Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

A big island instead of generic land in north and west

I never understood why Chernarus (already in Arma 2) is not a big island. This would make the map get rid of that unfitting, unrealistic and stupid endless land in the north and west. The ocean all around then would be a natural border of the gameplay area.

Further, the map could be designed in a way where players spawn all around the map on the coast line (with little villages for rudimental equipment and hideout more or less equally all around) and the points of interest are more towards the "center" of the map. A big capital, with suburban areas, big airfield and all that.

• Like 1

Yeah, its not a bad idea that's been brought up before.  It would make it interesting in that the whole map could be used as a spawn...tbh i will always associate DayZ as spawning on the beach...not a fan of inland spawns.

• Like 1

I've always wanted the ability to travel to different maps. As an example you start as a fresh spawn on the beach of Chenarus. If you can find a boat of some kind you can travel to the edge of the Chenarus map to the south and the client would click into a loading splash screen and you would load to one of the island maps, say Lingor. If you travel to the north edge of the Chenarus map the client would click into a loading splash screen and you would load to a land locked map. Some of the map edges would lead to another map and some wouldn't.

• Like 2

Sorry for smart-arsing, but it's CheRnarus (tsharny (russ), černá (czech) = black) ;)

Would require an extremely lengthy map re-design and a lot of the locations would need to be heavily revamped or removed completely. Not to mention that turning Chernarus into an island completely breaks all previous lore. It may as well just be an entirely different universe at that point, the only similarity being that they use the same engine.

Oh, and they'd have to reposition a lot of the map's objects if they were to extend it or move it towards the map's center, which is one of the biggest reasons the devs don't even want to increase the CURRENT map's size.

I say if they ever do something like this, just make it an entirely new map. It'd be much more unique in that way and honestly would not need AS MUCH work.

There's something extremely jarring about reaching the edge of the map and just seeing an endless expanse of nothingness. A map border of some kind would be nice. Perhaps a thick, rapid-like river running on the west side of the map and cliffs and mountain ranges to the north?. That'd be enough for me, provided they merged well with the environment and didn't look tacked on.

• Like 2

I agree. Throw in some mountains or rivers, and bam you have a sweet natural border that would realistically prevent travel.

What i'de rather see is the entire country of Chernarus, not just the South Zorgia province (Current map)

screenshot20091107at628_zps73fa005e.jpg

That may be to big though.. atleast on one would reach the edge..

But I really don't like the idea of an island, as I really like the current lore. honestly I would like it so it just won't let you go past the edge and put some trees there, though that would be a problem with helicopters and other aircraft.... I don't really wanna play under the dome...

• Like 1

Mkay, a new composition of the map is not required and the most sought-after place may remain in the northwest corner, but they just need to cut off the generic land and shape it a bit coastline-ish. Or as suggested before, put in mountains or rivers

However, it is some kind of fact that the current 'border' in the north and west IS quite rediculous.

What i'de rather see is the entire country of Chernarus, not just the South Zorgia province (Current map)

screenshot20091107at628_zps73fa005e.jpg

That may be to big though.. atleast on one would reach the edge..

But I really don't like the idea of an island, as I really like the current lore. honestly I would like it so it just won't let you go past the edge and put some trees there, though that would be a problem with helicopters and other aircraft.... I don't really wanna play under the dome...

This guy, I like this guy. He knows what we need, not what we want!

But anyways, there is a reason why Chernarus is the way it is. EVERY terrain prior to A2 was an island. It was something new, and I hate people that want to desecrate Chernarus further.

Bohemia knows best. Their games are always the best when they ignore the wailing masses.