Katana67

Weapons - Where Should They Go Next?

My only hesitation to full blown modularity is due to the adverse effects it will have on gameplay.

Mass modularity for the sake of modularity only serves to blend the roles of the guns in the game further something that is bad for gameplay.

Take the AKM and the M4 for instance due to drum mags being in the game for these two guns there is pretty much zero reason to include an rpk74 or any lmg or gpmg aside from pure aesthetics.

Sure you might argue that later on weapon accessories will be made rarer the instances of fully kitted out m4s and akms will be severely diminished but we all know nothing is ever, ever rare in dayz and people will find a way to loot farm, or dupe or whatever other trickery they do to make these weapons abundant.

Limited modularity on 90 percent of the weapons is a huge benefit for gameplay as it would open up opportunities for including unique set of weapons in the game valued not only for their aesthetics but also because of the specific role they might play. The AUG a1 is one such weapon. It might be sought after not because it is a bullpup but because of the unique scope that it comes equipped with.

The sig 550 might be another such example sought after because of the built in Bipod with the negatives of not being able to readily take any of the rail mounted optics.

This approach to the weapons would on the other hand also put a much higher value on the extremely modular weapons like the m4 and make them highly sought after as they should. If the game treats the weapons with realism in mind when it comes to their handling , accuracy and damage values the only tangible value that puts one weapon ahead of another is how modular it is.

Modularity should be king in Stand Alone but only on a select few weapons the majority of the weapons should all fit into niches.

Naw man all the gun i want is the Sig 556 XI that bad boy can chamber both the AK and Nato rounds as well as 300 blackout. Limited modularity can be beneficial to rarer gun types indeed but if I had to choose one gun it would be the one i can chamber the best of booth ammo types to and well as have a wide variety of attachments to get me through most fights. Screw the M4A1 and the AKs with there limited capability of ammo types lol.

However i don't expect certain guns to magically except every type of ammo like an AK using .50 or something absurd like that. Only functional real world guns that would be capable of realistically chambering different types of calibers. We can counter the absurd modularity with it being a really rare gun. But these kinds of guns would be the top of the line all around survival types of guns for ppl that have lived a long time and have hunted for days and months for just one shot at them.

Edited by Deathlove

Unique shotguns besides the pump shotgun coming out would be a real treat to. Especially the military rotating barrel shotgun and even triple barrel shotgun.

12 gauge 16 round shotgun

Even the AA 12 would be welcomed

And if shotguns are going to be the most limited of weapon types than im hopping they at least get modularity in ammo types.

Of all those... only the M1 Garand, such a special weapon... but how the hell that weapon ended up in Russia ? :huh:

Well they did make roughly 6 million of them. And I would assume the same way russian made weapons make it here to America over the years. I mean it's a great weapon and I'm sure gun enthusiasts around the world would want one or most likely have one.

An M1 G. appearing in Russia would make pretty decent sense to me.

Of all those... only the M1 Garand, such a special weapon... but how the hell that weapon ended up in Russia ? :huh:

Dude its like 2014 not the 1900's use your imagination on how weapons get to russia :p russia has lots of organized crime i mean do the math lol.

Has anyone thought of adding more scopes, and by scopes I mean a lot of scopes. I feel so constricted right now. I guess some will come in the future, but it should really be priority as new weapons come out. I hate seeing guns without attachments or extra goodies with them. So basic. >:(

• Like 1

Has anyone thought of adding more scopes, and by scopes I mean a lot of scopes. I feel so constricted right now. I guess some will come in the future, but it should really be priority as new weapons come out. I hate seeing guns without attachments or extra goodies with them. So basic. > :(

That's how most guns in the world are Basic.

Basic is not necessarily bad Irons don't break. Irons are cheap, and irons work. There is a reason why most weapons in the world have irons.

If the world truly did end the chances of encountering 4x 1500+ dollar scopes for your weapons would be extremely rare. Sure you can find them in current conflicts but that is because of organized entities supplying them.

• Like 4

"I told them there might be a Steyr AUG put into the game."

XNNm2Nd.gif?1

• Like 1

Has anyone thought of adding more scopes, and by scopes I mean a lot of scopes. I feel so constricted right now. I guess some will come in the future, but it should really be priority as new weapons come out. I hate seeing guns without attachments or extra goodies with them.

Absolutely. Well, just optics in general.

I think, for starters, they need to include the Hunting Scope that has been in the files for a while.

After that, I think we need a proper mil-dot scope.

Then I think the AKs could use a few CQC optics (like a Kobra or PK01-Vi).

Then I'd like to see some commonly found "Western" optics like Aimpoint T-1s and EOTechs. Followed by some cool 4x sights like some from Elcan.

