Sign in to follow this  
VaTiS

Just some Ideas about Hypothermia

1)Vodka , Cognac and other alcohol drinks will help you keep your temperature steady and make you a little warmer. Overdose would be moving screen, throwing up etc.
2) craft small fireplace : only a few branches needed and it would burn not for too long
3) spawn more raincoats 
4) reduce heatloss while indoors 
5) add shocks for keeping the temp up 
6) closing all building doors should make it hotter 

there are many more ideas i ll try to update :) 

• Like 2

Drinking alcohol to keep you warm is a myth. You only feel warmer, cause your blood vessels are expanded. But by this extension the warm blood flows to the outer area of the body where the heat is dissipated to the environment. Per half bottle of wine - that is, 50 grams of alcohol - you body temperature drops by half a degree celsius.

• Like 6

Drinking alcohol to keep you warm is a myth. You only feel warmer, cause your blood vessels are expanded. But by this extension the warm blood flows to the outer area of the body where the heat is dissipated to the environment. Per half bottle of wine - that is, 50 grams of alcohol - you body temperature drops by half a degree celsius.

Yeah but temporarily it would make you feel warmer, trudging you through to the next area.  Or it could be burned, in fact, Bandage + Alcohol + Matches.

WHERE ARE THE MOLOTOVS.

• Like 1

1) I like the Frostfall-way of temporarily giving you some temperature but draining more than it gave you.

2) Only branches make it much harder to light the fire as wood - let alone non-dry wood - needs some heat to start burning.

3) Why? No need for this.

4) Not sure about this. I think being indoors should protect from weather, wind and sun but deserted houses are usually not heated.

5) A slot for socks and an additional slot for shirts would be nice. In real life you don't replace your T-shirt when its cold but add another layer (two layers+vest is probably enough though).

6) Not by much but yes it should. Less wind and at least one heat source (yourself). However lighting a fire should also have some negative effects due to the smoke.

I'd like to tack on a suggestion to this (even though the first one is a myth)

'Containerize' fireplaces/space heaters in buildings so you can add firewood to wood stoves or fireplaces and set them on fire.  This would slowly warm up the building itself and not just the area directly in front of the fireplace, to tie in with 6 make it heat up faster if you close all the doors, and if windows are ever made close-able/breakable add that in as a factor too.  Of course this would mark the building (Smoke, to a limited extent light) as having activity but that's the risks you take with fire.  Even allow cooking in this manner (something else: Fish+Stick as a means of cooking the whole fish).

• Like 4

Now with the growing importance of temperature management yesterday I thought to myself: I'm shaking, I'm in a building, right in front of a fireplace, a stack of wood right next to it. I have rags and matches in the inventory and I'm still unable to make a fire?

In regard of the small fireplaces: I think Bohemia neglect the woods a way to much. Even without an axe I should be able to find woodsticks easily, dry leaves, moss or such things that can be used with matches and tinder (dry rags, sheet of paper) to make a fire - btw. is it possible to use a book and matches for making fire? :)

I know it's not really the best example, but there are tons of survival shows on tv but nearly nothing they show has come to DayZ yet - as controversial as it may be.

5) A slot for socks and an additional slot for shirts would be nice. In real life you don't replace your T-shirt when its cold but add another layer (two layers+vest is probably enough though).

I would support this. I think it would be good to have underwear / shirts separately so you can watch for thermal / additional underwear what should be not that uncommon in a cold region. Ponchos are also a good way to stay dry without using inventory spaces and should not take too much space if not needed.

Edited by ThetaHelion

I think we all need to remember that the "heat system" is still very young, so let's give the devs some time.

Regarding the layers, I'd like to see socks.

Maybe it could just stop the warnings?

But put you at greater risk of hypothermia, hidden features are good.

As a positive it could also act as a mild painkiller, letting you move better on injuries, but maybe at the risk of worsening the injury. It would be a short term fix.

Edited by AP_Norris

The stoves and fireplaces in buildings should definitely be functional features.

