xxpillsxx

Will DayZ reach Beta or at least have the most wanted features in by the end of this year / beginning of next year.

I've played DayZ for only about a week, but in that week I've also caught up with its progress, and it seems like it's slow BUT because they're working on a lot of features at once, including the new renderer and the revamp of the engine, so I won't be surprised that it's slow, that's actually fast for a pretty small team like them compared to other giant companies.

Now, to the main topic: the recent status reports show that they're doing progress steadily, and if I remember correctly they've been working on vehicles for some weeks or months now and in the latest status report, they are working on the V3S' parts and impact implementation, which I assume to be (almost) the final things for the first vehicle, and also they have started implementing horticulture, along with barricading and server/game optimization and fixing (zombies included). That means this week and the previous week, community's most wanted features have began or are in development, but I haven't heard anything about the new engine or the renderer the previous week.

The final question: Assuming the Enfusion engine (with the new renderer) will be completed before end of year, do you think DayZ will reach beta or at least have the features I mentioned? Or will it most likely be pushed back til Feb - April next year?

If it gets pushed back, I am sure we will see a lot of complaints on how the game is going so slow it will never be cared about when it finishes.

TL;DR: Do you think DayZ will get into Beta end of / next year? If not, will it at least have what most people have been asking for?

If people ask for something Bohemia wants in the game, it will most likely be in the game, but if they ask for something they dont want, it wont. History has shown Bohemia doesnt make games with the features people want, they make games with the features they want :)

As for Beta start, its really hard to say imho, but if the alpha gets prolongued, im fine with it, as the game still needs alot more work.

The more work they put into it, the better it will be in the end, regardless of the time spend of it :)

And since they opened the game for everyone in Alpha, getting the game out of development and sold is no longer an issue. This means they can work in peace on the product, without a deadline screaming them in the face, and not make the same mistakes thousands of developers do now a days, release a broken game as a finished game.

• Like 9

I've played DayZ for only about a week, but in that week I've also caught up with its progress, and it seems like it's slow BUT because they're working on a lot of features at once, including the new renderer and the revamp of the engine, so I won't be surprised that it's slow, that's actually fast for a pretty small team like them compared to other giant companies.

Now, to the main topic: the recent status reports show that they're doing progress steadily, and if I remember correctly they've been working on vehicles for some weeks or months now and in the latest status report, they are working on the V3S' parts and impact implementation, which I assume to be (almost) the final things for the first vehicle, and also they have started implementing horticulture, along with barricading and server/game optimization and fixing (zombies included). That means this week and the previous week, community's most wanted features have began or are in development, but I haven't heard anything about the new engine or the renderer the previous week.

The final question: Assuming the Enfusion engine (with the new renderer) will be completed before end of year, do you think DayZ will reach beta or at least have the features I mentioned? Or will it most likely be pushed back til Feb - April next year?

If it gets pushed back, I am sure we will see a lot of complaints on how the game is going so slow it will never be cared about when it finishes.

TL;DR: Do you think DayZ will get into Beta end of / next year? If not, will it at least have what most people have been asking for?

To be safe i really don't see beta popping up till probably around next year at the most. But since there developing the game as they go I wouldn't expect everything to be super fast ether since there trying to squash all the new bugs that pop up with each new build.

Does it matter that much? As long as we are seeing progress, I'm ok.

On the other hand, if beta did not arrive before june/july next year, I might get worried.

They always talk about the 3 year development cycle... i always thought that at the end of three years it would be in beta

• Like 1

Is it really an issue? I have an enjoyable and playable alpha build of a videogame installed on my laptop. Keywords: enjoyable and playable. The current gameplay experience avalaible is, honestly, amazing if we consider DayZ Standalone was launched as an alpha less than a year ago. There are very few games that can brag an early access as good as DayZ.

The current version of the game is not, obviously, a saleable product - far from it. But, again: considering that's an early access alpha less than a year old it's seriously good. Especially if we consider the amount of changes in the gameplay with the various patches. Tell me the DayZ we played in the first months of 2014 is the same we're playing now. I say: don't rush development. A beta in early/mid 2015 could be a good idea.

you know that when beta start ,no new features will come to the game. Only bug fixing. Do you want that?

The last I read, they are aiming for Beta by the end of this year so we're talking about December, and as far as I know they are still on track for that deadline.

On the last livestream they stated that the new renderer will not be coming this year and that it'll be somewhere near the end of Q1 next year.

So no, it won't be in beta nor have many of the features planned or asked for.

