Cpanther

Religion in DayZ, is a god out there ?

First of all...i'm not the religious type, not by a long shot....but.. i notice that Chernarus is full with Church's and Chapels.. but i haven't seen a single religious book anywhere, or religious clothing like Vestments or other garments.. maybe even a cross somewhere that you can put in you inventory. Surely religion have to play a "part" in the end of the world... good V's evil and all that ?

Edited by Cpanther

the god of dayz is Dean "Bean" "Rocket" Hall 

Edited by DMentMan

First of all...i'm not the religious type, not by a long shot....but.. i notice that Chernarus is full with Church's and Chapels.. but i haven't seen a single religious book anywhere, or religious clothing like Vestments or other garments.. maybe even a cross somewhere that you can put in you inventory. Surely religion have to play a "part" in the end of the world... good V's evil and all that ?

Weird, I find bibles all the time.

• Like 3

Weird, I find bibles all the time.

I haven't seen any.. well..i never tried to find one....but, it just feels that it could have a more significant impact in the game.

You can find a Bible. It should be a melee weapon, instantly killing the undead through the power of Jebus.

• Like 1

the book of job and the new testament are both books available in the game. as for the vestments, not yet if ever. I would love to have a nun's habit, I would carry bibles and a magnum. I would work to be famous for being heard to share the word or spread the lead till everyones dead, of course I would offer the choice. I would prefer not to shoot but how else to protect the sanctity of the church in the apocalypse? that would be just the kind of RP that might change my playstyle.

• Like 1

the book of job and the new testament are both books available in the game. as for the vestments, not yet if ever. I would love to have a nun's habit, I would carry bibles and a magnum. I would work to be famous for being heard to share the word or spread the lead till everyones dead, of course I would offer the choice. I would prefer not to shoot but how else to protect the sanctity of the church in the apocalypse? that would be just the kind of RP that might change my playstyle.

Yeah.. that is what i talking about.. like in some Episodes in The Walking Dead where is some religious references.

Edited by Cpanther

good idea with the good vs evil thing, one thing that REALLY annoyed me about the mod was the fact that bandits made your heart beat faster, it gave away the element of surprise when you are one.

it would be nice if there was some honour system where if you're good you be rewarded for your efforts, both good and bad, more so bad in my case, but i dont see how it'd come to life in a game like this.
sure, if it was wow you could have a better chance a rare loot coming your way, but considering dayz is a "dog eat dog" world where we are all in the same amount of luck and it's purely down to the fact of how much effort you have to give to the game, can't see it becoming a thing.

but yeah, the church thing is weird, i'm like you, never found anything in game that would say there is anything, it'd be kinda cool but to come across a town in the middle of no where that has had "people" try to bunker in it and in return has food and other items you'd need.

good idea with the good vs evil thing, one thing that REALLY annoyed me about the mod was the fact that bandits made your heart beat faster, it gave away the element of surprise when you are one.

it would be nice if there was some honour system where if you're good you be rewarded for your efforts, both good and bad, more so bad in my case, but i dont see how it'd come to life in a game like this.

sure, if it was wow you could have a better chance a rare loot coming your way, but considering dayz is a "dog eat dog" world where we are all in the same amount of luck and it's purely down to the fact of how much effort you have to give to the game, can't see it becoming a thing.

but yeah, the church thing is weird, i'm like you, never found anything in game that would say there is anything, it'd be kinda cool but to come across a town in the middle of no where that has had "people" try to bunker in it and in return has food and other items you'd need.

Maybe something like "karma" .. but... no sure how that will go, most people don't want anything that will restrict their actions.. specially the "evil" ones.

Edited by Cpanther

Orthodox Chernorussian.

СТАРЫЙ СОБОР would be Old Cathedral.

I said i wasn't the religious type... :P

But thanks for the clarification.  :thumbsup:

You know what they say...

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing "

Of course.. in this case is ;

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for Dean Hall to do nothing "

the god of dayz is Dean "Bean" "Rocket" Hall 

Well in that case, just like in real life, the god will abandon it's creation. 

I say at the very least we get a zombie priest.

