Sign in to follow this  
sinkatze

Which items are persistent?

Just wondering since Stable currently has Persistent on, I wanted to give it a try.
But since tents are in the game I've never had one, so I'm wondering if they really are necessary to keep your items after a reset. 
I remember on exp, items itself would stay after reset, but not sure what the current state is. I know its not recommended to just leave items laying around, because there will probably be a cap of items and the server will clean lose items.

But my question is, can I replace a tent with a backpack? Will they save after reset?

Thank you.

A backpack will despawn after server restart.

Thats boo worthy. 

I found that helmets, weapons, pretty much any loot will still be right where you dropped after restart. But that backpack news is depressing.. :(

• Like 1

Thats boo worthy. 

I found that helmets, weapons, pretty much any loot will still be right where you dropped after restart. But that backpack news is depressing.. :(

Maybe we need to run a test for science? I was under the impression all items within said backpack would despawn thus making it not usuable as a storage device on a "persistent server."

• Like 1

Hm.

I tested with some other buddies and what I know so far:

- some items stay after server-restart, some disappear

- tents become buggy. Like you can't pack it up after a restart, the items inside of the tent "disappear" with the restart, but re-appear, when you put another item in the tent (like tent has to "update" itself).

Oh, and the tent disappears when the server crashes or you make a manual restart. (I lost a tent again, because a server often crashes in an interval of ~20 minutes. Every 20 mins it had "No response for X seconds...")

So even on stable-servers, persistence is still pretty "experimental".

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 7

Hm.

I tested with some other buddies and what I know so far:

- some items stay after server-restart, some disappear

- tents become buggy. Like you can't pack it up after a restart, the items inside of the tent "disappear" with the restart, but re-appear, when you put another item in the tent (like tent has to "update" itself).

Oh, and the tent disappears when the server crashes or you make a manual restart. (I lost a tent again, because a server often crashes in an interval of ~20 minutes. Every 20 mins it had "No response for X seconds...")

So even on stable-servers, persistence is still pretty "experimental".

Thanks for all the details.

• Like 1

Backpacks will "sometimes" stay after a server restart, and can at least stay for a few days. The exact length is currently unknown. As an experiment I had 5 backpacks on the ground, two of which stayed after 24 hours. Containers like the small yellow protector case and first aid kits will persist, just as a backpack would. Gun's, at least rifles, will persist. I have hidden several rifles that have survived well over 24 hours.

As Roy has pointed out, tents, as of right now appear to be persisting with the unfortunate glitch of items not appearing in the tent. It may become impossible to fix a completely filled tent as there is no way to add something to the tent in order for it to display all of the items it currently holds. With that said the tent glitch may give tent owners a level of security. If the tent owner fills every tent slot except one and the person who stumbles onto the tent cannot see any of the contents they may give up on trying to obtain the tent and the item's within, as it will take up to 63 attempts to view the loot.

Edited by IIvIIozzie
  • Like 3

Backpacks will "sometimes" stay after a server restart, and can at least stay for a few days. The exact length is currently unknown. As an experiment I had 5 backpacks on the ground, two of which stayed after 24 hours. Containers like the small yellow protector case and first aid kits will persist, just as a backpack would. Gun's, at least rifles, will persist. I have hidden several rifles that have survived well over 24 hours.

As Roy has pointed out, tents, as of right now appear to be persisting with the unfortunate glitch of items not appearing in the tent. It may become impossible to fix a completely filled tent as there is no way to add something to the tent in order for it to display all of the items it currently holds. With that said the tent glitch may give tent owners a level of security. If the tent owner fills every tent slot except one and the person who stumbles onto the tent cannot see any of the contents they may give up on trying to obtain the tent and the item's within, as it will take up to 63 attempts to view the loot.

Thats an awesome idea, kind of like a password.

This is not true. I question why you are posting this as a RED.  This is so far NOT the case. You need to educate yourself as a member of community support before you post this information.

Edit: My tone is inappropriate for this. No excuses from me, Ill do better next time.

Edited by Judopunch
  • Like 3

-Tents stay

-Container-type items stay

-Vests, clothes (?) despawn if the server has too many items

-Some whole items like magazines etc seem to stay

• Like 2

This is not true. I question why you are posting this as a RED.  This is so far NOT the case. You need to educate yourself as a member of community support before you post this information.

Thanks for your valued input, I was aiming for his question of replacing a tent with a backpack as a storage device on a persistent server which has been touched upon. We are all human and make mistakes and as far as I have seen from testing and input seems to be inconsistent and I was under the impression through the current builds that said items specific would despawn and or all interior content of that item would despawn if left based on reports like this http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=17470.  Unfortunately we are not able to pick apart server files as one would with the mod until they are available and give an answer without simply testing it on a server to see what happens multiple times to receive a consistent outcome.  If you would like to post a video of your findings with consistency please do. My answer was based on my experiences which led me to the conclusion in addition to the builds listed issues of persistence corruption which has just recently been touched upon in the hotfix which means subject to change.  Being red does not always mean right it just means I am willing to help if ever and whenever when I can, if this has upset you please report me to the local authorities so they may properly lock me in a dungeon and deliver my lashings.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 5

Why don't you educate us?

• Like 3

he is posting as red as he cannot post as anything else, we can only advise on our own testing and reports on testing on persistence nothing more can be done, we do not develop the game or have input on the development of the game we can only give our impressions and help where we can, we are not always correct nor does all our solutions always work.

