Sign in to follow this  
agouti

Museum

Museum Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a museum in a cultured town in Chernarus?

• Yes, but without the WWI and WWII displays.
    • Yes, with the WWI and WWII displays
    • No.

Finding the Machete woefully inadequate, I'd like better melee weapons.

So, I did find an old thread regarding a museum, but it didn't match my vision. So here's my idea:

In one of the larger, more cultural/touristy towns (Cherno, for example), there could be a museum.

In my vision, this museum would have swords, axes, a hunnish bow (I imagine chernarus is far enough east that recurve technology was not lost as it was in western europe), and a crossbow.

I would like to see various medieval melee weaponry, as I feel the melee weapons now essentially consist of the pickaxe, the fireaxe, the splitting axe, and the farming hoe.

I'd like to see:

A thrusting dagger

A rapier

A broadsword

A shortsword

Some sort of melee purposeful axe, maybe throwing axes too, using the physics system?

A mace

A neat thing about smaller weapons, was in the mod, iirc, the fireaxe didn't work in smaller spaces. With a sword, you could move from the general swing to a quick pierce animation indoors and still remain lethal.

The "archaic" crossbow, (an arbelesque, really)  instead of firing your typical bolts, would fire steel bolts, and would have increased range, damage, and most importantly, penetration. I would like this to have traditional crossbow sights, either your ladder peep sight, or a coin shaped rear sight with several holes for various distances, and using the tip of the bolt for the front sight.

simple_sight_small.jpg

renaissance_sight_small.jpg

The hunnish bow would be similar to the bows in game, but lacking sights, instead requiring the user to manually aim down the length of the arrow with the arrow aligned to the mouth. Arrows should be compatible. (In real life, bow lengths vary, and thus so do arrow lengths, in so much as many sporting good stores offer arrow cutting, but let's ignore this for the sake of gameplay).

Perhaps an item worn on the hand, the archer's glove (in western archery, perhaps craftable?) or the thumb ring (in eastern archery), would greatly increase accuracy?

I suppose the museum could have older firearms from say WWI or WWII, but I would specifically just like to see better melee weapons, and that is the focus of my vision.

Edit: Check out this website for neat crossbow ideas

http://www.crossbows.net/index.php

Edited by agouti
  • Like 2

Personally, I think that the people who voted for no World War displays have a very poor understanding of Eastern Europe...

• Like 4

I'd enjoy sprinting at a man using nothing but a claymore.

• Like 1

I'd enjoy sprinting at a man using nothing but a claymore.

For some reason I envision a man with a claymore mine strapped to his chest and a clacker in his hand.

Even a blunt sword is dangerous. You still got a well balanced metal stick with hand protection and the ability to impale someone.

And polearms might work by sheer weight similar to an oversized splitting axe.

• Like 1

Even a blunt sword is dangerous. You still got a well balanced metal stick with hand protection and the ability to impale someone.

And polearms might work by sheer weight similar to an oversized splitting axe.

In fact, any sort of axe-like weapon is dangerous, even when totally dull. There's still quite a bit of blunt force if you hit someone with it.

Not sure about swords though, I don't think really have a lot of mass to them, not enough to do serious blunt damage, anyway.

For the sake of gameplay, I'd like to see both sharp swords, and sharpening stones, to make swords sharp again. A sharpening stone and oil together (crafting?) could bring to worn. Metal polish could bring it to pristine.

In fact, any sort of axe-like weapon is dangerous, even when totally dull. There's still quite a bit of blunt force if you hit someone with it.

Not sure about swords though, I don't think really have a lot of mass to them, not enough to do serious blunt damage, anyway.

They're long, solid and still form a point when not perfectly sharpened.

A lot of swords are left blunt so the user can grab the blade as a more effective lever and blocking weapon.

They're long too, so as long as there is a bit of weight to them they are deadly weapons, the longer the weapon the faster the end point moves.

A good swords weighs 2-4 lbs. They're supposed to be light.

They're long, solid and still form a point when not perfectly sharpened.

A lot of swords are left blunt so the user can grab the blade as a more effective lever and blocking weapon.

They're long too, so as long as there is a bit of weight to them they are deadly weapons, the longer the weapon the faster the end point moves.

I think many longer swords have a spot in the center where it is indeed blunted, but that is designed so you can angle the blade in a way to stab through the chinks in plate armor.

Edited by Askelon