Sign in to follow this  
Just Caused

Add more sniper tools

Hi, sometimes sniping with Mosin Nagat really pisses me off. Sniping now is too hard without bipod ( Long Range sniping ). Either return bipod to mosin or add anthoner sniper rifle that supports bipod. And, can you please add thoes things so they will make sniper shooting much more fun :

- Camouflage suit ( Arma 2 has it, its kinda suit from grass, and from distance you should look like bush ) It would be cool if we can craft it. ( EDIT : Its called Ghillie suit )

- Add more sniper rifle that supports bipod

- Add sniper silincer

- Lower shaking frequency while you are prone. ( Comeone, you are all energized, you havent run and you cant hold your breath for 2 seconds to get perfect non shaky shoot? I bet that even I would shake rifle less that my character. Proning should drastically reduce shaking )

- Fix Hold Breath option, it does not even make you shake less.

- Dirt face mask. if we have knife or machette, we should be able to dig up a small peice of dirt and cover our faces.

- Make some advantages when using gloves. Non sweaty hands improve gun holding.

Edited by JustCaused

Prepare for the massive army of people who instantly jump when they see people talk about sniping. The bipod was intentionally taken off of the Mosin because it isn't capable of supporting an ATLAS bipod without modification, so I wouldn't expect it to be re-added. There are more (and actual) sniper rifles coming, including the SVD. The Mosin isn't really even a sniper rifle, it's just a long bolt action rifle that's been used as the game's sniper because of the LRS.

"- Camouflage suit ( Arma 2 has it, its kinda suit from grass, and from distance you should look like bush ) It would be cool if we can craft it. ( EDIT : Its called Ghillie suit )"

Yep, they're called Ghillie suits, and they're confirmed. Yes, they will also be craftable.

"- Add more sniper rifle that supports bipod"

I don't believe that the SVD will support the ATLAS bipod either, because it wasn't developed with it in mind. However, I'm sure at some point we'll get more rifles that can use universal attachments like the bipod. Just so you know, there are other ways of making your shots more accurate, the Bipod shouldn't even increase accuracy on its own, just steady your aim.

"- Add sniper silincer"

Mosins weren't designed with suppressors in mind, that's why they don't have one ingame. The SVD really wasn't either. I wouldn't mind seeing a few sniper rifles with a wide range of attachments, including suppressors, but there's nothing confirmed for now. It's not worth worrying about until suppressors actually work anyway.

"- Lower shaking frequency while you are prone. ( Comeone, you are all energized, you havent run and you cant hold your breath for 2 seconds to get perfect non shaky shoot? I bet that even I would shake rifle less that my character. Proning should drastically reduce shaking )"

The sway system is definitely up for adjustment, but I don't think you should EVER be able to take a completely stable shot, there's always a tiny amount of sway. As I've said, the system is fairly clunky as is and will be tweaked, but if you want to play a sniper, you should actually have to take energy into account. We don't need sniping to be EASIER.

"- Fix Hold Breath option, it does not even make you shake less."

Haven't tested, but it's probably a bug if it isn't working. It isn't really a suggestion to tell them to fix something they know is broken.

"- Dirt face mask. if we have knife or machette, we should be able to dig up a small peice of dirt and cover our faces."

Shouldn't really even need a machete or knife, there's nothing stopping you from just picking up some dirt and putting it over your face. However, I wouldn't mind if it at least required a shovel/spade or knife so we didn't see the icon popping up every time we ran in the grass.

Depends on the gloves, thin gloves can be extremely helpful at times but aren't as good at absorbing sweat. Thicker gloves absorb more but also make gripping an object more difficult.

I say just make it aesthetic, the differences are so minor that it's not even worth the time. What gloves SHOULD be good for is keeping your fingers warm as well as preventing burns.

Hi, sometimes sniping with Mosin Nagat really pisses me off. Sniping now is too hard without bipod ( Long Range sniping ). Either return bipod to mosin or add anthoner sniper rifle that supports bipod. And, can you please add thoes things so they will make sniper shooting much more fun :

• Like 4

Prepare for the massive army of people who instantly jump when they see people talk about sniping. The bipod was intentionally taken off of the Mosin because it isn't capable of supporting an ATLAS bipod without modification, so I wouldn't expect it to be re-added. There are more (and actual) sniper rifles coming, including the SVD. The Mosin isn't really even a sniper rifle, it's just a long bolt action rifle that's been used as the game's sniper because of the LRS.

"- Camouflage suit ( Arma 2 has it, its kinda suit from grass, and from distance you should look like bush ) It would be cool if we can craft it. ( EDIT : Its called Ghillie suit )"

Yep, they're called Ghillie suits, and they're confirmed. Yes, they will also be craftable.

