Sign in to follow this  
agouti

New Ammo Request: 8mm

So I was wondering, will we get the 8mm mauser round?

You're probably thinking, but oh, what else can use the ammo for it?

Well, here's my idea:

You can use the k98, the g43, the g41, the yugo m78/m76, the mg34, and the mg42.

The k98 was very common, and the g43 isn't exceptionally rare either. They used to import them in the US in the 1960s before that silly GCA of '68, for what, like $50? ($200 today).

The k98 would also make a good sniper platform.

The g43 has a detachable mag, but was primarily loaded through stripper clips, while the g41 has an integral mag loaded only through stripper clips. The g43 is vastly superior to the g41, but the issues of reliability aren't captured in dayz.

All of these weapons, even the mg42, have options for optics, as the 8mm is potent and effective long range.

Kar_98K_-_AM.021488.jpg

Zastava-M76-Full.jpg

Automatgev%C3%A4r_m1943_-_Tyskland_-_AM.

• Like 2

So I was wondering, will we get the 8mm mauser round?

You're probably thinking, but oh, what else can use the ammo for it?

Well, here's my idea:

You can use the k98, the g43, the g41, the yugo m78/m76, the mg34, and the mg42.

The k98 was very common, and the g43 isn't exceptionally rare either. They used to import them in the US in the 1960s before that silly GCA of '68, for what, like $50? ($200 today).

The k98 would also make a good sniper platform.

The g43 has a detachable mag, but was primarily loaded through stripper clips, while the g41 has an integral mag loaded only through stripper clips. The g43 is vastly superior to the g41, but the issues of reliability aren't captured in dayz.

All of these weapons, even the mg42, have options for optics, as the 8mm is potent and effective long range.

Kar_98K_-_AM.021488.jpg

Zastava-M76-Full.jpg

Automatgev%C3%A4r_m1943_-_Tyskland_-_AM.

I like guns, and photos of guns. Have some beans!

Edited by Bakermensch
  • Like 1

Unfortunately this caliber is disappearing in Eastern Europe after the hunters began to replace sporterized versions of the M98 (most of them are guns adapted to the needs of hunters in the communist era, from surplus weapons that were captured during the Second World War and the newly produced rifles from Yugoslavia) new weapon beginning of this century. But there is still quite a lot of M98 (hunterized and military versions) in trade.
Hunterized version looks something like this.

img_7901.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
Edited by Uweron1010

Sounds good but you do know there is no need for optics on every weapon.

The mauser could be added as a low tier bolt action, iron sight only gun.

Accesories perhaps only being rifle grenades and a bayonet.

Sounds good but you do know there is no need for optics on every weapon.

The mauser could be added as a low tier bolt action, iron sight only gun.

Accesories perhaps only being rifle grenades and a bayonet.

But the mauser is so much more accurate than the mosin, and the SVT-40 btw, can take PU scopes, I would hope. So why not a generic scope for the k98, g43, etc.? The zf39 or the zf4 could be used for either.

But the mauser is so much more accurate than the mosin, and the SVT-40 btw, can take PU scopes, I would hope. So why not a generic scope for the k98, g43, etc.? The zf39 or the zf4 could be used for either.

From what I understand the mosin already lost the LRS.

Reason for not a generic scope on the k98 would be that none exist ? unlike the pu scope no optic is produced today that is readily available as a pu scope that can be bought on amazon for about 100 bucks.

All I am saying is it doesn't need any optics its fine with irons.

9x39mm is much more relevant so if anything I would like to see that as it allows for AS VALs and VSS vintorezs amongst others. 8mm would still be great and the kar98k above all else has a place in DayZ.

From what I understand the mosin already lost the LRS.

Reason for not a generic scope on the k98 would be that none exist ? unlike the pu scope no optic is produced today that is readily available as a pu scope that can be bought on amazon for about 100 bucks.

All I am saying is it doesn't need any optics its fine with irons.

You won't find many good quality optics for $100.

That being said, a quick search of amazon reveals:

A $632 very well made reproduction scope from an original contractor. Not including the mount.

http://www.amazon.com/Sniper-Riflescope-Meopta-Storage-Accessories/dp/B008AKK08O/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1410823636&sr=8-9&keywords=zf4

You won't find many good quality optics for $100.

That being said, a quick search of amazon reveals:

A $632 very well made reproduction scope from an original contractor. Not including the mount.

http://www.amazon.com/Sniper-Riflescope-Meopta-Storage-Accessories/dp/B008AKK08O/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1410823636&sr=8-9&keywords=zf4

Cool collectors piece.

Point still stands however.

The k98 and any of the guns you listed would be fine additions without scopes.

The sks for instance is another gun that could use the removal of the pu scope for instance.

