Sign in to follow this  
AP_Norris

DayZ map development

Okay so like in the title this thread is about the development of the dayZ map, I would like to discuss with you the future of the map and possible points of gameplay interest. As many of you may know the North is the main area that has been planned on getting developed. While I think this is great and gives more to do there than loot the NWAF I think it leaves little reason to return to set up in other areas.

I believe some additions to the coast are needed, possibly islands to give boats a good use compared to the gimmick they were in the mod. A separate landmass, ships anchored offshore rocking slowly in the waves. Oil rigs.

Here is the river idea, not my favourite but this is what the map is based off from real life.

http://i.imgur.com/Mzz1mnh.gif

Here is my personal favourite, it has a separate landmass. A few islands could be dotted around, the boats and oil rigs if you like those ideas too.

http://s23.postimg.org/m91cdnbez/Chernarus_Podagorsk_sa.jpg

Maybe you think the additions to the North are enough? Please share with me your opinion.

I know a lot is already planned, e.g several more large towns. Then one by one the ones we already had will be redone.

But don't you think to really zest up the map, there needs to be several directions you can go for endgame to diversify the gameplay?

That there needs to be landmass over water to make boats and helicopters useful?

I certainly do like Podagorsk and would like to hear opinions on the idea.

Regards AP_Norris

• Like 9

The map development is currently (only) focusing on the north of the map because it used to be completly empty. After the north is finished, the "old" parts of the map will be reworked too. I think SenChi said a while ago that he wasn't happy with Elektro and Cherno and that those old citys will get complete overhauls including new and unique buildings, too (once the north is finished). Also several "special" locations have been confirmed, and people had a TON of good ideas (abandoned amusement park, soccer stadium, government buildings, big shipyard, oilrig, aircraft carrier...).

The problem with expanding the map ("new landmass") has already been discussed several times. The bottom line is, that even if it might not be completly impossible, it would be at least very, very hard to expand the map. Suggestions like your second picture are most likely not going to happen, allthough it would be completly possible to add new (small) islands and expand the land into the ocean to a certain degree.

I personally am completly fine with not making Chernarus bigger. I would like to see other maps instead, as big as Chernarus, but with a different setting, e.g.:

• an "american" map, based on the (mostly rural) northern part of the US, with great lakes, cities looking like chicago, small farms etc. 
  • an "exotic" map, with white beaches, palmtress, swamps and mosquitos. Propably not one big landmass big several larger islands (landscape like Florida, Louisiana & Co., Bahamas, carribean). The "TRUE BLOOD" setting most likely... 
  • a middle east/african style desert map (Takistan look-alike). With sand, rocks and more sand. Oilfields and very little vegetation. Very limited water ressources. And a LOT of HEAT. 
  • Some kind of snowy winter map. Either a winter-version of Chernarus or a completly new map. "Austria" for example, gives nice options for unique buildings and architecture... or scandinavia, how about norway or finland? Large mountains, a lot of nature and fewer houses adn only two or three big cities.

So you have different settings to choose from, propably with different loot tables (new weapons and items), other options ("Search for Coconuts"), different dangers (Crocodiles instead of wolves) and so on.

Edited by DerDuderich
  • Like 4

Yeah. I think this is a good idea. I imagine they could put some pretty exciting things out at see like an aircraft carrier maybe. Now that I'd get in a boat to go and loot. 

• Like 1

You had me at oil rigs...

Okay, thankyou.

What else do you think would be a likely find in the water? Small randomly generated boats with skeletons of people inside that died of exposure from elements, rough storms and scorching heat, lack on drinkable water, lack of fish biting. Just floating out in the sea.

Larger boats, with zombies inside, piling up outside on the decks as they hear your motor churning through the water.

Look in the boat, find some books, clothes, maybe a flaregun, fishing rod.

sniperoo

Yes, some nice idea.

Different setting would be great, although I see the mod community being more likely to add such things.

A snowy map with different seasons would be great too.

But please read the last few lines of my post, it is pretty much exactly the start of yours.

• Like 1

Map expansion, including Islands were discussed in last weeks Dev Stream...

I guess you missed it !

I am all for more rivers. Otherwise boats would simply be a waist of resources for both the players and the dev team

I liked this map very much but I dont think they wıll change map

http://s23.postimg.o...odagorsk_sa.jpg

Dean said at roadmap, boats will be in game. But with current map there is no point to have boat. Yes you can use boats to travel north to south from seaside but instead of finding boat parts and make it work, it will be more easy to find bike or small veichles. Current map is so simple and boring.

Edited by BugZ
  • Like 2

I guess you missed it !

Oh, would you be so kind as to maybe paraphrase what others missed? Or are you just going to wag your finger at us and say 'na-na-na-boo-boo'?

Oh, would you be so kind as to maybe paraphrase what others missed? Or are you just going to wag your finger at us and say 'na-na-na-boo-boo'?

A bit of wagging in form of promotion for the Dev Streams, lol.

OK,,, inland mass has reached limits.

Possibility of Islands was discussed but no certainties evoked.

