Sign in to follow this  
wacktopia

Loot in 49. - What am I missing?

Back after a break playing DayZ; I've played about 8-9 hours total over the past couple of days and I've not had a character last past hunger / freezing.  Been failing to find the basic survival loot too keep me warm and simple food etc.  

I've been reading about some of the recent changes, for example the fact that doors are randomly open now and loot spawning has changed.  However, even armed with this information I'm struggling to get the basic loot collected.  

I tried filling up on applies from trees, water from the lake and wondered way inland but then I die of hypothermia.  Tried busy servers, empty servers, same void of loot.  Eventually I found a jacket on top of a cabinet but of course I cannot reach that haha! 

Frustrated and convinced I must be missing something I visited almost every building in Svet only to find endless broken hammers and a load of glow-sicks.  The rave on the roof of the factory was wonderful until the Z'ed turned up and I got hypothermia.

Anyone throw me some tips as to making the most of the current loot mechanics, please?  What am I missing...  :blush:

Thanks

Edited by wacktopia
  • Like 1

Go inside some buildings and loot shit you silly man, try looting a town that isn't Svet and try going inside just about any building

Edited by t1337Dude

Go inside some buildings and loot shit you silly man, try looting a town that isn't Svet and try going inside just about any building

Every time I spawn I do just that.  I visit every building I can see.  Even sheds outside.  

Perhaps I'm just getting very unlucky.  Hrm.

Thanks for the reply. 

Same as always: get as far away from the spawn cities as possible. Also, look harder. Even in spawn cities that seem looted, I always find items others have missed or passed up.

I have been lucky a few times but for the most part I think backpacks are much harder to find now, which is great.

I think backpacks are much harder to find now, which is great.

Absolutely.  I really like these changes a lot.  I especially like that fact that not every piano house contains a rifle and ammo, etc.  

I'll try dodging deeper into the map again.  It was raining last time iirc so that probably didn't help the temperature situation.  

Thanks , Wack.  

Loot has become rare, good loot even more. Even if you only find a hammer, take it in your hand, if you encounter Zs at least you have something to defend yourself. Circle around the Zs to avoid being hit at try to loot buildings in the streets where you killed the Zs. Try to be inventive. Don't stop moving trying to find what you need in order to survive really fast. They reduced the loot and you will soon find out when you'll be looking for a gun. There's not much else to say, as t1337Dude said you really need to move your ass.

Same as always: get as far away from the spawn cities as possible. Also, look harder. Even in spawn cities that seem looted, I always find items others have missed or passed up.

I have been lucky a few times but for the most part I think backpacks are much harder to find now, which is great.

Why?  It just increases "artificial difficulty". Backpacks are very common IRL. Even if you can't find a purpose-made backpack, you can make a sack (AKA courier bag) out of a blanket, a sheet, or even a towel.

Artificial difficulty is stupid, and detrimental to the game. Realistic difficulty (water-borne diseases, realistic medical system, stamina/weight [and get rid of that unlimited sprint!], etc), on the other hand, is great.

likewise Knives are more common, so you can go murder a deer and turn him into a backpack

Why? It just increases "artificial difficulty". Backpacks are very common IRL. Even if you can't find a purpose-made backpack, you can make a sack (AKA courier bag) out of a blanket, a sheet, or even a towel.

Artificial difficulty is stupid, and detrimental to the game. Realistic difficulty (water-borne diseases, realistic medical system, stamina/weight [and get rid of that unlimited sprint!], etc), on the other hand, is great.

You're right about all of that, I am just happy to not see dozens of talon and mountain packs in every city. Creating one from sacks and blankets is a much better alternative to hundreds of fancy orange backpacks everywhere.

Every time I spawn I do just that.  I visit every building I can see.  Even sheds outside.  

Thanks for the reply. 

This is your problem. Everyone whos joined that server sence it restarted, or in the case of a persistant server forever, have done the same thing.

You need to get off the coast if you dont see things in the first three or four buildings you check. And i mean, not another town along the coast, I mean inland.

Also try checking places you normally pass. The other day I was near one of the flimsy grey sheds that have an adjoining open "room" and found two splitting axes, whereas previously I'd usually skip over these for the more sturdy grey sheds with the door and central pillar.

I'd also recommend keeping mind that both starvation and cold are in fact slowly killing you in the beginning. Starvation will kill you first but food tends to be more reliably sourced (there are apples and berries in emergencies). I'd actually focus first on getting something warm on (most servers right now are dreadfully cold all the time) as this way you can begin losing body heat at a more reasonable rate. I'd suggest only spending time to forage in the beginning if you are reaching a critical hunger level, otherwise you are spending more time losing more body heat. Moving too far inland, as this is usually accompanied by significant elevation increases, before you have warmer clothing may actually be counter-productive, though a necessary gamble if you're finding no clothing at all.

Edited by Ebrim

Go to a town or a city or an army base, log out. Join a server that starts at either 15:00 or 12:00, tad ah all your looting problems solved.

Don't hate me, i never designed the game.

look for servers that restart often, and try to head to a town that seems less popular than others. small towns that aren't on the way to or from major points of interest. 

honestly though it's not your fault, unfortunately how well you do at looting basically relies on how soon the server restarted and how many people have been through before you...there isn't much "skill" to it, so don't feel bad about gaming the restart cycles.

Back after a break playing DayZ; I've played about 8-9 hours total over the past couple of days and I've not had a character last past hunger / freezing.  Been failing to find the basic survival loot too keep me warm and simple food etc.  

