Mookie (original)

Heli crash sites

It's pretty obvious that crash sites are more rare now. In .48, on my regular run I'd find at least one each time. So far in .49 I've found only three. That's fair enough I guess - and I get that it should be harder to find M4s and their attachments. It's just going to take even more effort to do so, or I should go off and do something else. 

I'm guessing that in terms of the probabilities, there are still four possible sites out of 74 possible locations, but that this mixes the Mi-8 dynamic spawns and the Blackhawk ones. Can anyone confirm that please?

Worth saying that the Mi-8 sites (which appear to spawn in the same familiar locations as the Blackhawk sites, but are harder to spot as they don't smoke) seem pretty bugged. The loot, what there is of it, is pretty crappy.

So you have been finding them in similar locations as you did on .48? I have only put in a few hours on the newest patch, but haven't seen any crashsites in the places I normally found them. Where did you happen to find your 3?

I also found 3 crash sites since 0.49, all Mi-8. Their spawn tables seem to be only for clothes, but it's the only place where you can find the SMERSH vest to attach the bags on it.

I seem to find crash sites more often in and around NWAF, when they used to spawn a lot around Green Mountain/Zelenogorsk. I like that they are rare, but it's tough to find an M4 when it's what you want.

The Mi-8 crashes seem to share the same locations as the UH ones also.

Here's the possible spawn locations since 0.46 for Dagwood.

34fbmnm.jpg

Same here. Since the new patch is up and running on stable  I have found three crashsites - 2 Blackhawks  and one Mi-8. No M4 but the Mi had good loot (Pso-scpoe, Gorka jacket, 60/40 5,56 mags, binocular etc.). Most of it was stuck in the ground and I used the inventory for finding it.

I hope I am wrong but as far as I know there are only 3 helicrashsites spawning with each server-restart (not the above mentioned 4).

So you have been finding them in similar locations as you did on .48? I have only put in a few hours on the newest patch, but haven't seen any crashsites in the places I normally found them. Where did you happen to find your 3?

Around Green Mountain/Zeleno. The location points were where I would have expected them, as per the Dagwood map. It's just that they're a helluva lot less frequent. I've been searching all afternoon and have found a single Blackhawk site.

Found 2 so far and both were within like 300yds of eachother, both Mi's with decent crap half of which was in ground - using inv open search method.. have never found a M4 at a crashsite - only on corpses haha.

It feels almost as if there is some kind of cumulative effect going on here. Three 25 minute runs down the entire west side of the map, occasionally dipping east when I knew there used to be possible sites there.. No helis. :(

Around Green Mountain/Zeleno. The location points were where I would have expected them, as per the Dagwood map. It's just that they're a helluva lot less frequent. I've been searching all afternoon and have found a single Blackhawk site.

As per Dagwood map? And that Zelenogorsk-GM region is where I typically find them as well. Maybe helis per restart is not static anymore? Or some were replaced with Russian helos.

I have found two without really looking for them. Considering the patch is out for about half a week and I just happened to stumble across them I was either very lucky or they are simply not much rarer than before.

One was north of Green Mountain the other north of the Airfield (the lower one on the picture).

I've found two blackhawks in .49 and I've been searching for about 2 days. My findings have been around Zelenogorsk and today I decided to check the entire area around the city, and later proceed down to Balota and end my journey in Cherno. The first copter encounter gave me pretty sweet loot (three pristine red-dot sights and a flashbang) while my second finding almost only had damaged clothes and one 60-mag for the M4. The helis seems to be extremely rare at the moment and imo there is really no point in farming them until the spawn is increased/vehicles are released! The odds of finding a heli are just that low.

But I wish everyone searching for the helis good luck!  ;)

Edited by Boogiewoogie

by the way if you are searching for the m4A1, make sure to thoroughly look at the helicopter. Dont just use your inventory to look around. Because the m4A1 I found was glitched inside the helicopter. I had to puzzle it out and use the "Take into Hands" command to get it.  

Ive found 3 American crashes but no sight of the MI8 crash. Found m4A1, 2x 300 Round boxes, Skull balaclava, grenade, acog, etc. 

OK, fwiw, my theory is that there are still three (not four, my bad) possible spawns per restart. But they can be either Mi-8 or Blackhawk and that's random. Either way, given the serious apparent scarcity of the Blackhawks, it's really not worth doing now.

During todays morning raid I found 2 Mi-8´s and 1 Blackhawk on a single server. All spots were according to the map shown above. I´ve not seen a heli Crash somewhere else so far. 

