LucidHills

Longhorn or Sawed-off Mosin?

Which do you think would be better, the Longhorn or Sawed-off Mosin?

I already have a longhorns but I hear they are rare. I might trade it for something then use a sawed-off mosin.

I plan to go down the road of stealth, low profile and looking deceptively unkitted with a plain jacket, cargo pants, a leather courier bag and no visible weapons.

What do you guys think?

I find the Longhorn rather useless, especially at close range, as it has only one shot. You'd have to make it count. With the sawed-off Mosin at least you'd have five warning shots and one well-aimed toss :P

• Like 2

But the Longhorn is fairly accurate and has a clear scope (for use on med-long-range), which the Obrez doesn't have.

In the End, the Obrez (=sawn off Mosin) would suit your play-style better ;)

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 1

Longhorn if your going for stealth: excellent accuracy, scope allows for some sniping (w/practice) and scouting ability.

Sawed-off Mosin is considerably stronger in close-quarters, but CQ is less of a concern if your focusing on stealth.

Personally I'd keep a sawed-off mosin until finding a pistol to compliment the longhorn. I feel very vulnerable in urban areas armed w/only the longhorn, but have survived a few encounters.

Edited by DancesWithCows

Longhorn is a nice on the go Sniper

Since it has a scope

Sawed-off Mosin is nice for the 5 shots and conceal-ability.

Saw a friend headshot a zombie at 300 or so meters yesterday on his first shot with a longhorn. Didn't think it was that accurate. Pretty cool for a low gear, stealthy player eh?

Saw a friend headshot a zombie at 300 or so meters yesterday on his first shot with a longhorn. Didn't think it was that accurate. Pretty cool for a low gear, stealthy player eh?

"Low-gear" in form of not much gear, but not quality :D

The Longhorn is harder to find than the AKM & Co.

Longhorn has better accuracy, turn rate, and a scope. Generally good to 200m.

Obrez has higher magazine capacity.

That's it in a nutshell. 

No scope on a sawn off mozy.

But I am confused about why you can't be stealthy with an ak. Kos peeps will kos even if you only have underwear and no weapons... Why go into this fight with one hand tied behind your back?

Obrez should be looked at as an alternative to a pistol or sawed-off IZH-43, it's a close range weapon without doubt (maybe you'll make the hit of a lifetime at medium-long range, the round is certainly capable). The Longhorn, on the other hand, is a pretty unique sidearm in that it's a medium-long range weapon.

Really, the Obrez would PROBABLY be unnecessary if the sawed-off IZH-43 didn't aim so ridiculously (it aims far below where it will actually shoot, while the Obrez aims mostly on point) and we had working 12GA Slugs.

Anything passed 10m becomes mere luck with the obrez, although you have a higher fire rate due to the guns capacity. I feel longhorn more valuable , its situational for someone in the close quarters primary weapon category. Giving AR users an option to long range with.

hmm interesting views all round. I wasn't planing to keep either as my only firearm. I planned to have a short and a mid (to longish) range weapon. So I guess I have a second question:

A pistol or a sawed-off shotgun for the close range? And again it has to fit in my backpack or clothes. 

As concerning the play style. I am in the process of changing my play style from kitting up into a walking armoury to bare essentials, stealth, low kit. The reason for hiding my (good) weapons (might have low end melee weapon on display) is I have read here and seen in game that people are a lot more likely to kos a kitted player than a newspawn. There is many who do kos newspawns but the chances or getting killed are a little lower and lower still with stealth.

Edited by LucidHills

hmm interesting views all round. I wasn't planing to keep either as my only firearm. I planned to have a short and a mid (to longish) range weapon. So I guess I have a second question:

A pistol or a sawed-off shotgun for the close range? And again it has to fit in my backpack or clothes. 

As concerning the play style. I am in the process of changing my play style from kitting up into a walking armoury to bare essentials, stealth, low kit. The reason for hiding my (good) weapons (might have low end melee weapon on display) is I have read here and seen in game that people are a lot more likely to kos a kitted player than a newspawn. There is many who do kos newspawns but the chances or getting killed are a little lower and lower still with stealth.

Sawn off shottie is good for building clearing, pistol (magnum) doesn't need magazines and is probably the best one of the lot, pistol (others) require a magazine that take up extra slots. So for your playstyle I'd say

Magnum (4 slots squared, easiest placement)

Sawn off (4 slots line, doesn't fit in courier backpack)

Other pistols (4 slots squared + time to find appropriate magazines + slots for magazines)

I also feel like Magnum is a very nice secondary. Use AKM or SKS tho, if you only want a pistol to look "low geared" - doesn't work. People will kill you no matter what gear you have. (or to justify it RP wise: For your batteries :D) - so better stay hidden and spray 75 rounds in their general direction when you feel it's safe to do so, than try to hit him with your 1 shot Longhorn (if that misses you are more than likely in trouble) :)

Edit: In cities the Shotgun is very good now, as it should be. Just aim well, you only have 2 attempts :D

Edited by Camper101

Sawn off shottie is good for building clearing, pistol (magnum) doesn't need magazines and is probably the best one of the lot, pistol (others) require a magazine that take up extra slots. So for your playstyle I'd say

Magnum (4 slots squared, easiest placement)

Sawn off (4 slots line, doesn't fit in courier backpack)

Other pistols (4 slots squared + time to find appropriate magazines + slots for magazines)

I am using a leather courier bag which is 4x4 on the inside (and 5x5 outside which is odd) so I can fit sawed-offs. 

off topic, but I wish we could rotate items in the inventory!