That kind that baptizes you in your own blood and gore?

Definitely YES! Plus we need priest clothing, but make it rare.

Imagine a world in hell, where your past prayers have proven useless.
Consider that world as a (nasty) gift of your God for your faith and devotion.

Then imagine yourself as infected : you see symptom on you, you will turn as a "zombie" soon, it's a matter of days and you know it.
Cursed, no remedy known.
Will you give up and sit to pray your "unfair evil" God?

- Or will you struggle to find salvation from...elsewhere.
Human despair lead to desperate attempts.

It is not because there are orthodox church from the good old days that people would stick to that traditional faith.
I expect to find on zombie (once lootable) various useless stuff such pocket format Bible, Qran, ritual stuff (gris-gris), or satanic, voodoo, Budhist statuette, also herbals pills (even homemade) alchimist stuff for healing, and plenty of esoteric things ("magic" mineral stones, runes, talisman, amulet, incens, etc...).

Edited by JiJi

Imagine a world in hell, where your past prayers have proven useless.

Consider that world as a gift of your God for your faith and devotion.

Then imagine yourself as "infected" : you see symptom on you, you will turn as a "zombie" soon it's a matter of time and you know it.

Cursed, no remedy known.

Will you give up and sit to pray your unfair evil God?

- Or will you struggle to find salvation from...elsewhere.

Human despair lead to desperate attempts.

It is not because there are orthodox church from the good old days that people would stick to that traditional faith.

I expect to find on zombie (once lootable) various useless stuff such pocket format Bible, Qran, ritual stuff (gris-gris), or satanic, voodoo, Budhist figurine, and of course herbals pills, and plenty of esoteric things.

Fair enough.. you can't have good without evil, still... evil shouldn't be allow to have a "free for all buffet" in which people can do whatever the fuck they want without any consequences... Karma is a strong shit, you want to believe it or not.

Errr... I never meant this is Good, and that is Evil.
I just speculate about a psychological effect on population engulfed in madness/chaos, and their relationship with religion or "mysticism".

No further.

I know most of you don't want to think about what you doing.. but in real life if you do something good, you will "feel" good, if you do something bad you will "feel" bad..the more horrible things you do, the more guilt you have, the more you lose your humanity, and the more evil you become... that is what "Karma" is.. things you do come back to bite you in the ass....DayZ doesn't reflects this.. it doesn't "generates" this very important part about life.

Edited by Cpanther

I know most of you don't want to think about what you doing.. but in real life if you do something good, you will "feel" good, if you do something bad you will "feel" bad..the more horrible things you do, the more guilt you have, the more you lose your humanity, and the more evil you become... that is what "Karma" is.. things you do come back to bite you in the ass....DayZ doesn't reflects this.. it doesn't "generates" this very important part about life.

Not necessarily truth, on many occasion after doing bad things and bringing harm to other I felt good, especially if they earned it. Two eyes for an eye. And no things you do not always come back and bite you on your ass, in fact most evil in this world goes unpunished. 

Edited by General Zod

Not necessarily truth, on many occasion after doing bad things and bringing harm to other I felt good, especially if they earned it. Two eyes for an eye. And no things you do not always come back and bite you on your ass, in fact most evil in this world goes unpunished. 

That is the type of thing that someone that plays to much games will say... i bet you anything in real life you are a pussycat... you probably haven't even killed a fly in you entire life.

Edited by Cpanther

That is the type of thing that someone that plays to much games will say... i bet you anything in real life you are a pussycat... you probably haven't even killed a fly in you entire life.

I am not a moderator but Cpanther calm down please...

You have started an interesting topic, now don't digress with "karma" (ingame or not) or ad hominem attack.

• Like 1

I am not a moderator but Cpanther calm down please...

You have started an interesting topic, now don't digress with "karma" (ingame or not) or ad hominem attack.

Yeah... if i am "Bad" Karma may come to bite me in the ass with a ban...won't that be ironic ?

I tell yah.. Karma is a bitch .. i already been banned about 6 times in the Steam forums for being a nasty person...

Edited by Cpanther