Utes was removed because deemed not fitting the scenario.

iirc...

• Like 2

A bit of wagging in form of promotion for the Dev Streams, lol.

I watched the last Dev stream and to be honest, I didn't like it too much. I think it's great that the devs try to be in touch with the community, I really apprechiate their effort, but I think a stream is the wrong way.

Why?

Basically because a stream is not "searchable" like a text document. Either you watch the whole 60+ minutes stream, or you don't. And if you don't watch it all, you miss important information. Now the thing is, 90% of what is said in there has been said 100 times before and because stupid people ask the same stupid question(s) over and over again (When will vehicles come? What vehicle will come? What color? When? Will I be able to attach a big-massacre-multi-chaingun to it?) a lot of what is said in there is... boring and important or new questions are ignored between all the flaming...

Now if I'm looking for a special piece of information (e.g.: What did devs say about the current issues with doors not syncing correctly) there is no way for me to search the stream or quickjump to the point where they talk about it.

Or if I forgot and want to look up something that was said in a stream weeks ago, I have no way to figure out when exactly in what stream it was.

As I said, I really apprechiate how streams lets us take part in the development, but I personally would prefer a "traditional" Q&A, where the community can send in questions as plain text and the devs respond in text. (kinda like Blizzards blueposts)...

Edited by DerDuderich
  • Like 5

I agree to a certain extent and unless there is a saved video of the whole stream there is no way of checking back (hence the iirc).

There is a highlight version of the stream available but to be quite honest I've no idea if the discussion on map expansion is included.

Anyhow go to 01.45 for pure awesome...

http://www.twitch.tv/dayz/b/570100057?t=1h4m30s

I guess you missed it !

I've never watched a stream, firstly because my ipad doesn't have twitch.

And I usually use my ipad for just surfing.

As I said, I really apprechiate how streams lets us take part in the development, but I personally would prefer a "traditional" Q&A, where the community can send in questions as plain text and the devs respond in text. (kinda like Blizzards blueposts)...

They have a reddit and a tumblr.  I don't use reddit, but their tumblr is here. They post development news and announcements every week.

I know a lot is already planned, e.g several more large towns. Then one by one the ones we already had will be redone.

As a matter of fact, there are at least 14 more towns to be added to the game. Those are just what we know of, I'm sure there's a possibility for that number to change. All of them are in the North. I'm more excited about the overhaul of the South though!

Also several "special" locations have been confirmed, and people had a TON of good ideas (abandoned amusement park, soccer stadium, government buildings, big shipyard, oilrig, aircraft carrier...).

Weyland and I have been discussing some goings-on with "hidden" development of the map. I think you'd be a valuable addition to the conversation :) I like your ideas for new maps, too... they largely mirror my own thoughts.

Basically because a stream is not "searchable" like a text document. Either you watch the whole 60+ minutes stream, or you don't. And if you don't watch it all, you miss important information.

That's basically the reason I can't be bothered to watch them. That, and I doubt they would keep my attention. I'm not the kind of person who watches a lot of YouTube videos, so it's no surprise that I don't watch game streams either haha.

• Like 2

I can't seem to get that old stream on mobile, what so they say about islands if anybody had watched?

I find the current map size to be reasonable when consider vehicles, I'm not interested in seeing it expanded. What I would like to see is unique buildings in every town, at least one in the small towns.These buildings could have some unique incentives, giving players more reason to explore. For example, some items only spawn in the unique building of one town or the % chance x item spawns is far greater than other area's x item spawns.

Of course also waiting on mod tools.

an "american" map, based on the (mostly rural) northern part of the US, with great lakes, cities looking like chicago, small farms etc.

I would love this idea, being my home town and all.

What about oil rigs on sea, you should only be able to get to them if you have a boat, helicopter (once they added these vehicles) or a v3s submarine. The oil rigs should'nt contain much loot but they would be a good place to build your base.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

Sure, I don't see why not, just make sure theirs a ton of rails, cause I don't want this to be a repeat of the damned split boat. (Plus I want to be able to swim there xD)

What about oil rigs on sea, you should only be able to get to them if you have a boat, helicopter (once they added these vehicles) or a v3s submarine. The oil rigs should'nt contain much loot but they would be a good place to build your base.

What do you guys think?

Merged.

I hope the Map will expand to this size.

Large rivers, the big Novigrad town and Utes as a island near Chernarus.

arma_2_island_locations.jpg

if we can drown, why not have scuba gear and have underwater wrecks - collect the bells... a capsized ship with air pockets, sunk submarines, ancient shipwrecks with pottery and cannons that can be lifted (bags+rope+scuba tank air, floats to surface, need to be in boat to take into hands) and fitted to your base, improvised cannon balls and powder would be cool.

if we can drown, why not have scuba gear and have underwater wrecks - collect the bells... a capsized ship with air pockets, sunk submarines, ancient shipwrecks with pottery and cannons that can be lifted (bags+rope+scuba tank air, floats to surface, need to be in boat to take into hands) and fitted to your base, improvised cannon balls and powder would be cool.

so something like this?

728691.jpg