omgwtfbbq (DayZ)

The "ruined" status must go.

"Ruined" status  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the implementation of item conditions?

• It eventually needs to be completely reworked from the ground up.
    • It needs some improvements eventually.
    • It's fine the way it is.
    • Item condition needs to be removed.
    • Other (comments)

Examples of shitty damage system:

A) Fall from ledge, pants are now broken.

B ) Zombie attacks you and makes you bleed, but your rags are broken so you must find more. 

C) Can of food with 100% remaining is broken.

D) Zombie attack? Your hat is now broken and cannot be worn.

E) Zombie hits your chest once or twice, which successfully breaks your canopener, food, and ammunition you had in there.

F) Hitting things with a crowbar (which is merely a blunt object) makes it get rusty until it is broken and cannot be used.

G) Jacket is wet, so now your compass is broken.

(The first of these examples will always be my favorite)

I'm sick of these items being rendered unusable for arbitrary reasons. I am NOT saying remove the item conditions, I'm saying giving everything the "ruined" label is not acceptable. Hopefully in the future updates we will see an improvement over item conditions. My suggestion would be to assign conditions to individual items (shirts become ripped, matches become wet, shoes fall apart), and seeing as this would take a long time, I don't expect it to come any time soon. I just don't want "ruined" as the end goal. Also falling should not damage your pants at all. I don't know what the design decision behind that was. Leg break? All for it. Unusable pants? No. Ripped pants from your shin poking through it? Sure, if you can still wear the pants.

Opinions?

EDIT: 63:26 Fix/don't fix. Hopefully the devs know the community opinion on this matter now.

Edited by omgwtfbbq
  • Like 10

It's completely fine how it is now.

If anything we need more ways for items to degrade.

• Like 6

It really needs to take more time for something to become ruined though. Consistently you'll have times where whoops! Zombie lands a hit on you and your vest and everything in it is now instantly unusable. It's like the zombies are carrying knives, grabbing hold  and cutting things apart when they quite literally slap you with their hands.

• Like 11

I don't think it's fine at all. A slight hit from a zombie can break your last 2 hours of hard work. Granted, yes, gear should get damaged. But ruining everything in a vest, or pants, or a backpack in one hit is just unnecessary 

• Like 6

Its all random really, however I agree, Items getting damaged from falling is really stupid.

My Faith in Humanity is now Ruined after playing this game as long as I have.

• Like 5

My Faith in Humanity is now Ruined after playing this game as long as I have.

(Following up off-topic post with an off-topic post of my own)

I wouldn't say my faith in humanity, I'd say my ability to trust people through the internet. Which was already Ruined long, long ago, so, no change there.

Edited by omgwtfbbq

It just sounds like you want to make it easier. Spread out your gear, split rags and ammo into different places, make sure you have a sewing kit to patch any damaged clothes and this game is too easy already.

• Like 1

I don't think it's fine at all. A slight hit from a zombie can break your last 2 hours of hard work. Granted, yes, gear should get damaged. But ruining everything in a vest, or pants, or a backpack in one hit is just unnecessary 

On that aspect yes I agree a zombie essentially punching you should not break or ruin any items nor should it cause you to bleed.

The system itself needs a rework, however the labels can stay the same, however i think certain items should still be usable like a hat, but provide no benefit to things such as temperate and what not. What needs to go is the zombie crap mainly as well as the whole breaking your leg or a shot with a 22 ruins everything in your backpack. Things like that need fixed. Or they could just go with durability starting at lets say 100% is pristine and the longer you use it and I mean actually use it not just have it degrade while sitting in your pocket. Although somewhat simple games like fallouts durability works really well. The more you use your gun the more it wears down, the more you wear your clothes and take damage the more it wears down.

On that aspect yes I agree a zombie essentially punching you should not break or ruin any items nor should it cause you to bleed.

I think the best way to do this, is clear all ideas they have and rebuild the entire system. Reguardless of how long it takes. Good games take time.

• Like 1

Why wouldn't you bleed from punching? Not every punch is going to cause bleeding but punches damage tissue and can tear it or do crush injuries where the skin splits. There is also a pretty good chance of internal bleeding. I also don't understand why punching wouldn't break objects. Sure it might not be realistic that punching will easily damage a .45 pistol but it can definitely ruin a can of food, soft drink, sewing kit, compass, weapon scope, and more.

Supposedly some day attacks/weapons will have categories of damage. So punching is blunt, axe is cutting damage, bullets are ballistic damage, and such. Then they can say that Item X takes less damage from crushing force and more from cutting. So a jacket wouldn't take much damage from fists or even a baseball bat, but a knife would shred it.

