MIKEMONSTER

Dying of hunger wayyyyy too often

I ate 3 cans of food, within one hour I starved to death.. RAGERAGERAGERAGE!!! Just as I opened the can of peaches my new friend had handed me, I fall to the ground - you are unconscious (the guy who I had just met is like "wtf is going on why'd you die"). I'm screaming for him to feed me those damn peaches, just to find out that VOIP doesn't work whilst unconcious (which I do not mind) - you are dead.

Ok so who else thinks that I should've lived a little longer, remember, I ate 3 cans of food less than one our before I "starved to death". This game is a game that tries to bring realism to gaming by working on real time, allowing for the weather to actually affect you and making death swift and brutal. Now why, if realism is soooo important can't they also make the time it takes to starve realistic too. 

how far did you run in that hour though?

it took me 6 cans and 2 bananas to get energized when I last played

I ate 3 cans of food, within one hour I starved to death.. RAGERAGERAGERAGE!!! Just as I opened the can of peaches my new friend had handed me, I fall to the ground - you are unconscious (the guy who I had just met is like "wtf is going on why'd you die"). I'm screaming for him to feed me those damn peaches, just to find out that VOIP doesn't work whilst unconcious (which I do not mind) - you are dead.

Ok so who else thinks that I should've lived a little longer, remember, I ate 3 cans of food less than one our before I "starved to death". This game is a game that tries to bring realism to gaming by working on real time, allowing for the weather to actually affect you and making death swift and brutal. Now why, if realism is soooo important can't they also make the time it takes to starve realistic too. 

As I recall, a lot of things (temperature, weather, etc) have been fucked up since the last hotfix. Maybe the food gauge is as well? 3 cans of food should be enough to last you a while. Did you have the "energized" bar on your status screen? 

Berenzino to the shipwreck, met a friendly who had been stalking me, who was shot at the ship. Searched the ship for about 30 minutes praying that the murderer wouldn't find me. Eventually ran back to Berenzino because my hunger was red. When I got there I met a dude who helped me find those peaches, which would've saved my life if I had them 30 seconds earlier.

Does the fact that I had hypothermia mean anything?

I got it on the way back to Berenzino.

No energized bar, just plain which I think could've lasted longer. As far as I know you can survive for several days without food.

I think apples and berries still a bit bugged...i ate about 10 apples just now and lots of berries.. and is like i was eating nothing. 

Edited by Cpanther

i declare that this thread needs the firing squad

Edited by DURRHUNTER
  • Like 1

The time it takes to starve has to be balanced between gameplay and realism, just as all other mechanics, because it could otherwise take weeks to starve to death. You may also notice that a splint instantly fixes a broken limb and bandages magically fix bullet wounds, yet you aren't concerned about these things lacking realism. There must be balance. 

That being said, it's a work in progress and there are many variables. For example, if you're cold your body needs to burn more calories in order to maintain your body temperature. However, I must say that I've never starved to death within an hour of eating three cans of food so maybe this is an accident/bug introduced with the hotfix.

EDIT:

Berenzino to the shipwreck, met a friendly who had been stalking me, who was shot at the ship. Searched the ship for about 30 minutes praying that the murderer wouldn't find me. Eventually ran back to Berenzino because my hunger was red. When I got there I met a dude who helped me find those peaches, which would've saved my life if I had them 30 seconds earlier.

Yes, the fact that you had hypothermia plays a huge factor. The hypothermia was causing your character to deplete energy much faster than normal. But from the way you phrased it, you ate a can of peaches before dying, which would indicate that you died of hypothermia rather than hunger.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 3

I think apples and berries still a bit bugged...i ate about 10 apples just now and lots of berries.. and is like i was eating nothing. 

yeah my friend foraged like crazy yesterday, must've eaten at least as much, and i ate 2 cans of food and i'm pretty sure i was much better off.

I don't get how you can starve to death at the moment. Seriously. There is food like EVERYWHERE.

Looking forward to the whine-wars once this game actually becomes a survival game and as hard as it's supposed to be...