Against my previous experience loot at the Mi-8`s was towards nil (either someone took it all except one damaged UK vest, there was none, or I couldn´t get it out of the ground due to terrain). So, yes I agree, might not be worth all the effort... but I like that M4... and helicopter-hunting... ;o)

Thanks Sniper-Wolf for that hint.

One thing I found out on .48: with my settings (sceneComplexity=1000000;viewDistance=3000;preferredObjectViewDistance=3000;ingame menue details on VH) the binoculars didn´t show helicrashsites from further away than you were able to see with bare eyes. Max range to spot them was around 1000m (according to an online-map), then they disappeared from eyesight and the bino didn´t bring them back.

I don´t know if that is still true for .49, as I use the PSO-1 scope for spotting at the moment and I was always inside this range when doing so.

I can confirm there are 3 spawns at least since we got 2 MI-8 and 1 blackhawk after a restart yesterday. In total I found quite alot of sites, roughly 15.. The MI-8 don't seem to spawn proper loot for me tho and are hard to spot without smoke and beeing bugged into the ground. Imo it all depends on your farming route you choose and the way you do it. With proper timing and taking a closer look at the site itself, you can get some items there. My records in .49 so far are:

3 m4

1 ammobox

1 60 and couple of 40 mags

3 ACOG

2 m68 optics

2 Combat Knife

And some other somewhat useful stuff.. So keep searching and don't give up :)

in the last month I've only found one crash spawn. just mags and a grenade. before that I would almost always find one, or even two, on the north side of GM. haven't found an m4 in quite a while though.

Um, wanna do some trading Insoliciously ( :) )?

Yes, I think it's the mixing of Mi-8 and Blackhawks that's had this effect, and the point that the former are bugged and spawn fairly worthless stuff. If you can (in theory) find an M4 on a Blackhawk site, the Mi-8 loot should at least be a little better.

I might keep trying for a little longer, maybe extend my regular run further to take in more sites.

On the topic of heli crashes, I'm a little put off by the new rarity of ammo boxes by confining them to crashes after the patch.  Its pretty stupid IMO that you would only find ammo boxes on downed helicopters but not on one of the three military bases or the dozens wrecked tanks, humvees, and UAZ's.  Guns, ammo, tactical clothing, grenades, but no ammo boxes???  :rolleyes: 

For chrissakes, its an AMMO BOX, not an ACOG scope!

I've looted about 10 crash sites now and all but one ahve given nothing but weapon cleaning kits and chemlights, the last one had loads of M4 attachments, ammo and a damaged flashbang

Um, wanna do some trading Insoliciously ( :) )?

Yes, I think it's the mixing of Mi-8 and Blackhawks that's had this effect, and the point that the former are bugged and spawn fairly worthless stuff. If you can (in theory) find an M4 on a Blackhawk site, the Mi-8 loot should at least be a little better.

I might keep trying for a little longer, maybe extend my regular run further to take in more sites.

Feel free to PM me your needs/wishes or watch the Trade Thread for informations on my offers. I'm just becomming more cautious as I got killed once again in a trade yesterday.

last patch I found one at NWAF or just outside of it almost every time I went there, which was a lot.  I'd say about 80% of the time I'd find a chopper, only once in the middle of the airfield though.

Feel free to PM me your needs/wishes or watch the Trade Thread for informations on my offers. I'm just becomming more cautious as I got killed once again in a trade yesterday.

Sadly, some tosser shot me up at the Pavlovo base earlier this evening. Let me get geared back up and find some good stuff to trade, and I'll be back in touch.

Everyone keeps talking about around Green Mountain...please do not disturb the spirits....

Here's an updated map of the possible 3 crash sites per server restart. About 20 of them have been chopped from the 74 initial. (Mostly part of the Balota nerf.)

2elbgua.jpg

Weyland did an extensive search of the possible crashes in video. Pretty interesting, although a little dated since now the UH-60 share it's spawn locations with the Mi-8.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/211522-discovery-downed-helicopter-sites-ii-of-iii-21-locations/

And finally, yesterday I found my first UH-60 crash site since the 0.49 patch. Got some mags and attachments for the M4, but no rifle unfortunately. Had found 3 Mi-8 crashes, but no elusive SMERSH vest spawned near them. (only place to find them right now)

dov481.jpg

Edited by Odin Lowe
  • Like 1

Now that explains a lot!!  That´s why I couldn´t find anything on the "southern loop" anymore... Thanks for the info!

As of my gameplay this morning: again the 2 Mi-8 and 1 BH pattern on one server. Still have to look for my "precious", but was very lucky find 2 "gems" at an Mi-8 crashsite...