• Like 3

DayZ, a game where your character won't eat the contents of a can of beans because it got slapped while residing in his vest, even if he's dying of starvation.

• Like 1

(Following up off-topic post with an off-topic post of my own)

I wouldn't say my faith in humanity, I'd say my ability to trust people through the internet. Which was already Ruined long, long ago, so, no change there.

Your puns are a bit DAMAGED

Why wouldn't you bleed from punching? Not every punch is going to cause bleeding but punches damage tissue and can tear it or do crush injuries where the skin splits. There is also a pretty good chance of internal bleeding. I also don't understand why punching wouldn't break objects. Sure it might not be realistic that punching will easily damage a .45 pistol but it can definitely ruin a can of food, soft drink, sewing kit, compass, weapon scope, and more.

Supposedly some day attacks/weapons will have categories of damage. So punching is blunt, axe is cutting damage, bullets are ballistic damage, and such. Then they can say that Item X takes less damage from crushing force and more from cutting. So a jacket wouldn't take much damage from fists or even a baseball bat, but a knife would shred it.

Then they should cause shock damage.

Bleeding profusely like you do in game from punches to what usually appears to be the body is silly.

At the same time bleeding needs to be far more dangerous for gunshot wounds and real punctures.

A simple rag should not stop bleeding.

• Like 1

Then they should cause shock damage.

Bleeding profusely like you do in game from punches to what usually appears to be the body is silly.

At the same time bleeding needs to be far more dangerous for gunshot wounds and real punctures.

A simple rag should not stop bleeding.

My friend nearly died today because one slap caused him to bleed for approximately 7 minutes because we didn't have any rags...

It's quite annoying and doesn't make a lot of sense how it works right now but I don't think fixing it is high on the priorities list.

You guys realize that they aren't slapping or punching you, right? They are infected humans with some form of rage virus that enhances their strength. Kind of like in the movies where zombies are able to tear a human apart. If you can't handle them ruining your gear stop getting hit.

• Like 1

I am forced to agree. But with that agreement I want ways to repair my gear. A file to bring edged weapons back from the grave, a canvas repair kit (We called them Tent sewing kits in the Corps) to fix packs, vests and web gear. Things don't stay new forever hence there should be less pristine clothing and Heavy Nylon canvas gear around. You should be happy to find a damaged assault vest knowing that you can get it up to worn with your Heavy Sewing Kit. And it would make some sense to allow the player to reinforce his clothing around the knees and elbows with Duct Tape. And require folks to wash their asses and clothing unless they don't mind ass-rash and lice.  We really need to get away from the adolescents that like to play dress-up in pristine military clothing. Your clothing should degrade from Pristine to Worn without the application of External force rather quickly. 

The  Look

viggo2.jpg

Have some beans  :beans:

Edited by Xbow

I think having a ruined status is a good thing. First its authentic that items reach a state where its no longer possible to repair them ("repairing them" in this state would boil down to "build a completely new one using the materials"). Second it helps the gameplay mechanics - you have to watch out for your gear or it ends up unusable, items eventually get unusable resulting you you needing new ones and it prevents the servers from getting stuffed with items.

Now what needs change is the way "ruined" works - it should take much longer to reach the state, especially for clothes. However, once you reach the stae the effects should be significant:

• ruined clothing should provide NO protection (though I think it should still give you a smaller number of badly damaged rags)
  • ruined shoes might even cause negative effects like fatigue or even damage
  • ruined items should provide no storage (could be gradually get less with damage via pocket system)
  • ruined tools should not be usable
  • ruined guns should not shoot or even load
  • ruined ammo WILL jam
  • ruined melee weapons would still be usable but much less effective
  • ruined food items should only provide a very small amount of food (a ruined apple is an apple hit by a sledgehammer for example)
  • ruined drinks should not provide water but rather cause the container and items inside to get wet
  • ruined vehicles sould require a completely new chassis (ruined parts would simply not work at all)
  • ruined attachments/magazines should not be impossible to attach/fall off
  • ruined crafting materials should not be usable for crafting
  • ruined medical items should not be usable (ruined rags would be "small scraps of fabric")

So basically a ruined item gets useless and has to be replaced. But it should not become useless after getting hit by some zombie twice. I even think worn clothing should not get ruined by a single gunshot - simply blowing a hole into it would rather cause a "damaged" or "badly damaged" state though it might ruin items stored inside and make some pockets unusable.

I want to know how my woodcutter axe gets ruined from chopping firewood, I'm pretty sure that's what it's designed to do.

agreed but , a axe would get blunt after a while , maybe a sharpener stone should be added long with a sharp to blunt status on sharp weapons with prestine to ruined :D

35910.jpg