"- Add more sniper rifle that supports bipod"

I don't believe that the SVD will support the ATLAS bipod either, because it wasn't developed with it in mind. However, I'm sure at some point we'll get more rifles that can use universal attachments like the bipod. Just so you know, there are other ways of making your shots more accurate, the Bipod shouldn't even increase accuracy on its own, just steady your aim.

"- Add sniper silincer"

Mosins weren't designed with suppressors in mind, that's why they don't have one ingame. The SVD really wasn't either. I wouldn't mind seeing a few sniper rifles with a wide range of attachments, including suppressors, but there's nothing confirmed for now. It's not worth worrying about until suppressors actually work anyway.

"- Lower shaking frequency while you are prone. ( Comeone, you are all energized, you havent run and you cant hold your breath for 2 seconds to get perfect non shaky shoot? I bet that even I would shake rifle less that my character. Proning should drastically reduce shaking )"

The sway system is definitely up for adjustment, but I don't think you should EVER be able to take a completely stable shot, there's always a tiny amount of sway. As I've said, the system is fairly clunky as is and will be tweaked, but if you want to play a sniper, you should actually have to take energy into account. We don't need sniping to be EASIER.

"- Fix Hold Breath option, it does not even make you shake less."

Haven't tested, but it's probably a bug if it isn't working. It isn't really a suggestion to tell them to fix something they know is broken.

"- Dirt face mask. if we have knife or machette, we should be able to dig up a small peice of dirt and cover our faces."

Shouldn't really even need a machete or knife, there's nothing stopping you from just picking up some dirt and putting it over your face. However, I wouldn't mind if it at least required a shovel/spade or knife so we didn't see the icon popping up every time we ran in the grass.

Depends on the gloves, thin gloves can be extremely helpful at times but aren't as good at absorbing sweat. Thicker gloves absorb more but also make gripping an object more difficult.

I say just make it aesthetic, the differences are so minor that it's not even worth the time. What gloves SHOULD be good for is keeping your fingers warm as well as preventing burns.

You pretty much nailed it, so you get beans.

If sniping with the mosin pisses the OP off already what will he think if and when they add a some or a lot of the other factors involved in taking LR shots such as wind, temp, elevation, hot/cold bore, drop etc etc.

Quite right we don't need sniping to be made any easier than it already is especially if the game is aiming for some form of realism.

• Like 1

Not that i have anything against bush wookies who hide in trees for 3 hours to snipe someone looking for beans,  but you seem to want sniping to be easier? 

Why would the devs make anything easier in DayZ? Isn't the fact that sniping is hard make it more meaningful and enjoyable when you do make that impossible shot?

• Like 3

- Add sniper silincer

Would you like a FLIR sight, AN-PSQ 20, and an M107A1 with Raufoss Mk 211 ammo too so you can be the ultimate sniper in a zombie survival horror game?

False. I'm no sniper, but every marksmen I've ever worked with or shared stories with prefers to handle their rifle with their bare hands or cut the fingers off their gloves to handle the parts of their kit better.

• Like 1

Wind and proper ballistics in Dayz like ace mod has will make sniping better, making it easy will just break the game. With proper ballistics, shooting from close enough range, so 300-400 meters [within retaliation range for people with AKs and stuff] is easy enough for anyone to do, but beyond that takes skill, knowledge and patience. Something which sniping in dayz should require.

• Like 1

I often tell myself that DayZ Forum is in Alpha just like the game.

It helps when I open threads full of questions that could be answered if the OP actually followed the development news.

Also, if you really want to snipe, with all the modern gadgetry AND have an unrealistic amount of EASE with landing your shot, play a different game.

Sorry, no refunds.

• Like 1

Should be able to make a simple bipod out of some sticks and a rope. Also called shooting sticks and can be used for any rifle type.

Would you like a FLIR sight, AN-PSQ 20, and an M107A1 with Raufoss Mk 211 ammo too so you can be the ultimate sniper in a zombie survival horror game?

False. I'm no sniper, but every marksmen I've ever worked with or shared stories with prefers to handle their rifle with their bare hands or cut the fingers off their gloves to handle the parts of their kit better.

This. When I shoot at competitions, I go barehanded even in 20 degree weather.

When I hunt, I cut the finger tips off of the trigger finger and thumb for more awareness of the trigger, adjusting the elevation/windage knobs, and flipping the safety easier (when I take my AR)

Off topic, but the Oakley gloves I have are the only ones I use, thin palm that allows for more feeling, and its good for keeping warm/ grips better than cloth gloves

- Add sniper silincer

- Dirt face mask. if we have knife or machette, we should be able to dig up a small peice of dirt and cover our faces.

Sniper silencer is USELESS on long range. Silencers only work if the bullet travels at sub-sonic speed, otherwise the sonic boom makes so much noise, that the need for the supression of the explosion is needless. Since sub-sonic amunition is useless for long range, the supressor is useless.

