Sign in to follow this  
kitthegreat

Navigate by the Stars

One for the players who enjoy the survival aspect of the game.

During the day it's fairly easy to efficiently get around Chernarus. You can get a general fix on your direction using the position of the sun, couple that with good map knowledge and you shouldn't run into many problems. However since 0.49 dropped I've found the majority of severs running 1500-1800, leading to an hour or so playing in the dark. Certainly something I'm enjoying as I hadn't had to to experience it in previous patches.

This does lead to an issue of getting around without the sun to guide you, presuming you haven't found a compass yet. Just like real life you can use the star constellations to guide you:

Get yourself in an open area and find The Plough, it appears low on the northern horizon at nightfall. 

Put a mental line between the two right-hand stars and follow it up to the third star in the handle of The Little Dipper, this star is Polaris, The North Star. Its position remains constant above the northern planetary axis.

hq_zps02b041dd.png

As shown by my epic Paint skills :D.

hqdayzNorth_zps35a337a2.png

The Plough will move around the night sky but Polaris remains constant. This technique will work at any time of night but The Plough won't necessarily be in the position of the screen shot.

star_final.gif

http://www.naturalnavigator.com/find-your-way-using/stars

Happy trails.

Edited by Kit the Great
  • Like 4