That's how most guns in the world are Basic.

Basic is not necessarily bad Irons don't break. Irons are cheap, and irons work. There is a reason why most weapons in the world have irons.

If the world truly did end the chances of encountering 4x 1500+ dollar scopes for your weapons would be extremely rare. Sure you can find them in current conflicts but that is because of organized entities supplying them.

Irons work. They are not "good". What do you mean by cheap? Cheaper then a $300 scope? Where are your priorities in a zombie apocalypse. The whole realism argument is so retarded. We fight that we should have boring guns because that is most common and cost effective, mean while we are able to sprint for an infinite distance, and magically repair bullet wounds with rags. Done with people like you. Also, "If the world truly did end the chances of encountering 4x 1500+ dollar scopes for your weapons would be extremely rare."  you don't know that.

"Irons don't break."  Iron sights can and do break.

Absolutely. Well, just optics in general.

I think, for starters, they need to include the Hunting Scope that has been in the files for a while.

After that, I think we need a proper mil-dot scope.

Then I think the AKs could use a few CQC optics (like a Kobra or PK01-Vi).

Then I'd like to see some commonly found "Western" optics like Aimpoint T-1s and EOTechs. Followed by some cool 4x sights like some from Elcan.

Hunting scope would be great. Mil dot would also be nice. CQC scopes need to come in now that Dayz hates snipers. I don't know that western optics will come in because of all the complaints of it making no sense being in Russia.

Here is my favorite scope of all time. Chances of it making it into the game: 5%

http://images2.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-trijicon-rfx-42mm-6pt5-moa-amb-dot-sgt-blk-15-fltp-mnt-rx30-23-front-v1.jpg

If I was in control of the direction weapons are going in DayZ I'd have a clear plan. It would be something like this:

1. Split 7.62 in to two seperate cartridges: 7.62x51 NATO and 7.62x54R for Soviet era weapons (Mosin, SVD, PKM.
  2. I'd like to add a few extremely common 7.62x51 battle rifles that have seen use across the globe for the past 40 years. Either the FN FAL, the H&K G3 or both would be nice.
  3. Change .380 ACP to 9x18 Makarov add the Bizon SMG and rename Makarov PM and PM-63 RAK
  4. Expand upon and complete a standard selection of Soviet/Russian military firearms to flesh out military base spawns. Would like to see a few rare weapons like the VSS Vintorez, PKM and SV-98 added as well as the special purpose 9x39mm for use with rare Russian weapons.
  5. Continue to flesh out the civilian weapon table. Would like to see a few more Russian/Eastern European hunting rifles and shotguns added for variety's sake. 
Edited by Count_Blackula
  • Like 1

If I was in control of the direction weapons are going in DayZ I'd have a clear plan. It would be something like this:

1. Split 7.62 in to two seperate cartridges: 7.62x51 NATO and 7.62x54R for Soviet era weapons (Mosin, SVD, PKM.
  2. I'd like to add a few extremely common 7.62x51 battle rifles that have seen use across the globe for the past 40 years. Either the FN FAL, the H&K G3 or both would be nice.
  3. Change .380 ACP to 9x18 Makarov add the Bizon SMG and rename Makarov PM and PM-63 RAK
  4. Expand upon and complete a standard selection of Soviet/Russian military firearms to flesh out military base spawns. Would like to see a few rare weapons like the VSS Vintorez, PKM and SV-98 added as well as the special purpose 9x39mm for use with rare Russian weapons.
  5. Continue to flesh out the civilian weapon table. Would like to see a few more Russian/Eastern European hunting rifles and shotguns added for variety's sake. 

They don't need to change .380 ACP to 9x18mm to add the Bizon, as there's a, for all intents and purposes, identical variant that uses .380 ACP. There's also one that uses straight magazines firing 9x19mm. Even if they did, the IJ70 would probably stay the IJ70, as Baikal also made black IJ70s in 9x18mm. I say keep .380 ACP to allow a good mix of both Eastern conversions and Western guns like the Walther PP, Beretta 1934, & MAC-11.

Can agree with the rest.

They don't need to change .380 ACP to 9x18mm to add the Bizon, as there's a, for all intents and purposes, identical variant that uses .380 ACP. There's also one that uses straight magazines firing 9x19mm. Even if they did, the IJ70 would probably stay the IJ70, as Baikal also made black IJ70s in 9x18mm. I say keep .380 ACP to allow a good mix of both Eastern conversions and Western guns like the Walther PP, Beretta 1934, & MAC-11.

Can agree with the rest.