They are 11 or so months into a 3 year development. Beta I would assume would happen sometime next year but you don't really add things in beta you fix things. For wanted features though i'd say we will have most of the core things in fairly soon. I believe they that the first implementation of vehicles will be in the next experimental build but i could just be retarted so don't take my word for it. We already have alot of the core things though, we have hunting, the start of persistence, the start of the weather effects, fishing, zombies are getting there. Really the only thing the mod has that SA doesn't is vehicles and building/barricading but vehicles will be here soon and barricading will follow them.

Edited by Sirwarriant12

They are 11 or so months into a 3 year development. Beta I would assume would happen sometime next year but you don't really add things in beta you fix things. For wanted features though i'd say we will have most of the core things in fairly soon. I believe they that the first implementation of vehicles will be in the next experimental build but i could just be retarted so don't take my word for it. We already have alot of the core things though, we have hunting, the start of persistence, the start of the weather effects, fishing, zombies are getting there. Really the only thing the mod has that SA doesn't is vehicles and building/barricading but vehicles will be here soon and barricading will follow them.

Yeah I really think vehicles aren't too far away since they implemented the new weather features, but I think barricading will be before vehicles.

Yeah I really think vehicles aren't too far away since they implemented the new weather features, but I think barricading will be before vehicles.

Apparently the first vehicle they are working on is finished. Dean said that barricading is going to be tricky since it needs to function correctly. He doesn't want people finding a barricaded place that they can get into so then they just hop on a different server and log out in the building that had the barricades on the other server then hop back on the one with the barricades so they are just inside.

This means they can work in peace on the product, without a deadline screaming them in the face

Ideally, yes. The reality of the situation is that instead they have people screaming in their face about not releasing updates fast enough :p

Is it really an issue? I have an enjoyable and playable alpha build of a videogame installed on my laptop. Keywords: enjoyable and playable. The current gameplay experience avalaible is, honestly, amazing if we consider DayZ Standalone was launched as an alpha less than a year ago. There are very few games that can brag an early access as good as DayZ.

Agreed on all fronts. There are few games in the beta stage I could see myself investing this amount of time into, let alone games in the alpha stage. DayZ is an exception to many rules.

The last I read, they are aiming for Beta by the end of this year so we're talking about December, and as far as I know they are still on track for that deadline.

I remember hearing something similar, but can't for the life of me remember where.

They are 11 or so months into a 3 year development.

Same as above, where is this info coming from? I hadn't heard anything about a 3-year timeline.

Speaking of weather: I could have sworn that I had heard a while back that seasons would be in effect in Chernarus at some point later in development as well. I wonder if that's still a thing. I would love to see the seasons change in-game.

Apparently the first vehicle they are working on is finished. Dean said that barricading is going to be tricky since it needs to function correctly. He doesn't want people finding a barricaded place that they can get into so then they just hop on a different server and log out in the building that had the barricades on the other server then hop back on the one with the barricades so they are just inside.

I'm glad they're taking the time to really think through this before they implement it. It HAS to be done right or it won't be half as useful (and it'll be a big headache).

Honestly if this were true I would be more worried then excited.  That would mean most features and mechanics in game now are the final vision for the game.  I would not be horribly excited about that.

Though on another hand... they have reduced weapon spawns which is step in the right direction... would be nice if they radically reduced food spawns as well.

On the last livestream they stated that the new renderer will not be coming this year and that it'll be somewhere near the end of Q1 next year.

So no, it won't be in beta nor have many of the features planned or asked for.

This is my understanding as well. I wouldn't expect beta status as likely until at least Q2 next year.

Same as above, where is this info coming from? I hadn't heard anything about a 3-year timeline.

Here is the quote along with the link to the full article http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/09/dayzs-producer-addresses-communitys-concerns-about-the-games-development/

quote: "DayZ is 11 months into principle development, on what should be a 3 year standard development cycle."

"I'm always careful with what I say - 3 year standard development cycle, meaning in standard terms this would be a 3 year, closed development cycle. Early Access changes a lot of that, I don't need to tell you. We are still aiming for end of 2014 to hit our beta phase entry. You can be certain the weekly status reports will keep everyone updated on that.

"We're trying to effectively do a 3 year standard cycle in 2 to 2.5 years. It might be a lofty goal, but as long as I have something to say about it - you will all be kept updated as to what is going on."

This is all coming from Brian Hicks.

Edited by Sirwarriant12
  • Like 2

Vehicles are coming to experimental "soon" but not expected to go directly to stable.

