Sign in to follow this  
rybec

Sighting in scopes / Alternate sights

I've thrown these ideas into some threads where I felt they were relevant but I want to see them implimented so much that I made a seperate thread.

So an issue some have with scopes mounted to rifles in this game is once you get an SKS or Mosin every single one magically has the capability of having a scope mounted on it. You find one and you're good to go.

I'd like that every time you mount one onto a rifle you have to sight it in. If you've been shooting before this is standard to you. Hunting season coming up? Better take the rifle out in the bush or to the range and make sure you're sighted in and good to go right?

This would have to come with some sort of interface for adjusting it left, right, up or down as I can't see that sort of system working any way with the game currently. If someone wants to commit their rifle ingame to being for shooting at a distance accurately, why shouldn't they run off to a (hopefully not populated) spot in the woods to shoot an impromptu target a couple times?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Of course, not all firearms have their irons obstructed while you have a scope mounted right? I'd enjoy a function out of ACE or Arma3 where a key is bound to switch from your scope to your irons, removing the need to do something so stupid as ripping off that PSO from your AKM since you're about to shoot someone across the street only to slap it right back on to fire at someone a couple hundred meters out in the field immediately after. This would be a godsend when one of these SVDs are added.

SVD%20%281%29.jpg

• Like 1

Yes! I believe iron sights should be zeroed as soon as you grab the gun or at least very close.

But scopes should require adjusting, even if it was on the same gun firing it a lot or taking on and off may have moved it slightly.

And no scope you randomly pick will be zeroed to your rifle.

This is a good feature, that makes long range kills harder and more realistic.

But scopes should require adjusting, even if it was on the same gun firing it a lot or taking on and off may have moved it slightly.

Scopes generally don't lose zero from firing. They can lose zero from getting smacked around.

I like it. If ammo is scarce then players will be less willing to adjust their sights, since they'd be wasting ammo. This in turn would reduce the frequency sniping without necessarily making sniping more difficult (though I think factors like wind should affect the bullet's path).

I think that once a sight (or scope, whatever) is adjusted, it should maintain that adjustment. The only way to knock it off center is to take the scope off and put it on again. Then again it could be beneficial to have extremely small changes over the course of several hours so players (and especially snipers) need to maintain their weapons.

Iron sights should natively be better adjusted than scopes, but any inaccuracy should be noticeable at a distance.

I also like the idea of being able to use iron sights alongside a scope. I don't know much about guns, but would they need to be adjusted separately? 

I like it. If ammo is scarce then players will be less willing to adjust their sights, since they'd be wasting ammo. This in turn would reduce the frequency sniping without necessarily making sniping more difficult (though I think factors like wind should affect the bullet's path).

I think that once a sight (or scope, whatever) is adjusted, it should maintain that adjustment. The only way to knock it off center is to take the scope off and put it on again. Then again it could be beneficial to have extremely small changes over the course of several hours so players (and especially snipers) need to maintain their weapons.

Iron sights should natively be better adjusted than scopes, but any inaccuracy should be noticeable at a distance.

I also like the idea of being able to use iron sights alongside a scope. I don't know much about guns, but would they need to be adjusted separately? 

In many military guns, iron sights aren't "adjustable" per se. You'll need a small hammer. Though in some of them you can raise or lower the front sight post. Of course, there are exceptions. Generally adjusting is just click the button and moving the rear sight forward or backward to adjust for distance. They're usually already "sighted in".

Good scopes used by snipers will generally require even less adjustment (once sighted in). Some cheap ass scopes never seem to hold a zero, but any decent one will, and won't need to be adjusted. The idea of snipers adjusting scopes is for super long ranges. Anything within 400 yards won't really require adjustments, except for maybe a slower moving round that needs to be adjusted for distance. Many military scopes have different chevrons for different distances anyway, so if you had for say, a PSOP scope calibrated for the 7.62x39, you just put it on the chevron for 400 meters and call it good. That round really isn't any good beyond that distance anyway.

Edit: the PSO comes in two different flavors, in addition to the method of mounting, there are two reticles, one for long range with a single chevron used for precise shooting and 3 lower chevrons for area shooting at extreme long distances, and the other for a 400 meter 7.62x39 round which each reticle corresponding to a 100 meter, 200 meter, etc. to 400 meters.

Edited by agouti