MIKEMONSTER

Dying of hunger wayyyyy too often

Earlier today I was starving and eventually found a can of spaghetti, clicked on 'eat all', started eating then went unconscious.

The rage was off the hook.

Not defending the game because the statuses are all messed up BUT after I died that time I played again and played against the game properly. I accepted the bugs (you are soaked immediately in rain, you are constantly getting cold, you can't seem to get energized) and it was like a glimpse into what the game could be. Proper survival. Now I'm not saying it's not fucked at the moment but the sense of achievement I got today getting all light green (it took multiple fires) was outstanding. Also pvp was the furthest thing from my mind. 

Again, I'm not making excuses or saying how it is is ok, just that the challenge of playing against these bugs gave me a better dayz experience than usual. Usually, I can gear up super fast and then it's off to pvp. Not today. I was standing in houses cursing the rain. I didn't even have a backpack most of the time.

I'd hate to be a new user starting today though! Jebus! The horror!  I did actually rage quit earlier but when I came back it was my best dayz session ever and I only ended up with a shotgun after something like 5 hours.

I actually laughed like mad just now when i died of starvation after eating 10 apples..with the "You slowly warming up" message after finding a nice coat... :lol:

But THAT is part of the Alpha, so i don't mind...I only rage like mad when i get KoS, because that isn't part of the "testing".

Edited by Cpanther

I actually laughed like mad just now when i died of starvation after eating 10 apples..with the "You slowly warming up" message after finding a nice coat... :lol:

But THAT is part of Alpha, so i don't mind...I only rage like mad when i get KoS, because that isn't part of the "testing".

The only way I warm up is with a fire. When I logged in last night (fully geared/pristine) my pal was saying "oh I think you have that zombie flu" because no matter what I was constantly getting colder.  Apples just tend to make me stuffed. I had stuffed/hungry/hydrated/cold all at the same time and last night I had the dark brown cold flicking on and off. Today I lit fires every twenty minutes once I got the gear and then when I finally got to full health I could maybe go an hour before being back to freezing. I tried every coat.

I pretty much role played that I had the zombie flu and that's why environmental factors/food/drink had such extreme or negligible effects. That's what made it a challenge.

Again, I'm not saying the game is right, just that I got a huge sense of accomplishment by 'beating' it in it's broken state.

The only way I warm up is with a fire. When I logged in last night (fully geared/pristine) my pal was saying "oh I think you have that zombie flu" because no matter what I was constantly getting colder.  Apples just tend to make me stuffed. I had stuffed/hungry/hydrated/cold all at the same time and last night I had the dark brown cold flicking on and off. Today I lit fires every twenty minutes once I got the gear and then when I finally got to full health I could maybe go an hour before being back to freezing. I tried every coat.

I pretty much role played that I had the zombie flu and that's why environmental factors/food/drink had such extreme or negligible effects. That's what made it a challenge.

Again, I'm not saying the game is right, just that I got a huge sense of accomplishment by 'beating' it in it's broken state.

Stuffed/hungry/hydrated/cold sounds like you were suffering from cold for a long time. Cold only seems to affect your energy level and not hydration which could lead to exactly that outcome. It sounds like instead of lighting fires every 20 minutes you should probably have lit one fire, sat by it for a while and slowly taken in calories until you got energized again or else you were just perpetuating the cycle by constantly being cold. You said you tried every coat, what other clothing options did you change to get warmer? If you lacked gloves or a warm hat, perhaps you could have tried letting your fire burn somewhere in or around a town and make small forays into it to get appropriate gear and warm up in between. Either way it seems like you got stuck in a nasty cycle by trying to treat the fire like you would a bandage to a bleeding wound. Ultimately that strategy is only going to result in a broken axe and dying either of hypothermia or starvation.

Edited by Ebrim

there's tons of food everywhere.  if you aren't finding it, you must be on a full server and going where the other 39 players have already been.  go somewhere they haven't all been.

Stuffed/hungry/hydrated/cold sounds like you were suffering from cold for a long time. Cold only seems to affect your energy level and not hydration which could lead to exactly that outcome. It sounds like instead of lighting fires every 20 minutes you should probably have lit one fire, sat by it for a while and slowly taken in calories until you got energized again or else you were just perpetuating the cycle by constantly being cold. You said you tried every coat, what other clothing options did you change to get warmer? If you lacked gloves or a warm hat, perhaps you could have tried letting your fire burn somewhere in or around a town and make small forays into it to get appropriate gear and warm up in between. Either way it seems like you got stuck in a nasty cycle by trying to treat the fire like you would a bandage to a bleeding wound. Ultimately that strategy is only going to result in a broken axe and dying either of hypothermia or starvation.