If people ask for something Bohemia wants in the game, it will most likely be in the game, but if they ask for something they dont want, it wont. History has shown Bohemia doesnt make games with the features people want, they make games with the features they want :)

Which is closeminded and stupid. Listen to your community - They probably have some good ideas.

Ignoring those ideas and not putting in things the players want that are rational and make sense = Bad development.

Server hopping in general should be tackled down on the login phase: at the moment you have a 60 seconds timer before your character actually appears in the new server. This could me modified in order to discourage server hopping...an example: when you log off from a server you shouldn't be able to join another server for at least 10 minutes in real life: then, after you log in, you have a 120 seconds timer - two full minutes when the character is already in the server, but the player can't interact with it. This two minutes of forced AFK could endanger the character, something server hoppers hate, and the waiting time of 12 minutes before loggin in a different server should discourage many of them. 

It's a little extreme, but I suspect server hoppers do that because they're not patient enough to gear up in a classical way. Forcing people to wait before joining another server could be a good strategy to reduce the problem - especially if we imagine assaulting/raiding future boarded houses as a major exploit threat for server hoppers.

Another solution could be store 1 character per server. In this way, if you server hop, you start each time as a fresh spawn. I don't know if this is viable, though, considering both server memory storage/performances or possible player or admin abuse of localized characters. IMHO the waiting time idea is worth a shot.

Edited by DocWolf

Server hopping in general should be tackled down on the login phase: at the moment you have a 60 seconds timer before your character actually appears in the new server. This could me modified in order to discourage server hopping...an example: when you log off from a server you shouldn't be able to join another server for at least 10 minutes in real life: then, after you log in, you have a 120 seconds timer - two full minutes when the character is already in the server, but the player can't interact with it. This two minutes of forced AFK could endanger the character, something server hoppers hate, and the waiting time of 12 minutes before loggin in a different server should discourage many of them. 

It's a little extreme, but I suspect server hoppers do that because they're not patient enough to gear up in a classical way. Forcing people to wait before joining another server could be a good strategy to reduce the problem - especially if we imagine assaulting/raiding future boarded houses as a major exploit threat for server hoppers.

Another solution could be store 1 character per server. In this way, if you server hop, you start each time as a fresh spawn. I don't know if this is viable, though, considering both server memory storage/performances or possible player or admin abuse of localized characters. IMHO the waiting time idea is worth a shot.

Server hopping won't be stopped since Dean wants us to go to go to different servers and fight over parts for vehicles and what not then take them back to our home servers. I believe he said something about wanting some sort of buffer zone where if you try to log into a place where theres  barricade you will be teleported out of the buffer zone or something along those lines which I would be fine with.

Server hopping won't be stopped since Dean wants us to go to go to different servers and fight over parts for vehicles and what not then take them back to our home servers. I believe he said something about wanting some sort of buffer zone where if you try to log into a place where theres  barricade you will be teleported out of the buffer zone or something along those lines which I would be fine with.

This is not server hopping - it's playing on different servers, and it's entirely different.

If you need to play on 6 servers in order to find a part for the XY vehicle...well, it's fine. If you loot the Pavlovo military base in server #1, then log off and join server #2 and loot the base again, then log off and join server #3 and loot the base again and so on...that's server hopping. And that's what a timer could prevent.

Ideally, yes. The reality of the situation is that instead they have people screaming in their face about not releasing updates fast enough  :P

Yeh, but they arent CEO's or a publisher company, pushing development.

If you havent noticed, Bohemia listens very little to people who complain about lack of updates hehe.

Which is closeminded and stupid. Listen to your community - They probably have some good ideas.

Ignoring those ideas and not putting in things the players want that are rational and make sense = Bad development.

I never once said they didnt listen to the community, dont put words in my mouth.

What i mean is that they have an idea, call it a "vision", of how the game will turn out. Which means very specific ideas about the content, features and how it should function.

This doesnt mean that they dont put things into the game, the community suggests. This means that nothing, again going from history with this company, they dont want in this game, gets into it.

If a community member suggest an awsome idea, and the dev team likes it, theres a good chance it will get into the game.

They do listen, but they just dont cave in to peer presure and develop everything people want, because they have theyre own idea of how it should be.

This means, in the end we will have a game the dev team are very proud of and happy with, and the people who share this feeling will buy it, those who dont, will not.

As far as im concerned, the best games have been developed by people with a vision, a great idea, and this is exactly how Bohemia works.