Do you have something against scopes? Scopes make spotting much easier, and allow for far more accurate shot placement. It's not just snipers that have scopes, most modern militaries now include scopes on their basic rifles.

Do you have something against scopes? Scopes make spotting much easier, and allow for far more accurate shot placement. It's not just snipers that have scopes, most modern militaries now include scopes on their basic rifles.

No I have nothing against scopes when it makes sense for the weapon.

Having a ww2 curio relic have scopes in game is not believeable just like somehow magically mounting a pu scope on a sks isnt.

No I have nothing against scopes when it makes sense for the weapon.

Having a ww2 curio relic have scopes in game is not believeable just like somehow magically mounting a pu scope on a sks isnt.

The mosin and the sks both use the same scope mount. They both require the same rail to attach the mount and scope. With both rifles, you need to literally remove some of the stock and rivet on a rail. They both require literally the same amount of work and same setup to attach the PU scope. It's a standard rail.

Mosins don't come with rails by default either.

The mosin and the sks both use the same scope mount. They both require the same rail to attach the mount and scope. With both rifles, you need to literally remove some of the stock and rivet on a rail. They both require literally the same amount of work and same setup to attach the PU scope. It's a standard rail.

Mosins don't come with rails by default either.

Both require a substantial amount of gunsmithing and machining to mount optics on.

They already removed the lrs on the mosin they probably will remove any of the unrealistic accessories on the other weapons too.

The yugo sks has no way to mount a pu scope

Yugo_SKS.jpg

In order to mount a pu scope outside mounts need to not only be found and procured but purchased.

At the end of the game it all comes down to not having to have optics or scopes on every weapon.

Optics including red dot sights should be restricted to a select few high end guns in the game this is good for gameplay and is realistic.

On the same token if the weapon can take a scope in real life it should in game if its in. This mainly applies to m4 not being able to get the LRS.

Having the vast majority of the guns in the game that you find and encounter on other players be restricted to Iron sights through lack of accessories and or extremely rare scope spawns would be great for gameplay.

Don't see the point of having another full-sized rifle cartridge if we're already going to have .30-06 (for a hunting cartridge), 7.62x54mmR (for the "more common"/Eastern military rifle cartridge), and 7.62x51mm (for the "rare"/high-end/Western military rifle cartridge)

Plus you can replicate a lot of the guns here with conversions in existing calibers;

Karabiner 98k Sporter - 7.62x51mm & .30-06 variants

800px-KaribinerSporter.jpg

MG3 - 7.62x51mm

800px-MG_3.jpg

Of course, you don't get the G41/G43, MG34, or Zastava M76 (even though we're getting an SVD)

But then again, how different would the MG-34 be from the MG-42 gameplay wise, and what do the G41 & G43 necessitate when we can already do the M1 Garand, SVT-40 (this one especially), M14, FN FAL, G3, and plenty of other battle rifles?

Both require a substantial amount of gunsmithing and machining to mount optics on.

They already removed the lrs on the mosin they probably will remove any of the unrealistic accessories on the other weapons too.

The yugo sks has no way to mount a pu scope

Check out my other thread about scope compatibility.

12899529-wts-yugo-sks-night-scope-for-sk

Edited by agouti

Having the vast majority of the guns in the game that you find and encounter on other players be restricted to Iron sights through lack of accessories and or extremely rare scope spawns would be great for gameplay.

But that's just it, the optics themselves should still exist, they should just be rare. No sense in forcing every single gun in the game to ironsights, especially considering optics are a super common thing nowadays; ironsights, while they always have a place, are losing out to optics most of the time.

That, and having a red dot sight doesn't suddenly make you pinpoint accurate or give you an aimbot, it just puts a small reticle inside of glass that points to where the target would be, instead of a metal reticle attached directly to the gun.

Don't know what other unrealistic accessories there are to be removed. The only thing you could argue is odd would be the PU scope on the Yugo SKS, but it can still be done, and unlike the LRS to the mosin, doesn't block the clip port on the rifle.

Don't know what other unrealistic accessories there are to be removed. The only thing you could argue is odd would be the PU scope on the Yugo SKS, but it can still be done, and unlike the LRS to the mosin, doesn't block the clip port on the rifle.

That is really it.

The LRS was removed from the mosin pu removed from the sks and the pso scope not elevate correctly for the akm any elevation adjustments should correspond to the 7.62x54r. The LRS should mount on the cz 527 and the m4.

Basically if the gun mounts with easy or no machining in real life It should in game.

I love your idea of the mg3 btw.

Edited by gibonez

That is really it.

The LRS was removed from the mosin pu removed from the sks and the pso scope not elevate correctly for the akm any elevation adjustments should correspond to the 7.62x54r. The LRS should mount on the cz 527 and the m4.