I've been reading about some of the recent changes, for example the fact that doors are randomly open now and loot spawning has changed.  However, even armed with this information I'm struggling to get the basic loot collected.  

I tried filling up on applies from trees, water from the lake and wondered way inland but then I die of hypothermia.  Tried busy servers, empty servers, same void of loot.  Eventually I found a jacket on top of a cabinet but of course I cannot reach that haha! 

Frustrated and convinced I must be missing something I visited almost every building in Svet only to find endless broken hammers and a load of glow-sicks.  The rave on the roof of the factory was wonderful until the Z'ed turned up and I got hypothermia.

Anyone throw me some tips as to making the most of the current loot mechanics, please?  What am I missing...  :blush:

Thanks

1st off: THE TEMPERATURE SYSTEM IS BROKEN ON MOST SERVERS

Play only on Vilayer servers, since you will freeze to death 5 times as fast on non-vilayer

2nd off: when starting as fresh-spawn, try to find a server that hasn't been running for more than one or two hours.

My first hours on DayZ I obviously spent on servers that didn't restart often, and all I found was rotten fruit

3rd off: the loot tables aren't at all tweaked properly. Since 0.49 I've found more guns and ammunition, even more bayonets than knives, for example. Even kitchen knives don't spawn in towns like Polana anymore. How are you supposed to skin and quarter a deer if a bayonet won't do it? It should also not be a necessity to have an axe to be able to make a fireplace.

Give this game some time. Maybe at some point it will have some decent survival mechanics, but at this point... it's just an Alpha.

What's it with all these fanboys here? :huh:
The only honest answer was from "anotherdeadhero" in this thread, because that's how 99.5 (my well educated guess) percent of the community is doing it at the moment.

1) Don't play on "persistance enabled" server, play on the non official ones. I've walked around for hours finding nothing on these servers, while on the normal servers you can get geared within 30-90 minutes.

2) Join a server that's like 12:01/12:02/12:03/15:01/15:02/15:03 etc. etc. that has just been restarted, have fun. You don't need to serverhop (don't get why people do that), just go to a recently restarted server and loot away :)

You'll find more than enough loot that way, good luck.

cheers

Edited by re-patch

1st off: THE TEMPERATURE SYSTEM IS BROKEN ON MOST SERVERS

Play only on Vilayer servers, since you will freeze to death 5 times as fast on non-vilayer

So that's not a problem on Vilayers? You don't freeze to death all the time?

Gotta try that, thanks buddy.

Thanks

My friend and I also came back after several months break and had the same issue last night.

The problem now is that freezing to death is the real issue. With no way to make a fire other than using an axe, which of course there are none, means you have no way to warm up. Because there's no loot, you don't find any clothes. As soon as you spawn in, run inland and hope you make the next town. Most of the times you'll start finding loot as soon as you leave the coast.

Alternatively, if you're a pussy, go find a recently restarted server and join that :P

So that's not a problem on Vilayers? You don't freeze to death all the time?

Gotta try that, thanks buddy.

Yes, that seems to be the current "workaround" if you're in full gear pants, jacket, hat and boots and still getting the "promptly cooling off messages"

If you "freeze to death" within an hour due to not finding a jacket, or because you spawned naked in Vybor, or are running around in the cold rain with nothing but a t-shirt, well that's another thing.

I was going cold within 3 minutes despite full gorka gear but since I switched to only Vilayer servers I don't have the issue anymore.

Yes, that seems to be the current "workaround" if you're in full gear pants, jacket, hat and boots and still getting the "promptly cooling off messages"

If you "freeze to death" within an hour due to not finding a jacket, or because you spawned naked in Vybor, or are running around in the cold rain with nothing but a t-shirt, well that's another thing.

I was going cold within 3 minutes despite full gorka gear but since I switched to only Vilayer servers I don't have the issue anymore.

Cool, I didn't know about that, thanks.

Hahaha, you're right, but no, I froze to death (or would have without an axe) two times already with:

Gorka Pants (Worn/Pristine)

Gorka Jacket (Worn/Pristine)

Riders Jacket (Worn/Prstine)

Ballistic Helmet (Worn/Pristine)

Black Gloves (Worn/Pristine)

High Cap. Vest (Worn/Pristine)

Combat Boots (Worn/Pristine)

I also tried Woolcoats, Tactical Shirts, Dawn Jackets, Caps ... nothing works/protects you.

Hope they will fix that soon (together with that bullsh** they call sway now).

cheerio & gl not freezing to death

Will only be playing Vilayer as of today, thanks again.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. 

You must be very unlucky. This particular build seems to have an overabundance of at least basic loot, and a fine selection of guns and ammo as well (although military equipment has rightly become much scarcer).

I am currently struggling to find space in my mountain backpack for all the ammunition and pistol mags I find (in the hope I will eventually find the matching guns). If you find an out of the way firestation, jail or police station there will literally be piles of valuable loot, since loot keeps spawning there when other loot in the area is being picked up.

• Like 1

You can actually freeze to death? Oh....I just ignored the irritating temperature reminders.

But loot is awful at the moment, I understand the whole random doors thing but it wastes so much of my time. And when your a fresh spawn without a can opener time is everything.

Thanks for the advice here.  Running inland was a near death experience and I got knocked out twice, starving most of the time.  But finally stumbled across a burlap sack and the bits to make a bag.  And a stroke of luck finding some food too and... shotgun and ammo in a barn.  

Running into Stary warm, healthy and a little bit of colour coming back!  I even managed some kind of 'look'...

Looting up is always one of the best parts for me.  Probably start looking for heli sites or something next before I get shot in the head and start all over haha!

9suya1.jpg