• Like 9

Yeah you get hypothermia and i think your food gauge for hunger runs much faster also you NEED to find dry clothing first thats priority number one as well as getting to dry sources to wring your clothing out. When you dont wring your clothing off from rain water you can get hypothermia much easier.

Edited by Deathlove

yeah my friend foraged like crazy yesterday, must've eaten at least as much, and i ate 2 cans of food and i'm pretty sure i was much better off.

Yeah, cans full you up very quick....but that apples... and that berries... come on.. they should have "some" nutritional value.

umm its likely the reason you died and not the hunger.

why do you people spend so much time in spawnville anyway? get off the coast and find a coat (barns are a great place to look for clothes) pick some apples or berries and drink some water from anywhere, get your hydration and energy to light green then go back to play in spawnville. you will have a much better experience.

• Like 1

EDIT:

Yes, the fact that you had hypothermia plays a huge factor. The hypothermia was causing your character to deplete energy much faster than normal. But from the way you phrased it, you ate a can of peaches before dying, which would indicate that you died of hypothermia rather than hunger.

It does both i noticed.

Thing is I was at spawned at Berenzino which is like the most visited town in Chernarus in South Africa which means that the food is ALWAYS looted. Thing is, I would like to be able to run around for at LEAST five hours from no warning to starvation. I understand that balance is important but if i'm going to die like THAT it's a little ridiculous.

Yeah, cans full you up very quick....but that apples... and that berries... come on.. they should have "some" nutritional value.

You can see that they do if as a fresh spawn the first thing you do is harvest some berries or an apple or two you'll lose the original hunger status.

Thing is I was at spawned at Berenzino which is like the most visited town in Chernarus in South Africa which means that the food is ALWAYS looted. Thing is, I would like to be able to run around for at LEAST five hours from no warning to starvation. I understand that balance is important but if i'm going to die like THAT it's a little ridiculous.

But you realize that you spawn hungry, right? You don't spawn energized as if you've been eating full meals for weeks hence why you can't last long without food. You are on the brink of starving and you MUST find food in order to begin getting energized. But like I said, it sounds more like you died of hypothermia than starvation.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 1

You can see that they do if as a fresh spawn the first thing you do is harvest some berries or an apple or two you'll lose the original hunger status.

No with me it doesn't..in fact, i don't even bother with apples any more... is faster to just look for cans. 

I died by hunger in the Mod once.....Never ever erver in the SA. I think your hunger and the energy and blood los of Hypothermia together killed you. You loos enegy and blood per sek when hypothermic!

• Like 1

But you realize that you spawn hungry, right? You don't spawn energized as if you've been eating full meals for weeks hence why you can't last long without food. You are on the brink of starving and you MUST find food in order to begin getting energized. But like I said, it sounds more like you died of hypothermia than starvation.

I ate 3 cans of food after spawning (which took some time to find)

I ate 3 cans of food after spawning (which took some time to find)

It takes about 4-5 cans to full yourself up...but you shouldn't died after 3 cans, i think "some" things are bugged for some people...like for example, apples do nothing to me, but it does to other people.

Edited by Cpanther

Earlier today I was starving and eventually found a can of spaghetti, clicked on 'eat all', started eating then went unconscious.

The rage was off the hook.

Not defending the game because the statuses are all messed up BUT after I died that time I played again and played against the game properly. I accepted the bugs (you are soaked immediately in rain, you are constantly getting cold, you can't seem to get energized) and it was like a glimpse into what the game could be. Proper survival.  I kind of imagined the zombie virus was something everyone had and that was the game. Fight off the virus and get healthy. Now I'm not saying it's not fucked at the moment but the sense of achievement I got today getting all light green (it took multiple fires) was outstanding. Also pvp was the furthest thing from my mind. 

Again, I'm not making excuses or saying how it is is ok, just that the challenge of playing against these bugs gave me a better dayz experience than usual. Usually, I can gear up super fast and then it's off to pvp. Not today. I was standing in houses cursing the rain. I didn't even have a backpack most of the time.

I'd hate to be a new user starting today though! Jebus! The horror!  I did actually rage quit earlier but when I came back it was my best dayz session ever and I only ended up with a shotgun after something like 5 hours.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1