• Like 3

Testing as we speak, back pack is on the ground waiting for restart. Will report findings

• Like 2

he is posting as red as he cannot post as anything else, we can only advise on our own testing and reports on testing on persistence nothing more can be done, we do not develop the game or have input on the development of the game we can only give our impressions and help where we can, we are not always correct nor does all our solutions always work.

Welcome back you old bean.

• Like 2

Just tested this on a server advertised as "persistence enabled". I had a hunter backpack with a few items, canteen, kitchen knife rags etc. Left it on the ground started a fire and waited for restart. Lost session came back in and the backpack was gone. 

Thanks for your valued input, I was aiming for his question of replacing a tent with a backpack as a storage device on a persistent server which has been touched upon. We are all human and make mistakes and as far as I have seen from testing and input seems to be inconsistent and I was under the impression through the current builds that said items specific would despawn and or all interior content of that item would despawn if left based on reports like this http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=17470.  Unfortunately we are not able to pick apart server files as one would with the mod until they are available and give an answer without simply testing it on a server to see what happens multiple times to receive a consistent outcome.  If you would like to post a video of your findings with consistency please do. My answer was based on my experiences which led me to the conclusion in addition to the builds listed issues of persistence corruption which has just recently been touched upon in the hotfix which means subject to change.  Being red does not always mean right it just means I am willing to help if ever and whenever when I can, if this has upset you please report me to the local authorities so they may properly lock me in a dungeon and deliver my lashings.

I guess you were right REDMAN.

tumblr_m8bawlRF9p1rbz6m5o1_400.jpg

• Like 3

Just tested this on a server advertised as "persistence enabled". I had a hunter backpack with a few items, canteen, kitchen knife rags etc. Left it on the ground started a fire and waited for restart. Lost session came back in and the backpack was gone. 

I guess you were right REDMAN.

tumblr_m8bawlRF9p1rbz6m5o1_400.jpg

+1 for tar spits, love me some red man.  Now I must return to troubleshooting.....

IWZs6T2.gif

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 2

Fuck, now i don't have a backpack and I'm way up north  :facepalm:

• Like 1

I mostly play on my groups server which... Isn't very popular right now, most I've seen on the server is like 5-6 people. In any case I have a backpack on the server that has been persisting for over 4 days now, and I've logged off in a military base, came back 12 hours later and found the exact same items... Including a ruined backpack with a ruined clip and two ruined medkits inside. All this with the server being up 24/7 and restarts every 4 hours.

This kind of leads me to think it is a quantity thing. So like on a server that's constantly at 40/40 players with people constantly piling things up, dropping them, storing things, etc. it's much more likely to stress the server and cause it to start crashing or deleting items.... Just my guess anyway.

• Like 2

But my question is, can I replace a tent with a backpack? Will they save after reset?

Thank you.

Steak…I've tested this and gotten a very different result than you've suggested. I co-rent and master admin on a server via gameservers.c°m with persistence enabled.

I've had tested 2 tents in remote regions.

Tent #1:

4g3k0h.jpg

I left that space empty as there is a bug when you reaccess a tent, it appears empty until you drop something in it then all items appear.

First two restarts everything was fine and didn't move.

After the 3rd restart the Mosin moved up a row and ate the random items in the middle. Both vests were gone. Hunters backpack was still there but many of the contents were missing due to Tetris.

A few more restarts and the entire tent was gone.

Same result with Tent #2.

What is happeneing is a few things. Tetris is killing inventory, items inside the tent are flat out disappearing, as well as tents disappearing after a few restarts.

Gameservers.c°m initially had a rollback system to the last file save which was 24 hours. They changed this after a few days to two save files per day which is naturally 12 hour increments. Considering it takes 17-24 hours before staff responds to a ticket, you can kiss your tent and its entire contents goodbye. Persistence is completely broken right now and not worth the time it takes to get a tent, find a spot and load it up.

---

As far as loot lifetime with other objects…including backpacks, I've noticed a few things...

Crafted items a la fireplaces [unlit] disappear after two restarts. We had an event the Friday before last which was set at night. What we did was set up a bunch of unlit fireplaces around Novod Town Hall to prep the environment. We did a forced restart with one fireplace and it stayed so we left the rest which was about 8 total. On the 2nd restart [natural], they were all gone. We made more afterwards and got the same result after natural restarts…poof.

We had some lanterns in Town Hall during the event that stayed after several restarts, approx 4 [server was naturally restarting like the dickens]. We also had some laterns [approx 4] disappear after one natural restart pre-event when the unlit fireplaces were placed and disappeared.

Post-event we had approx 7 dead players backpacks stay where we took them off and persisted with contents intact after several restarts. Both natural and forced. Some players also left their backpacks before the event downstairs and they stayed in place, intact, with contents after several restarts.

This past Thursday we tested loot farming at the military base [server was bone dry everywhere, NWAF, all bases in the west, etc] east of Vybor a la mod style. Removed every item from the base into Mountain backpacks and dropped them about 100 meters south at the foothills of Veresnik. Items on the foothills as well as Mountain backpacks filled and not fully filled remained after several restarts. Loot also respawned inside the base, but not completely and mostly non-essential loot like books, compass, water bottle, etc. The loot respawned immediately and not after a restart. E.G.: cleaned out the bottom of the jail, went to the top…cleaned it out. By the time I got downstairs, loot had respawned downstairs.

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 8

Weyland, aside from restart count how long in hours did the backpacks stay on ground? Did any disappear or did you not wait longer than 24 hours before picking them up? Also, was there any items taken/removed/shuffled through the backpack while it was laying there?

Additionally, what was this event? A ritual sacrifice??