d.walker43

some ideas for trading/cash

Hi guys, I have some ideas that relate to trading and such.

1: Cash. obviously it would not disappear during an apocalypse, everyone has at least a few bucks on them at pretty much any time. zombies would have it. you would find it in houses. In cars. storefronts. everywhere. would be good to implement cash, this way you could buy/sell things to people by means other than trading items. would also be a status symbol of sorts in your clan had a stockpile of cash hidden in their base.

2: trade window. sort of like in Runescape, have an option to "trade" with another player and a window pops up, each person puts whatever they wish to buy/sell in the window, and if they accept the trade hit confirm. once both players hit confirm, the trade is accepted and the items are transferred. maybe have a 2nd window that comes up asking to confirm again, to help prevent accidents and scamming. would make it a lot easier then the current system, which is pretty much drop an item and hope the other guy can find/pick it up.

3: will add more if I think of them or others suggest them.

Any feedback on these ideas is appreciated, thank you for your time.

Cash wouldn't be worth anything without a large organised group (like a state) backing it up. Without that, it is just bits of metal and paper.

Money is basically IOU's issued by a country.

• Like 2

I think money should be an ingame item, but it should only be what we value it to be.  IE it won't be just something we could trade with, you could use paper money as crafting material. IE a stack of 3 notes + stick = kindling.  Change + empty can = 'noise grenade' for distracting zombies or 'noise grenade' + string = sound tripwire.  Even able to make 'coin shot' with shotgun shells.

I think they were working on some sort of 'trade window' but of course it's a low priority right now.  IMO it's a little immersion breaking but hey, it's a friggen game.  Till we're in holodecks there's gonna be a certain level of immersion breakage.

• Like 1

There is no need for special trade mechanics since you can trade a single bullet for everything another player has.

Cash wouldn't be worth anything without a large organised group (like a state) backing it up. Without that, it is just bits of metal and paper.

Money is basically IOU's issued by a country.

Your right, it would not have a set amount it is worth, because of the reason you gave. but, it can still be determined by the players as to what it is worth. obviously some people will only want items in their trades, but others might trade some ammo for some food and some cash. there obviously would be no taxes or any of that, but it would still have its place in the world. it would give an alternative to trading away your items.

I think money should be an ingame item, but it should only be what we value it to be.  IE it won't be just something we could trade with, you could use paper money as crafting material. IE a stack of 3 notes + stick = kindling.  Change + empty can = 'noise grenade' for distracting zombies or 'noise grenade' + string = sound tripwire.  Even able to make 'coin shot' with shotgun shells.

I think they were working on some sort of 'trade window' but of course it's a low priority right now.  IMO it's a little immersion breaking but hey, it's a friggen game.  Till we're in holodecks there's gonna be a certain level of immersion breakage.

I agree with this, money wouldn't be purely for trading it could pretty much do the same things as plain old paper can too. and coins can be used for the things you suggested and more.

But everyone would have a different value on the money, and people wouldn't want to trade away their precious ammo for a couple pieces of scrap bills or coins.

Hi guys, I have some ideas that relate to trading and such.

1: Whiskey. obviously it would not disappear during an apocalypse, everyone has at least a few litres on them at pretty much any time. zombies would have it. you would find it in houses. In cars. storefronts. everywhere. would be good to implement Whiskey, this way you could buy/sell things to people by means other than trading items. would also be a status symbol of sorts in your clan had a stockpile of Whiskey hidden in their base.

2: trade window. sort of like in Runescape, have an option to "trade" with another player and a window pops up, each person puts whatever they wish to buy/sell in the window, and if they accept the trade hit confirm. once both players hit confirm, the trade is accepted and the items are transferred. maybe have a 2nd window that comes up asking to confirm again, to help prevent accidents and scamming. would make it a lot easier then the current system, which is pretty much drop an item and hope the other guy can find/pick it up.

3: will add more if I think of them or others suggest them.

Any feedback on these ideas is appreciated, thank you for your time.

Yes, whiskey for barter and consumption.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes

Yes, whiskey for barter and consumption.

I laughed out loud for the first time in a while when I read this, lol.

Well a trading window would be nice, considering how dodgy dropping items is.

as much as a trading window would be nice that's something that's gonna take time and going to make your character idol which makes it easier for someone who walks up on the trade by luck or accdent just to kill the both of you because u cant move or see whats going on around u

Edited by MalmborgRacing

People use money to buy food, water etc. tell me, what use is money to people who survive off the land, and from looting.