer to that question is no, then sure enough there are plenty of loot inside! I have found a mosin with all 5 attachments and full military outfit on persistence server but not inside a jail building or a barrack. I find them in remote locations and in buildings not visited by others.

I know that there are less loot than there used to be but this is not a big problem, it is more of a fun challenge. lets hope they don't fix this "problem" I like it!

• Like 1

I think the big problem is that fact that there is so much crap loot. After hitting six big tows I found 2 weapons, maybe five bullet boxes, one medi bag, and about a million books, shoes, hats, chem lights and crowbars. There was food but when it came to other supplies there was nothing.

I just when back to a per off  server and just in the first house I went into I actually found something good. Loot system has to change cause right now it just makes no sense for loot to appear only after you or someone else entered the building and then leave and remain close by long enough to make a difference.

When I hit a town I hit the first house and keep going until the end of the town and then move to another town, I don’t double back. So if I enter the town and going from house to house finding crap and then come upon the prison and all I find are books and maybe a map if I’m lucky, then there is just something wrong with the way it is. Right now I’m staying per off and praying they change how loot respawn is done.

Edited by igottapi4

I think you are just looking the wrong places. When I decide what buildings to check I think "would anyone bother check this building ever?" If the answer to that question is no, then sure enough there are plenty of loot inside! I have found a mosin with all 5 attachments and full military outfit on persistence server but not inside a jail building or a barrack. I find them in remote locations and in buildings not visited by others.

Lets be honest this is a no brainier, anyone can load up DayZ loot map and find a bunch, however, it does mean that the current system will cause us to waste more time running around to remote locations and scavenging to achieve the same thing as before.

When loot economy comes into full effect there will be similar shortages between most official servers. One of the reasons I will prefer to find a private shard with persistence turned on.

Hmm...the ability to teleport to a private stash while the rest are suffering from shortages. Edited by Mor

I am fine with loot being more scarce than in the past but the current system is bunkers.  The military outpost and AFs should be a clearing defined region strictly segregated from surrounding regions.  No one is going to spend hours loot nearby cities in the hopes they can game they system into spawning loot at a military output.  Hell by that logic these towns should be spawning military loot, after all they are apparently impacting such areas.  

Yes it's "alpha" and they are "working" upon it but clearly the current system needs a lot more work.

dropped my backpack, akm, vest, pants and top in a persistent server on saturday. seemed to crash it until today - finally got back to find just my backpack there. just something i wanted to confirm for myself. 

Im renting server from fragnet.net, and in disabled hive the loot not only come back after 4-5 hours, but it come back 4-5 times more.

In enabled hive, the loot also come back, but only in the same amount and 12 hours interval. So my server is only running on persistence disabled, and me and my friend can pick up a couple of ak 74u, ak101, mags etc. etc in every military barracs every time the server spawns new loots.