Sign in to follow this  
irishroy

Tarps (& shelters)

Well, in the DEV-stream it was revealed, that we will be able to build shelters, and so I post a suggestion/thread I had in my head for quite some time now ;)
(Maybe when the DEVs are looking for shelter-models, they probably stumble across the word "Bushcraft" on youtube, like I did.  ;) Many videos focus on "how to survive the first few days", and building a shelter is one of the main things. I will leave some videos down)

The Tarp
(not the usual DayZ-trading-tarp-trap)

First of all, the tarp is some kind of a jack-of-all-trades-item.

However, it could be found in different sizes, colours and maybe even materials.
But also military (camo-ed like Flecktarn, etc.) and civilian types (in 1 colour like blue, dark green and brown)
Of course there are different sizes in reality, but for gameplay-balance one size would do the job, too, I think.

Civilian:

green-tarp.jpg   t-1020-35.jpg         Red-tarp.jpg

Military:

g_tarp_woodland2.jpg   camotarp.jpg

The Player could build a shelter, and then further improve it with a tarp.
These shelters would work almost like a tent, but degrade over time. (So for X server-restarts the shelter looses -Y durability like water-proof, etc. etc., which leads to the result, that items inside the shelter degrade quicker and become ruined/useless)

==> Uses of a tarp:
some kind of over-poncho
the player could sit down and wrap the tarp around him, if it's cold
building and further improving(=making waterproof) shelters
carrying/dragging wounded/unconscious players

Some shelter-ideas:
A lean-to-shelter (Storage: 30-50?)

457673.jpg
787406049_DAy4Y-M.jpg
730518931_yVStZ-S.jpg

A debris-shelter.
Storage: 30-40?

With a tarp you could also set up something like a "free-hanging-tarp-roof". Storage: 40-60?

tarp_xl_coyote_brown_5.jpg109.jpg

Then you could "upgrade it with a hammock" for more storage ;) (+10-15)

ines-green-regular-lines-guy-lines--%5B4  

Another Tarp-idea:

(German video, but it is shown how to fold the tarp, etc.)

Another type of shelter:
P1010007Copy1.jpg

Bushcraft-videos overall:

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 13

If any of this gets into the game, I'll be happy! :thumbsup:  All of those suggestions seem fantastic to me.

On a side note, you probably know about the game "The Forest" right? If not, check it out. The survival aspect of the game is pretty nice.

Back to DayZ, with bears and wolves confirmed, wilderness survival will probably be a challenge. And I like that. Devs are doing an amazing job imo. :beans:  To you, and them.

What a amazing suggestion. I think as said once Base Build game style starts to take off. Tarps would be a fantastic addition!

Love the idea. With tents being so hard to find for most, being able to create a makeshift shelter that holds not even half the space of a tent would be awesome; gives them some sort of camp while they search for the bigger one. Just simply crafting a pile of sticks and applying them to a tarp and rope would be enough and as the game develops, modifications could be made to improve it. 

You certainly get my beans for this!  :beans:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

can't stress this enough. a tarp would be (imo) one of the five most important things to have in a survival situation. so much room for activities!

makeshift...bag, shelter, stash, trap, water shield, weather protection, container, poncho....

Edited by joe_mcentire

I think I just found the perfect video that illustrates the construction of a tent with tarps:

• Like 1