For the dirt, check this out:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/208958-skin-camoflauge/

DayZ needs to be less sniper friendly if anything.

More "sniper realism" will defintely make it less sniper friendly ;)

• Like 1

More "sniper realism" will defintely make it less sniper friendly ;)

That's pretty much what I mean. Sniping is something that should be an art form not a point and click mini game.

Not that i have anything against bush wookies who hide in trees for 3 hours to snipe someone looking for beans,  but you seem to want sniping to be easier? 

Why would the devs make anything easier in DayZ? Isn't the fact that sniping is hard make it more meaningful and enjoyable when you do make that impossible shot?

I dont say that I dont know how to shoot from sniper rifle. I dont want it to be easier, all I want is more realism. I dont want wind to be added NOW, but I want few attachments or new weapons that will make sniping advantage over assault and close combat. Sniping now is easy, but only thing that really grinds my gears ( No, I cant post meme right now ) is shaking. When you go prone, it will still shake, but a LOT LESS. Anyone tried using binoculars in real life while standing then proning and placing binoculars on rock for like bipod?

Your suggestion.

Goes here:

5ogfw8.jpg

Srsly.

==> One of the DEVs, chris torchia, already stated: They don't want to encourage long-range-Kill-On-Sight

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 1

They should remove all of the trees on the map, and buildings so that we have an unobstructed view/shot at people, too.  amirite?

• Like 1

I'm not really seeing the equation between having suppressors for sniper rifles and having thermal optics and anti-materiel rifles that can shoot over a kilometer away.

Sniping should definitely be realistically difficult to perform, but putting suppressors or various scopes on weapons that were meant to use just that isn't a problem. No, I don't want the SVD or Mosin to get a suppressor, but say they add an M24/M40 or some other platform that often uses them, a suppressor would be fine.

Your suggestion.

Goes here:

5ogfw8.jpg

Srsly.

==> One of the DEVs, chris torchia, already stated: They don't want to encourage long-range-Kill-On-Sight

Sniping =/= KoS

Also, they're not really consistent with that. They're perfectly fine with guns like the SKS & Mosin having scopes, and the SVD is on its way.

The only thing I really gathered from that post was that they didn't want to make guns that aren't really used as long-ranged rifles into long-ranged rifles, specifically the Blaze 95 & Sporter-22.

My best bet was that they either didn't want to develop new models for pre-existing guns or wanted to have the snipers limited. Not that I agree with the statement, the Sporter, CR-527, and Blaze would all be great scope platforms, but I've never gotten the idea that they want all combat to be close ranged.

Sniping =/= KoS

Also, they're not really consistent with that. They're perfectly fine with guns like the SKS & Mosin having scopes, and the SVD is on its way.

The only thing I really gathered from that post was that they didn't want to make guns that aren't really used as long-ranged rifles into long-ranged rifles, specifically the Blaze 95 & Sporter-22.

My best bet was that they either didn't want to develop new models for pre-existing guns or wanted to have the snipers limited. Not that I agree with the statement, the Sporter, CR-527, and Blaze would all be great scope platforms, but I've never gotten the idea that they want all combat to be close ranged.

easier sniping = easier long-range-kill-on-sight :D

The SVD is on its way, yeah, but it will be "carefully" implemented with a better central-loot-economy (I think)

Scubaman3D, on 22 Aug 2014 - 2:04 PM, said:

The blase has something like divots in its barrel which allows for attachment of a saddle mount - a type of mount which cannot be used on any other of our guns. That means the only way to satisfy the 'realism' junkies is to create a specific Blaze scope which can't be used on any other weapon.  Alternatively we introduce a generic 'scope' and then make people find the exact mount they need to attach to a given rifle and craft them together, which is a lot more work involving both the art and design team and has the end result of making it easier for there to be more leet snip0rs killing other players at long range - something we're not interested in encouraging at the moment.  

The Mosin will get the LRS removed, too.

I think the DEVs are "fine" with the current state, but they don't want to make it  "easier". And they would make long-range-KoS easier by adding more different weapons that are capable of long-range-sniping&co.

Edited by irishroy

easier sniping = easier long-range-kill-on-sight :D

The SVD is on its way, yeah, but it will be "carefully" implemented with a better central-loot-economy (I think)

The Mosin will get the LRS removed, too.

I think the DEVs are "fine" with the current state, but they don't want to make it  "easier". And they would make long-range-KoS easier by adding more different weapons that are capable of long-range-sniping&co.

And that's just for the Blaze. They're saying it's not really worth the effort because in the end it's unrealistic and only promotes long-ranged gameplay with a rifle that's absolutely fine without any attachments.

