Mookie (original)

Heli crash sites

I don't believe that either map has the exact locations of all heli crashes because I have found two heli crashes that are not located on the old or new map. One is located south of Zelenogorsk on the hill in between the gas station and the white and red barn. The other is to the left and in the field of the southern barrack at NWAF. Both were UH-60 so maybe they have their own other areas of spawning.

• Like 1

I don't believe that either map has the exact locations of all heli crashes because I have found two heli crashes that are not located on the old or new map. One is located south of Zelenogorsk on the hill in between the gas station and the white and red barn. The other is to the left and in the field of the southern barrack at NWAF. Both were UH-60 so maybe they have their own other areas of spawning.

We should have a post where players mark on the map where they found their downed choppers, and which one was it to have an updated look at it. Since the devs said they made some changes to them, but didn't specify which ones, without tests there's no way to confirm those maps.(They are supposed to be taken from game files, but I have no idea which one.)

Thanks for that updated map Odin. I've just found an M4 after a solid 72 hours of crash site running. It was psychologically demanding work, to put it mildly. I do not expect that I will get anywhere near the one man army that I was in 0.48 - with four frags, two flashbangs (all pristine), seven 60 round mags, and a beautiful M4 with every pristine attachment known, and just a choice of whether I wanted things green or black...

I think we just have to accept that it's harder to find automatic weapons in 0.49. For a while I gave up on the M4 and tried for an AK in assorted barracks. Not a sausage, and a tad too much risk in the effort.

To fellow crash runners, all I can say is keep at it, and it will happen.

I'm guessing that in terms of the probabilities, there are still four possible sites out of 74 possible locations, but that this mixes the Mi-8 dynamic spawns and the Blackhawk ones. Can anyone confirm that please?

First of all they removed 14 spots from the 74 mostly around zeleforsk area.

secondly mi17 do seem to spawn where blackhawks do which makes me think it can be a mix of both now (3 total)which sucks since mi17 dont smoke.

Just found my 3rd crah site in 10 days, 2 MI-8 one only with military boots and some clothing, the otherone empty (probably looted) and 1 UH-60 that had only crap like 2x worn M4 buttstock MP, 1x pristine M68 CompM2 Optics, 3x Rocket Aviators and 2x Glasses with thin frames. No ammo box, no M4, no balaclava. And I'm pretty sure I was the first on site.

I have found 2 crash sites around Green Mountain in 0.49. Both were unintentional find, as opposed to intentional search when I did not find anything.

Loot:

Helmets

CQB M4 buttstock

M4 handguard MP

Other crap do not remember

What do I have to do to get a scope?

are they spawning on a timer or are all three spawned on restart, i've been hunting flat out for crash sites and i'm not having much luck, I must of ran at least ten marathon's this last week and have found 2 which had both been looted before I got there

I think all three spawn on restart. It is actually quite hard to tell what has been looted and what hasn't, because I strongly suspect the loot spawns have been adjusted downwards quite severely. While I have found two M4s, I've found only one pristine M4 part, and only two or three scopes (all damaged or worse) at the UH60 sites I've been able to find so far in 0.49. The mags still seem to be relatively plentiful though.

With deliberate running I will find, on average, one UH60 site for five or six runs of about 20 potential sites. Meanwhile my expectations of what I will find at that site have fallen savagely.

For me, the cost/benefit ratio of heli running in 0.49 is so different from 0.48 that it's pretty much not worth doing, or at least not doing in a determined or intentional way.

• Like 1

Agreed. The best way now to find heli crashes is server hopping in certain spots, Zele, Airfield so on.

Before, it was fun to run around finding them, now doing that is such a long shot, relogging is a better set of odds for your time.

So far found over 40 crash sites(on reg), got tons of everything except the m4, on regualr, and got everything except acog on hardcore.

I don´t know if that is still true for .49, as I use the PSO-1 scope for spotting at the moment and I was always inside this range when doing so.

Where do you spot the helis from? I usually just run all the way around green mountain trying to somewhat pass next to the crosses on the map.

Wouldn't mind being able to make the run shorter.

Where do you spot the helis from? I usually just run all the way around green mountain trying to somewhat pass next to the crosses on the map.

There are two pretty obvious view points where you can see all the potential Green Mountain sites towards either end without having to actually run past them all, although this depends slightly on weather and visibility. This cuts the physical run by about 40%. I've wondered before if it's worth climbing the Green Mountain tower with binos to do this, but I'd probably fall off the ladder in the process...