I spawn in hungry and instantly get the cooling thing. I didn't get to light a fire for about an hour because I didn't have matches/axe. Last night I was playing with a pal and he was sometimes cooling sometimes warming up but I was only every cooling. It's a bug and it's not the same for everyone. We had a thermometer last night and we did some checks and I was cooling down all the time and he wasn't. This was when we were both fully geared (in fact I had slightly better gear.)

I'm almost 600 hours in. I was wearing gloves, coat, wooly hat etc. I sit by the fire and eat. Not saying I'm an expert but I'm not running around in the water in my underpants wondering why I've got a cold or whatever. I found the cold/hungry/thirst trivial a worry until the hotfix to .49

I think we have to accept it's bugged but as I said I got a bigger sense of accomplishment beating the bugged game.

Edited by freethink

Yeah I've died twice in a row from starving now it's far too difficult to get sufficient food, of course it shouldn't be easy but it shouldn't be so 50/50.

Like I searched a whole mostly unlooted town, no axes or anything to open a can with of which I found like 5.

We need to at least be able to smash them open on the ground and get no more than 25% of the food inside for one thing.

Cans should be way rarer but do more for you too who can eat more than 3 cans of beans and still be hungry? Running around a lot doesn't mean you suddenly have an empty stomach, you'd be fatigued not starving to death.

Between that and overpowered zombies it's way too hard to survive right now, meanwhile people who've been geared for months have easy sailing >.>

No energized bar, just plain which I think could've lasted longer. As far as I know you can survive for several days without food.

It's a game.

• Like 1

I like my healthy status. It never left me since it was implemented, months ago. I can't wait for bears and wolves, and more zombies, and more threats ("real" ones, not hackers...) because right now I can avoid being killed, by bugs with workaround for ladders and such, I can avoid being killed by players with moving with caution and ninja skills ( :rolleyes: ) , and never , ever, was I killed unintentionally by a zombie. 

The weather system affecting players is getting better, and with normal polishing it'll get as the game progress, it's gonna make the whole experience a lot more immersive for me. I like it.

Food and starvation. I don't know how to starve, as "I feel completely full." most of the time.

Good luck on your quest for :beans: ! (Although rice might help you more in your situation. When freshly spawned, if I find a bag of race and eat it all, I get pale energized, and a bit thirsty...)

I have never died from hunger. Ever.

Just last week I got into a firefight at the NWAF.. I got hit, and fresh spawned in Berezino. So I ran, in the rain, with zero looting and no drinking or eating straight to the NWAF. 

I got there in time to recover my gear, gain some more from the people I had taken out with me (traded deaths with the last guy) and while I was seeing all grey and damn near dead by the time I finished grabbing all the loot (about an hour had passed now with no eating or drinking from a fresh spawn and running through the rain all the way to the nwaf from east coast) within the next hour I was back to full health. Several Zucchinis, bags of rice, and tons of water.. with a final saline bag on top to cap it off. 

I dont get why some people find it so hard to survive the base game? Players and bugs.. thats all that kills me. I really dont get it. 

• Like 4

I like my healthy status. It never left me since it was implemented, months ago. I can't wait for bears and wolves, and more zombies, and more threats ("real" ones, not hackers...) because right now I can avoid being killed, by bugs with workaround for ladders and such, I can avoid being killed by players with moving with caution and ninja skills ( :rolleyes: ) , and never , ever, was I killed unintentionally by a zombie.

The weather system affecting players is getting better, and with normal polishing it'll get as the game progress, it's gonna make the whole experience a lot more immersive for me. I like it.

Food and starvation. I don't know how to starve, as "I feel completely full." most of the time.

Good luck on your quest for :beans: ! (Although rice might help you more in your situation. When freshly spawned, if I find a bag of race and eat it all, I get pale energized, and a bit thirsty...)

You haven't been hit by a zombie in months? You don't PVP? Haven't been in a fire station or jail and randomly broken your legs? All the way through .48's broken melee the infected never got you even ONCE?!