Basically if the gun mounts with easy or no machining in real life It should in game.

It's not fucking machining, it's riveting a small rail onto the receiver and cutting out a bit of the stock. It's real basic.

Edit: Here's a youtube video.

Edited by agouti

It's not fucking machining, it's riveting a small rail onto the receiver and cutting out a bit of the stock. It's real basic.

Edit: Here's a youtube video.

Semantics.

Point is these are dirty, starving survivors who are just scraping by picking up whatever scraps and tools they can get their hands on.

Does it really make sense for them to not only have the tools for the job but the very specific parts seen in the video ? of course not.

• Like 1

Semantics.

Point is these are dirty, starving survivors who are just scraping by picking up whatever scraps and tools they can get their hands on.

Does it really make sense for them to not only have the tools for the job but the very specific parts seen in the video ? of course not.

I'm with you, I love the gameplay style I get out of an SKS with a PU, but I believe such modifications should require you to have a bit of stuff.

When we see base building added, I would like to see something like a work bench for modifying guns, installing mounts and rails for different scopes.

Reloading bullets with empty cases you would probably grab after a gunfight. Because I think ammo should be precious, making reloading a necessary routine for a trigger happy fellow.

Someone that wants an LMG might be working off the same 200 rounds, and primers and powder should be common in Chernarus gun stores since most people cruising in for a raid early on would just grab all the rounds and leave the reloading equipment.

That is really it.

PSO scopes are used on AKMs in real life, though. Sure, they may not be elevated correctly, but it's certainly possible to put them on there, and it doesn't take really any more work than it would to put other existing eastern optics on weapons ingame.

That, and it can still be useful, you just have to put more time into setting it up.

rpk2.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

That doesn't look like a super complicated job to me. You said it yourself that anything that could be mounted on a gun in real life should be able to in DayZ, even if it's useless. Hell, I made the argument that you should be able to put the M4A1 Carry Handle on the MP5K and Crossbow, simply because you could, even though it would be bugger all useless.

Likewise, putting a PU scope on a Yugo SKS M59/66 doesn't take that much work, either. It's just not as simple as screwing an Aimpoint CompM2 onto 20mm RIS.

Now, I do agree that the LRS should be used on the CR-527 and M4A1 (even though the 527 is 7.62x39mm now), because the CR-527 has the rails on the receiver for it, and the M4A1 could clearly fit it on the upper receiver. Then, the M4A1 could be a useful spotting/marksman rifle, and the CR-527 would be a better brush gun.

Semantics.

You're acting like the entire game is supposed to be that, like the end-game will be finding one can of food or a not-ruined 9x19mm bullet. That's the problem with your fundamental ideology for DayZ; you assume the entire game needs to be a struggle and anything that actually takes any mechanical work to do isn't possible for someone starving to do. Oh, and even considering the possibility that someone who is/used to be starving could ever have anything that "looks too modern", because it's completely jarring.

Not saying I really want hard-to-do attachments on weapons, but you need to stop arguing as if any complicated work shouldn't be present simply because people are just scraping by, and as if that will always be the case.

They already removed the lrs on the mosin 

What ? They removed LRS from the only long range gun in the game ? Before adding new one ? What the fuck ?

Edited by General Zod

PSO scopes are used on AKMs in real life, though. Sure, they may not be elevated correctly, but it's certainly possible to put them on there, and it doesn't take really any more work than it would to put other existing eastern optics on weapons ingame.

That, and it can still be useful, you just have to put more time into setting it up.

Likewise, putting a PU scope on a Yugo SKS M59/66 doesn't take that much work, either. It's just not as simple as screwing an Aimpoint CompM2 onto 20mm RIS.

Exactly, once the rail is on either an AK or an SKS/SVD/Mosin (the v clamp or the mosin style rail), you can easily attach the PSOP, PSO-1, or the PU scope.

It's not brain surgery to attach a rail to a rifle. If anything, it's tougher on the mosin because of the rounded receiver, and the rail is slightly different (not in the interface to the scope mount, which it has in common with the SKS and SVD, but to the rifle).

Thus a PSO-1 style scope shouldn't attach to both the AK and the SVD, but if it can attach to both styles, it should be attachable to everything with either one of those two styles.

Edit: I made a thread on scope compatibility. It's worth a look for all parties.

Edited by agouti

What ? They removed LRS from the only long range gun in the game ? Before adding new one ? What the fuck ?

They haven't removed the option to attach the long range scope to the moisin , I don't know what these guys are referring to but I just got a moisin on experimental last night and attached a long range scope to it, but I like the idea of another ammo type , I just want unique guns seeing as we have very plain looking guns right now (I'm no gun fanatic so I tend to go by look , my favorite is the FN-FAL for look and style ;) )