UltimateGentleman

Poisoning water supplies

Would this be too much? Should wells always be a source of fresh clean water?

I don't think so, given that the rest of the game is so harsh why leave them safe?

I think it should be possible to poison them with something, those blue berries, some kind of poisonous herb like nightshade, maybe even part of a zombie.

It'd be a great thing to be able to do, being hunted by a group of dudes, head to a town with a well, poison it and hide.

They're going to have to leave to find some charcoal pills or they'll be delayed while taking them and getting healthy again. It could save your life in many situations.

Or could be used to ruin the lives of other people...

However.

Were this an added feature I think the poison should only work for an hour or so, just so it's not possible for all water sources to be poisoned constantly because people definitely would go round doing that all the time.

no i think its a bad idea. there will be kiddies that will poison every well on every server,,,

Hence the limit on how long a well remains poisoned. It should only work on wells, though.

One would expect purification tablets to have a use at some point, and we have ability to boil water with the fire.. So, Why not make it a chance that some wells are dry, and ponds have a, I don't know 75% chance of being contaminated.

Seems illogical to not flesh out existing systems, instead of adding new ones, with one use.. Trolling..

no i think its a bad idea. there will be kiddies that will poison every well on every server,,,

Unless you would make getting poison a nontrivial task. Something like getting resources (chemicals, fruits, mushrooms), extracting and concentrating the poison before it ready to use.

Poisons you get this way should have multiple uses:

• poison water supplies (as the OP wrote this should only stick for a limited time)
  • poison food and drinks (for bad samaritans and people who are getting robbed)
  • poison arrows, bolts and melee weapons (lets fight dirty)
  • consume

Now not all poisons should be lethal on their own - there might be different effects:

• paralysis
  • energy/water drain
  • blood/tissue damage
  • weakening/vomiting
  • body tempertaure rise/drop
  • hallucinations/vision impaiment
  • pain
  • impaired movement

So survivors who come into contact with poisons should have a chance to survive depending on dose and help available.

• Like 2

This has been confirmed as something that WILL be added in.  All surface water should be purified before consumption anyway (while most animals do not piss and shit in their drinking water directly, they do piss and shit nearby, and of course after a heavy rain that washes into the water source), and the team has mentioned the possibility to contaminate water sources deliberately, weather it's taking a dump in the lake when you have cholera, or tossing a dead body into the lake

Unless you would make getting poison a nontrivial task. Something like getting resources (chemicals, fruits, mushrooms), extracting and concentrating the poison before it ready to use.

Poisons you get this way should have multiple uses:

• poison water supplies (as the OP wrote this should only stick for a limited time)
  • poison food and drinks (for bad samaritans and people who are getting robbed)
  • poison arrows, bolts and melee weapons (lets fight dirty)
  • consume

Now not all poisons should be lethal on their own - there might be different effects:

• paralysis
  • energy/water drain
  • blood/tissue damage
  • weakening/vomiting
  • body tempertaure rise/drop
  • hallucinations/vision impaiment
  • pain
  • impaired movement

So survivors who come into contact with poisons should have a chance to survive depending on dose and help available.

Yeah lethal poisons should be a chore to make and in water supplies as said only work for an hour or so. Along with them could come some advanced medicine making, just so it's not a random thing to murder people with, healings powders and whatnot.

Or itching powders so people can't shoot you effectively.

Paralysis would be great, it's much more fun to take from people and keep them alive especially if it was someone following you.

With that perhaps you could even have a trap set up so some paralyzing chemical drops on someone if they trigger a trip wire. To balance it plants with ingredients like that should be either rare or in dangerous areas like near airfields.

It'd also be great for base building, you could set up in a fairly innocent looking house, nobody is gonna go there first they'll hit the well then loot the area. Incognito base defence.

I would make any container "poisonable" but with the wells I would let it be a natural poisoning only. Usually there is so much water in there, that a small ammount of poison would do nothing.

Too much IMO. It would be too similar to adding a random chance of you just falling over and dying from "unknown causes".

I assume so (not poison specifically but disease) once the system is implemented. I'd love to be able to drag dead bodies into ponds to make people sick if they aren't boiling/purifying their water.

Q: So is there going to be an issue with contaminated water?

A: Well you don't have to boil it, but it might cause you serious problems like Cholera etc if you don't. My brother was saying it could provide some really interesting research output in terms of reacting to a serious incidents and see if people organise and making sure their waste will be put in certain areas or infect all the waterways and how people will react to those players or a server with a serious outbreak of Cholera. I think this is the crux of it, it's that organic context and I think a lot of publishers go for the safe ground of making a story, packaging an experience and DayZ is going in the complete opposite direction where we build a framework and the players/streamers/youtubers/content creators build the story, the mod doesn't do anything particularly exciting with it but it's how the people interact and the context it provides that provides the power.

Q: Why zombies?

A: I'm not really big into zombies I just see them as a mechanism to study people, I said it before it's more palatable to look at a zombie disaster game then if it were based on peak oil or fiscal collapse or something. Talking with my brother we have always talked a lot about diseases and the impact (since that's his job) and part of that is where DayZ came from and so I'm hoping DayZ can teach people how fragile that can be, how disease spread and how to control disease and so people can gain an awareness on what happens in a disaster situation like DayZ. If you do any reading into Cholera you will realise how serious it is in disaster situations and it will be a very serious problem in DayZ. It kills within hours, you need a lot of water and finding clean water is going to be problematic in DayZ. I can see clans trying to control areas around ponds to secure the drinking water and so many other dynamics coming from this system and all of this is possible because of the inventory system being designed from the ground up. Objects actually exist now, they are effectively a vehicle it exists, it's persistent and all of it's attributes are persistent and that's a fundamental change. I hope those people who have complained that we didn't use ArmA III have been answered now, this is a new engine now, it's not ArmA II, it's not TOH, it's not ArmA III, it's DayZ.

Q: Diseases, what are you thinking, what can you catch, how do they transfer etc

A: Diseases will be done like they happen in real life to some extent. All diseases start of with what's called a latent reservoir which is where the disease is kept, for example they believe H5N1 (Bird Flu) started off with bats I think, bats/mice/rats/watersources etc. So we can start a virus on one server from one water source, say Cholera. Anyone who uses that water source will have a chance of being infected who can then pass it on to other water sources. They can also infect other players through bodily contact if the virus spreads that way. Even if that player uses medicine to cure it, someone else could go to that latent reservoir and still pick it up and spread it around as well.

• Like 2