Tatanko

Tatanko's Guide to Screenshots v4.0

Well, as I discussed in the guide at one point, I don't actually run my game looking like this 24/7. My 3 year old Macbook Pro would not be able to handle that. Actually, it does do okay at those settings out in open areas where it doesn't need to render a million different things, but generally speaking I keep myself at more "medium" settings when I'm actually playing in order to maintain a more desirable FPS.

I would absolutely love to build a dedicated gaming rig for these kinds of things though, I just can't afford to do it right now. Tax return season, maybe? :)

Haha yeah the tax return last year is how i paid for my CPU and GPU! Got my eye on a second SSD for my rig now too - 1TB Samsung EVO for 400euro, not a bad deal!

Getting back to topic, how do you run DayZ on your Mac? A guy at work has a macbook pro too but he wasn't able to get DayZ, and he really wants to play!

BTW Great guide!

Haha yeah the tax return last year is how i paid for my CPU and GPU! Got my eye on a second SSD for my rig now too - 1TB Samsung EVO for 400euro, not a bad deal!

Getting back to topic, how do you run DayZ on your Mac? A guy at work has a macbook pro too but he wasn't able to get DayZ, and he really wants to play!

BTW Great guide!

Thanks!

I run Windows 7 via Boot Camp and play that way. It's very power-hungry and generates a lot of heat that way though, the dedicated GPU runs all the time when you're in Boot Camp and the laptop doesn't do the best job of getting rid of heat.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I run Windows 7 via Boot Camp and play that way. It's very power-hungry and generates a lot of heat that way though, the dedicated GPU runs all the time when you're in Boot Camp and the laptop doesn't do the best job of getting rid of heat.

np!

ah boot camp, i'll let him know! Thanks a million buddy

np!

ah boot camp, i'll let him know! Thanks a million buddy

You're welcome, glad I could help.

I plan on building a dedicated gaming PC with part of my tax return at the end of next month, so I'll be able to create even better screenshots! (and in a more "normal" resolution, too). Ideally I'll be running the game in 2K. I'd also like to get into editing a little bit so I can create something closer to art out of these screenshots. Wallpaper maybe?

Nice shots and tutorial.

I like to think I have some natural talent behind the lens and I used to really enjoy photography in real life.

I took this screenshot last night because HolidayZ.

kDWrfTn.jpg

• Like 2

I took this screenshot last night because HolidayZ.

You didn't even stop and decorate it?? ;)

• Like 2

So... how do you take a screenshot? This is a guide on screenshots right? I've just been using MS Paint.

Some beautiful screenshots you've taken though.

So... how do you take a screenshot? This is a guide on screenshots right? I've just been using MS Paint.

Some beautiful screenshots you've taken though.

First of all, thank you!

As to your question: I guess I hadn't even thought about that part :p By default, if you have the Steam overlay enabled, it's the F12 key to take a screenshot. It then stores all of your screenshots in a particular folder in the Steam directory on your hard drive. I can't speak for editing because I don't edit my screenshots, but it is something I need to re-learn how to do sometime soon.

Finally, someone who shares my screenshot fetish...

Finally, someone who shares my screenshot fetish...

It's what I live for  :lol:

Oddly enough, this is the first game I've ever really cared to take pictures of. It's just such a unique experience that it begs to be documented and shared.

First of all, thank you!

As to your question: I guess I hadn't even thought about that part :P By default, if you have the Steam overlay enabled, it's the F12 key to take a screenshot. It then stores all of your screenshots in a particular folder in the Steam directory on your hard drive. I can't speak for editing because I don't edit my screenshots, but it is something I need to re-learn how to do sometime soon.

Ah, I don't believe I have that enabled. I'm actually not very steam savvy, to me its just some program that annoyingly runs in the background while I play games. I suppose they will add screenshot ability to the game at some point.

Edited by Chzy

The guide has been updated to version 1.1. There were some changes made to the Weather/Lighting and Noise sections of the guide that reflect some things I've learned in my time since writing this guide originally, and also some updates due to minor changes in the game since then.

Version 1.5 will be coming in the next few weeks with brand new pictures and possibly some new sections :)

Edited by Tatanko

Version 1.5 is now up with all-new screenshots for the guide.

I just recently updated the guide to screenshots that I originally posted back in September, and many of the new screenshots that I used to update the guide were simply re-shoots of the "classic" screenshots I originally used back in September. When I wrote that guide, I thought I was pretty okay at taking screenshots, but fully admitted that the more you do the better you'll get. In the 7 months since I originally posted the guide, not only has my technique improved but I have also switched from playing on a Macbook to a dedicated powerhouse desktop PC. You'll notice a slight change in settings as well as a difference in image resolution.

All pairs of pictures will be posted with the OLD one on the first and the NEW one second. Enjoy the comparison! :)

"The Barns at Sinistok"

qlWJw9wl.jpg

TN91Ceal.jpg

-------------------

"The Fields of Novy Sobor"

gZ334G2l.jpg

LKUWaIMl.jpg

-------------------

"The Scarecrow"

hRLj7uZl.jpg

FgoW76ul.jpg

-------------------

"The Water Pump at Pik Kozlova"

2ATjyGll.jpg

bY1ZX9Rl.jpg

-------------------

"The Fields of Chernogorsk"

FxSXfZdl.jpg

4q0MVTjl.jpg

-------------------

"The Bridge at Cap Golova"

JJTr69ml.jpg

WWmBzb2l.jpg

-------------------

"The Barn at Chernogorsk"

KPAWjKXl.jpg

2tvCkxil.jpg

• Like 6

Now you "aim" higher, there is more sky in pictures now.

Good observation!

Guide is now up to version 1.6. A few new pictures and many small updates to the guide itself :)

Just did a major overhaul that brought the guide to version 2.0! I'm very proud of what this guide has evolved into, and I want to thank everyone who has given me feedback to help improve it.

Added new categories for "How to Take a Screenshot" and "Improvise." The "Settings", "Balance", and outro sections were all majorly updated as well and I added a few new pictures.

After receiving a lot of requests for it, I've added an "Advanced Configuration" section to the guide. Enjoy!

Never satisfied, I've added another section to the guide: "Depth." I've also added a cool trick to the "Lighting & Weather" section.

On the one year anniversary of the guide, I bring you a hugely revamped document with new "Field of View" and "Setting the Scene" sections as well as new pictures and a whole lot more. Enjoy :)

• Like 2

I have another big update in the form of v3.5 B)  This time around, I've added a section for Camera Perspective and massively expanded the Video Settings section. Get to it!

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 1

Perhaps the biggest update this guide has ever seen is now live: v4.0! Much of the guide has been rewritten from scratch, all of the pictures are new, and two new sections have been added ("Capturing the Action" and "Touch-Up Editing"). The guide is also now current to 0.61/0.62.

• Like 2

Amazing guide mate. Amazing for real.

22 hours ago, jostino said:

Amazing guide mate. Amazing for real.

Thanks! Hopefully it's helpful.