Of course using one would put a limited amount of smoke out of the pipes revealing activity, but it would allow you to stay dry and warm.

Also, did they change the ability to make fireplaces with just matches and wood? I haven't been on in almost a year and read through a lot of new features..but I was playing the other night and with sticks, wood, and matches, I couldn't start/build a fire anywhere. I believe it used to be through the matches option. and I'm guessing the sticks are for splints or something while you need actual wood logs to start/maintain fires. Should also be able to compile a certain amount of sticks into logs or enough to start a fire, since 100% of wood is 100% of wood regardless of how its chopped up (as in 5 sticks = 1 log to burn)

The stoves and fireplaces in buildings should definitely be functional features.

Of course using one would put a limited amount of smoke out of the pipes revealing activity, but it would allow you to stay dry and warm.

Also, did they change the ability to make fireplaces with just matches and wood? I haven't been on in almost a year and read through a lot of new features..but I was playing the other night and with sticks, wood, and matches, I couldn't start/build a fire anywhere. I believe it used to be through the matches option. and I'm guessing the sticks are for splints or something while you need actual wood logs to start/maintain fires. Should also be able to compile a certain amount of sticks into logs or enough to start a fire, since 100% of wood is 100% of wood regardless of how its chopped up (as in 5 sticks = 1 log to burn)

This is the Standalone we're talking about, not the mod.  SA always required a fireplace kit (sticks+rags/paper).  The fireplace kit also requires wood to be attached to it and you use matches to try and get it going.  You can also attach stones to fireplace kits but I'm not quite sure what that does.

Yeah but temporarily it would make you feel warmer

And the walking ghost phase of radiation poisoning makes you "feel" better as well, but you're still dying just as quickly.

As a positive it could also act as a mild painkiller, letting you move better on injuries, but maybe at the risk of worsening the injury. It would be a short term fix.

Yes too much warning spam. 

As in what being cold makes feel less pain ? Try this :

Hit you fingers against some hard object, than get them cold and do it again, I guarantee you than the second time will hurt much more. 

The warnings need to be adjusted, but making temperature a "hidden feature" is an incredibly bad idea considering the effect it can have on you. The messages are only there because there's no way for the game to actually make you "feel" cold or warm, so you have to know.

Also, getting hypothermia or frostbite is never something you'll want to happen, ESPECIALLY when injured. By the point that an area starts to feel numb, you've probably already lost it, and with an injury it's only going to get worse because of the cold. That, and the pain would be extremely amplified, because you've got the open injury with your body still trying to seal it, and at the same time ice is beginning to form around it. That would be incredibly painful.

It wouldn't fix anything. The game should encourage people to stay warm, while also cooling off occasionally.

The warnings need to be adjusted, but making temperature a "hidden feature" is an incredibly bad idea considering the effect it can have on you. The messages are only there because there's no way for the game to actually make you "feel" cold or warm, so you have to know.

Also, getting hypothermia or frostbite is never something you'll want to happen, ESPECIALLY when injured. By the point that an area starts to feel numb, you've probably already lost it, and with an injury it's only going to get worse because of the cold. That, and the pain would be extremely amplified, because you've got the open injury with your body still trying to seal it, and at the same time ice is beginning to form around it. That would be incredibly painful.

It wouldn't fix anything. The game should encourage people to stay warm, while also cooling off occasionally.

Just when you have enough alcohol, it's realistic it stops you feeling the cold.

I also think when you start developing frostbite there isn't much feeling left there.

Just when you have enough alcohol, it's realistic it stops you feeling the cold.

I also think when you start developing frostbite there isn't much feeling left there.

My point is that you'd already be screwed by that point, alcohol would only slightly numb the pain at best.

The two good ideas are to either have it temporarily increase your heat level at the cost of losing heat faster, or not help at all. Alcohol should be used as a mild painkiller, decreasing your shaking as you drink more (though if you become highly intoxicated you start to shake even more), but that's really the furthest extent of it. Otherwise, it's just another source for molotov cocktails to me.

Edited by Chaingunfighter