I currently have:

• Fully tricked out Mosin except bipod
  • 1911 with 2 mags
  • a revolver with quickloader (glitched into the floor almost killing me, breaking my legs, ruining my pants and the gun in them)
  • Longhorn
Edited by LucidHills

Sawn-off shotty all the way! Ok it is only for close range, but usualy kills in one single damn shot.

Since shotty was fixed I fell in love with that beast. Also ammo for shotty seems to be almost the most plentiful from all rifles.

• Like 1

Longhorn, no doubt in my mind. 

The Longhorn has a scope which allows you to be very accurate at a decent ranges, meaning that for your stealthy and unassuming playstyle, you'll be seeing most players before they see you, and you'll have the drop on them. That's where the Longhorn shines.

I've often positioned myself by the closed doors of Police Stations or watched jeeps where I expect other players to check out. If you have a Longhorn and know there's a player around you, once that player stands still they're dead. I can't tell you how many people I've killed at the Cernaya Polana junkyard as I hide in the woods like a brave person and just waited until they stand next to a jeep or a truck to look at what's inside and shot them in the facehole. 

The Obrez is alright, but it would really depend on what your primary weapon is. If you plan to look unarmed, then the stealthy and out-of-the-way route of playing would suit the Longhorn's ability to be a sniper rifle. Yes, you only get one shot, but that's all you need. If you're not confident about the shots you take...you shouldn't be taking them.

• Like 1

Sawing of a mosin is even worse than spraypainting it. You Anger the mosin gods with such baltant acts of heresy...

Thus...go longhorn.

• Like 1

I am using a leather courier bag which is 4x4 on the inside (and 5x5 outside which is odd) so I can fit sawed-offs. 

off topic, but I wish we could rotate items in the inventory!

I currently have:

• Fully tricked out Mosin except bipod
  • 1911 with 2 mags
  • a revolver with quickloader (glitched into the floor almost killing me, breaking my legs, ruining my pants and the gun in them)
  • Longhorn

If you have a mosin then normally a magnum or sawn-off shotty is what I'd go for. Probably the shotty over the magnum because I think it's still pretty effective at almost relative ranges as the magnum is accurate. It's neigh impossible to hit past 30M with the magnum safely, unless the weapon balance affected the pistols too...I should test the groupings actually to see if they've improved the pistols too. I'll make a vid when I find a magnum next and take a look. 

If you have a mosin then normally a magnum or sawn-off shotty is what I'd go for. Probably the shotty over the magnum because I think it's still pretty effective at almost relative ranges as the magnum is accurate. It's neigh impossible to hit past 30M with the magnum safely, unless the weapon balance affected the pistols too...I should test the groupings actually to see if they've improved the pistols too. I'll make a vid when I find a magnum next and take a look. 

Indeed, dood.

all pistols have an accuracy of 0.03 now (except the longhorn(0.01) and Amphibia S(0.02))

Edited by irishroy

For now I consider the amphibia useless ( does it even spawn right now ??? ) since .47?. Stealth, and not aggroing Z´s if dispersed , the satisfaction of sneaky headshots with .22 and ammo in abudance, have been THE best Arguments for the weapon... :(

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

For now I consider the amphibia useless ( does it even spawn right now ??? ) since .47?. Stealth, and not aggroing Z´s if dispersed , the satisfaction of sneaky headshots with .22 and ammo in abudance, have been THE best Arguments for the weapon... :(

All those reasons you mention are why the amphibia is my favourite pistol.  Once I've got my primary weapon, the pistol really just serves as a secondary tool, and as such, the amphibia has the most functionality.  The main uses I've found are to take out zeds that manage to get in the building with you without getting hit, as well as to snipe zeds from on top of rooftops.  It's pretty much the only firearm I would ever use to kill zombies.

Why to chose between Longhorn and Obrez? Both serve different purposes. Obrez is for close quarter battle and Longhorn is SOME KIND of sniping.

I only found my first longhorn 3 days ago, I'm yet to get a situation to try it. I noticed the 1 bullet capacity and found that interesting... going to have to try it out on a zed or animal to see how it feels.

I only found my first longhorn 3 days ago, I'm yet to get a situation to try it. I noticed the 1 bullet capacity and found that interesting... going to have to try it out on a zed or animal to see how it feels.

1 shot, 1 kill, no luck, just skill

:D

It's a pocket-mosin with a scope and only 1 shot.

Actually, it "can" be pretty ineffective.

But so much damage and range in 1 small pistol  :rolleyes:

• Like 1