There are two other runs which aren't quite as good, one further north (towards the bus garage), and the other southern one from the spur of clear ground west of Zeleno towards the Pavlovo military base. Alternatively you can just hang about around the NWAF, but it's a risky business if you're solo.

Edited by Mookie

Same with me. I make 1 circle around g.mountain a day looking for the black smoke.

Since that is pretty boring I always take a brake on the side overlooking Zelenogorsk and shoot some Zeds from a distance.

Then I take out the binoculars and marvel at how good shot I am.

And then I become sad. Sad because I have no scope for my M4.

After wiping my tears I continue to circle green mountain.

Any SMERSH vest?

Yes I found one the other day in a Mi-8 crash site.  It was the site directly NW of Green Mountain in the open field (view-able from the green mountain forest).  I have seen ALOT of screen shots of that location...  Could be it spawns there more, or more people go through there and easier to find... guess we will never know (but thinking its the last).

Edited by TwinSpire

Watch your ass when circling round Green Mountain, now that some items that could only be looted on helis have seen their spawn chance drasticaly reduced, an old kind of playstyle seems to have come back; the camper. These players know exactly that the loop round Green Mountain is where you have the best chances to find a heli crash and they take position on the edge of the Green Mountain forest waiting for an unsuspecting victim to come.

BTW you don't have a 360° vision from the top of the tower (the forest bellow blocks vision)and if the weather is bad you won't be able to see far enough to spot heli crashes.

Edited by MaxTheSurvivor

Had a stroke of luck (no m4) But was watching the airfield and saw this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=320298511

Followed my way up the hill to find another crash! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=320298334

Wonder how far you can see the smoke...  Thought I saw someone said the helo's are only viewable at about 1000m, and even if you use bino you won't see them unless they are "spawned" into view/area without them (even if just black dot).

I have find exactly zero helo's.  Bah humbug.

Same here, but really, I haven't been looking all that hard, only if I happen to be in the area of where I have found one before.  Quest for Zheli-crash just isn't all that fun or lucrative anymore.

Same here, but really, I haven't been looking all that hard, only if I happen to be in the area of where I have found one before.  Quest for Zheli-crash just isn't all that fun or lucrative anymTell

Tell me about it. I used to run from rogovo to zele around green mountain on the northside and it was always worthwhile, not to mention the military loot on the way. But now it's time to find some more helis found x2 300 boxes prstine:D still no m4

Keep trying, you will find one eventually. I'm currently running around with two M4s, one of which is available for trade.

Alternatively, give up trying, do something else, and then M4s will just fall out of the sky (er, literally...)

Your way is one the best ways to do it, I think.

My comment was related to the problems I have finding crashsites that are further away using binoculars. With my posted settings for example: standing just at the eastern corner of the wood surrounding green mountain and spotting towards Pulkovo, I would not see a heli crashed on the field east of the town (wx permitting). I can see heyballs and stuff, but the heli would only appear when I am closer (and at that point I can see him without any scope too).

I tried that with other locations as well and the result is always the same (again: for my settings). That is why I work a little backwards at the moment: if I see a crashsite I try to find a good spotting point far away, where I am 100% sure I can still see this one, but maybe also cover another one or save some way towards it.

As for my search results so far: I found 4 M4´s and a lot of mags and attatchments,  but no decent sope (with that I mean an Acog, worn or better). And I did a lot of running...  That is the reason why I switched back to another "automatic rifle using the same ammunition" (I am not sure if I am allowed to mention the name for it in this thread. So I leave it like that... ;o)  The best M4 parts are stored in my backpack until I have more luck with the scope.

I'd love to know exactly how "random" are they, i've been running a loop that takes in over half the possible spawns yet i've only found 2 crash sites in I dunno how many loops at this stage, I would of thought that given that 3 spawn, I would find at least one in every loop, but that is far from the case, they must be more likely to spawn in the north / north west than in the south / south west. if my experience is anything to go by.

I've spent the past 3 days wandering around the western and northern spawn locations and am yet to see a heli crash site. It's also difficult that after traveling some distance and maybe covering up to 25% of the possible locations the server reboots, essentially meaning that I need to retrace my steps. They re-roll every time, even on persistence servers, correct?

I only found ONE.

A server glitch/hack/bug/whatever occurred where all the players would spawn as strong black women who don't need no man by Vybor. While everybody else was going "Oh, shit what happened" me and my friend dashed to the Veresnik military base and then straight up to the NWAF.

There was a smoking helicopter there with many empty magazines and about ten loose 5.56 rounds.