The 9x18mm is purely for authenticity's sake. It doesn't feel right using .380 auto in a post-Soviet setting. The 9x18mm Makarov is probably the most common pistol cartridge in Russia and surrounding countries and is pretty iconic. The .380 also doesn't leave any doors open with regards to adding in new weapons. The only firearms that use it are variants of other 9x19 or 9x18 weapons that were never mass-produced and rather obscure Western pistols. Tbh we don't really need more pistols at the moment. 

Edited by Count_Blackula

Damn you people think small! Here is what I want so that I can control the coastal zone and blast any point in Chernarus at will. And as a kicker I want some 14" VX Nerve gas rounds.

bb%2043%204%2012%2043-L.jpg

USS Tennessee in its post Pearl Harbor (1944) iteration. But in the spirit of The former Soviet Block I'll settle for this

kirov_class.jpg

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

The 9x18mm is purely for authenticity's sake. It doesn't feel right using .380 auto in a post-Soviet setting. The 9x18mm Makarov is probably the most common pistol cartridge in Russia and surrounding countries and is pretty iconic. The .380 also doesn't leave any doors open with regards to adding in new weapons. The only firearms that use it are variants of other 9x19 or 9x18 weapons that were never mass-produced and rather obscure Western pistols. Tbh we don't really need more pistols at the moment. 

I wouldn't call the Walther PP or MAC-11 obscure, at all. That argument is invalid anyway, because the list of 9x18mm guns is far more obscure than .380 ACP, which is a relatively common pistol caliber. There are no 9x18mm Walthers, no 9x18mm MACs, no 9x18mm Berettas, etc. In fact, there are far more 9x18mm "base model" guns with .380 conversions than .380 "base model" guns with 9x18mm conversions, of which there are very few.

If you want to ignore pistols, fine;

• PM-63 RAK | 9x18mm-base model, has .380 PM-73 already in game
  • PM-84 Glauberyt | 9x18mm-base model, has a 9x19mm model
  • PP-91 Kedr | 9x18mm-base model, no conversions
  • Skorpion Vz.61 | .32 ACP-base model, .380, 9x18mm, & 9x19mm, among other conversions
  • OTs-02 Kiparis | 9x18mm-base model, no conversions
  • Bizon PP-19 | 9x18mm-base model, .380 & 9x19mm, among other converisons
  • Arsenal Shipka | 9x18mm-base model, 9x19mm conversions
  • APS Stetchkin | 9x18mm-base model, 9x19mm conversions (Machine Pistol)
  • OTs-33 Pernach | 9x18mm-base model, no conversions (Machine Pistol)

As you can see, most of them can be replicated with 9x19mm and/or .380 ACP. Yes, there are more 9x18mm SMGs than that, but that's just a general overview.

I never thought having 9x18mm OR .380 ACP was necessary, considering there's nothing that .22LR, 9x19mm, .45 ACP, and .357 Magnum really couldn't do already. However, with a larger overall variety of guns chambered in .380 ACP and most Eastern Bloc guns having conversions available, in addition to completely avoiding confusion, .380 ACP was a perfectly fine alternative.

Basically, it just boils down to the stupid, but still recognizable issue of confusion. You can quite clearly see that MOST of these guns are available across the board, but the real reason .380 ACP was chosen over 9x18mm is because the devs did not want two bullets called after "9mm" ingame. It's a stupid issue, and I would've been okay with either, but honestly the potential for both is just a bunch of pistols & SMGs, and not every single design is going to be added from either, so .380 ACP allows for the greatest variance.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

I'd like to change my answer from more improvised weapons to less lethal options.  Rubber bullets that deal shock but no damage, tranquilizers, blowpipes, tazers, you name it.

A non-lethal playstyle should be possible.  Especially since we can't shoot people without ruining the goods...

Damn you people think small! Here is what I want so that I can control the coastal zone and blast any point in Chernarus at will. And as a kicker I want some 14" VX Nerve gas rounds.

bb%2043%204%2012%2043-L.jpg

USS Tennessee in its post Pearl Harbor (1944) iteration. But in the spirit of The former Soviet Block I'll settle for this

kirov_class.jpg

Sorry Xbow you're still not thinking BIG enough, it has to go further and harder than that, plus, adding every fricking military firearm and scope known to man. What is scary is when I hear comments like 'its in CS though´or others to that effect makes me see where some people want to take this game.

• Like 1

The only large scale "military" weapon I would like to see in the game is honestly a 60mm mortar.

300px-M224_mortar_firing.jpg

Heavy , complicated to use, limited range of about 3900m.

The only way such a weapon would work in game however is if its recreated exactly how the real world equivalent is. No easy indirect fire, no artillery computer where you point and click on a map.

