Sign in to follow this  
d.walker43

cell phone system (similar to gta)

Hi guys, so here is my latest idea. DayZ should include a cell phone system, sort of like the one in GTA 5.  powered on batteries, you should be able to call other people in the game, no matter what distance. Others could hack into your call, and listen to what you were saying. The cell phone could include a camera to take pictures with, or just tons of selfies (credit to Cpanther for an ingame camera idea). Cell phone would have internet option, but it would be disabled. There could be several wi-fi towers or something throughout the map, these could be fixed by the players on a particular server to enable the internet to work, only have certain fictional sites people can use though (similar to GTA again) likewise, people could damage the towers to disable the internet again. There could be other options too on the phone, post them if you think of any.

I don't know if there would be any copyright issues with Rockstar if this system was used, as it is very similar to the cell phone in GTA. If there was, then oh well.

Anyway, that's my idea. post feedback/more suggestions/constructive critisicm below. Keep it on-topic and friendly. Thanks!

• Like 1

Is nothing modern in Chernarus .. well.. except for weapons... somehow every single modern weapon ended up in there, i heard we having Laser rifles soon... probably from aliens ? 

PS; I like this idea by the way.

Edited by Cpanther

Don't we already have something similar in the game already?

y'know, Walkie Talkies...

• Like 6

To be honest.. the full game is a bit contradictory.. in one hand you feel like you are stuck in the 80's with the cars.. buildings.. clothing ... but in the other hand you have modern military gear and weapons... either we go all modern.. or we go all old..but this middle thing is weird.

Edited by Cpanther

where to get gsm signal from? all gsm operators are dead and looking for brainz now.

• Like 3

@d.walker43

Phones, just like radio towers that convey the signal run on electricity, which is seldom available after civilization collapse. And I'm not even going to address the hacking part. 

• Like 1

You may want to read this ;

http://ask.metafilter.com/66025/Would-the-internet-survive-Armageddon

In fact.. the internet is more likely to survive an Apocalypse than humans.

Just because theoritically it could work doesn't mean it belongs in DayZ. Adding such stuff will just break the immersion of zombie apocalypse. There's already walkie-talkies and its enough.

• Like 1

where to get gsm signal from? all gsm operators are dead and looking for brainz now.

Just because theoritically it could work doesn't mean it belongs in DayZ. Adding such stuff will just break the immersion of zombie apocalypse. There's already walkie-talkies and its enough.

Totally agree.

OP, I'm not entirely against the idea, but I think in a post-apocalyptic world there would be no more service providers.

If anything, I'd like to see them expand the walkie talkie mechanic. Maybe players could use a third-party radio to intercept the the players signal that they're broadcasting? Similar to "hacking". Both ideas revolve around eavesdropping.

I think the devs are already working on an in-game camera? Don't quote me on that..

Brainstorm how we can expand walkie talkies  :)

Modern weapons makes sense given the presence of US and Russian forces in the Arma 2 campaign. However, Chernarus doesn't seem to be the sort of place that would have the infrastructure to support a mobile phone network. I also get the impression that 3G and wifi might be a few decades ahead as well. I can see Chernarus having internet cafes, but I see absolutely no reason to want to connect to the internet - like what sites would you ever want to access?

Plus wouldn't mobile phones make radios utterly redundant? They're already pretty useless as they are.

Satellite phones I don't have a problem with, but I can't see many uses for them. The odds of running into a friendly player who also has a satellite phone with whom you can exchange numbers is pretty low.

Honestly I'd rather radios just had a much longer range. If you want to communicate in private you can use a different frequency, and people can listen in if they have the same frequency.

>Sneaking up on a sniper on a hill picking off fresh spawns on the coast

>1 meter behind him ready to axe him a question

>Stupid friend calling you with a ring tone of "I like big butts and i can not lie"

>sniper turns around

>Oh hey..

>*BANG BANG BANG*

>You are DEAD.

Now i understand that you could put it on silence or what ever.. But like someone has said there is already walkie talkies in the game, which is fine and i don't think anyone uses, We also have teamspeak, Skype, Ventrillo, What ever programs you may use as a 3rd party program. kinda another waste of programming that would be added, But don't get me wrong i do like the idea, just seems.. eh, Meh?

No power, so cellphone towers won't work (if there are any in Chenarus).  No power, so internet servers are down, so no internet.  There's ways to charge your cellphone even without a power grid, so you'd have pretty much camera and maybe an electronic note pad, oh, and a clock.  *tosses phone and picks up a box of shotgun slugs*

• Like 1

You may want to read this ;

http://ask.metafilter.com/66025/Would-the-internet-survive-Armageddon

In fact.. the internet is more likely to survive an Apocalypse than humans.