Nowhere has that indicated that they won't be making weapons specifically built for sniping.

And that's just for the Blaze. They're saying it's not really worth the effort because in the end it's unrealistic and only promotes long-ranged gameplay with a rifle that's absolutely fine without any attachments.

Nowhere has that indicated that they won't be making weapons specifically built for sniping.

all the more reason to add wind, realistic ballistics and mil/moa turrets.

Instead of setting artificial roles and pre determined elevation adjustments for the guns and having to worry about how the weapons might be used why not have the caliber of the gun and the accuracy of the rifle determine how a weapon is used.

all the more reason to add wind, realistic ballistics and mil/moa turrets.

Instead of setting artificial roles and pre determined elevation adjustments for the guns and having to worry about how the weapons might be used why not have the caliber of the gun and the accuracy of the rifle determine how a weapon is used.

You yourself have campaigned for the Mosin to be an ironsight-only rifle but suddenly you're in support of the double rifle being given a scope?

I'm not saying it SHOULDN'T have a scope, I'm just saying that there's no real good reason for it to have one. I'd rather they put a scope on the Sporter-22 and CR-527 first.

You yourself have campaigned for the Mosin to be an ironsight-only rifle but suddenly you're in support of the double rifle being given a scope?

I'm not saying it SHOULDN'T have a scope, I'm just saying that there's no real good reason for it to have one. I'd rather they put a scope on the Sporter-22 and CR-527 first.

I am in support of the weapons having realistic attachments that make sense.

I rather they separate the scope from the mount. Add scope rings that would work with the ruger 10/22 and the cz527 then also eventually add the specific scope mount that the b95 uses. 

As for the mosin I would prefer if they separate it into 2 weapons.

Either do a simple reskin of the mosin now and give it a straight bolt and have this version not take any optics. Then add a rare mosin that keeps its bent bolt and takes the pu scope.

Or

Add in a Carbine mosin and have it not take optics and then keep the current mosin in and make it rare.

I am in support of the weapons having realistic attachments that make sense.

I rather they separate the scope from the mount. Add scope rings that would work with the ruger 10/22 and the cz527 then also eventually add the specific scope mount that the b95 uses. 

As for the mosin I would prefer if they separate it into 2 weapons.

Either do a simple reskin of the mosin now and give it a straight bolt and have this version not take any optics. Then add a rare mosin that keeps its bent bolt and takes the pu scope.

Or

Add in a Carbine mosin and have it not take optics and then keep the current mosin in and make it rare.

Carbine Mosin would be next to completely pointless to add with the advent of the Obrez. There's also nothing really stopping you from putting a PU scope on an M38 or M44. Then, of course, there's no real reason to make two separate M91/30 variants just to accommodate the PU scope, so you may as well just have one that can accept the PU scope (Even straight-bolt Mosins can use the PU Scope, they're just not designed for it)

Does it feel unrealistic or nonsensical? Absolutely not.

And again, I've stated that I would be perfectly okay with a scope for the Blaze 95, I just don't see any inherent need for it, nor do I feel that it would be worth the time to create a realistic setup and separate mount for it. At that point, you'd be better of just picking another 7.62 rifle that doesn't need its own mounts. That's pretty much the argument that the devs are using - what's the point in spending time creating it when you have better & easier to access alternatives available?

The Sporter-22 and CR-527 I absolutely want a scope for (again, not a complete necessity, but it would be beneficial and not require any extreme custom mounts.)

Edited by Chaingunfighter

Well, from what I've seen online, the great majority of owners have mounted scopes on them. Is there a need gameplay-wise? No, it would be worse if anything. But "authenticity"-wise, ignoring any "balancing" concerns... yes, there should be a scope.

AHvTwZE.jpg?1

0O4tT06.jpg?1

zIa5jg3.jpg?1

Y9mMKQ4.jpg?1

70AHie7.jpg?1

0zQ518x.jpg?1

boCjofk.jpg?1

mlE5Tzl.jpg?1

eMwEmuo.jpg?1

pvoMN9Q.jpg?1

Well, from what I've seen online, the great majority of owners have mounted scopes on them. Is there a need gameplay-wise? No, it would be worse if anything. But "authenticity"-wise, ignoring any "balancing" concerns... yes, there should be a scope.

AHvTwZE.jpg?1

0O4tT06.jpg?1

zIa5jg3.jpg?1

Y9mMKQ4.jpg?1

70AHie7.jpg?1

0zQ518x.jpg?1

boCjofk.jpg?1

mlE5Tzl.jpg?1

eMwEmuo.jpg?1

pvoMN9Q.jpg?1

All the more reason why the b95 was such a strange addition to the game.

A 5k dollar hunting rifle surely they can afford a scope and a mount on it. There has to be a more realistic more common double shot rifle that is common in Russia right ?