Even then they would be heavy so transporting them around would be impossible if a stamina and weight is added. The mortar would work well for base defense and perhaps base assault in the late stages of development.

But potentially the biggest addition such a thing would bring forth is a source of munitions for IEDS.

82mmRCIED_-_600.jpg

Tanks, APCs, IFV , Helicopters, gunships, jets all would be too much imo

• Like 2

How about the ability to do this guys:

and this would be swell 

Both would be swell for Zeds and other players

Bit I want one of these as well:

Assaulting Novodmitrovsk

Or we could understand that The survivors in Chernarus would really be armed with a hodgepodge of civilian and military weapons and the game isn't supposed to be a military dress up game for dweebs. OK I wear all military gear in the game but only because they blend in a bit and most importantly have lots of pockets. Civilian outwear exists that would do quite nicely. 

Edited by Xbow

The only large scale "military" weapon I would like to see in the game is honestly a 60mm mortar.

But potentially the biggest addition such a thing would bring forth is a source of munitions for IEDS.

Personaly I don't want to see any large scale military weapon, not mortars, not artillery, nothing like that.

I think that RPG is like the maximum suited for DayZ plus maybe some heavier MG's mounted on jeep or such.

IED's sounds great and lets not forget that mortar shells could spawn even without actual platform to fire it.

On the other hand, if we will be able to craft some IED's then maybe our "empty vessel" avatars will start resembling something like pro russian separatist and less the civilian survivor of the zombie apocalypse.

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 1

On the other hand, if we will be able to craft some IED's then maybe our "empty vessel" avatars will start resembling something like pro russian separatist and less the civilian survivor of the zombie apocalypse.

You are not an empty vessel, but a Macgyver clone. Able to administer blood bags and IV drips, install a KAC rail system on an M4A1 with no hex key set, swipe the handguards or buttstock on any AK pattern weapon in seconds as well as convert an AKM into an AKMS with no tools. Lets not forget saw down rifles and shotguns without fear of failure.

Regular helicopters are far from being too much, and even some with a PK, M240, or M60D on the side wouldn't kill anyone, especially with a realistic flight model.

Working aircraft should definitely be a part of the endgame, although yes, they should be much more difficult to repair, operate, and maintain, than they were in the mod.

Gunships, jets, IFVs, APCs, and Tanks, I'm only opposed to them because actually taking them down is very difficult and requires specific weaponry, i.e. a tank can ONLY be destroyed by a powerful-enough explosive, whereas enough concentrated small-arms fire will eventually down a helicopter (and a gunship, but they have too heavy an armament to be worth adding)

Regular helicopters are far from being too much, and even some with a PK, M240, or M60D on the side wouldn't kill anyone, especially with a realistic flight model.

Working aircraft should definitely be a part of the endgame, although yes, they should be much more difficult to repair, operate, and maintain, than they were in the mod.

Gunships, jets, IFVs, APCs, and Tanks, I'm only opposed to them because actually taking them down is very difficult and requires specific weaponry, i.e. a tank can ONLY be destroyed by a powerful-enough explosive, whereas enough concentrated small-arms fire will eventually down a helicopter (and a gunship, but they have too heavy an armament to be worth adding)

Helos I would hate from a realism standpoint.

The likelihood of having even 1 person out of 60 even know how to start up a helicopter let alone how to pilot one is insane.

Then come the gameplay reasons why choppers are a horrible idea. The way Arma renders terrain means one simple pass from a helicopter and the people piloting it know exactly where stashes, vehicles and everything else is hidden.

Sticking to land vehicles would be far better for gameplay.

• Like 1

Helos I would hate from a realism standpoint.

The likelihood of having even 1 person out of 60 even know how to start up a helicopter let alone how to pilot one is insane.

Then come the gameplay reasons why choppers are a horrible idea. The way Arma renders terrain means one simple pass from a helicopter and the people piloting it know exactly where stashes, vehicles and everything else is hidden.

Sticking to land vehicles would be far better for gameplay.

The renderer is being rebuilt, the only actual overviews we've had of the Chernarus+ terrain are from ports to ArmA 3 and that's not representative of what you see in DayZ (keep in mind that ArmA 3 had few forests).

I never suggested making it easy, perhaps they could even borrow the Take On Helicopters flight system, which actually requires you to have some knowledge of aircraft before going into it, so that you wouldn't just have some freshspawn running to the NWAF and hopping into a Huey.

Having a functioning car isn't really where the final progression of the game should be, to me. There should be a point in which you are actually noticeably capable beyond "normal standards", and if that means having tanks instead of helicopters (or cars/trucks armored up like tanks), then that's what has to be done.

Getting to an AK with one magazine and an old beat up Lada is not something that I want to be my proudest moment.