What do you do in your play sessions? Lol.

I bow to you, Master of DayZ.

#iamyourstocommand

#sogosu

• Like 1

To the OP; maybe you could stop keeping that SHIFT key pressed all the time and maybe eat something instead of moaning about how miserably you died.

I spawn in hungry and instantly get the cooling thing. I didn't get to light a fire for about an hour because I didn't have matches/axe. Last night I was playing with a pal and he was sometimes cooling sometimes warming up but I was only every cooling. It's a bug and it's not the same for everyone. We had a thermometer last night and we did some checks and I was cooling down all the time and he wasn't. This was when we were both fully geared (in fact I had slightly better gear.)

I'm almost 600 hours in. I was wearing gloves, coat, wooly hat etc. I sit by the fire and eat. Not saying I'm an expert but I'm not running around in the water in my underpants wondering why I've got a cold or whatever. I found the cold/hungry/thirst trivial a worry until the hotfix to .49

I think we have to accept it's bugged but as I said I got a bigger sense of accomplishment beating the bugged game.

That's fair, I was actually doing some tests just now and I'm going to post about them in the weather thread. It's definitely bugged, but bugged in a weird weird way.

SkyPig, on 26 Sept 2014 - 1:19 PM, said:

how far did you run in that hour though?

it took me 6 cans and 2 bananas to get energized when I last played

So you had to eat enough food to make your stomach rupture to get energized.

That's fair, I was actually doing some tests just now and I'm going to post about them in the weather thread. It's definitely bugged, but bugged in a weird weird way.

Once I verified my cache it seemed to mostly go away but I notice I've been on two different servers tonight and on the first I don't see my breath but on the second I do. In either case it's back to being a trivial thing. I don't need fires whereas earlier today I would've died without them.

You haven't been hit by a zombie in months? You don't PVP? Haven't been in a fire station or jail and randomly broken your legs? All the way through .48's broken melee the infected never got you even ONCE?!

#iamyourstocommand

#sogosu

I've been hit by zombies, but not killed by any. 75% of the time they don't even make me bleed, but most of the time they damage whatever vest I have on. I don't PVP. I've stalked a lot of players without them ever knowing I was there. I don't shoot unless I really have to. Even with the broken 0.48 melee system. I hunt, fish, stalk ( :lol: ) and run around the entire map from the NW corner to the SE, looking for specific items, giving myself some goals to accomplish. Was very lucky with all the ladders I climb. And, I take thousands of screenshots... ( 536 hrs, 8200 screenshots)

Might not be the play style of most players, but it suits me fine. B)

:beans:  to you Grimey Rick.

• Like 2

Once I verified my cache it seemed to mostly go away but I notice I've been on two different servers tonight and on the first I don't see my breath but on the second I do. In either case it's back to being a trivial thing. I don't need fires whereas earlier today I would've died without them.

Yeah, some amount of that is different ambient weather effects on different servers. Or it could be that now you're a frozen zombie like I was. It's too bad we don't all spawn with thermometers to make testing this easier.

So you had to eat enough food to make your stomach rupture to get energized.

yeah pretty much lol

just chalking it up to alpha though

I feel like one would have to purposely try to die from hunger in order for it to happen.  Brick arch house, piano house, pubs, shelf house, are busting with food.  Busting!  Stop looking for food in high traffic areas.  Stop looking for food in places where there usually isn't any.  Apple harvesting takes to long since the spam F fix.  Get off the coast.

• Like 2

#iamyourstocommand

#sogosu

I've never been killed by infected either. Hit by them, yes, but never killed.

That'd be embarrassing.

Never broken my legs on or been killed by a ladder/stairs either. I'm beginning to think it's a huge joke that I'm not in on.  :P

Edited by solodude23

I've never been killed by infected either. Hit by them, yes, but never killed.

That'd be embarrassing.

Never broken my legs on or been killed by a ladder/stairs either. I'm beginning to think it's a huge joke that I'm not in on. :P

I didn't say killed, I said hit. I could've made that clearer, I guess. I just found it amazing that someone had NEVER lost their healthy status since the update they added the healthy status. ;)

• Like 1

I run around the entire map from the NW corner to the SE, looking for specific items, ..I take thousands of screenshots... ( 536 hrs, 8200 screenshots)

Might not be the play style of most players, but it suits me fine. B)

So...

You're a tourist?   ;)

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1