The internet is essentially just a load of computers linked together in a worldwide network. If all those computers are turned off then there is no internet...

• Like 2

I dont think we need phones, atleast for now... *Dies from begin shoot by alien with laser gun*

Modern weapons makes sense given the presence of US and Russian forces in the Arma 2 campaign. However, Chernarus doesn't seem to be the sort of place that would have the infrastructure to support a mobile phone network. I also get the impression that 3G and wifi might be a few decades ahead as well. I can see Chernarus having internet cafes, but I see absolutely no reason to want to connect to the internet - like what sites would you ever want to access?

In most undeveloped countries, cellphones are far more common than you'd believe. Somalia, of all places, has a thriving mobile phone industry. In places like Afghanistan, it's often far easier to simply set up a cellular network in a rural area than setting up telephone lines all over the place.

But I don't support the addition of cellphones to the game. Doesn't fit the atmosphere, really.

Chernarus doesn't seem to be the sort of place that would have the infrastructure to support a mobile phone network. I also get the impression that 3G and wifi might be a few decades ahead as well. I can see Chernarus having internet cafes, but I see absolutely no reason to want to connect to the internet - like what sites would you ever want to access?

It's easier to provide rural areas with network than towns, since you don't have tall buildings there is less signal blocking, so all you need is 2-3 towers and if there aren't too many hills or mountains you're in the clear and while indeed 3g with be problematic it's not decades away, and that's on top of not needing 3g for internet, 3g is faster but not compulsory. And since there are multiple harbours and factories, it might be a place where investments for good network coverage would be made. 

Edited by General Zod

how would you charge it? as far as i know, no phone runs off a nine volt battery...

how would you charge it? as far as i know, no phone runs off a nine volt battery...

Generator+fuel ;)

There was a lot of discussion about cell phones a while back and apparently without maintenance the satelites would drift out of position over time and the network would stop functioning.

I think walkies fill this role fine, Im kinda hoping that txt on them works like global chat used to, except there is a different global channel for each frequency....then instead of the old "anyone in cherno", we start to get "anyone on this frequency" :)

• Like 1

I think the CellPhone Could Be implemented as the only New Spawn Gear (Makes much More Sense to be on ones Person than a Flashlight, i mean who Carries around a Massive Flashlight at all times)

the Battery is not a 9v so it is Limited for the First few Minutes till you Find better Gear (take another Players Battery or Charge it in your Vehicle with a Car Charger Kit), though i Say Not for Calls or internet though i Mean Zero Bars or Wifi without a Grid But Phones Have other Survivor Advantages

I.E.
Clock (Tell what the Server time is)
Calendar (once Seasons are implimented it would be Nice to Know the Date)

Flashlight (incorporated instead of the other Useless one we all throw away)
Camera (in Game Screen Shot System For immersion)
GPS app (Gives you an Idea of Start Location for Newbies) (if the Satellite Hasn't Fallen i Guess)
Notes (till we Find Pen and Paper)

optional (Maybe as Just a Laugh a Zombie Mobile Phone game ;) Doesnt even Have to Work Due to no Servers Found)

Edited by NokyoOkami
  • Like 1

Was sort of against the idea of a cell phone in game, but I guess they would have some value if you can find a means to charge them.  Smartphones would be the 'everything' phone, able to save notes, built in GPS (last time I checked my phone's GPS system worked even when I was out of service, at the very least the maps till functions), flashlight, camera, voice recorder/playback (Decoy device).  Dumb phones would be much more limited (as in notes and flashlight and camera, date and time) but more common.  Smartphones would last a day or less on one charge, where as a dumb phone would last around a week.  You'd need to find means of charging them, like solar chargers or vehicle chargers.  Even crafting a charger from a solar garden lamp.  Obviously there would still be no internet/communications with phones, unless they added repairing the grid or getting cell towers working again as endgame.

Was sort of against the idea of a cell phone in game, but I guess they would have some value if you can find a means to charge them.  Smartphones would be the 'everything' phone, able to save notes, built in GPS (last time I checked my phone's GPS system worked even when I was out of service, at the very least the maps till functions), flashlight, camera, voice recorder/playback (Decoy device).  Dumb phones would be much more limited (as in notes and flashlight and camera, date and time) but more common.  Smartphones would last a day or less on one charge, where as a dumb phone would last around a week.  You'd need to find means of charging them, like solar chargers or vehicle chargers.  Even crafting a charger from a solar garden lamp.  Obviously there would still be no internet/communications with phones, unless they added repairing the grid or getting cell towers working again as endgame.

Yeah my GPS Works when i am Hiking in the Mountains with Zero Reception